The Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps has been dropped from the 2006 Formula 1 calendar, the FIA has confirmed.
Circuit officials were unable to meet the governing body's requirements for a major upgrade of pit and paddock facilities in time for this year's race, scheduled for September 17.
The FIA said in a statement: "The Belgian national sporting authority, the RACB, has written to notify the FIA of the withdrawal of the 2006 Belgian Grand Prix from the FIA Formula 1 world championship.
"The withdrawal has been made in order to allow the completion of extensive improvement work to facilities at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit.
"The FIA hopes that the event will be included once again in the Formula 1 world championship calendar from 2007 onwards."
Spa's future has been in doubt since the race promoter Didier Defourney Grand Prix went bankrupt last year.
The regional Walloon government balked at Bernie Ecclestone's insistence that it was legally obliged to pick up the tab for the event (which has been loss-making in recent years) until 2010.
Reports over the Christmas period suggested Ecclestone was prepared to compromise and was close to agreeing a new three-year deal to safeguard the race.
But a fortnight ago a local politician told the Belgian media that he had been notified by Ecclestone's office that this year's race would not go ahead – a claim dismissed by the FIA at the time.
Despite the prospect of its returning to the calendar in 2007, the loss of F1's most majestic circuit from this season's schedule will be keenly felt by F1 fans, who routinely name Spa among their favourite venues.