fumanchewd

Buddhas Of Bamiyan

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:50 am

As has been said in a previous deleted thread...perhaps if I don't swear than the mods will be nice.

The Buddhas of Bamiyan were destroyed by the Taliban under the orders of Mullah Mohammed Omar. In light of the recent Danish events in which moslems are claiming that the sacred image of Mohammed has been desecrated, there seems to be a hypocritical attitude that Islam does not wish to address. That is, when moslems blow up the 2,000 year old buddha statues while much of the moslem world sat back and watched, there were no mass demonstrations or violence. Part of this has to do with the beliefs of buddhists, but there were only a few objections by Islam- nothing serious was initiated to stop the destruction.

http://www.photogrammetry.ethz.ch/re...ch/bamiyan/buddha/destruction.html

In light of this, what right does Islam have to expect a sovereign nation to repeal their citizen's rights. It is after all, only a drawing. Something was created for people to express themselves. Nothing was destroyed like the Mullah had done with the statues.

I am aware that Islam, much like most Western religions, promotes conversion and assimilation, yet to destroy an object of veneration older than Mohammed himself, must surely have been outrageous to moslems. So why did they not stop this? To me this seems to be a very selfish and centralist attitude.

Can there be a fair discussion concerning this hypocrisy that I am hearing from many moslems that religous sentiments should be held above free speech, yet if it involves someone else's religion, than desecration is not so outrageous?
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

aloges

RE: Buddhas Of Bamiyan

Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:58 am

Awww... your previous version was so much more entertaining!  Wink

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

david b.

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:09 am

Fumanchewd, what did the pope say? LOL
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

fumanchewd

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting David b. (Reply 2):
Fumanchewd, what did the pope say? LOL

@#%$ ^%%$^%$^%$^ !@#!@#!@#@% ##$@#@#%@7!!!!!!!

OK mods, try to play hangman with that! Wink

aloges

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:21 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 3):
OK mods, try to play hangman with that!

I apologise for the mention of Czech Airlines in your post, they are from an infid... oh phone it.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Logan22L

Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Thread starter):
there seems to be a hypocritical attitude that Islam does not wish to address

Very true. However, hypocrisy is the least of our concerns in light of extremists who would have the entire world forced into Islam.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

aseem

Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:00 am

At that time Indian and Japanese govts had jointly approached Taliban, requesting them to allow moving statues to either of the countries (not sure how it would have been possible). But that was never allowed to happen, maybe it didn't fit into Taliban's scheme of things.

Something interesting to read Time Asia
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

HAWK21M

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:54 am

Maybe they should be rebuilt.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

frequentflyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:34 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 7):

Yes they should, and protected from bigots.
Take off and live

aseem

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 am

how does one rebuilt them? They were carved out of stone. Moreover, rebuilding them at the same location won't be a wise decision. Can anyone guarantee stability in Afghanistan for next 2000 yrs.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:41 am

Quoting Frequentflyer (Reply 8):

Yes they should, and protected from bigots.

That would be like rebuilding the ruins of the Parthenon or any of the traditional 7 wonders of the ancient world. This aint Vegas, baby.

Those big gaping holes should be left as is, as an endless reminder of the wretched ignorance and bigotry of the Taliban.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

fumanchewd

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:30 am

There has been some discussion about rebuilding
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1790674.stm

Its a good idea, but I have read that they built these buddhas along a trade "highway" where millions of buddhists over the last 2,000 years have passed. They have been able to see them from a mile a way and pray even if they were in a hurry. That is an AWESOME legacy that has been destroyed in the name of a different religion and can never be fully recovered.

But, moslems do not believe in the veneration of images or statues.

L-188

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:35 am

I think they have looked at that a decided that it isn't practical.

I know there was one artist,from Japan I think, who was discussing installing lasers and having them trace the outlines of the budda's in the now empty niches. I don't know if that has gone anywhere.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Doona

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:37 am

I thought Bamiyan was a chinese food-chain in Japan?  scratchchin 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

aseem

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 11):
but I have read that they built these buddhas along a trade "highway" where millions of buddhists over the last 2,000 years have passed.

yes, it is along the southern branch old Silk Route.
rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

frequentflyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 10):
That would be like rebuilding the ruins of the Parthenon or any of the traditional 7 wonders of the ancient world. This aint Vegas, baby.

Then find a symbol for it that'll do it.

Those big gaping holes should be left as is, as an endless reminder of the wretched ignorance and bigotry of the Taliban.

Certainly not. Ignorance has to be fought. And overcome.
Take off and live

prebennorholm

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 pm

They should be rebuilt. I'm pretty sure they will be rebuilt.

But it is hardly time yet to start. Time is hardly up yet to take the decision. It may last ten years. Maybe even fifty years to come to that conclusion.

And when it has been decided to rebuild them, then it may take another 200 years to finish them.

It doesn't matter. As long as they are not forgotten. And they can never be forgotten. As long as they are not in place, planet earth has a terrible, bleeding wound on that location.

It's the same as if all the pyramides were blow up. They would be rebuilt as a world effort, but it would take very long time.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Alessandro

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:03 pm

I still think it´s should be rebuilt and muslims should pay for it, especially those from Afghanistan and Pakistan who did this.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

AA777

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Thread starter):
That is, when moslems blow up the 2,000 year old buddha statues while much of the moslem world sat back and watched, there were no mass demonstrations or violence. Part of this has to do with the beliefs of buddhists, but there were only a few objections by Islam- nothing serious was initiated to stop the destruction.

Sadly, very few people cared about the goings-ons in Afghanistan at the time. You might recall that the U.S. even supported the Taliban pre- 9/11. So obviously the U.S. would turn a blind eye to them destroying priceless pieces of history. You would also know, if you did research, that there was much disapproval among moderate afghans when the statues were destroyed. You arent discriminating enough between MODERATE muslim = majority, and fundamentalist Muslims = MINORITY.

-AA777

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting Aseem (Reply 9):
They were carved out of stone

This aint Vegas

Its not practical to Recarve it.But maybe reconstruct it with other materials.
regds
MEL

jaysit

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:21 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 19):
This aint Vegas

Its not practical to Recarve it.But maybe reconstruct it with other materials.
regds
MEL

If you rebuild a classic piece of art or architecture from antiquity, it is no longer that. Its a cheesy replica. It's schmaltz. Back when these Buddhas were built, people didn't have modern engineering tools, machines, and cranes. The fact that the ancients built these based on spiritual inspiration, artistic vision, and pure chutzpah made them what they are. At best, a small memorial to these statues will be a tacit reminder of the ugliness of bigots for perpetuity.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:26 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 20):

I remember after watching the Video showing its destruction.There was a lot of hurt felt in this country.
regds
MEL

[Edited 2006-02-07 18:30:50]

fumanchewd

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting AA777 (Reply 18):
So obviously the U.S. would turn a blind eye to them destroying priceless pieces of history. You would also know, if you did research, that there was much disapproval among moderate afghans when the statues were destroyed. You arent discriminating enough between MODERATE muslim = majority, and fundamentalist Muslims = MINORITY.

The US did not support the Taliban in the 90's. During the fight with the Soviets the US did supply the Taliban with training and weapons, but once we realized the monstrous potential the US considered them their enemy. As soon as the first attack on the World Trade and the embassy in Africa happened, then the tides changed.

I did do alot of research on this paticular subject, so don't judge me in an area that you know nothing about. The US an NATO did condem the attack but were not in a position to do anything about it. As has been stated above, if you were to try to read, Japan and India attempted to have the Buddha's exported but the Taliban wanted to destroy the "sinful" statues.

The middle eastern Islamic countries were the only ones at the time who had an opportunity to stop the destruction. Besides a few small complaints to appease the media, they did not act in any way to stop the destruction or to SERIOUSLY condemn it.

I can't discriminate between moderate and hardline anymore. I am seeing so many moslems that I would once have considered moderate expressing that they do no want the Western countries to have their freedoms anymore.

Lastly, where were the riots and death threats from the moslem community in defending the sacredness of the buddhist religion? That would be silly, as it is a passive and peaceful religion. But then isn't Islam???????????????????????