airxliban

Iran To Publish Holocaust Cartoons

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:51 am

This is enough to make you retch.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18066746-23109,00.html

Abstract:

Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons
February 07, 2006
IRAN'S largest selling newspaper announced today it was holding a contest on cartoons of the Holocaust in response to the publishing in European papers of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

Pe@rson

RE: Iran To Publish Holocaust Cartoons

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:55 am

Don't you think this 'you've done it to me so I'm going to do it to you' mentality is rather immature? You'd expect it from teenagers, not fully grown and apparently clever people. We live in a world of stupid people.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

n229nw

Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting AirxLiban (Thread starter):

Yes, yes it certainly is.
All Glory to the Hypnotoad!

MDorBust

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:00 am

Wait?

Didn't the president of Iran recently announce that he didn't believe in the reality of the holocaust?

Kind of an odd about face
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

dtwclipper

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:00 am

Well, an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth......

This is just another tactic by Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to take the Iranian populations mind off of domestic issues.

Odd though, Denmark is a Lutheran country. Shouldn't they be finding some bad ass images of Luther (not Lex)?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

searpqx

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 1):
You'd expect it from teenagers, not fully grown and apparently clever people.

True, but since we're talking about Iranian public figures, I don't know that 'fully grown and apparently clever people' applies. . .  stirthepot 

Seriously, as tasteless and childish as this may be, they have every right to hold this contest and publish the cartoons. And they should fully expect a firestorm of criticism over any offensive, libelous or hurtful imagery. But the difference will be at the end of the day, no Iranian embassies will be smoking ruins, and no death threats will be hanging over the head of the Iranian government because of what a paper published.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Aleksandar

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:04 am

Don't you think this 'you've done it to me so I'm going to do it to you' mentality is rather immature?

If all can end up with cartoons, it's the best solution. We can all mock each other and keep on living. As long as there is no destruction, fire, etc. I can live with that.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Delta767300ER

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:05 am

Ahmadinejad strikes again. As much as I cant stand this kat, at least he's entertaining. I am not Jewish however I will say I am offended that they are going to publish anti-Jewish cartoons. You wont see me going around rioting, torching Iranian Embassies, or calling for the deaths of the publishers. Even if they verbally attacked my religion (United Methodist to be specific) I wouldnt go all crazy.

-Delta767300ER

11Bravo

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:05 am

Well, that seems to be about par for the course in the Muslim world these days.

Keep pilling it on there guys. I guess it's not good enough to have very little respect left in the West. You won't be happy until you've made sure you have no respect whatsoever.

[Edited 2006-02-07 02:16:00]
WhaleJets Rule!

Aeroflot777

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 5):
Seriously, as tasteless and childish as this may be, they have every right to hold this contest and publish the cartoons. And they should fully expect a firestorm of criticism over any offensive, libelous or hurtful imagery. But the difference will be at the end of the day, no Iranian embassies will be smoking ruins, and no death threats will be hanging over the head of the Iranian government because of what a paper published.

I agree. Although, I do hate how all of Denmark is getting the blame instead of that one lousy newspaper... It's a pity...

Aeroflot777

L-188

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:07 am

IRAN'S largest selling newspaper announced today it was holding a contest on cartoons of the Holocaust in response to the publishing in European papers of caricatures of the Prophet Mohammed.

How in the hell can you draw a cartoon of something that you don't believe existed in the first place?

Or did Iran just admit that it really did happen?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

petmbro

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:08 am

But the difference will be at the end of the day, no Iranian embassies will be smoking ruins, and no death threats will be hanging over the head of the Iranian government because of what a paper published.

Although these cartoons will most likely be highly offensive and extremely distasteful, I believe the best solution is to just ignore it. We all know they're doing this just to get attention, so the smartest and most mature way to go about this is to ignore it and let it die out. Show them how civilized people act.
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

Stealthz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:11 am

Iran has already made it clear that it is trying to revise history in it's aim of destroying Israel.
Their claim that the Holocaust is fiction , has already made the Iranian state in to the ultimate cartoon, in a way no artist could ever achieve!

C
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!

Boeing4ever

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 11):
Although these cartoons will most likely be highly offensive and extremely distasteful, I believe the best solution is to just ignore it.

Actually, in light of what's going on, the best way to stick it to Iran (which is trying to make some point that by publishing such cartoons, people in the West will somehow torch embassies and come off as hypocrites) is for Israeli papers to pick up the cartoons and publish them. The Iranians can draw whatever they want...if Israelis do this, not only will it shatter Iran's goal and make them look even more foolish, but it's a great way to stand by Denmark and to stand for free speech.

Let Iran bring on all the offensive cartoons it wants...that would have been a more appropriate response in the first place as opposed to burning embassies!

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

bravo45

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:22 am

I believe in taking all measures to make sure nobody ever does such a thing (the publishing of the original cartoons) instead of a tit for tat. This would be another wrong step in the name of protest.

cptkrell

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:24 am

Hmmmm...I wonder how many Jews will take to specified streets and communities and buidings and will torch them in protest as the Iranians have seen so fit to voice their own discontent of such cartoons? I don't think it will be an issue. The Jewish and most "civilized" communities would properly view such acts as "third world".

Anybody wanna make book on who is a real player in the "third world"? Maybe we should invent a new term...errr...the "fourth world" ?.

The USA has many problems; most all are in some stage of mature address.

Only last week there were 5 (6?) southern Baptist churches torced in Georgia, and prejudices against racial/sexual orientation/lifestyle/abortion etc views still (and to a degree will probably always) exsist. But, after a short 200+ years, most of the USAers I know are absolutely disgusted by the thousands of years (and still counting) record of what I'd like to term "fourth world leaders". regards...jack
all best; jack

L410Turbolet

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting Boeing4ever (Reply 13):
Actually, in light of what's going on, the best way to stick it to Iran (which is trying to make some point that by publishing such cartoons, people in the West will somehow torch embassies and come off as hypocrites) is for Israeli papers to pick up the cartoons and publish them. The Iranians can draw whatever they want...if Israelis do this, not only will it shatter Iran's goal and make them look even more foolish, but it's a great way to stand by Denmark and to stand for free speech.

Not only Israeli newspapers. I think it would be great idea for the European newspapers to reprint them as well. The Iranians would end up looking like total fools. And there's nothing as sweet as defeating your enemy using his own weapons.

Quoting Bravo45 (Reply 14):
I believe in taking all measures to make sure nobody ever does such a thing (the publishing of the original cartoons) instead of a tit for tat.

Then you basically believe in censorship.

tbar220

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting Aleksandar (Reply 6):

If all can end up with cartoons, it's the best solution. We can all mock each other and keep on living. As long as there is no destruction, fire, etc. I can live with that.

Amen to that. Even as a Jew, I can deal with this as long as people aren't firing guns and lobbing missiles at eachother.
NO URLS in signature

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 am

While Iran's publication of these Jewish caricature cartoons is childish and while they are ruled by a regime that has no respect for real free speech, why should the publication of these wretched cartoons offend the mavens of free speech on here?

If you (like I) support the right of a Danish newspaper to publish cartoons, many of which were pretty vile by any standard of good taste, why should you scream bloody murder when an Iranian newspaper does the same?

Is it because you find a caricature of a Muslim perfectly acceptable, while that of a Jew offensive? Lets not forget that less than a century ago, the western press (not just Germany, but the UK and the US as well) was no less anti-semitic and published some pretty nauseating depictions of Jews.

If you're going to defend free speech, you have to do it for everyone, including those you find inherently obnoxious.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:34 am

Don't you think this 'you've done it to me so I'm going to do it to you' mentality is rather immature?

So is burning down buildings and blowing shit up.

Nanny Nanny Boo Boo . . . I'm gonna tell my Mommy!!!  sarcastic 

checkmark 

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 17):
Even as a Jew, I can deal with this as long as people aren't firing guns and lobbing missiles at eachother.

If my Israeli Grandmother were still alive, she'd shake her head, and continue to march.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:35 am

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 16):
Not only Israeli newspapers. I think it would be great idea for the European newspapers to reprint them as well. The Iranians would end up looking like total fools. And there's nothing as sweet as defeating your enemy using his own weapons.

That would be the sweetest revenge, and would speak volumes for those who truly believe in free speech. And, yes, Iran would look completely asinine (although its hard to believe that they could top their recent record).

MDorBust

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 18):
If you (like I) support the right of a Danish newspaper to publish cartoons, many of which were pretty vile by any standard of good taste, why should you scream bloody murder when an Iranian newspaper does the same?

I don't see many people here screaming bloody murder about it.

I see some people who are confused by the turn about on the refutation of the holocaust, and some people who think it's childish...
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 21):
I see some people who are confused by the turn about on the refutation of the holocaust, and some people who think it's childish...

That's not the issue here.
The crazy Iranian president has gone on record for months denying the holocaust. That's old hat. We know he's insane.
The issue is the publication of these cartoons in response to the Danish publication of the Muhammed cartoons. Its the tit for tat that's the childish act. The state controlled Iranian press obviously knows that publishing cartoons showing Jesus in a negative light will make much of the Western world yawn and laugh at them even more. Satirizing religion is de rigeur in the West; satirizing genocide is not. Erego, they choose what is the rawest wound in the recent history of the West and mock it in the most offensive way possible.

tbar220

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):

If my Israeli Grandmother were still alive, she'd shake her head, and continue to march.

Huh? I'm not sure what you're getting at.
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 23):
Huh? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Agreeing with your comment here:

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 17):
Even as a Jew, I can deal with this as long as people aren't firing guns and lobbing missiles at eachother.

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

DrDeke

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:56 am

Yes, the holocaust was a terrible and revolting thing, but who cares what some Iranian newspaper prints? Who cares what some Danish newspaper prints? Don't you guys get it? Haven't any of you heard the saying, "Sticks and stones will break my bones but words can never hurt me"?

Yes, I think a cartoon about the holocaust could well be more offensive than a cartoon about the Islamic prophet, but WHAT DOES THAT MATTER?

If someone wants to say or publish something distasteful, it's not really a problem. We don't have to look at it. We don't have to read it. We can act like we want the Islamic folks to act, and simply get over it, even if the cartoons are stupid, obnoxious, offensive, and/or distasteful, because, in the end, it is only a cartoon! The symbol is not the thing symbolized...

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

UAL747

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 am

Here's a comic book on the Holocaust that Ahmadinejad can go and read:

Studied Maus 1 and Maus 2 freshman year of college.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

MidnightMike

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:06 am

How is this possible, according to Iran, the Holocaust never took place.......
NO URLS in signature

MD11junkie

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:13 am

Quick! Let's torch down their embassy!  Yeah sure

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 27):
How is this possible, according to Iran, the Holocaust never took place......

So true... seems like Mr. Ahmadinejad is a BIG opportunist, and pretty populist. Strikes back whenever the situation favors him.
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

Boeing4ever

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:30 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 20):
And, yes, Iran would look completely asinine (although its hard to believe that they could top their recent record).

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. If you do, you're eyes will get stuck bulged out...
 Wow!
...in disbelief.

I have complete and utter faith in the current Iranian regime finding a way to top themselves.

airplane B4e-Forever New Frontiers airplane 

Jamie757

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:49 am

It really is a shame that the world has come to this, it reminds me of a petty squabble I had when I was 14 (without the destruction of course).

no 

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

airtran737

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 am

Jesus, now were getting into a "My dick is bigger than your dick" contest. This guy is an asshole, pure and simple. Iran is quickly digging themselves into a hole, and it wont be long before a coalition force comes and puts them deeper into that hole. I feel sorry for the citizens of Iran who don't follow this guy.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Mexicana757

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 am

Well this sure does sound childish. I wonder what kind of reactions they're expecting to get out this.

omoo

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:02 pm

bummer.....here we go again....
Fly Air Popobawa

rjpieces

Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 19):

Did I miss the joke, or do you really have an Israeli grandmother?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

clipperhawaii

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:18 pm

If you're going to defend free speech, you have to do it for everyone, including those you find inherently obnoxious.

That's right!

I have a feeling that there will be no burning of embassies or protests.

Thus the fundamental difference between "us" and "them".

Choose your sides wisely!
"You Can't Beat The Experience"

Falcon84

Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 36):

That's right!

He got you there, Jaysit. Got you cold.  Smile
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:13 pm

Watch Iranian embassies NOT get burned. Nobody's going to care. Maybe that will show the Islamic world how to deal with stuff they don't like.

Oh, and Ahmadinejad makes an idiot of himself yet again....

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ANCFlyer

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 35):
Did I miss the joke, or do you really have an Israeli grandmother?

No Joke, she's Jewish - that's not news . . .

I'm Dutch, Irish, Cherokee and Israeli . . . Hellofa combination ain't it. Irish and Israeli and Cherokee Temper . . . . I'm not sure what the Dutch part does - probably sits in a corner hoping no one pisses me off.

Quoting Mir (Reply 38):
Maybe that will show the Islamic world how to deal with stuff they don't like.

No a snowball's chance in hell.

I can hear/see it now, no one makes the slightest comment about these Holocaust Cartoons . . . and the Extremists simply sit back laughing "Ha, we showed those infidel SOBs, look at them, they are cowards, they did nothing to regain their honor . . ." Kinda reminds of the Klingons!

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:34 pm

Iran to publish Holocaust cartoons

Keep digging that hole, f#@kers. Maybe you'll find respect at the bottom of that hole. Or not.  Yeah sure

'you've done it to me so I'm going to do it to you' mentality is rather immature

I expect very little from Iran's leadership, and they constantly undershoot the very low bar I've set for them.
E pur si muove -Galileo

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):
Quoting Clipperhawaii (Reply 36):

That's right!

He got you there, Jaysit. Got you cold

In your zealousness to condemn thuggish Islamic fundies, and your cry for unity of the West against noisy Mullahs (I can see T-shirts being printed for the annual "Walk Against the Mullahs"), you obviously don't get it. Obviously, neither does Clipperhawaii (like everything else, but whats new?).

The issue isn't what "they" do or "we" do in retaliation. The issue is that free speech, at least for those who advocate it in its purest form, is equally applicable to those you agree with and those you abhor. Thus, an offensive comment in the Danish press should no more be censured than one in the crazy state controlled Iranian press - that is if you truly believe in complete freedom of speech, good taste be damned (btw, lately the most offensive word in the English language is the word "offensive." Everyone seems to be so offended, that the word "offensive" has become just as meaningless as the phrase "Just say No," but I digress).

Anyone (well, except for some idiots on here) is only too aware that Jews from the Upper West Side of Manhattan or Israeli nightowls on Allenby Street in Tel Aviv aren't going to run around and torch embassies, and overturn buses.

And why should they? Israel and the West are in a position of power viz a viz the Islamic world. Any retaliative efforts by the Iranian press can be brushed off by Israel and the West like a gnat.

soyuzavia

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 pm

If these cartoons are going to be denying the holocaust, then frankly, this is a fucking brilliant move on the part of the Hamshahri newspaper. I see people here are commenting wouldn't it be great for European and Israeli papers to publish them to show that there is free speech. Well, sorry, but the fact is, there is no such thing as total free speech in many European countries, and also Israel.

Try standing outside the Reichstag, Knesset, etc and shout out that the Holocaust never happened

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocaust_denial

Quote:
Public denial of the Holocaust is a criminal offence in Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Switzerland, and is punishable by fines and jail sentences.

There isn't an outlet in any of those countries which would publish any such cartoons, as 1) it is tantamount to that outlet publicly denying the slaughter of Jews in WWII occurred, and hence could be charged, or 2) if no charges were laid, then it would open the floodgates for Holocaust deniers to challenge the legality of laws as they stand in those above countries.

So sure, let's see the Europeans print them. Would be interesting to see just what happens as a result of it, particularly if those who printed them tried to then use the worn out "free speech" argument to defend why they printed them.

jaysit

Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 43):
Try standing outside the Reichstag, Knesset, etc and shout out that the Holocaust never happened

But that isn't what the newspapers would be saying. The publication of these anti-semitic cartoons would obviously come with a disclaimer and a statement pointing out that the Hamshahri newspaper published them.

I agree with you, however, that they would never be published. But then I also believe that in less than a month all of this will blow over, and we'll be talking about something new.

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 16):
The Iranians would end up looking like total fools

I think we've hit on one thing the Iranians and Ana Nicole Smith have in common--it takes zero effort for them to look like complete dipsh!ts. In fact it would shock the world if either of them actually did anything intelligent and/or productive. Silly
E pur si muove -Galileo

PIA777

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:03 pm

I would think Iran would have better things to do in this Holy month of
Muharrum. I hope its not true.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

soyuzavia

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 44):
But that isn't what the newspapers would be saying. The publication of these anti-semitic cartoons would obviously come with a disclaimer and a statement pointing out that the Hamshahri newspaper published them.

And that too is true.

And then all any neo-Nazi group in Germany (they still exist of course!) would need to do is start up their own newspaper (freedom of the press, right), have their articles printed in Iran first, then publish them in their own newspaper, with the same disclaimer. The prosecution team would be sitting there going yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but.

As I mentioned, it will open the floodgate doors, and the point of the Iranian newspaper would be well proven - it is not ok to publicly vilify Jews, but it is quite ok to vilify Muslims.

ly7e7

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:23 pm

Islamic reaction to cartoons: well known.

Israeli reaction: official protest to the UN.

Mods, - I think you can close this thread  Smile

2 things are endless: ignorance and space

MaverickM11

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Soyuzavia (Reply 45):
As I mentioned, it will open the floodgate doors, and the point of the Iranian newspaper would be well proven - it is not ok to publicly vilify Jews, but it is quite ok to vilify Muslims.

Vilifying Jews, and making light of the systematic mass murder of millions of Jews are not even in the same universe of existence. What has ever stopped Iran (or anyone really)from doing the former?
E pur si muove -Galileo

cptkrell

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:40 pm

I'm thinking that I pretty much suscribe to Pe@rson and Cfalk's comments and am tempted to keep using the term "fourth world" from now on, even though some have presented disdain and questioned the term "third world" in other threads. IMHO, that there is an inherent problem in these folks' thought processes doesn't seem to be in doubt. Regards...jack
all best; jack

soyuzavia

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 47):

Vilifying Jews, and making light of the systematic mass murder of millions of Jews are not even in the same universe of existence. What has ever stopped Iran (or anyone really)from doing the former?

The answer is simple. Laws in at least a dozen European countries which makes denying the holocaust a criminal offence. And leaders of most of the above mentioned countries have in the last few weeks been quite vocal in affirming that those countries have principles of free speech, free press and free thought.

So why is it a criminal offence if I wanted to publicly deny the holocaust in these countries? Not that I deny the holocaust existed, rather saying so for 'arguments' sake. If I think the holocaust never existed, then isn't this my right under the principles of free thought? Isn't it also my right under the princples of free speech, to tell others what my thoughts are? Not in those countries it isn't, because the Jews would take great offence to that. Just as a lot of Muslims have taken offence to the publication of cartoons.

Might I add, those of you who have changed your flags to that of Denmark, have done so in support of free speech, so might I ask that you write letters to your local embassy/consulate of the following countries (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Slovakia and Switzerland), demanding that under the principles of free speech, it should not be illegal in those countries to deny the holocaust. And perhaps we could ask Johan to add a Nazi flag so that those who are in support of free speech in those countries can proudly show their support.  Silly

By the way, I neither support holocaust deniers, nor Ahmadinejad.