AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Desserts That Are Good For You!

Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:55 pm

I try to avoid desserts that are "bad for you". Therefore, I try to avoid rich foods such as chocolate mousse, ice cream, and cake.

For dessert, my preferences are for delectable fruit salads, especially those with peaches and pears. Cantaloupes are great, too, as are pineapple, oranges, and apples.

What healthful desserts to you eat? Thanks in advance.
What's fair is fair.

N1120A

RE: Desserts That Are Good For You!

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:04 pm

Well, fruit is always great, as are fresh sorbets made with uncooked fruit (there is a huge difference between uncooked and cooked sorbets). As far as healthy deserts not involving fruit, I came across a recipe in a bodybuilding cookbook for a low fat, high protein sweet potato/yam cheesecake. Basically, you take 3 baked yams, peel them, add about a pound and a half of nonfat ricotta, a cup of whey protein powder and a cup of Splenda and mix them. You then put the mixture inside a non-hydrogenated graham cracker crust and bake. It is really good
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:11 pm

biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:14 pm

Very interesting!   (Responding to N1120A)

LOL! (Responding to ANCFlyer)  

I used to be a "card member" of the GNC chain of nutritional supplement stores. It seems to be well-run, and I found that it met my needs. Since I'm not a bodybuilder, I don't know much about bodybuilding, but I do know that GNC sells foods specificially for that purpose. I would imagine that buying these special foods could get kind of expensive.

It's nice to know that one can make one's own supplements for bodybuilding.  

[Edited 2006-02-09 15:16:54]
What's fair is fair.

N1120A

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 3):
I used to be a "card member" of the GNC chain of nutritional supplement stores. It seems to be well-run, and I found that it met my needs. Since I'm not a bodybuilder, I don't know much about it, but I do know that GNC sells foods specificially for bodybuilding. I would imagine that buying these special foods could get kind of expensive.

It's nice to know that one can make one's own supplements for that purpose.

GNC is anything but a well run company, but lets not get into that. As far as the expense of bodybuilding supplements, it is all relative. It is cheaper to have a MetRx shake with fruit in it than it is to get a McCrackShack value meal. Food for thought  wink 

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 4):
It is cheaper to have a MetRx shake with fruit in it than it is to get a McCrackShack value meal. Food for thought  Wink

Interesting thoughts!

An aside: Do you consider these supplements to be suitable as desserts? I would imagine that if you are not a dedicated bodybuilder, they might not be entirely suitable.

Thanks again for your comments!
What's fair is fair.

N1120A

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 5):
An aside: Do you consider these supplements to be suitable as desserts? I would imagine that if you are not a dedicated bodybuilder, they might not be entirely suitable.

A protein shake? Not unless you get a good smoothie recipe from your favorite juice bar. Besides, they are meant to act as complete meals and would be really hard to finish if you have just had a whole meal. As far as that cheesecake recipe goes, I made it for Thanksgiving 3 years ago and it went over really well as a dessert

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:24 pm

I personally like smoothies as well. My thinking is that they are fine on occasion, although pricey. I suppose I could make my own at home. I have a blender that I really should use more often.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Fruit Salad

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Aleksandar

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:40 pm

I'm addicted to chocolate, so as long as there is a chocolate and some cream, I'm very happy  bouncy  As for the fruit, it's also nice, but chocolate comes first.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 pm

I'm in the camp of being against fruit after a meal as dessert. Fruit takes a lot less time to digest, and depending upon your metabolism and what you've eaten just prior, fresh fruit can actually begin to putrify before being completely digested.
International Homo of Mystery

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
Fruit takes a lot less time to digest, and depending upon your metabolism and what you've eaten just prior, fresh fruit can actually begin to putrify before being completely digested.

Eww.  eyebrow  Well, I'll try to forget I read that!  Big grin
What's fair is fair.

kmh1956

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:27 am

ALL desserts are good for you.....they're good for your soul.

I'm not advocating going out and eating an entire chocolate cake, but if a little mousse or tiramisu is what you like then eat it.

You can have a healthy diet and not give up on the fun foods.....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

aloges

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 10):
depending upon your metabolism and what you've eaten just prior, fresh fruit can actually begin to putrify before being completely digested.

So the hydrochloric acid in your stomach doesn't do anything to prevent that, does it?

[Edited 2006-02-09 16:34:07]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

AeroWesty

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:40 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 13):
So the HCl in your stomach

If it has been mostly absorbed digesting the rest of the meal, then there's obviously less of it available for your dessert. As I said, it depends upon your metabolism rate and what you ate. That said, have you ever burped after eating a fruit plate that followed a meal? If yes, then the fresh fruit is beginning to putrify and give off gasses in your stomach. YMMV.
International Homo of Mystery

yooyoo

Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:46 am

I will second ANCFlyers recommendation.  Wink

And i'll add cheese. Ya, cheese. It's all good in moderation.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

DrP

Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:46 am

Ice cream must be good for you, it's made of milk afterall  Wink (Unless it's a McShit one made from essence of lard)
My pony plays the mamba . .

srbmod

Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
Desserts That Are Good For You!

That's an oxymoron.

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):

For dessert, my preferences are for delectable fruit salads, especially those with peaches and pears. Cantaloupes are great, too, as are pineapple, oranges, and apples

Fruit salad is a side dish, not a dessert.

NoUFO

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):

Glenmorangie? Good pick!

I'll go with this:

Those saying it's unhealthy should $|_|t up. I firmly believe, it's more healthy to allow oneself to have a cake, ice cream or some chocolate from time to time.
Not only it's well earned after a plate of overcooked vegs and pasta, it's first and foremost calming and thus prevents insomnia, gastric ulcer and hair loss.
I support the right to arm bears

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 17):
Fruit salad is a side dish, not a dessert.

Okay. But I'm not that picky about calling dishes by their proper names, as long as they're delicious.  Big grin

Actually, I've seen fruit salad as both a side order and dessert. For example, at the Sizzler chain of restaurants, you can have all-you-can-eat soup and salad, and that includes fruit such as peaches in syrup, pineapple, romaine lettuce, baby tomatoes, etc.
What's fair is fair.