Pe@rson
Topic Author

Bob Dylan - Do You Like?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:13 am

Do you like the music from Bob Dylan? Although I don't have any of his CDs, I think some of his music is great (I've listened to a couple of his CDs/tapes). I like a number of his songs, including Just Like A Woman (especially the intro), The Times They Are Changing (or whatever it's called) and others I can't now remember.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

fumanchewd

RE: Bob Dylan - Do You Like?

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:18 am

There are about 15 of his songs that are incredible to me. Some are very annoying and I can see why people don't like him. Overall, he was one of the first to use music as protest in our society and influenced our modern culture in ways that we can't even fathom.

[Edited 2006-02-07 00:24:36]
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

bushpilot

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:23 am

A hell of a songwriter. I own a few of his albums and enjoy them lots. His voice can wear on some people. But in terms of being able to put lyrics to music, the guy is simply a genius.

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:31 am

Dylan certainly has had his ups and downs - something to be expected over a 45-year career. To me, he was the single best songwriter from 1962-1966, and I'd put his albums from this period: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, The Times They are a-Changin', Another Side of Bob Dylan, Bringing it All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde on Blonde in amongst my favorite records of all time. Other notables are:

Blood on the Tracks
Desire
Infidels
Knocked Out Loaded
Oh Mercy

And, the best live recording: The "Royal Albert Hall" - Bootleg Vol. 4, actually recorded in Manchester, UK in May 1966.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

kmh1956

Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:35 am

Love his songs...can't deal with his 'voice'
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

bhmbaglock

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:15 am

Which Bob Dylan?

Druggie, Christian, etc.

Some great stuff despite the voice - as noted above many others sing his songs well also.

There's also some stuff that's bad enough I wouldn't let Michael Bolton's dog shit on it.
Where are all of my respected members going?

MD11Engineer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 1):
Overall, he was one of the first to use music as protest in our society

With you being an American, haven't you heard of Woody Guthrie, the Weavers, the Almanac Singers, the late 19th century and early 20th century labor union songs etc.?

Acvtually the use of music to air protests or a political opinion goes much further back, I could give you examples from the Peasant's wars of the late middle ages.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:24 am

Yes, I love Dylan's music and especially his lyrics. Logan22L is absolutely right about his best period, but he had some nice lyrics later, too. One of his songs that I really like is "Is Your Love In Vain".

Unfortunately, his concert in Belgrade was pure disaster. He showed up drunk (I was very close to the stage and it was obvious) constantly bitching at his other musicians and was in one of the improvisation phases. He changed his songs so much that I had to read in the newspaper a day later that the opening song was "All Along The Watchtower".

As of his live recordings, I used to listen double LP "Dylan at Budokan" time and time again. The concert was in 1979 and came with a nice booklet with his lyrics.

The songs that I really like are:
Just Like A Woman
Blowin' In The Wind
Senor
Is Your Love in Vain
Simple Twist Of Fate (sang also by his former girlfriend Joan Baez)
All Along The Watchtower (OK, Jimy Hendrix did it better)
Mr. Tambourine Man
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

tbar220

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 am

I'm a big fan of Bob Dylan. My favorite record of his is Nashville Skyline:

There's a duet with Johnny Cash on the record which is my favorite.
NO URLS in signature

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:29 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 7):
Blowin' In The Wind

That's a great track.

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 7):
Mr. Tambourine Man

Was Dylan the first person to have that? Or was it The Byrds (1965)? Am listening to The Byrds' version now. Brilliant.  Big grin
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 9):
Was Dylan the first person to have that?

It is most definitely Dylan's song.

Oh, BTW did you listen Joan Baez? Many years ago, I even personally met her and spke with her for some 5-10 minutes. Lovely lady who definitely was one of the significant musicians in 1960s.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:35 am

These lyrics are great. I love Mr Tambourine.  Big grin

Hey! Mr. Tambourine Man, play a song for me,
I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.
In the jingle jangle morning I'll come followin' you.

Take me on a trip upon your magic swirlin' ship,
My senses have been stripped, my hands can't feel to grip,
My toes too numb to step, wait only for my boot heels
To be wanderin'.
I'm ready to go anywhere, I'm ready for to fade
Into my own parade, cast your dancing spell my way,
I promise to go under it.

Though you might hear laughin', spinnin', swingin' madly across the sun,
It's not aimed at anyone, it's just escapin' on the run
And but for the sky there are no fences facin'.
And if you hear vague traces of skippin' reels of rhyme
To your tambourine in time, it's just a ragged clown behind,
I wouldn't pay it any mind, it's just a shadow you're
Seein' that he's chasing.

Then take me disappearin' through the smoke rings of my mind,
Down the foggy ruins of time, far past the frozen leaves,
The haunted, frightened trees, out to the windy beach,
Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free,
Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands,
With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves,
Let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:36 am

Pe@rson, if you're interested in 1960s visit this thread:
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1090901
Click on the link there and you can download some interesting clips from Woodstock. All of them are Quick Movies.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 12):
Pe@rson, if you're interested in 1960s visit this thread:

Haven't you seen my other previous threads, although they featured rather more obscure artists and bands; indeed, only me and KevinL1011 replied to some.  Wink

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:42 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 9):
Was Dylan the first person to have that? Or was it The Byrds (1965)? Am listening to The Byrds' version now. Brilliant.

That was one Robert Zimmerman who penned that classic. The Byrds version is also great.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 6):
Overall, he was one of the first to use music as protest in our society

With you being an American, haven't you heard of Woody Guthrie

I missed that. Our resident engineer is correct; protest music had been going on for a hundred years in American Music. Dylan actually visited Woody Guthrie in his hospital bed in 1960 or 1961.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 4):
Love his songs...can't deal with his 'voice'

While no one would mistake him for Ian Gillan or Van Morrison, I think his voice is very well suited for much of his earlier material. Songs like Boots of Spanish Leather, The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll, Bob Dylan's Dream, A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall, Chimes of Freedom, Subterranean Homesick Blues, It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), Desolation Row, Visions of Johanna, and Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands had this edginess about them that were the perfect foil for his less-than-perfect voice.

LHMark

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:45 am

Bob Dylan to me is like Tim Horton's to a Canadian.

Signed, Logan22L
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 13):
Haven't you seen my other previous threads

I've seen some but with a delay of a day or two  banghead  and always wondered whther to jump in the conversation or not. It just seemed that I was a bit late.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:50 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 14):
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

there are so many of his songs that I simply knew I will forget to mention some that I really like. Thanks for reminding me of that one  bigthumbsup 

Another one:
Knocking On The Heaven's Door
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

searpqx

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:52 am

His songwriting skills are incredible, and I really enjoy most of what he's written, I just prefer that someone else sing it. I'm one of those that just cringe when I hear his voice.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

halls120

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:46 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 2):
A hell of a songwriter. I own a few of his albums and enjoy them lots. His voice can wear on some people.

One of the best songwriters of the 20th century. Too bad he's one of the worst singers of the same century.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
His songwriting skills are incredible, and I really enjoy most of what he's written, I just prefer that someone else sing it. I'm one of those that just cringe when I hear his voice.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 19):
Too bad he's one of the worst singers of the same century

Again, see reply #14 above. I think his dry, sarcastic voice is the prefect accompaniment to his oft-vitriolic lyrics and delivery.

IceTitan447

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:54 am

He has to be the worst performer ever, even worse that RUSH. He sucks so bad, out of tune and, well out of tune!

halls120

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 20):
Again, see reply #14 above. I think his dry, sarcastic voice is the prefect accompaniment to his oft-vitriolic lyrics and delivery.

Early in his career, maybe. After Nashville Skyline his voice became simply painful to listen to.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 21):
He has to be the worst performer ever, even worse that RUSH. He sucks so bad, out of tune and, well out of tune!

You cannot have listened to his best stuff. He works with the best sidemen, writes the best lyrics, and, in his prime, was the single most influential musician on earth. He could not have sucked as much as you say.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 22):
Early in his career, maybe. After Nashville Skyline his voice became simply painful to listen to.

Check out "Blood on the Tracks," 1974.

searpqx

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:20 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 23):

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 20):
I think his dry, sarcastic voice is the prefect accompaniment to his oft-vitriolic lyrics and delivery.

The best I can say for his voice is that, yes, it did 'fit' some of his songs, in the sense that they both made you uncomfortable, which was his intent. Beyond that the nicest I could come to is 'distinctive'. Just never developed an appreciation for it.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

IceTitan447

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 pm

You cannot have listened to his best stuff. He works with the best sidemen, writes the best lyrics, and, in his prime, was the single most influential musician on earth. He could not have sucked as much as you say.

You must be a big fan. I would say GNR did Knockin on Heavens Door 150% better. He wasn't much talent in my eyes, sorry.

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 25):
You must be a big fan. I would say GNR did Knockin on Heavens Door 150% better. He wasn't much talent in my eyes, sorry.

You are certainly entitled to make yourself look like a two-bit rocker with no true appreciation of talent. No skin off my nose at all.  Wink

Truth is Dylan wrote songs that everyone clamored for, had an attitude that made everyonje stand up and take notice, and had the guts to say "fuck you" to his biggest fan base. Check out the Bootleg Vol. 4.

Anyway, let me put it this way:

Elvis made people dance and scream.

The Beatles made people scream and drip.

Dylan made people think.

In the Late 1950s - early/mid 1960s, there were really only these three as big-time players. Dylan did so much more to ADVANCE music than anyone else. Now, cut to late 1966/1967, and I'll give the nod to the Beatles.

LHMark

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 25):

I agree. And Limp Bizkit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes was way better than the original version by The Who.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

TomTurner

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 22):

His phrasing is rather interesting; quite good to my ear. Though his songs have been covered well on occasion, its hard to imagine many good ones done any justice by those with better voices. Something to thing about.

TomTurner

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 14):
Our resident engineer is correct; protest music had been going on for a hundred years in American Music. Dylan actually visited Woody Guthrie in his hospital bed in 1960 or 1961.

Absolutely correct. But in the context of popular music filtered through what many were hearing A.M. or Top40 radio at the time, Dylan's lyrics were something "new". And not simply the "protest" part but simply greater subject range...

PSA53

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:53 pm

I got introduce to Dylan with,"Like A Rolling Stone"
on AM radio top 40.I thought it was a great tune
with also, Jimi Hendrix doing a live version of "Stone"
at Monterey Pop, just as sensational.

Overall,I think Dylan is a music genius,but he had a lot
problems when talking to media that he brought on
by himself that made him look like a jerk.But it might
have been an acting job.
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

IceTitan447

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 26):
You are certainly entitled to make yourself look like a two-bit rocker with no true appreciation of talent. No skin off my nose at all.

You got to be kiddin me. I think Dylan was a waste of space and I'm a two bit rocker? You have no clue what I am, I know what you have yourself out ot be by labeling. Two bit rocker, you gotta be kiddin me.

Don't like it when somebody doesn't like your style of music or performer? Grown up, and get over it. Or are you still bitter over our last meeting?
 Yeah sure

Logan22L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 31):
You got to be kiddin me. I think Dylan was a waste of space and I'm a two bit rocker? You have no clue what I am, I know what you have yourself out ot be by labeling. Two bit rocker, you gotta be kiddin me.

Easy mate, you missed my  Wink , or perhaps you chose to ignore it. To label Dylan a waste of space is true ignorance, however. He single-handedly changed music forever. More so than the Beatles or Elvis. Turn a blind eye if you must. I suspect you have been fed commercial opinions and have never heard the "offending" reality. Don't feel bad. So many others have been ignorant on this also. You're in the majority these days. Seek comfort in that.

Keep in mind I play in a Symphony Orchestra and have played serious jazz for a good number of years until a serious hand injury. I'm not a one-trick pony, and I don't suspect you are either.

Peace.

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Elvis made people dance and scream.

The Beatles made people scream and drip.

Dylan made people think.

Nicely said  bigthumbsup 
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

MD11Engineer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:06 pm

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 10):
Oh, BTW did you listen Joan Baez? Many years ago, I even personally met her and spke with her for some 5-10 minutes. Lovely lady who definitely was one of the significant musicians in 1960s.

I've listened to her at a concert in Berlin's Waldbuehne open air stage. Great voice she's got!

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

fumanchewd

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 27):

I agree. And Limp Bizkit's cover of Behind Blue Eyes was way better than the original version by The Who.

I hope that your are kidding. If not I will place the photograph I took of you from the bushes outside your window in the trash.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

gunsontheroof

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Bob Dylan's music is amazing. I will say that some of his songs suffer from being too long and repetative, but for the most part, he has a very solid repritoire of songs. If you're not familiar with his work, both of his "Greatest Hits" collection provide hours of auditory stimulation.

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 34):

Yes, she does have amazing voice. At one point, in her Belgrade concert, she pushed the microphone aside and sang "Amazing Grace". That performace was something really amazing.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

IceTitan447

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:35 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 32):
To label Dylan a waste of space is true ignorance,

I cant believe that I feel this way, and am called ignorant. Do you think everyone likes him. He may have changed your life with horrible singing, ugly persona, but in my opinion he was bad. I wont argue over who I think is better, or worse, sad you get called names when you disagree on a topic. Oh wait, forgot to put this in there. Smile

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 32):
Don't feel bad. So many others have been ignorant on this also. You're in the majority these days. Seek comfort in that

So once again, name calling. I am happy for you that you played in an Orchestra, but what does that have to do with you being a Dylan fan? Did you need that to drown out the horrible music? Oh, wait Smile

aerobalance

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 am

I'd rather listen to fingernails dragged across a chalkboard.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Sabena332

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:32 am

Bob Dylan's songs are great, my favourite is "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again".

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Logan22L

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 38):
I cant believe that I feel this way, and am called ignorant. Do you think everyone likes him. He may have changed your life with horrible singing, ugly persona, but in my opinion he was bad.

Forget what I think of him. It is of no consequence. Dylan was the single most influential force on arguably the most important R&R band of all time, The Beatles (like 'em or hate 'em, they changed music forever). He also released the longest single in history at the time: Like A Rolling Stone. This changed the nature of recording, pressing and releasing singles forever. He also brought introspection into mainstream song writing - at a time when "doo-wop" was about as sophisticated as it got.

Hate him all you want, I could not care less. But I'm refuting one point of yours: that he was a waste of space. May you have 1/1,000,000th the impact that he had on the world, and you'll be lucky. Clear?

aerobalance

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting Logan22L (Reply 41):
Dylan was the single most influential force on arguably the most important R&R band of all time, The Beatles

Hard to say the most influental - consider Elvis, Carl Perkins, Little Richard and the Beach Boys as other main influnces - and considering that most of their early formative years were spent covering rockabilly and thus their first 5 albums were of this style - I'd consider that genre to have the MOST influence on The Beatles.

Dylan was considered as a source of influence for experimentation - far out man.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Logan22L

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 42):
Hard to say the most influental - consider Elvis, Carl Perkins, Little Richard and the Beach Boys as other main influnces - and considering that most of their early formative years were spent covering rockabilly and thus their first 5 albums were of this style - I'd consider that genre to have the MOST influence on The Beatles.

No question, Tony. However, the Beatle albums that changed music were not the first several albums. It really started with Rubber Soul (late 1965) and went from there. A direct result of Dylan's influence, in particular, on Lennon's lyrics. Yeah, and that other bit...  Wink

NoUFO

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:18 am

Look, what I found an hour ago:

Bob Dylan & Patti Smith live
I support the right to arm bears

IceTitan447

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 am

arguably

I did just that, and was called ignorant. Imagine that.

Hate him all you want, I could not care less

You wouldn't have called names if it didn't bother you. We have bands or performers we like, I don't think he was all that great. He came along in a time when we needed something new, you like him, I don't, move on-dig?

Logan22L

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 45):
You wouldn't have called names if it didn't bother you.

Ignorance is simply the lack of understanding of something. You said:

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 31):
I think Dylan was a waste of space

and I replied:

Dylan was the single most influential force on arguably the most important R&R band of all time, The Beatles (like 'em or hate 'em, they changed music forever). He also released the longest single in history at the time: Like A Rolling Stone. This changed the nature of recording, pressing and releasing singles forever. He also brought introspection into mainstream song writing - at a time when "doo-wop" was about as sophisticated as it got.

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 45):
He came along in a time when we needed something new, you like him, I don't, move on-dig?

It only bothered my that you said he was a waste of space, not that you didn't like him. Innovators, even if you think they suck, forge the future. It's hard to argue that he changed music forever, that's all. Accept that, and I'll gladly move on - you're not arguing my point, so I'll admit it is a bit frustrating.

halls120

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 am

Truth is Dylan wrote songs that everyone clamored for, had an attitude that made everyonje stand up and take notice, and had the guts to say "fuck you" to his biggest fan base.

No one with any sense challenges Dylan's legacy as a songwriter.

His voice, on the other hand, was at best interesting, and at worst simply awful.

Logan22L

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:25 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):
His voice, on the other hand, was at best interesting, and at worst simply awful.

Some of it, mostly in the last 15 years (way to narrow it down, Logan), was downright embarassing. I'll stand by much of his earlier work.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):
No one with any sense challenges Dylan's legacy as a songwriter.

IceTitan???

vaporlock

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 17):
Knocking On The Heaven's Door

Wow, now that was an amazing song!!! Bob Dylan will always be one of the greats!!!

Phyllis  bouncy