kiwiinoz

The A-Net Book Club - Best Read Ever?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:00 am

Has been discussed before but is always good to update so we know what to pick up next time we are at Borders.

For me, I have to say the best book I have read in recent times is "A Fine Balance", by Rohinton Mistry. Is an amazing and realistic story of a group of people wrestling with societal status quo, it's characters display amazing humanity in the face of ever mounting adversity.

It moved me, and I'm very rarely moved.

What about all you readers, what can you recommend??

gordonsmall

RE: The A-Net Book Club - Best Read Ever?

Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:01 am

Best book I ever read was "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin ......  Smile
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

jafa39

Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:56 am

"Birthplace of the Winds" by Jon Bowermaster.

"Birthplace of the Wind is Jon Bowermaster's riveting chronicle of his kayaking and mountaineering expedition to one of the loneliest, inhospitable, and wildly beautiful spots on Earth -- the volcanic peaks of Alaska's Aleutian Islands. As exciting as writing gets, National Geographic Adventure Press takes readers to the ends of the Earth -- and to the limits of human experience. "
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

Aeroflot777

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 1):
Best book I ever read was "The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse" by Robert Rankin ......

Lol! The name sounds promising...

Aeroflot777

petmbro

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 pm

My favorite was Night Fall. I finished it last month, very good book for all you who were interested in TW800 and the investigation, plus the ending was really interesting.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

fxramper

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:51 pm

I always enjoy the end of a Grishman novel...he usually ends up tearing your heart out the last page.  drunk 

Logan22L

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:00 pm

I am an ardent lover of one Charles Bukowski. He really told it like it was, at least from his perspective. He's universally loved and/or hated, and that was no surprise to him. I have over 40 of his works; I couldn't possibly pick one.

As for others, I'd say the one book that riveted me the most was Dostoevsky's "Crime and Punishment." 400-odd pages and I couldn't put it down. Camus' "The Plague" is a close second.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

2H4

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:08 pm

My favorite book: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

From Salon.com:

The book's second half is devoted to the author's recent move to France, where his boyfriend owns an 18th century house in a remote village. Sedaris' quixotic tilts at the language barrier interest him far more than bashing the French -- refreshingly, he has nothing against them. During the course of one warlike language class, his fellow students try to explain the concept of Easter, in beginning French, to a baffled Muslim classmate:

The Poles led the charge to the best of their ability. "It is," said one, "a party for the little boy of God who call his self Jesus and ... oh, shit." She faltered and her fellow countryman came to her aid.

"He call his self Jesus and then he be die one day on two ... morsels of ... lumber."

Sedaris tries with dogged perversity to boost his scant vocabulary on his own, making himself hundreds of flash cards to learn the words for "slum," "facial swelling," "death penalty," "slaughterhouse," "sea monster" and so on. You'll find few winks here to suggest that the author is deliberately exaggerating his eccentricities -- the corkscrew derangement of his worldview is ruthlessly consistent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Favorite: Road Fever by Tim Cahill

From Library Journal:

This is a hip, rather self-indulgent, yet ultimately triumphant account of an attempt to break the Guinness Book of World Re cords time for a road trip from the tip of South America to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Cahill and endurance driver Gary Sowerby spent 23 days piloting a truck while battling customs snafus, mechanical problems, bad roads, civil rebellions, terrorists, bandits, the vagaries of weather, their own anxieties and mood swings, and physical exhaustion, with grit and bluff, sporting lapel pins and consuming donated four-month shelf-life milkshake packages. For all the comic-opera aspects of the text, Cahill is an informed, serious commentator on the history and prospects of the countries through which they pass.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

xpat

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:09 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Thread starter):
"A Fine Balance", by Rohinton Mistry

thumbsup  Definitely his best book.

Recently, I've enjoyed "Aloft" by Chang Rae Lee, the language, the internal conflict of the protagonist is great.
The only thing we have to fear is the sky falling on our heads. -Asterix

ArmitageShanks

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:43 pm

"The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" was the best book I ever read.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...-1996964-2111344?v=glance&n=283155

Great read about this true adventure.

Logan22L

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:54 pm

The whole lot of you need to read the definition of literature. God what sorry asses you portray.

jafa39

Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 10):
The whole lot of you need to read the definition of literature

Well, if the last book I had put down was Bukowski, he would have made my post but I am awaiting the next delivery  Wink

kiwiinoz

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 pm

The whole lot of you need to read the definition of literature. God what sorry asses you portray.

This is an interesting post. Let us know what you are suggesting. I am always interested in progressing to a higher form of literature.

skidmarks

Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Can't beat a good Terry Pratchet Discworld novel!

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

jafa39

Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 9):
"The Strange Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst" was the best book I ever read.

His was a peculiar story indeed!

Matt72033

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:02 pm

i enjoyed the Patricia Cornwell books!

NeilYYZ

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:14 pm

I only read non-fiction and mostly political books.

Recently I have read Sean Hannity's 'Let Freedom Ring' and 'The Right Man' by David Frum, I enjoyed both of them.

Now, I have a question for all of you, do any of you have a good book on middle eastern politics?

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

aerorobnz

Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:17 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 13):
Can't beat a good Terry Pratchett Discworld novel!

Correct. Especially
Monstrous Regiment
Going Postal
Thief of Time
Any of them with Death as a main character, or Lord Vetinari. I love the ones that are mocking 'roundworld' traditions and customs completely.

Add 'Darwin's Watch - the Science of Discword 3" onto the list as well. I enjoyed that, and I've just started on 'Thud' which I bought the other day. It looks to be another with a darker subtext than the humour suggests. Looks to be another winner.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

comorin

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Xpat (Reply 8):

Wow! That is my favorite book too... and I usually pass on that genre of writing. Rohinton is the closest to Dickens I can think of. I also liked 'Brick Lane' by Monica Ali a lot.

Another amazing book by a fellow Canadian is, of course, 'Life of Pi'.

I really like this thread! I hope to learn a lot from fellow a.netters - this isn't about the best book, but the best read (as in enjoy).

Logan22L - maybe it's time to crack open a Biggles?  Wink

7FTwinOtter

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:15 am

Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is by far the most amazing book i've read. I would highly recomend anybody with an interest in aviation to check it out.

some great Saint-Exupery quotes;

"A chief is a man who assumes responsibility. He says "I was beaten," he does not say "My men were beaten". "

"We say nothing essential about the cathedral when we speak of its stones. We say nothing essential about Man when we seek to define him by the qualities of men. "

�I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things�

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well. "

"Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction."

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 12):
Let us know what you are suggesting

Here are some suggestions:

Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment, Notes from Underground

Camus: The Plague, The Stranger, A Happy Death

Kafka: The Castle, The Trial

Sartre: Nausea

Kerouac: Dharma Bums, The Subterraneans

Celine: Journey to the End of the Night

Solzhenitsyn: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Trumbo: Johnny Got His Gun

Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Charriere: Papillon

It doesn't all have to be high-brow stuff, either. Have fun!

cornish

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:21 am

The Name of the rose by Umberto Eco.

Read it years ago - great story, but what makes the difference is the wonderful language used - it just draws you deeper and deeper into it.

Focaults Pendulum was great too, but you need a HUGE amount of free time to read it. Spending a year teaching until lunchtime and then hanging out in the sunshine by the lake in Eastern Europe gave me just about enough time to finish it  Smile
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Banco

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 20):

What an outstanding choice sir....  Wink
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Dougloid

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:46 am

Here are some suggestions:

Dostoevsky: Crime and Punishment, Notes from Underground

Camus: The Plague, The Stranger, A Happy Death

Kafka: The Castle, The Trial

Celine: Journey to the End of the Night

Solzhenitsyn: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Trumbo: Johnny Got His Gun

Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Smeg all that stuff except for Charriere and Solzhenitsyn-I am surprised that you included one of his lesser works and left out The Gulag Archipelago.

I had all that other crap drilled into my head through high school and eight years of college and it spoils the love of reading just like drinking Sterno spoils the appreciation of good liquor.

I am surprised you didn't add Joyce's Ulysses and Hardy's The Return of the Native and other such monstrously boring pedantic claptrap from the Wasters of Good Serviceable Paper.

If I believed you there wouldn't be anything edifying written in the last fifty years.

What am I reading right now?

William Golding: Pincher Martin

Battles of the '45: Tomasson and Buist
The Great Thirst:Norris Hundley
The Bounty: Caroline Alexander
Crossing the Next Meridian: Charles F. Wilkinson

History of Ireland: Malachy Court
Rough Stone Rolling: Richard Bushman
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 23):
If I believed you there wouldn't be anything edifying written in the last fifty years.

I also have over 40 books by Charles Bukowski, the entire collection of John Fante, and am currently reading A Confederacy of Dunces. I was just offering some options on what I thought to be good literature. Maybe you've had these shoved down your throat - I have not. I read each of those of my own choosing.

BTW, I forgot:

Kosinski: The Painted Bird.

nighthawk

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:43 am

Currently reading "A short history of nearly everything" - Bill Bryson.

Good book, depending on what your into some bits can be great, and others a little boring, but worth reading anyway.

Im almost finished it, so better start looking for a new book to read. I fancy a book on airline management if anyone has any recommendations..? Big grin

EWROwznj00

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:18 am

Stephen King: Dolores Claireborne, Misery

Camus: The Stranger, The Myth of Sisyiphus

Beckett: Waiting for Godot

Zadie Smith: White Teeth
Yes, there is a typo in my username. No need to point it out.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting 7FTwinOtter (Reply 19):
Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Just read his book "Le Petit Prince" and you'll find out how screwed up this poor man was!

A Fine Balance", by Rohinton Mistry

If you enjoy Rohinton Mistry, I would highly recommend "Journey to Dharmsala". Arguably one of his best pieces, it is not extremely moving, but it is a REALLY good read.

As for my favorite...I'm sorry guys but I'm going to have to stick with the classics here and go for "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger.

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 am

So if this is the case, I was wondering what this:

was referring to you. Feeding a superiority complex by pretending to be an intellectual? It's about as convincing as, "natural look" fake boobs.

irelayer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:01 am

My favorite read in the past couple of years:

1) Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (A.K.A Blade Runner), by Phillip K. Dick
2) High Fidelity by Nick Hornby
3) A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick
4) Have Spacesuit Will Travel by Robert Heinlein
5) Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

My favorite reads of all time are:

1) LOTR trilogy
2) Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke
3) (non-fiction) Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 28):
was referring to you. Feeding a superiority complex by pretending to be an intellectual? It's about as convincing as, "natural look" fake boobs.

My friend and I were having a discussion the other day about how people buy books for cachet, put them on their bookshelves, and never read them. We figured, based on the amount of name-dropping that goes on, that those books were probably "War And Peace", "Crime and Punishment", "Heart of Darkness", "The Picture of Dorian Gray", "etc etc...

It is the same with music. Everyone knows who Bob Dylan is and shouts "Oh yeah, Bob Dylan, he's great" everytime it comes up but I would venture a guess that 99% of those people do not listen to Bob Dylan.

This thread is the perfect opportunity for someone like Logan to name-drop a bunch of books that he probably has never read (but would like to) and sound smart. I love it.

-IR

[Edited 2006-02-06 22:08:18]

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 25):

Love it, try, "Notes from a small Island" too

ScarletHarlot

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:21 am

One of my favourite books of all time is "Eagle in the Sky" by Wilbur Smith.

Eagle in the Sky is a novel about combat flying in Israel and violence in the African bush - but it is above all a love story, and a superb one.

David Morgan, handsome orphan heir to the South African Morgan fortune, has always known since his first flying lesson at the age of fourteen that he will be a flier. After taking a short service commission in the air force he evades the tentacles of the family firm and sets off with restless spirit to tour Europe. There he meets two Israelis, Debra and her brother Joe. Pursuing Debra to Jerusalem, David is drawn by his love for her into the life of her family and her land, for Debra's father and brother are fliers too. Rules are bent and David becomes a Mirage pilot in the Israeli air force. He has found his place at last.

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/books/eagle.html

Damned good book. Somewhat schmoopy. I love that the book is about Israel and South Africa - Wilbur Smith writes in detail about both places and what it means to live in each one.

The Chronicles of Narnia are awesome books. And I am NOT jumping on the movie bandwagon (actually I refuse to go see it). I have the whole set, and you should see how tattered they are - I got them when I was about nine years old. They are excellent books.
But that was when I ruled the world

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:25 am

Feeding a superiority complex by pretending to be an intellectual?

You'll be alright. They're just the books I've liked. I'm not pretending to be anything, and my earlier comment was just to  stirthepot . I guess I did.

SFOMEX

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 21):
The Name of the rose by Umberto Eco.

I'm reading it right now! The last two books I read were Cuentos Chinos by Andres Oppenheimer (an interesting essay on Latin American economy and politics – Spanish) and Mary, Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

saxdiva

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 25):

I found this to be a page-turner, and I can't recommend it enough.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):

My favorite book: Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

I couldn't call it my favorite, but it was sure fun to read.

Also, Sartre's No Exit, and no red-blooded American should read Kerouac without making sure they get to On the Road.

BTW, Logan... check out Gabriel Garcia Marquez if you haven't already. You'll probably want to start with One Hundred Years of Solitude.

A couple of recommendations, as well as things I'm currently reading BESIDES work stuff:

Mark Twain, Letters From the Earth. This is unbelievably funny.... just don't read it if you're a hard-core fundamentalist Christian and have no sense of humor.

Thomas L. Friedman, The Lexus and the Olive Tree: Understanding Globalization. I'm working on this now... so far, it's great.

Bob Woodward, Maestro: Greenspan's Fed and the American Boom. Another book I'm about halfway through.

David Berlinski, A Tour of the Calculus If you're a geek, you'll dig this one.

That's enough posting... must go read now!
-Leanne

Dougloid

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:43 am

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 34):
Also, Sartre's No Exit, and no red-blooded American should read Kerouac without making sure they get to On the Road.

I can do without Kerouac. Having spent a couple years attending a slightly whacky junior college in the 1960s I have listened to the ravings of speed freaks plenty enough so that I don't need any more.

There are other and better exponents of the beat generation. Laurence Ferlinghetti, for one.

On the other hand, if you need to read a novel of the road, The Grapes of Wrath is as good as it gets.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

fumanchewd

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:54 am

I don't have a favorite, but I have a list.
A couple off of that would be

Ralp Ellison's-Invisible Man.
Camus-The Stranger.
Henry Miller-Tropic of Cancer
Dostoevsky-C&P, The Brothers K
Thomas Mann-Doctor Faustus/Magic Mountain
Unabridged letters of Vincent Van Gogh
Most Shakespeare
Goethe-Faust

and last but not least......

Penthouse Forum
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

sleekjet

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 am

Go to the New Testament and read Acts. Authored by Dr. Luke, who wrote well and from his unique perspective as a physician.
II Cor. 4:17-18

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 35):
Laurence Ferlinghetti, for one

Nixon Nixon bush league President this is a populist hymn to you and yours And I begin with your face and come back to your face for 'our history is noble and tragic like the mask of a tyrant' And the mask an actor wears is apt to become his face...

"Tyrannus Nix?" c. 1969

I find much of Kerouac somewhat pedantic, but I did enjoy "Dharma Bums" and "Subterraneans."

no red-blooded American should read Kerouac without making sure they get to On the Road.

Cliche, IMO.

check out Gabriel Garcia Marquez if you haven't already. You'll probably want to start with One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I shall endeavor to do so.

kmh1956

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 24):
was just offering some options on what I thought to be good literature.

Surely what constitutes good literature, like art, is subjective?
I thoroughly enjoyed Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" (considered by snobs to be 'good literature'), but also had a rollicking good time reading "Sex, Lies and Vampires"....good fun, and hysterically funny.....

To me, 'good literature' is a book that you can sit down with and enjoy, lose yourself in...moments of escapism, if you will....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

saxdiva

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 35):
On the other hand, if you need to read a novel of the road, The Grapes of Wrath is as good as it gets.

I've always been a Steinbeck fan, but I keep it out on conversations with Mr. Diva, who can be a bit of a literary snob at times.

But I just realized there's another worthwhile novel of the road: Twain's Travels With Charley.

BTW, I've had Bertolt Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle come recommended. Anyone ever read it? It's been sitting on the shelf, making me feel guilty, for about a month now.

dl021

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:34 am

The best book ever.

The first one to come to mind is Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad. Right after that is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes's The Hound of the Baskervilles.

I'm not going to say that these are the best two books ever, but they are worth the read and they were the first ones to come to mind.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

NoUFO

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:36 am

If I had to pick only one, it would probably be "The Cidre House Rules" by John Irving.
I support the right to arm bears

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 39):
Surely what constitutes good literature, like art, is subjective?

Absolutely. Kiwiinoz just got his pants in a wad because I spouted off about literature after having too many beers during the superbowl last night.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 40):
Mr. Diva, who can be a bit of a literary snob at times

We'll get along just fine in LAS, then.

dl021

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 27):
Just read his book "Le Petit Prince"

Terrific book. I loved it, and he definitely had some interesting visions of life. Aviator, too. Fellow aviation geek, he would have definitely been.

Feeding a superiority complex by pretending to be an intellectual? It's about as convincing as, "natural look" fake boobs.

Well, just so you know...since you are turning this into an opportunity for insult instead of an exchange of book opinions.... Logan22L is not only a certified and employed-as-such scientist, but he's also a well versed musician and appreciator of the arts. He's got more appreciation for culture and creativity than most people I've met in my travels around the world. This doesn't mean he's not a geek or that his mother doesn't dress him funny, but he's certainly not the poseur you attempt to make him out to be in your psuedo-intellectual wanna-be snobbery.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 31):
The Chronicles of Narnia are awesome books.

Heck yes. Also Shadowlands and everything else by Lewis or by Tolkien.

Oh, yeah. Try anything written by Bernard Cornwell for historical fiction, and Turtledove for alternate history.

Hell, since I'm getting warmed up let's go for Asimov (pick I, Robot for starters) and of course Stephen King (The Stand is the book to start).

OK...and anything by WEB Griffin (start with the Brotherhood of War series), and Tom Clancy (go ahead...read Red Storm Rising to read him at his best) before he got lazy and hired others to write for him.
And Clive Cussler because he writes engaging stuff and it's great for airplane reading.

Ok......one more suggestion for a book to read....Tartuffe...or anything by Moliere. "Les Miserables" by Hugo. ok so that's two, but there you are.

Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"

That's it for now.

[Edited 2006-02-07 04:01:24]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

saxdiva

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 43):
I spouted off about literature after having too many beers during the superbowl last night.

Huh? Doesn't that combination of factors usually lead to wife-beating?

You, my dear sir, are a GIANT geek.  Big grin

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:12 pm

Absolutely. Kiwiinoz just got his pants in a wad because I spouted off about literature after having too many beers during the superbowl last night.

No wads here, (I can't find a post that suggests that I was annoyed), and I must admit when I first saw your post I did consider that it might be alcohol induced.

As usual, wind ups when drunk seem really clever at the time, but are usually cause for embarrassment the morning after.

Thanks for the reccomendations everyone. My shopping list is growing!!!

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 44):
OK...and anything by WEB Griffin (start with the Brotherhood of War series), and Tom Clancy (go ahead...read Red Storm Rising to read him at his best) before he got lazy and hired others to write for him.

I'll echo that sentiment . . .

Griffin has a new Series out finally - first book, "By Order of the President". I have all of Griffin's books, all of Clancy's books, all of DeMercurio's Books . . .

"My American Journey" by Gen. Colin Powell.

Also the John Sanford "Prey" Series . . . excellent.

That's a good start.

There are well over a thousand books in my library . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:16 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 44):
since you are turning this into an opportunity for insult instead of an exchange of book opinions

To be fair, I did start it...see below.

Quoting Saxdiva (Reply 45):
I spouted off about literature after having too many beers during the superbowl last night.

Huh? Doesn't that combination of factors usually lead to wife-beating?

Well that's a bit harsh even for a reed player.  Wink Even my ex-wife would back me up on this.

kiwiinoz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 48):
To be fair, I did start it...see below.

lol, I was about to let out my best schoolyard tantrum version of, "HE STARTED IT" but you beat me to it!!