jspitfire

Police Dog Gets A Hero's Funeral

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:53 pm

A couple weeks ago, a police dog here in Vancouver died in the line of duty. He was caught under a train while trying to catch a robber. Yesterday the Vancouver police had a huge funeral for the dog, with over 700 police officers from as far away as Ontario attending. The dog received the full ceremonial funeral, with a color guard and pretty much everything a human officer would have received.

Many people have complained that this was only a dog, and that the ceremony has been overkill.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...28c603-836c-42ea-96ff-d2431c1bf6e1

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...206/nitro_funeral_060206/20060206/

What is your opinion? Does Nitro deserve the hero's funeral that he received?

Jason

ANCFlyer

RE: Police Dog Gets A Hero's Funeral

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:02 pm

Quoting Jspitfire (Thread starter):

Many people have complained that this was only a dog, and that the ceremony has been overkill.

Like any other officer - that dog wore a badge and put his ass on the line for the citizens of Canada . . . damn right he deserved his funeral - with honors.

Salute Officcer Nitro.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AGC525

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:07 pm

Absolutely. I know in America police dogs are considered a law enforcement officer, and are even issued badges. I know plenty of police K9's and I care as much about them as the their human counterparts.

Myself as a volunteer firefighter, I feel the same towards our arson dogs. They provide the same level of service to the community. I would most certainly attend the service in my Class "A" uniform and show the respect the animal deserved.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

NWA742

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Like any other officer - that dog wore a badge and put his ass on the line for the citizens of Canada . . . damn right he deserved his funeral - with honors.

checkmark 

This picture is the answer:

Loyal dogs mean everything to a good man, and a good man means everything to a loyal dog.

Man's best friend. May you rest in peace, Nitro.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

damirc

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 pm

Agree also - he worked and put his life on the line - so he gets the full honors.

D.

wukka

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:23 pm

My best friend when I was growing up had a K9 cop for a dad.

His dogs were just as much a part of the family as they were part of the police force. Badge and all.

One of his partner dogs was shot during a drug bust, and received a full officer's funeral. I don't think that it's all that unusual.

Some might find it a waste of time and resources, but realistically, isn't any funeral?
We can agree to disagree.

Mir

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:40 pm

I have no problems with a police dog getting the full honors for a funeral. In fact, I don't think I'd have it any other way. They are just as much a member of the force as any human officer, and they deserve the same respect when they are killed in the line of duty.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JoKeR

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:23 am

The dog deserved it and thanfully got it!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Dougloid

Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:46 am

Interesting subject.

One time I was down in Marion County and as I walked up to the courthouse a sheriff's deputy was walking an elderly, gimpy German Shepherd down the walk. I asked "What kind of criminal is that going to catch?" The deputy says "Oh, this is Gypsy, he was our drug dog, he's retired now from the arthritis but every once in a while the sheriff asks someone to take him out for a ride in the squad car-he really likes it."

Gypsy was cop, all the way to the bone.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

luv2fly

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:07 am

I have to agree that this Officer/Dog died while working and deserved everything that was given.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ryangooner

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:49 am

In fact in my experience Police dogs are far more braver than some human officers!!!

without fear or favour......

Another fallen colleague....

Ryan
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

chrisjake

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:22 am

..its too bad we cannot do this for ALL our canine friends.

chris

Daleaholic

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:36 am

I'm sorry but I'm not really an animal person, my personal view is that, yes the dog should be recognized for its work but I think what has happened here is OTT.

with over 700 police officers from as far away as Ontario attending

This shocks me, 700 police officers, who could be out enforcing the law are attending the funeral of a DOG!?!?

Please remember this is my opinion.
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

ZakHH

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 12):
In fact in my experience Police dogs are far more braver than some human officers!!!

Not to mention looks and intelligence... Big grin
Uh-oh, there comes ANCFlyer...  duck 

(Just kiddin', several good friends of mine are cops...)
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

ZakHH

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:48 am

I wouldn't take it too serious. I mean, I was really surprised not to find him complain about Nitro not being allowed to carry a gun to defend himself, so that he could have shot the robber and would not have get killed by the train...  Yeah sure
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:11 am

Seems like a waste of time, money and resources. Sure, it's a shame the dog was killed and a funeral of some sort is certainly in order. Something of this magnitude, however, is overkill. (no pun intended) But as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for it, I don't have an issue.

andz

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:27 am

I was half way reading this to my wife and we were both in tears.

Well Hung and Daleaholic, I hope the police dog that could have saved your ass sits and watches while your life slips away. I can't stand such heartlessness, the dog gave his life doing his duty without a thought for his own safety. In this country there was a recent telethon to raise money for bulletproof vests for K9 "officers" and the response was overwhelming.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):

That alone tells me that you cannot approach the topic rationally. Therefore, your subsequent comments can be dismissed out of hand.

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):
I hope the police dog that could have saved your ass sits and watches while your life slips away.

I think wishing ill will on strangers on the Internet because they don't think such a monstrosity of a funeral and wake is necessary really shows who has the issues here.

[Edited 2006-02-08 19:52:18]

andz

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:04 am

yeah and having read the drivel you post on here most of the time shows that this should have been the first and last time I react to your crap.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Cadet57

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 16):
This shocks me, 700 police officers, who could be out enforcing the law are attending the funeral of a DOG!?!?

700 officers from multiple departments, and also its not as if an entire department went. Same thing as when a police force marches in a parade, those officers are marching, there are still others, or reserve officers patroling the streets.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 21):
Seems like a waste of time, money and resources. Sure, it's a shame the dog was killed and a funeral of some sort is certainly in order. Something of this magnitude, however, is overkill. (no pun intended) But as long as my tax dollars aren't paying for it, I don't have an issue.

This dog was a police officer. Period. I dont care if he walks on two legs or four. He was doing his duty, Protecting and Serving. Just because he diddnt speak, carry a gun or actually make arrests doest even matter here. Furthermore, I dont beleive tax dollars paid for the funeral any way. Have some compassion man. That officer lost a friend, pet, fellow officer, and partner, all in one shot. Not to mention the fact that if the dog lived with kids, Billy and Suzie lost the family dog.

Quoting Andz (Reply 22):

Well Hung and Daleaholic, I hope the police dog that could have saved your ass sits and watches while your life slips away. I can't stand such heartlessness, the dog gave his life doing his duty without a thought for his own safety. In this country there was a recent telethon to raise money for bulletproof vests for K9 "officers" and the response was overwhelming.

checkmark  Well said.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 24):
this should have been the first and last time I react to your crap.

Agreed. If you can't help yourself from flying off the handle and saying you hope a person dies anytime someone offers a viewpoint different than yours, you should certainly keep it to yourself, lest you disobey the site rules and raise your blood pressure. In fact, if you react so strongly to so-called 'drivel' on the Internet, you have more issues than originally apparent. I think they have drugs to help that nowadays.

Cadet57

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:29 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 26):
Agreed. If you can't help yourself from flying off the handle and saying you hope a person dies anytime someone offers a viewpoint different than yours, you should certainly keep it to yourself, lest you disobey the site rules and raise your blood pressure. In fact, if you react so strongly to so-called 'drivel' on the Internet, you have more issues than originally apparent. I think they have drugs to help that nowadays.

Umm, I beleive Andz was mearly stating that it was sad that you had no compassion for a police unit that was killed in the field. But the fact that you reacted so harshly to someone who happend to disagree needs to take a dose of his own advice and calm down. You know what the best medicine for that is? Turn off your computer and walk away. Period, just stop posting.

777236ER

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:33 am

I wonder if tax-paying Canadians get a funeral like that from the state when they cop it?
Your bone's got a little machine

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:57 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
This dog was a police officer. Period. I dont care if he walks on two legs or four.

You are just making that up because even the actual Vancouver police officers don't describe him as a police officer. They simply call him a 'member of the police department'. No argument there. He certaily was a member of the police department.

He was doing his duty, Protecting and Serving.

Indeed.

Just because he diddnt speak, carry a gun or actually make arrests doest even matter here.

But he could lick his own balls! Hmm... so he's a police officer, but he's not a police officer. Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Furthermore, I dont beleive tax dollars paid for the funeral any way.

The article states that they don't know how it will be paid for. I just said that although it's extreme, I don't care that they did it, but I wouldn't want my tax dollars going toward such an extravaganza.

Have some compassion man. That officer lost a friend, pet, fellow officer, and partner, all in one shot.

Yes, but you are confusing the issues here. This circus of a funeral has nothing to do with one man's pain and suffering. I certainly feel for the man. I don't think such a charade is warranted.

Not to mention the fact that if the dog lived with kids, Billy and Suzie lost the family dog.

Plenty of people lose their dogs every day and it isn't easy for any of them. So this point does not resonate whatsoever.

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 26):
But the fact that you reacted so harshly to someone who happend to disagree needs to take a dose of his own advice and calm down. You know what the best medicine for that is? Turn off your computer and walk away. Period, just stop posting.

You think that was harsh? You need some thicker skin, bro. But I guess you don't hear much pushing that lawnmower around all day.  rotfl 

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 27):
I wonder if tax-paying Canadians get a funeral like that from the state when they cop it?

Depends on how many people's legs they hump.

dragon-wings

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:27 am

That dog deserved every bit of that funeral. Not only do those dogs put their lives on the line protecting the public, but will put their lives on the line to protect their human partner as well.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

MDorBust

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:29 am

What is your opinion? Does Nitro deserve the hero's funeral that he received?

He's an officer that died in the line of duty. Of course.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 16):

Are you and your wife both women?

It was a dog. You think it knew it was on the police force "putting its ass on the line"? Do you know how much maple syrup you can buy with the money it took to organize that funeral?

Waste of money. Bury it, give a few salute shots in the air, but gimme a break.

FSP

[Edited 2006-02-08 23:15:34]

Cadet57

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 28):

It was a dog. You think it knew it was on the police force "putting its ass on the line"? Do you know how much maple syrup you can buy with the money it took to organize that funeral?

Waste of money. Bury it, give a few salute shots in the air, but gimme a break.

"And the most in-sensitive post of the year goes to....."

WellHung

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 16):

Daleaholic

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:20 am

rotfl 

People die each day, dogs die each day. Why should that dog get EXTRA special treatment because it helped catch criminals? Fair enough it did a lot of work and helped the community but they've gone too far in my opinion.

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:23 am

The Maple Syrup was a joke, just poking fun.

However, maybe you were refering to: I think if you're going to cry after you read that a dog died "in the line of duty", you need a reality check, or at least come back down to planet earth.

I like animals, heck I grew up with a couple, and sure I'd get sad when they died, but a Dog is not a police officer. And no it does not warrant every canadian officer in the province to attend a full fledged funeral. Makes no logical sense. Americans don't bury Police dogs in Arlington.. at least I think they don't..

[Edited 2006-02-08 23:25:13]

Daleaholic

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 32):

The Maple Syrup was a joke, just poking fun.

However, maybe you were refering to: I think if you're going to cry after you read that a dog died "in the line of duty", you need a reality check, or at least come back down to planet earth.

I like animals, heck I grew up with a couple, and sure I'd get sad when they died, but a Dog is not a police officer. And no it does not warrant every canadian officer in the province to attend a full fledged funeral. Makes no logical sense. Americans don't bury Police dogs in Arlington.. at least I think they don't..

AMEN to that brother! I totally agree with FSPilot747 on this matter.

MDorBust

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:13 am

It's plain to see which people in this thread have put thier lives on the line, along side these dogs, and which people are no nuts internet jockies.

Yes, K9 units are Police Officers. Not only in the minds of other officers, but by law in almost every jurisdictioln.

A K9 is a more welcome sight to an officer than the appearance of the virgin mary. They are valued and honored members of the police community. Loseing one of them IS loseing a fellow officer.

Americans don't bury Police dogs in Arlington.. at least I think they don't..

Arlington is a military cemetary, no police officer is buried there unless they were in military service in which case they are buried as a soldier, not a police officer.

And yes, American police institutions do afford these very same honors to our fallen K9 officers.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

TEBGuy

Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:58 am

This may just be the dog lover in me speaking, but, a police dog is as much a police Officer as his 2 legged partners & is most definitely entitled to a burial with full honors.
Remember, taking off is optional, landing is mandatory.

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting TEBguy (Reply 35):
a police dog is as much a police Officer as his 2 legged partners

Yeah, because he went through Police Academy right? And consciously chose to do his duty and is fully cognizant of his job. Very nice, compare a trained Dog to a cop. Again, I have nothing against dogs, but how can you compare Lassie to a human police officer. Or, in this case, treat them as equals. 35 years ago, we didn't even treat women and blacks as equals, but god forbid we don't bestow this honor to a dog.

Next, we'll be giving salutes to fallen police cruisers. You know, because they were destroyed in the line of duty and deserve the right to be honored.

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 19):
Furthermore, I dont beleive tax dollars paid for the funeral any way.

Really? Are you sure? Then who did?

[Edited 2006-02-09 01:23:57]

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:25 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 23):
even the actual Vancouver police officers don't describe him as a police officer

How many constables from Vancouver did you speak with to arrive at this conclusion? Sounds like  redflag  to me.

but a Dog is not a police officer

Incorrect. In most jurisdictions ni this country and Canda they are . . . by law.

You think it knew it was on the police force "putting its ass on the line"?

Yes, actually . . . pretty smart creatures. Smarter, perhaps, than you in this respect.

Do you know how much maple syrup you can buy with the money it took to organize that funeral?

sarcastic  Assinine . . . just that simple.

This entire sentence eliminates your credibility, Adam. Arlington is a military cemetery . . .not even the same ball game here. Stop while you're behind.

WellHung - I'm not even going to address your prattle . . . you're not worth my effort.

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 31):
People die each day, dogs die each day. Why should that dog get EXTRA special treatment because it helped catch criminals? Fair enough it did a lot of work and helped the community but they've gone too far in my opinion.

You and FSP ought to get together - sounds like you both have a similar mentality . . . no credibility in this matter however.

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 13):
Quoting Ryangooner (Reply 12):

Not to mention looks and intelligence...  biggrin 
Uh-oh, there comes ANCFlyer...  duck 

laughing 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

aaflt1871

Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Daleaholic (Reply 12):

Have you seen the size of Canada? Seeing police departments run on average of 3 shifts, 7a.m to 3 p.m, 3 p.m to 11p.m, and 11:00 p.m to 7:00 a.m. So a shortage of officers on patrol I think not. I am sure officers from the later shifts attended.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 15):
Seems like a waste of time, money and resources.

Ask a police officer if it is.

Quoting WellHung (Reply 17):
That alone tells me that you cannot approach the topic rationally. Therefore, your subsequent comments can be dismissed out of hand.

Nor can you, the dog died serving the people of Canada. And just like a police officer, fire fighter, E.M.S, you die in the line of duty. Your brothers and sisters in arms are going to see you off. Simply for the fact that they would do it for you as you would for them. It seems that is a concept you cannot understand

Quoting WellHung (Reply 23):
But he could lick his own balls!

If anyone on these boards would know anything about ball licking, it would be you

It was a dog.

You just don't get it.

You think it knew it was on the police force "putting its ass on the line"?

Exactly, they are not given a choice, this is the life you are going to live. You will be placed in harms way every day, you are there, to put your life on the line in order to save a humans when the time arises.

you need a reality check,

I love when a 16-20 year old gives the advice thst someone needs a reality check.

You think Jr?

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 34):
Arlington is a military cemetary, no police officer is buried there

You would be incorrect there. There are 2 Capital Hill Police officers buried in Arlington that were killed in the Capital a few years ago. They were granted burial into Arlington.
Where did everybody go?

dl021

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:03 am

Funerals are for the living, and the officers who attended feel a special bond with the animals who work alongside them, and upon whom they must rely. These dogs are fearless and absolutely dedicated to their handlers.

I for one hope that Nitro is up playing poker in dog heaven.

They were probably off-duty for the period of the funeral.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
Yes, actually . . . pretty smart creatures. Smarter, perhaps, than you in this respect.

Ok.

This entire sentence eliminates your credibility, Adam. Arlington is a military cemetery . . .not even the same ball game here. Stop while you're behind.

I don't see how it eliminates my credibility. And it is precisely in the same ball game. I don't see how. The dog died, was given an overly elaborate funeral. Fallen soldiers are given an appropriately elaborate funeral. Fallen American soldiers are often buried in Arlington. I think we're on the same page.

sarcastic Assinine . . . just that simple.

Alright, I'll give you that. It was a lame joke.

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 38):
You just don't get it.

I guess not....but apparently you understand it perfectly.

I love when a 16-20 year old gives the advice thst someone needs a reality check.

I guess since I'm 20 I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

You think Jr?

Gosh if only I were as cool and old as you are. Does it make you feel really big to call me Jr? That fact that you're only response to my argument is "Haha I'm older than you" then you've got some growing up to do.

Nor can you, the dog died serving the people of Canada. And just like a police officer, fire fighter, E.M.S, you die in the line of duty. Your brothers and sisters in arms are going to see you off. Simply for the fact that they would do it for you as you would for them. It seems that is a concept you cannot understand

I guess not. I'm only 20, I can't understand anything, right?

[Edited 2006-02-09 02:36:06]

MDorBust

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:10 am

You would be incorrect there. There are 2 Capital Hill Police officers buried in Arlington that were killed in the Capital a few years ago. They were granted burial into Arlington.

I stand corrected. I had forgotten the two fallen Capital Police officers.

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 41):

I stand corrected. I had forgotten the two fallen Capital Police officers.

There are also other non-military "American Heroes" buried at Arlington . . . the point being is the comment from FSPilot was made more out of ignorance of the rules and regulations regarding burial in Arlington and a lame attempt to discredit Officer Nitro than a debate about who is buried in Arlington.

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
...to discredit Officer Nitro than a debate about who is buried in Arlington.

Officer Nitro? Good heavens.

the point being is the comment from FSPilot was made more out of ignorance of the rules and regulations regarding burial in Arlington

There was nothing ignorant about what I said. Where did I misstate something about Arlington? I pointed out that dogs aren't buried there. Was I not right? Again, it's unfortunate the dog died, and how it did (I think it's damn sad), I know what it's like to lose a pet, but I would never give an animal equal status with a human. Especially going as far to call one Officer or Leutenant or whatever else.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:32 am

Who says they were supposed to work that day? You know, cops get days off too sometimes...
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MDorBust

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 43):

That would be the proper form of address.

It doesn't matter if you believe he was a police officer, he quite simply was.

...but I would never give an animal equal status with a human. Especially going as far to call one Officer or Leutenant or whatever else.

This will piss you off then: http://aggietraditions.tamu.edu/reveille.shtml

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:41 am

Was I not right?

Bingo! Military Police Working Dogs can be buried there. Go here, read this, make yourself smarter: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlington_National_Cemetery
Next question?

but I would never give an animal equal status with a human

That's your right.

Especially going as far to call one Officer or Leutenant or whatever else.

I've never seen a police dog called Lieutenant . . . but - whether your narrow view appreciates it or not - they are called officer . . . and they are given the same treatment and respect by the authorities as a 'human' officer. You'll just have to live with that. Like it or not.

Allow me to reiterate:

the comment from FSPilot was made more out of ignorance of the rules and regulations regarding burial in Arlington and a lame attempt to discredit Officer Nitro than a debate about who is buried in Arlington.

'Nuf Said.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 44):

Who says they were supposed to work that day? You know, cops get days off too sometimes...

And - if they are like most departments here in Alaska - they will pay for the trip out of their own pocket. It's called respect . . . . maybe you ought to learn some Daleaholic . . .

aaflt1871

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 40):
I think we're on the same page.

You are about 10 chapters behind ANCFlyer, you have a long way to go.

I guess not....but apparently you understand it perfectly

Yes, I do. I am not a police officer, but I served in the Marine Corps. I know what it is like to be a part of a team. As I counted on my Marine brothers to have my back, they knew I had theirs. It is the same with a K-9 and a police officer, both count on one another to keep each other safe. A K-9 does not just protect his handler, he/she protects all officers on patrol during his/her assigined shift. All officers form a bond with that dog. So it makes sense to see so many to come together to pay their respects to a fallen officer.

Yes. Cute that you're so proud of yourself for being older than me. Does it make you feel really big to call me Jr? That fact that you're only response to my argument is "Haha I'm older than you" then you've got some growing up to do.

Negative, I was going to call you kid. You have alot to learn in this world. Don't think for a moment you know it all, you'r only 20, you have a lot to learn still indeed.

I guess since I'm 20 I'm not allowed to have an opinion.

By all means, have a opinion. Do you think this was called for? .[/quote]

So what, you have a problem with a man crying over a dogs death. I shed a few tears when I had to have my dog put down a few years ago. Maybe you have never had a dog. maybe you have never formed a bond with a animal, maybe the sadness Andz felt for the dogs passing would be the equivilent to you getting the news that your mother was dead. People react to things in different ways. If you could care less about the dog, fine. You say your 20, but your reply in 28 shows more like 12 or 13.

And NotHung, can you not do any better than copy off of KROC with a knockout photo. Real original.
Where did everybody go?

NWA742

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:52 am

WellHung - I'm not even going to address your prattle . . . you're not worth my effort.

Pretty much the right way to go about it -- waste of time. You can only laugh or shake your head at the know-it-all high-horse attitude.

(hey Horus, when you read this post and before you delete it, consider this -- I'm not disrespecting other users. I respect Wellhung and his views, but I just don't like anything about him. I'm sure he feel's the same about me.)

Why do you have a problem with that?

I would never give an animal equal status with a human. Especially going as far to call one Officer or Leutenant or whatever else.

Quite frankly, it really doesn't matter what you would do. That's what most law enforcement agencies do, that's the way they work, that's the way it is. End of story.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

fspilot747

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:53 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 46):

Bingo! Military Police Working Dogs can be buried there. Go here, read this, make yourself smarter:

Don't get too excited. Anyway, I skimmed it and I didn't see anything about dogs, but you know more about that stuff than I do so I'll take your word for it.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 46):
And they are given the same treatment and respect by the authorities as a 'human' officer.

Really? So if someone kills a Police Dog during a chase, he might get capital punishment, or life in prison? After all, the dogs are "officers," right? Are they also given a desk? Contrary to what you might think, I'm not trying to ridicule the dog, just trying to put things in perspective. You're giving human status to a dog. What's stopping you from doing the same for a goldfish or hamster?

I think Police dogs are great, they do the job. But no other animal on this planet has been found to be able to critically think and deduce, not even primates. I won't put dog brains on equal footing as a human. It's akin to training a robot to do a job. Dogs aren't critically thinking, they're following basic commands. Just like you can train a dog to shit in a box. As you can program a robot to raise it's hand.