pbottenb

Baseball Out Of 2012 Olympics - Why?

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:44 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...09/softball.baseball.ap/index.html

"TURIN, Italy (AP) -- Don't worry. Synchronized swimming, trampoline and rhythmic gymnastics are safe. Baseball and softball? Sorry, they're out for the 2012 Olympics.

Dropped from the London Games seven months ago, women's softball and baseball got a second chance Thursday to make a case for reinstatement. The result, though, was the same: The European-dominated International Olympic Committee rejected pleas from two very traditional American sports.

"I am shocked and deeply disappointed," said Dot Richardson, a two-time Olympic gold medalist in softball. "It's a shame that politics between nations will affect in a negative way the future dreams of young girls and young women."

OK - They claim that its anti-Americanism...Is it? Or is baseball really just a niche sport (more of a niche than trampoline jumping).

I wish the IOC would have reinstated both sports...

PB

futureualpilot

RE: Baseball Out Of 2012 Olympics - Why?

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting Pbottenb (Thread starter):
I wish the IOC would have reinstated both sports...

checkmark 

This is very disappointing, as I have always loved watching Olympic Baseball, it is a true World Series. I hope it will be brought back for the 2016 games.
Life is better when you surf.

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:52 am

rejected pleas from two very traditional American sports.

Precisely the point (although baseball is actually English  Wink ).

Or is baseball really just a niche sport

Not in the US. But everywhere else, yes.

The question of the number of daft sports in the Olympics is a valid one, but including baseball is insane. Why baseball ahead of vastly more inernational games like cricket and rugby? At least in those two sports it wouldn't be bleedin' obvious who the gold medal would go to.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

yowza

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:53 am

Outside of the US and Latin America, there is very little interest in baseball anywhere.

YOWza

dl021

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:55 am

Well, two things.

1. The Olympic Committee has been seen to be anti-American in several recent decisions.

2. Baseball is only played in a relatively few countries, as a matter of fact only 16 nations are sending teams to the World Baseball Classic this year.

It's something of a conundrum for international play. Every nation in Central America, North America, the Caribbean (technically North America) and a couple in Asia play baseball, but that's it. It's tough to justify that when most nations don't play.

I am wondering why the Italian team for the WBC has so many US natives onboard, but then I'm not that worried about it.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:58 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
the Caribbean

I think you'll find cricket is absolutely miles ahead of baseball in the Caribbean.

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:01 am

Oh, one other thing:

When you don't get your own way on something, throwing your toys out of your pram, stamping your feet and shouting that everyone else is anti-American is really childish.

The fact that baseball somehow got in the Olympics in the first place, to the disbelief of virtually the whole world, should suggest the opposite.

Sometimes others disagree with you. Live with it.

FriendlySkies

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):
Outside of the US and Latin America, there is very little interest in baseball anywhere.

Don't forget Japan.

garnetpalmetto

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 7):
Don't forget Japan.

And burgeoning interest in Australia (see the rise in Aussie players in the US minor leagues), Taiwan, and South Korea.
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

ltbewr

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:17 am

It is a shame that Men's Baseball has been dropped for 2012. While the game is practically non-existant in Europe, it is played at Professional levels not only in the USA and Canada, but also Japan, Korea, Venezula, Domnican Republic, Mexico, Cuba and others, all of which are substantial countries. This also ingnores that the largest chunk of the money to run the IOC comes from the USA's TV Networks (NBC for now). This sport is booted while ones favored by relatively small numbers of countries remain. Perhaps instead of booting Baseball, they should end any sport that involved a gun or rifle as they promote violence, military power and so on. That would be a statement of 'peace' that the Olympics should persue.

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:25 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 9):
it is played at Professional levels not only in the USA and Canada, but also Japan, Korea, Venezula, Domnican Republic, Mexico, Cuba and others

Cricket: Played at full international (i.e. not just one big country and few others tagging along) professional level in

England, India, Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, South Africa, Zimbabwe, virtually all of the West Indies who perform as a unified team; plus numerous countries with affiliate status such as the USA (yes, shock horror, you even play it to the same degree as all those others play baseball).

Not in the Olympics.

Rugby:

England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, France, Italy, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Australia, Manu Samoa, plus USA, Canada, Romania, Georgia, Uruguay et al.

Not in the Olympics.

Stop whingeing.  Yeah sure

erikwilliam

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:32 am

Baseball Out Of 2012 Olympics - Why?

Because it´s a boring sport.
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

lewis

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:02 am

Because its not very polular outside N.America and a few other countries. Plus, countries organising the Olympics can save money by not building venues for such sports. Softball and baseball venues built in Athens for the 2004 Olympics will never see any use and its a pitty that they might get torn down.

WellHung

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:15 am

Because they had to make room for brilliant 'International' action such as...

Archery
Badminton
Flatwater Canoeing
Slalom Canoeing
Fencing
Rhythmic Gymnastics
Trampoline Gymnastics
Modern Pentathlon
Table Tennis (PING PONG!)

[Edited 2006-02-10 18:32:01]

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 6):
When you don't get your own way on something, throwing your toys out of your pram, stamping your feet and shouting that everyone else is anti-American is really childish.

The fact that baseball somehow got in the Olympics in the first place, to the disbelief of virtually the whole world, should suggest the opposite.

Sometimes others disagree with you. Live with it.

Wow - quite a post here...sounds like you have some anger...

Are you saying that the vote was not anti-American? Or are you saying that we deserve it?

One interesting note is that Softball was voted out on a TIE, with one abstention, I believe that the IOC could easily have considered this, approved softball at least and retained their credibility.

Anyway, I'll bet you that more people play and watch baseball and softball on a regular basis than cricket, rugby, synchronized gymnastics and trampoline COMBINED...Heck the LA Angels baseball team had over 3 MILLION people attend home games last year..and 3/4 of their team is made up of Latin Americans (Vlade Guerrero rocks!) That, my friend is THE definition of an international sport - So, in my opinion it should be an olympic sport...

camair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):
1. The Olympic Committee has been seen to be anti-American in several recent decisions.

you think so? I mean you are right in your survey to say that only several countries actually play baseball. However, I think the IOC has rather been biased pro-West: Why not Cricket? Why not Bush sports to promote sports in developing countries and promote real development?

They are so much nonsense events that only earmark Gold Medals for the West. I think it is time to achieve an equilibrium and to promote the disciplines of "other countries".. hence, baseball should be replaced with cricket, and, as WellHung implies, PingPong with something which is in Western eyes "exotic and no real sport"  Smile

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Lewis (Reply 12):
Because its not very polular outside N.America and a few other countries. Plus, countries organising the Olympics can save money by not building venues for such sports. Softball and baseball venues built in Athens for the 2004 Olympics will never see any use and its a pitty that they might get torn down.

Yeah, baseball was the big problem with the athens olympics...NOT

Here in LA we still have the indoor bycycling venues that hardly ever get used...they werent cheap...using your logic we should ban any sport that requires its own specialized stadium.......good one...

camair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 14):
Are you saying that the vote was not anti-American? Or are you saying that we deserve it?

Banco is right. It has NOTHING to do with anti-American. to explain a personaö defeat with anti-Americanism and to distract from real reasons is inappropriate!

Tomorrow, if the UN votes against a US resolution, you will say that the International community is anit-American!

[Edited 2006-02-10 18:32:59]

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:33 am

Wow - quite a post here...sounds like you have some anger...

The whole point of the complaint is ridiculous. There are no grounds for its inclusion in an international sporting festival because only about two countries play the game with any seriousness. How hard is that to grasp? What is the point of having it?

Anyway, I'll bet you that more people play and watch baseball and softball on a regular basis than cricket, rugby, synchronized gymnastics and trampoline COMBINED...

That post is more stupid than I can believe. If you think that you really have no clue at all. Why don't you go to India and ask the 1 billion people, in a nation of cricket fanatics, what they think.

Heck the LA Angels baseball team had over 3 MILLION people attend home games last year..and 3/4 of their team is made up of Latin Americans (Vlade Guerrero rocks!) That, my friend is THE definition of an international sport

ROTFL. you haven't a clue, have you? So because an American team consists of some Latin Americans, who are, presumably mostly still US citizens, that's international sport?  Yeah sure

My mistake. There was me thinking that international sport consisted of countries being able to play each other.  Yeah sure

Quoting CamAir (Reply 15):
, I think the IOC has rather been biased pro-West

Yep. I think that's true.

camair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:38 am

Heck the LA Angels baseball team had over 3 MILLION people attend home games last year..and 3/4 of their team is made up of Latin Americans (Vlade Guerrero rocks!) That, my friend is THE definition of an international

And more than a billion people followed the India-Pakistan Cricket Series  sarcastic 

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting CamAir (Reply 19):
And more than a billion people followed the India-Pakistan Cricket Series

Same could be said for the US MLB World Series or the Super Bowl for that matter...your point?

camair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 20):
your point?

Point being: look beyond your borders and your personal world order  Wink - there are almost 200 other nations with their preferences.. and the omission of baseball does not stand for anti-Americanism but for a sport that does not really interest many people apart from a dozen of nations  Smile

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:46 am

Or is baseball really just a niche sport (more of a niche than trampoline jumping).

I don't see it that way, but if I had my choice they would get rid of any event that requires a judge to score. To be a sport the winner needs to be decided by a tangable score, points total or time.

Also get rid of the equestrian events....unless you want to add dog mushing to the winter games, and get rid of the sailing events. Depends too much on the weather.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 4):

It has been that way for a long time.....Look at the 1972 US mens basketball team.

The IOC still refuses to admit they screwed them over for the soviets.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
The whole point of the complaint is ridiculous. There are no grounds for its inclusion in an international sporting festival because only about two countries play the game with any seriousness. How hard is that to grasp? What is the point of having it?

Quoting Banco (Reply 18):
ROTFL. you haven't a clue, have you? So because an American team consists of some Latin Americans, who are, presumably mostly still US citizens, that's international sport?

My mistake. There was me thinking that international sport consisted of countries being able to play each other.

You my friend, are the one lacking a clue. Very few foriegn playes on MLB team have US citizenship. Many return home to Venezuela, Mexico, the Dominican, Colombia, Japan, Canada and Austrailia during the off season to play in their countries very good leagues.

As far as "rules" for a sport being international, then I'd like to see where the big international competitions are for curling, you know that major sport where they slide rocks on ice?

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting CamAir (Reply 21):
apart from a dozen of nations

Or more specifically, about three or four - plus a few with a passing interest.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 24):
Or more specifically, about three or four - plus a few with a passing interest

Well just off the top of my head

United States
Japan
Cuba
Dominican Republic
Venzualia
Panama
Brazil
Nicaragua
Honduras
Taiwan
Puerto Rico (considered their own team in the olympics)

The list is longer, but we are allready over 3-4.

I would also argue that in places like Cuba and the Domincian republic they are more passionate about the game then the US is.

camair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 25):
I would also argue that in places like Cuba

Since when do you use "Communist Castro Cuba" to underline and support your opinion? Big grin

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:05 am

The list is longer, but we are allready over 3-4.

Genuine question here:

In terms of counting sides playing internationally, I would say it's where the national sides can compete against each other with a reasonable chance of defeating the other. Would all those nations listed have a fighting chance of beating the US?

lewis

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 16):
Yeah, baseball was the big problem with the athens olympics...NOT

If you wanna change the subject then no that was not the problem, the problem was negative publicity for many years before the actual events. Lets not go into this at the moment.

My point was that people know how to play baseball (or know what exactly it is) in very few coutries. Plus, the infrastructure left in Athens will not be used by anyone in the whole region. I gave you my city as an exaple to show you that in some countries or regions baseball is not even known as a sport. Sure there are other sports that won't see much use but baseball and softball have to be at the top.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 27):
Genuine question here:

In terms of counting sides playing internationally, I would say it's where the national sides can compete against each other with a reasonable chance of defeating the other. Would all those nations listed have a fighting chance of beating the US?

Will all of the countries that I have mentioned are usually very strong competitors in the Little League World Series, I would say yes.

I would also point to the number of Dominican, Cuban and Japanese players in Major League Baseball.

rootsair

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:19 am

Venzualia

Venezuela

Before Baseball makes it into the olympics...Rugby should make it in before !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:20 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 29):
Will all of the countries that I have mentioned are usually very strong competitors in the Little League World Series, I would say yes.

"Little league"? Sorry, you'll need to explain the difference, I'm afraid - is it amateur or something?

You see, I'm asking whether it would be a fair contest if the US put out their very best players, which is the usual benchmark for international competition.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 30):
Venezuela

Yeah I know..... Big grin

Quoting Banco (Reply 31):
Little league"? Sorry, you'll need to explain the difference, I'm afraid - is it amateur or something?

Under 14 kids league. But those kids grow up to become MLB players.

Quoting Banco (Reply 31):
You see, I'm asking whether it would be a fair contest if the US put out their very best players, which is the usual benchmark for international competition.

I thought that was where you where going, which is why I didn't list Papua New Guinea which play a rituralized version of the game that replaced tribes waring on tribes.

I feel all of the teams I listed have very legitimate shots.

ILOVEA340

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 am

Even team handball is played professionaly in more countries than baseball! The fact remains that Baseball is not a sport of any significance in Europe, Africa, and virtually all of Asia with the exception of the mentioned few.
Many more people in this world follow Rugby and Cricket, hell, in a lot of the countries where we claim Baseball is big, football is still far and away the number one sport. (including the U.S.  Wink)

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 27):

I would say that Cuba would have better than a 50% chance on any given day

pbottenb

Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting CamAir (Reply 26):
Since when do you use "Communist Castro Cuba" to underline and support your opinion?

I thought this discussion was about the Olympics - not politics...

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:14 am

Coz no body cares about the Baseball and Softball outside of the Nortern America's ( US, Canada, Latin America, PR and DR) and maybe Japan. If Baseball makes it in, then so should Cricket and Rugby...Infact both Cricket and Rugby are far more competitive then Softball(US) and Baseball( Cuba).
Come on you gunners......!!!!!

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:16 am

I am also suprised that our American friends haven't brought up the fact that
American Football is not included in the Olympics.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 37):
I am also suprised that our American friends haven't brought up the fact that
American Football is not included in the Olympics.

I think that we are aware that other then the NFL and that weird 3 down thing you play, it isn't that popular in other countries.

Baseball on the other hand, is a much bigger sport.

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 38):
I think that we are aware that other then the NFL and that weird 3 down thing you play, it isn't that popular in other countries.

Frankly, I don't care much for Canadian Football, I'd much rather watch the NFL.

Go niners........

As for baseball, it may be popular, but it's not really very International.

FDXmech

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 3):

How about the Expos and Toronto Bluejay's? Hmmm, I guess you're right.

Quoting Lewis (Reply 12):
Because its not very polular outside N.America and a few other countries. Plus, countries organising the Olympics can save money by not building venues for such sports.

Venue? All you need is a city street with parked cars for 1st and 3rd, a manhole cover for 2nd & sewer grate for home. Plus a couple of broomsticks and a pinkie ball.

Quoting CamAir (Reply 19):
And more than a billion people followed the India-Pakistan Cricket Series

Well, considering the combined population of India and Pakistan, the match probably came second to, "Laverne and Shirley".

Quoting CamAir (Reply 26):
Since when do you use "Communist Castro Cuba" to underline and support your opinion?

When it buttresses our argument.
You're only as good as your last departure.

cwapilot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:38 am

Well, i guess ice hockey is going to have to go, too. There is a large league in a couple of large countries, as in baseball, and the rest is just a bunch of also-rans with some mild interest, as posters above label Latin America in regards to baseball. But, would we expect the European-dominated committee to remove hockey when its also-rans are mainly European rather than Latin American coutries? Hardly! Which is more international, anyway? Well, according to the International Baseball Federation (baseball's international Olympic body), there are 115 affiliated nations, whereas hockey's counterpart, the International Ice Hockey Federation, claims only 64 affiliated nations. Hmmm...makes you think.

In all honesty, though...who cares? Have you ever SEEN Olympic baseball? You can see better quality games during the College World Series than you can at the Olympics. Major League baseball already showcases the best players from around the world. "Baseball is a boring game." Hmmm...that is what my wife always said. She couldn't figure out why Americans like it so much. Then, she actually took the time to learn the game, follow an entire season, learn the jargon and all of the things that go into the game, and now she is a fanatic. She just ordered her Ozzie Guillen jersey the other day! Quit being snobs and give it a chance!

So, personally, i couldn't care less. But, why the insistance on pissing on baseball? I have no problem with rugby and even cricket as Olympic sports. Large portions of the world are dedicated to these sports. I don't have any particular interest, but I don't go out of my way to piss on those sports, as so many of our European friends like to do with baseball. (For the record, I agree with our European friends regarding football...I hate American football. "Soccer" is something I also hate, but, then again, I don't begrudge anyone their preference.) But, for those of you lecturing others on looking beyond their own borders...look at a map. North America and Latin America, where baseball is strongest, makes up a HUGE chunk of the globe...much too big of a chunk to turn your noses up at.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 40):
Well, considering the combined population of India and Pakistan, the match probably came second to, "Laverne and Shirley".

The combined population is closer to 1.2 billion actually, I imagine you are kidding about Laverne and Shirley. As for following of a sport, America's religiosity towards it's sportings events is nothing compared to the subcontinents following of Cricket. The nation usually slows down when there is a crucial game. The only thing that might beat the subcontinent's love of Cricket is maybe Brasil/England/Italy love of football(soccer)

The Ashes which goes between England/Australia was widely followed in other
Cricketing nations(India, Pakistan, SA, etc)

cwapilot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 40):
How about the Expos and Toronto Bluejay's?

Ummm....due to the lack of interest in that French speaking region for baseball, the Montreal Expos were bought out by the rest of the Major League Baseball owners and moved to Washington, DC, and are now known as the Washington Nationals...not the best example.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 39):
As for baseball, it may be popular, but it's not really very International.

Sorry can't agree with that view.

Here is a list of countries that will be sending teams to the 2006 world baseball championship. I see North America, Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, Australia.

What was the standard for an olympic sport...played 4 of the 5 continents. I think the only one missing in this list Antarctica.

World Baseball Teams
» United States
» Canada
» Mexico
» South Africa
» Australia
» Dominican Republic
» Italy
» Venezuela
» China
» Chinese Taipei
» Korea
» Japan
» Cuba
» Netherlands
» Panama
» Puerto Rico

Here is a link to a list of counties of Origin and the players. It also lists what US MLB team that they play for(If they do) I actually didn't realize how many of our MLB players are from offshore sources.

http://www.tickco.com/world-baseball-classic/roster.htm

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting Cwapilot (Reply 41):
Well, i guess ice hockey is going to have to go, too. There is a large league in a couple of large countries, as in baseball, and the rest is just a bunch of also-rans with some mild interest, as posters above label Latin America in regards to baseball. But, would we expect the European-dominated committee to remove hockey when its also-rans are mainly European rather than Latin American coutries? Hardly! Which is more international, anyway? Well, according to the International Baseball Federation (baseball's international Olympic body), there are 115 affiliated nations, whereas hockey's counterpart, the International Ice Hockey Federation, claims only 64 affiliated nations. Hmmm...makes you think.

You right...the Arguement goes both ways....Ice Hockey is mostly European and North American. It doesn't have any following in Asia, South America, Africa.

One small problem though, most(all) of the Winter sports are like that. Should we just get rid of the Winter games. I can't see too many people in the tropics crying about it.

I think baseball/softball should stay provided other sports which are more "international" are brought into the games.

Banco

Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 44):
Here is a list of countries that will be sending teams to the 2006 world baseball championship.

Do the US put out their strongest team for this competition?

lh477

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 44):
World Baseball Teams
» United States
» Canada
» Mexico
» South Africa
» Australia
» Dominican Republic
» Italy
» Venezuela
» China
» Chinese Taipei
» Korea
» Japan
» Cuba
» Netherlands
» Panama
» Puerto Rico

How many of these teams are actually competitive?
US, DR, Cuba, PR, Japan. How many can win the Gold? US and Cuba.

The rest of the teams may not even be competitive against double A or single A farm team.

cwapilot

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting LH477 (Reply 45):
I think baseball/softball should stay provided other sports which are more "international" are brought into the games.

I agree...and I don't actually think hockey should go...just using it as an example. I just want to get at why baseball is always the favorite target. Also, people have to realize, baseball is much more international than people assume...just look at some of the examples cited above, especially by L-188.

L-188

Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:07 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 46):
Do the US put out their strongest team for this competition?

Well lets look at the US roster.

Player
Michael Barrett
Lance Berkman
Craig Biggio
Barry Bonds
Eric Chavez
Roger Clemens
Chad Cordero
Carl Crawford
Johnny Damon
Adam Dunn
Brian Fuentes
Eddie Guardado
Roy Halladay
Jason Isringhausen
Derek Jeter
Chipper Jones
Todd Jones
Derek Lee
Al Leiter
Brad Lidge
Joe Mauer
Jake Peavy
Andy Pettite
Juan Pierre
Jimmy Rollins
B.J. Ryan
C.C. Sabathia
Brian Schneider
Ben Sheets
Huston Street
Mark Teixeira
Chase Utley
Jason Varitek
Billy Wagner
Vernon Wells
Dontrelle Willis
David Wright
Michael Young
Barry Zito

Seems like a pretty good one.

If you look at the rosters on the other teams, you will see a lot of MLB teams next to their names too.