futureuapilot

XX Olympic Winter Games Thread

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:33 am

Hey everyone, there isn't too much more time till the 20th Winter Olympic Games! What are your plans to watch them? Anyone going to go see some events? I personally love the Olympics, so I can't wait for those Opening Ceremonies! I like the skiing events the most, (shows in my profile). How about you?

www.torino2006.com

Cheers!
-Sam

The Pilot is the highest form of life on Earth!

AeroWesty

RE: XX Olympic Winter Games Thread

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:40 am

I will be watching. The change the Olympic Committee made some time ago to host the Winter and Summer Olympics in alternate years has worked out really well.

Long live Torvill and Dean!
International Homo of Mystery

AGC525

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 am

I like to watch ice hockey, luge, bobsledding, biathlelon (sp?), and curling. Yes, I like curling  Smile
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

futureuapilot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
to host the Winter and Summer Olympics in alternate years has worked out really well.

Oh yeah, that works out great! I just realized this is the last Olympics before I go off to college! Fun fun fun!

-Sam

Mir

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:33 pm

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 2):
Yes, I like curling

What are you smoking???????

Whatever it is, apparently I'm smoking it too, since I like to watch curling as well.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

ScarletHarlot

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:03 am

You all know I can't wait to watch curling.  

It will be a very busy time for us at the curling club. As soon as curling hits TV, our phone will ring like crazy. We have five open houses scheduled between now and April 1, and we'll probably have at least a thousand people try curling during those.

Go Teams Gushue and Kleibrink!

[Edited 2006-02-08 18:04:23]
But that was when I ruled the world

WhyWhyZed

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:09 am

I don't usually watch the olympics themselves. I usually just watch the opening ceremonies, because I like learning about that countries culture, through an awesome show. After that, I watch the odd game here and there. If anything, it'll be hockey!

On a side note, I remember being at the Toronto Auto Show when the Gol metal game for men's hockey was on. You'd know that Canada scored when the convention centre/skydome would ROAR...lol

GO CANADA!!!

- Jason DePodesta

CPH-R

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:27 am

I have no set plan for what I'll be watching. I'm hoping to catch some of the ski jumping & downhill over the weekend, but other than that, I'll just watch whatever is on that I find interesting.

I kinda like it that Eurosport 1 is running 24/7 coverage of the Olympics, so there will always be at least SOMETHING on!

On a closely related topic, has anyone else been following the "Building the Winter Games" on Discovery? Only just discovered it yesterday, so I fear that I've missed the whole series :/

rootsair

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:55 am

I am boycotting those games just as I did for the 2002 olympics...Sion were clear favourties to win

First time they didn't pass because of bribery..

second because the ICO took their revenge on the Swiss who had created a huge scandal with the bribery story...
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

willo

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:08 pm

the ski jumping........ go Janne!!!  airplane 

the speed skating and the bobsleigh.

......and as usual I will be looking forward to the totally unbiased and subjective judging in the Ice Skating  scratchchin 

dragon-wings

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:54 pm

I will be watching all of the alpine skiing events, bobsleding, and ice hockey. It's funny.....I don't like/watch NHL hockey but I will watch the olympic ice hockey.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ba757

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:56 pm

Skijumping and Bobsleigh for sure! (On TV)

Just a shame the tickets cost so much, otherwise I would have been there.

Adam

Turin_airport

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:38 pm

Hockey live. Canada-Czech Repubblic (I think it's gonna be a tough fight...) and Canada-Germany. All the other sports on TV, but, above all, I wan to "live" the city as much as possible.

It' gonna be great!

T_a

alphafloor

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:32 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 8):
I am boycotting those games just as I did for the 2002 olympics...Sion were clear favourties to win

RootsAir. Yes, Sion was an excellent candidat and I was also very disapointed to see the games going to the other side of the alps. But hey, it's been a while now and sport must prevail. I'm going to watch it for sure and personnaly it brings me good memories as my first son Ewan was born the day of the opening ceremony of the 2002 olympic games.

Now what I don't clearly understand is why Sion didn't submitted candidature again after the failure ?

Saludos !
Alejandro
Whatever

AeroWesty

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:04 am

I usually avoid the schmaltz of morning television, but NBC's Today Show has done a fairly credible job of reporting from Italy this week, arriving today in Torino.

My only regret about the Olympics is that NBC will probably cut away to commercials every 10 minutes or so during the opening and closing ceremonies, like they did in Athens.

fxramper

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 am

There are Winter Olympics this year?  confused  drunk  bouncy 

prebennorholm

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:30 am

For me the Winter Olympics started today. At lunch hour in the office.

The staff restaurant was all geared up. An electric olympic flame is flashing on top of the coffee machine. Four feet Italian flags hanging from the ceiling all over. Beautiful pictures from typical Italian towns on the walls. Old skis strapped to the pillars. Etc. etc.

And best of all: All the best dishes from the Italian kitchen. Yummy-yummy!

I can tell you, the Italian kitchen is a lot more than spaghetti.

And it continues all next week.

Before the games are over I will have to buy new clothes and a longer belt.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

piercey

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:44 am

I'll be getting up @ 2 AM every morning to watch good old hockey, snowboarding, bobsledding, and luge/skeleton!

USA!  Smile USA!  Smile USA!  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

USAFHummer

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:16 pm

Count me in amongst the a.net masses who finds curling strangely fascinating...also will try to watch luge, bobsled, alpine skiing events, and root for the University of Colorado's own (before those @(*&!*)#&*!@ from the NCAA stepped in and axed his eligibility) Jeremy Bloom in freestyle moguls...once he wins gold, its off to the NFL scouting combine for him!

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

LFutia

Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:20 pm

Nordic Skiing is awesome and i'll be looking forward to watching that Big grin

Leo
Leo/ORD -- Groetjes uit de VS! -- Heeft u laatst nog met KLM gevlogen?

simo82

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:23 pm

The only ticket I found where for curling, so I guess its what I'm going to watch live.....just to feel some Olympic Spirit.

CIAO
Simo

ScarletHarlot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting Simo82 (Reply 20):
The only ticket I found where for curling, so I guess its what I'm going to watch live.

OH!!!! You are so lucky! Do you know anything about curling?

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 1):
The change the Olympic Committee made some time ago to host the Winter and Summer Olympics in alternate years has worked out really well.

I disagree. Makes it happen too often.....
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Airdolomiti

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:03 am

So did anyone here watch the opening ceremony? I thought it was quite amazing, very touching at times, and steadily paced too - not a dull moment that I can recall.

So far, so good - well done to the organizing committee. Now let the Games begin!  Smile

Federico

gdodds

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:09 am

I loved the opening cermony, although on the BBC coverage it looked like Pavarotti wasn't singing live. (maybe that was just the coverage i saw), anyway it was a great cermony i enjoyed it a lot.

QANTASforever

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 am

I watched the Opening Ceremony as I usually do. I thought it was excellent - the torch lighting was exceptionally well done.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

futureuapilot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:30 am

The Ceremony hasn't aired over here, it will be on NBC at 8 o'clock eastern time, with a preshow thingat 7:30. Can't wait!

-Sam

Aeroflot777

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 2):
Yes, I like curling

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Whatever it is, apparently I'm smoking it too, since I like to watch curling as well.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 5):
You all know I can't wait to watch curling.

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 18):
Count me in amongst the a.net masses who finds curling strangely fascinating

May I ask...What do you guys find so fascinating in that sport? It just seems so...pointless. Also doesn't seem to require much skill.

Aeroflot777

greasespot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:33 am

X-country skiing and biathlon...maybe the down hill....then just ramdom watching...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Newark777

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 27):

May I ask...What do you guys find so fascinating in that sport? It just seems so...pointless. Also doesn't seem to require much skill.

That never stopped soccer.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

AeroWesty

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:02 am

I'm anxiously awaiting 8PM Pacific for the opening ceremonies--the still photos they had on CNN looked great. I couldn't believe there were unsold tickets for the event!

corey07850

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:23 am

The first 7 minutes or so they showed with all the scenes from Italy along with the narration was excellent... Of course everything looks great in HD...

WhyWhyZed

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting Simo82 (Reply 20):
The only ticket I found where for curling, so I guess its what I'm going to watch live.....just to feel some Olympic Spirit.

Great to hear that you get to enjoy a once in a lifetime event. But I was wondering how it is that you get tickets? and how early do they usually go in sale. I'm asking because the thought of flying over to Vancouver in 2010, has come across my mind a few times... as i'm sure it has with quite a few Canadians.

What about an event like the opening ceremony? Or is that exclusive to a certain (LARGE) group of people?

On a side note, i'm watching the opening ceremony so far. Great theme, and presentation so far. As I type this the teams are walking out....Here comes ANDORRA!!! GO ANDORRA!!

- Jason DePodesta

ScarletHarlot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 27):

Have you ever tried it? I curl three times a week and in several bonspiels (weekend tournaments) during the curling season. I also run our open houses which allow people who've never tried curling to go out and give it a shot. People come off the ice with big smiles and the most common things they say are "that was a lot of fun!" and "that was harder than it looks!"

Curling is very difficult to get good at. It is an extremely precise sport and consider that you're sliding the rocks with only inches of tolerance from 140 feet away. You have to have good balance and be flexible, and when you sweep you certainly get a workout.

The strategy is a whole mind game of its own and is hard to understand from just watching it on TV.

And besides all that, it's a blast.  Smile

j_hallgren

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:34 pm

What's the deal with playing 80's disco music as countries enter stadium???

I liked that "ski jumper" that they formed from the people in different color ponchos...and those other performers were good also..
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

dragon-wings

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 34):
What's the deal with playing 80's disco music as countries enter stadium???

Bob Costas and Brian Williams (They were the TV hosts for the opening ceremonies here in the US) said something like that also. They said it was weird they were playing that kind of music.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

JoeCattoli

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:05 pm

I absolutely loved the opening of the games... Especially the lighting of the torch designed from Pininfarina...one of the best of the several Italian designer... Really a great idea. Really touching to hear Yoko Ono speaking about peace and Peter Gabriel singing such a masterpiece of a song... A lot of people should learn... I also liked the view we got when Pavarotti was singing with the scene the stadium and the flame far above. Congrats to the engineers. Totally unexpected the Ferrari appearance... Nice even if not really "Olympic" I'd say... even if it represents an important Italian excellence product. A lot of emotions of all kinds really.
I know perhaps I'm overexited about the Olympics in my country so forgive me but i think it is the best opening I've seen so far... I should say that I didn't see a lot... but so far... Just happy if we get something better in the next Olympics...
Ciao
Joe
Long life to the Olympic games and their meaning.

Mir

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 29):
That never stopped soccer.

Oh, you're going to get flamed.....  Smile

The opening ceremony was pretty much average for an opening ceremony in my opinion - really tacky with a lot of wierd symbolism. Whatever floats their boat, I guess. The timed fireworks and the lighting of the flame were very well done, but other than that I didn't much care for it.

However, if Luciano's singing didn't raise the hairs on the back of your neck, you should check yourself for a pulse. That was absolutely amazing. The maestro still has it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

AeroWesty

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 pm

Sofia Loren is still damned hot. And to think she owes it all to pasta.

HT

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:05 pm

What annoyed me (again) in that opening ceremony was that a 9-year old kid had to sing the Italian Anthem with her bit squeeky voice ... (I hate it when organizers drag young kids into stages).
The fireworks weren´t too impressive.

On the positive side:
I think it was a good decision having the athletes march in so early in the ceremony.
The apparatus beneath the olympic flame looks great.
And of course there was that Ferrari demonstration ... Big grin

Apart from these points, I would rate the ceremony as "average" - good, but nothing spectacular.

And:
Germany already won a gold medal in men´s 20km Biatholon.  Smile
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

TheSonntag

Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:22 pm

GOLD for Germany  Smile

If just our sommer athletes were as good as the winter guys...

I loved the opening ceremony, especially the Ferrari was great! However, to me it seemed this one was supposed to draw the olympic rings with the tyres, and this didn't really work out so well...

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting TheSonntag (Reply 40):
it seemed this one was supposed to draw the olympic rings with the tyres

I wondered what that was all about.

TheSonntag

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 41):

Well, maybe it was to draw the olympic rings... Otherwise... Ferrari is owned by Fiat, which brought the Olympics to Turin... And it was really cool, however I think the noise and tyre smell must have been awful!

racko

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:39 am

2 competitions so far, and 2 gold medals for Germany  Smile

Newark777

Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 43):
2 competitions so far, and 2 gold medals for Germany

Stick one gold up there for the US of A.  Smile

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

futureuapilot

Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:01 am

Wow, Michelle Kwan withdrew from the Olympics after an injury. I was hoping to see her win her first Olympic gold. Oh well.

3 medals for the US
2 medals for Germany
5 medals for Norway
3 medals for the Netherlands
2 medals for Canada.

-Sam

vermeer

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:59 am

Quoting Airdolomiti (Reply 23):
So did anyone here watch the opening ceremony? I thought it was quite amazing, very touching at times, and steadily paced too - not a dull moment that I can recall.

So far, so good - well done to the organizing committee. Now let the Games begin!

Federico,
I am Italian too and I was so PROUD of the opening ceremony. I am originally from Torino and I love to see my hometown in TV. Now thanks to high definition I am able to see that it is even better that what I think.
Apart from the "dancing cows" I thought that the opening ceremony was fantastic.
I loved the little girl intoning our national anthem and the eight women carrying the olympic flag. each of them representes something to be proud of and I am very happy that they have been given the highlight they deserve.
Our President was so happy and I thought he opened the games with such pride and a little of emotion.
I wish I could be proud of my home like this every day. For once, we did a phenomenal job!

Greetings,

Piero

piercey

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting QANTASFOREVER (Reply 25):
I watched the Opening Ceremony as I usually do. I thought it was excellent - the torch lighting was exceptionally well done.

Still doesn't beet ATL (Ali), SLC(1980 olympic team), and BCN (the archer)

btw, take your bets! Wayne Gretzky lighting the torch in 2010?

Quoting Vermeer (Reply 46):
For once, we did a phenomenal job!

*looks at a classic Fiat* I think Torino has done a good job for a while  Wink
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

airkas1
Crew

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:28 am

Woohoo!! We (Holland) ruled on the 3000m for women Big grin  Big grin  Big grin
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

Logan22L

Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:39 am

That race for bronze in the men's combined nordic was fantastic!
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."