Pe@rson
Topic Author

Do You Get Along With Your Parents?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Do you get along with your parents?

I get along with mine about 50% of the time. My parents (59 and 57) can be quite irritating, because they're quite dumb (I realise that sounds terrible, but they are, despite having very good jobs). My father also moans and sighs a lot, which drives me crazy. Neither of them are as supportive as I'd like them to be, and they don't always actively listen to me. I don't, as a fiesty leo, bite my tongue as much as I should, so I feel guilty afterwards. Still, the other 50% of the time is good.  

[Edited 2006-02-08 11:55:42]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

skidmarks

RE: Do You Get Along With Your Parents?

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:03 pm

Treasure and respect them youth! They won't be there for ever.

Mine are both dead (I think). My mother died in 1997 and my father, sometime in 2002 I believe.

I never knew my father well and only actually met him twice. My stepfather and I hated each other for many years and it wasnt until later in life I actually managed to get on with him.

As a father myself, I think I get on well enough with my two brats, despite the constant arguements about mess, money etc! I can talk to them and like the same sort of music - which is always useful! Big grin

Parents are for life, not just for when you want money!! Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Aleksandar

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:03 pm

I get along with my mother about 50% of the time.

A question for you, young lad. How do they tolerate you?  Wink
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
Parents are for life, not just for when you want money!!

rotfl  Despite my (advancing) age, my mother will still give me money and buy things for me. Oh, the joy of being the baby of the family.  Silly It is rather annoying, to be honest, but she won't accept 'don't worry' for an answer.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

rodge

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 3):
Oh, the joy of being the baby of the family

I fit into this one. My parents (both 58) and I never fall out. This is because I have moved out and live 10 miles from them. I speak to them about once a week on the phone, and see them about twice monthly.

The good result.... Peace, Quiet and no arguments.

The Bad result.... I now have to live with my partner who makes up for their (parents) whinging.

I guess you just cant win. Sad
Smile

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 pm

Yeah. I moved away (to university) when I was 18. I have moved back to the family home for a month or so, but I'll be off again (back to Wales) in about 2 1/2 weeks' time.

jap

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:27 pm

My parents are both 52. I don't get along with them all the time (I mainly have clashes with my father) but deep down, I guess they are the best parents I could've ever hoped for  Smile

Both of them support me when I need it and even though my dad is not always there for me, my mom makes up for that in tenfold. I think I've been quite a challenge as a daughter (depression and horrible moodswings during my school time, 6 months in hospital because of this, asperger syndrome, jus generally being a horrible kid while I was going through this) but they still help me through tough times when I need it.

I owe them A LOT for putting up with me for 19 years + 9 months (yeah... when my mom was pregnant with me, I wasn't the easiest either  Silly). God, am I gonna miss them when I move to the UK...
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

skidmarks

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting Jap (Reply 6):
I think I've been quite a challenge as a daughter (depression and horrible moodswings during my school time, 6 months in hospital because of this, asperger syndrome, jus generally being a horrible kid while I was going through this) but they still help me through tough times when I need it.

Standard teenager then? Big grin

Andy  old 

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 7):
Standard teenager then?

And non-teenager.  Wow!

Do you shout at your children much, Skidddddy?

Aleksandar

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 1):
Parents are for life, not just for when you want money!

You are absolutely right. Although I do often argue with my mother and there are so many things that we see differently, I like the very idea that she's around and close to me. Three years ago, when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin's deasease, the very idea that things might end up badly really scared me. In fact, looking back now, it still looks scary.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

greasespot

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:42 pm

Nope, I have not seen or talked to them in over 5 years. While i feel like i am missing something i have no plans to reach out. I am over the guilt and "missing them".

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

skidmarks

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 8):
Do you shout at your children much, Skidddddy?

Depends. My son has managed to "lose" part of his drum kit - which we bought at Christmas! I am in the process of shouting! Big grin

The other son has f****d me about with flights - I am shouting at him too! Big grin

Normally, however, I simply threaten them with their mother. Usually works! Big grin

Andy  old 

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:55 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 11):
Normally, however, I simply threaten them with their mother.

Seems to work with you, too, what with you being on here so much.  Wink Is the thought of spending time with your wife THAT bad?  Silly

gordonsmall

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:00 pm

My son has managed to "lose" part of his drum kit - which we bought at Christmas!

Don;t believe a word of it Andy, he's sold it!  Smile (I speak from experience)

I am in the process of shouting!

Excellent news! Shouting is good for you, and if all else fails, resort to some mild violence!

The other son has f****d me about with flights - I am shouting at him too!

Good, good. You know it'll be good for him in the long run, and it never did you any harm!  Silly

Normally, however, I simply threaten them with their mother. Usually works!

No!!!!!!! That is a punishment to harsh for even the most heinous crime!
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

jap

Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Standard teenager then? Big grin

eek 

Maybe a taaaaaaaad bit worse... Big grin
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

jasepl

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:16 pm

I didn't always have the best relationship with my parents. On the whole though, it was my mother I didn't get on with - for still unknown reasons. One-on-one, I got on with my dad quite well, for the most part.

I did move out when I was 21, for all the wrong reasons. Then, once my dad died, I asked my mum to move in with me. Because of a lot of changes in time and circumstance, we did very well with round 2. About a year ago, we had my parents' flat redone and the two of us moved back there.

And things have really been great. I'm grown up enough to not let the little things bother me and she's coped very well too. Of course, it helps that she's more of a friend now than a mother and that we both do our own thing most of the time. Sometimes days go by without us seeing each other. The only rule being that if I'm home for dinner, then dinnertime is 8.30.

All said and done, I'm luckier than most, I know.

skidmarks

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:17 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 12):
Seems to work with you, too, what with you being on here so much. Is the thought of spending time with your wife THAT bad?

Only during work time - and she's been away in Kent for the past week or so Big grin

Got another week of peace at the end of the month when she goes to LCY for a week! Big grin

Andy  old 

atco2b

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:20 pm

Standard teenager then?

Why do i get a vision of Kevin and Perry here?! "But your my BLOODY parents!"

Quoting Gordonsmall (Reply 13):
Don;t believe a word of it Andy, he's sold it! (I speak from experience

I wonder who it sold it to...eh Gordon?!  Wink

I get on with my parents the majority of the time, when they are'nt going on. They probably dont 'go on', thats just the natural teen response i suppose. No, they bloody do actually Big grin

Hasnt been too i bad lately though, mainly as im actually trying to sort out my career!
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

skidmarks

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:23 pm

Quoting Atco2b (Reply 17):
Hasnt been too i bad lately though, mainly as im actually trying to sort out my career!

Ah, a career, another excuse to leave your room like a pigsty, come in at all hours and drink your dads scotch. Good move Big grin

Andy  old 

atco2b

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 18):

True...id love to move out SOMEDAY though! To be honest, my room is left in a pretty good state actually!

Roll on the interviews Big grin
Hey, you want to go out for pizza and some sex? What, you don't like pizza?

jasepl

Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting Jasepl (Reply 15):

All that said, I have to admit there is a lot of truth to the saying: It is very easy to love your family; but can be extermely difficult to like them!  Smile

Capital146

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Thread starter):
I get along with mine about 50% of the time. My parents (59 and 57) can be quite irritating, because they're quite dumb

On that basis, can one say 'Like father like son?'  Wink

I haven't seen my dad since I was 12, but had a more than capable step-dad whilst growing up. I always respected him and he was always firm but fair (though didn't always feel like it at the time!) and without question proved to be a better parent that my biological father could ever have been. As for my mum, we've always been quite close, I had my moments as a teenager, but was generally pleasant enough (maybe a bit moody sometimes, par for the course though!).

For all those who still live with their parents and sometimes struggle to get along with them, all I'll say is that when you eventually move out and have your own place you'll become more patient with them. If you end up living fairly close to them (like I do with mine) then you can time your visits for when your mood suits you and you end up having better quality time together.
Like a fine wine, one gets better with age.

Pe@rson
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:14 pm

Quoting Capital146 (Reply 21):
I get along with mine about 50% of the time. My parents (59 and 57) can be quite irritating, because they're quite dumb

On that basis, can one say 'Like father like son?'

Exactly.  Big grin

ABfemme

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:17 am

Do You Get Along With Your Parents?

I love my mum and dad to bits

I am fortunate to have them both still with me and I feel a kinda role reversal goin on as I am gettin older..I treasure the time spent with them now and go out of my way to help in any way I can......cos I love em

Remember you only have one Mum and dad.............

Claire
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

scott2187

Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:36 am

Despite my (advancing) age, my mother will still give me money and buy things for me. Oh, the joy of being the baby of the family. It is rather annoying, to be honest, but she won't accept 'don't worry' for an answer.

i fit this category...i do get annoyed sometimes when i go home for a night or two...and what is it with mothers worrying about the youngest kid all the time? i mean i did go off to school and get pierced a few times, then call her and asked what hospital she preferred me going to when i broke a collar bone....but there's no need to worry.
“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:22 am

Im from India.So Family is very Important.  Smile
About getting along with Parents.yes 99% of the time.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

cfcuq

Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:47 am

My father also moans and sighs a lot,

the baby of the family.

You know what Pe@rson ? They're tired ! I've raised 3 boys, now 24,19 and 18, and damn it, I'm tired. Its time for me to get my own life back, but I don't have the energy to do what I once regretted missing (skiing, playing hockey etc). Your parents have given you the best years of their lives, and you are complaining.

BigOrange

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:18 am

Nope!

My father left when I was a year old. I met him once since, and swore never again.

I just gave up on my mother 3 weeks ago. She's lost the plot somewhere and I don't agree with what she is doing. I just mailed her a letter telling her everything I wanted to say for the last 20 years but didn't to save causing any family problems. But seeing as she doesn't care about that then why should I?

BMIFlyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:24 am

Yes i do  Smile

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

sunshine79

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:32 am

I don't get on with my parents very much. My dad has quite a temper and has a knack of turning things into an argument or turn something into your fault. For instance, last week, I set the multi remote control for their TV, dad knocked a button and now it won't work. He stormed out of the living room and went to bed in a huff. Talk about being childish, it's unreal. They hate me having a laptop and the internet. Just cos I come in from work, sit and have dinner with them, then I come upstairs and I'm on my laptop all night. Apparently, I only want to talk to them whenever I want something. Most parents would be quite happ for their kids to do that. I hate him telling me what to do too. He keeps talking to me as if I'm 12 years old still, Im 26 FFS. I just can't wait to move back to Spain, so I can be as far away as possible from him.
Formerly alcregular, Why drive when you can fly?

cfcuq

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:42 am

Quoting Sunshine79 (Reply 29):
talking to me as if I'm 12 years old still, Im 26 FFS. I just can't wait to move back to Spain, so I can be as far away as possible from him

Sharron, we all felt somewhat the same at your age. You will find that as you age, your parents will become smarter and more tolerant. Both my parents have passed on in the last 5 years, I miss them both terribly.

JAGflyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:57 am

Yes. I do get pissed off with both of them at times but we always end up working it out. I cannot see myself ever not being able to get along with my parents.
Support the beer and soda can industry, your recycle old airplanes!

lentigomaligna

Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:10 am

Ya for the most part. My biggest complaint is every time I come home to visit my Dad, one time I inevitably get the mormon "come back to the fold" speech/plea despite my making it abundantly clear that I don't wish to take part in the religion on numerous occasions. That and I have an occasional issue with my parents failing to do what they promise me. I don't really have anything in common with my step-mother either and we have more of a token relationship than anything.

All in all though, we still get along fine.

pilot kaz

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 am

Well...

My mum an dad hate eachover with a pasion...which dont make it a whole lot easier but oh well...

Me and my Dad clash, We have the same sort of interests, Music, Aviation (he is more military) So its cool to be able to talk to him about it, But he hate's being wrong lol, So many times I have prooved him wrong in some things and he does nothing but sulk, He is a cool Dad though, We get on a lot and he is willing to drive me around If I moan enough and he is not doing anything  Wink

My Mum and me, Well It tracks back a long way, I have always lived with her (execpt for 1 year with my dad and a few years in Foster Care) Since My dad left when I was younger so she has had me thought the younger ages also with my brother which didnt make it easy for her, Now I see that.

But now things are very diffrent, My mum has realised her mistakes in the past and has worke very VERY hard to fix that. But again we clash like hell. I never realised in the past how much she had cared and still does, even with the words she say's she always comes back with help.. Today she is a diffrent person, She is well and doing so much better for herself and now i am a lot older I understand whats going on and can help, Sure we argue a lot and I say I hate her and so on but I love her to bits  Smile And its taken me so long to see that... I wish her temper was not so short though lol.

Sorry for the spelling....
-

DrP

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:43 am

I'm lucky enough to have a great relationship with both my mum and dad  Smile Lord knows I have plenty of friends who have a volatile relationship with theirs
My pony plays the mamba . .

highpeaklad

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 33):
Sure we argue a lot and I say I hate her and so on but I love her to bits

I just hope she knows that too. Make sure you say the important things. one day they will be gone and it'll be too late then.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

Nordair

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:55 am

I get along with them better than ever now. Of course they are dead, so that might have something to do with it.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

canuckpaxguy

Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:25 am

My parents ... because they're quite dumb ... they don't always actively listen to me.

Pearson, from one fiesty leo to another:
Your parents are not dumb; they're just not interested in the same things you are.

My Mom can't work the call waiting on her phone. She doesn't believe that I can "write a letter" to someone and then have a "mailman" get it to them within seconds. She always asks me how I know it's her on the phone when she calls. Mark my words though: my Mother is no dummy. She is a jeopardy playing, crossword answering, encyclopedia of information who can type faster than a speeding bullet, cook any food you've never heard of (without a recipe), and she can explain how world events impact foreign currencies and commodity prices (just not by email). She also has a knack judging a person's character before ever shaking their hand (and she's never been wrong!!!).

So she's afraid of the microwave ... big deal!

As for them not listening to you Pe@rson - now don't get me wrong - I get a kick out of some of your topics, but let's be honest - if what you talk to them about is anywhere near as exciting as some of your thread topics ... Well ... can you blame them for not listening as actively as you'd like?

Go give your folks a hug. As I get older, I realize now that my parents only let me believe they were dumb. They're actually not.

G

[Edited 2006-02-10 01:57:20]

vaporlock

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:26 am

I have a fantastic relationship with my parents!!! They are the best....my Mom is 79 and my Dad is 80. They have always been there for me from my earliest memories. I can talk to them about anything and know that they will always listen!

Phyllis  bouncy 

PIA777

Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:51 am

We get along great. Everyone in my family does. Its true, the Family that
prays together, stays together. It always great when we all get together
and watch sports or go on picnics.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

Frontiercpt

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:19 pm

Since I go to a boarding school, I have found that distance really does make the heart grow fonder. Ok, like half the time lol. I get really exasperated because she doesn't understand what I mean when I say that I'm in a musical, or that I have a show coming up. She just says "ok, thats good." I have a feeling that she is usually doing her nails or paying the bills, but then again, I do homework while she babbles away, so it goes both ways. But when I meet her in the baggage claim when I fly home to LAS, our hello's are that much better, because I mean, I only see her three times a year. We get into a lot of fights while I'm at home over vacations, but the last day or two before I leave, we don't shout at each other at all lol. If we had a fight within the last few days of my being at home, I would get on the plane back to school, feeling awfully guilty lol, and I don't do well with guilt at all. But basically, we get along except when it comes to me being a chronic shopper. Big grin

British767

Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:15 pm

My dad died when I was 8 years old, in 1995.

I respect my mum a lot, after bringing up 3 boys, most of the time during teenage years, on hardly any money whatsoever. She still managed to smile despite losing her husband of 23 years. So yeah, I get on really well with the parent I have left.

deltamd88

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:09 pm

I got along OK with my parents growing up...I moved out when I was 20 and have since gotten married and am almost done college, now I get along great with both of them. I have always been super close to both my grandmother and aunt though. (both on my Dad's side)

saxdiva

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:17 pm

I get along quite well with my parents--it helps having been out of the nest for a while. The older I get, the more I realize they knew about life all along.

BTW, Mr. Diva takes his mom to lunch at least once a week. She lives a few blocks away and just turned 90. And, boy... I hope *I'm* that sharp when/if I get to her age....

NWOrientDC10

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Quoting Scott2187 (Reply 24):
what is it with mothers worrying about the youngest kid all the time?

That's what moms do Smile

My dad has quite a temper and has a knack of turning things into an argument or turn something into your fault. For instance, last week, I set the multi remote control for their TV, dad knocked a button and now it won't work. He stormed out of the living room and went to bed in a huff. Talk about being childish, it's unreal.

Sounds like my old man

He keeps talking to me as if I'm 12 years old still, Im 26 FFS.

The old man still calls me "boy" someties

I just can't wait to move back to Spain, so I can be as far away as possible from him.

You'll miss him ...

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 39):
We get along great. Everyone in my family does. Its true, the Family that
prays together, stays together. It always great when we all get together
and watch sports or go on picnics.

PIA777

Just out of curiosity, which are you; Wally or "The Beaver"?  rotfl 

I love my parents  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

N1120A

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:42 pm

I am incredibly close with my parents. Sure, we have had fights and I have been upset with them before, but will never, ever say they were (and are) anything but the best parents this world has ever seen. We are basically 3 people who act as 1 unit, even though I live 1710 miles away from them (according to the GC from MSY to CMA).
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

lewis

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:47 pm

I get along quite well with both my parents. They are quite old compared to my friends' parents so I cannot judge them for being a bit ignorant towards technology or the way I think. They trust me a lot, especially since I have been living abroad for more than three years now. They also support me financially both during my studies and my holidays so there is no room for me to complain.