Gilligan
Topic Author

What Is Steve Martin Thinking?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:02 am

Does anybody really believe that even Steve Martin can do a better job with Inspector Clouseau than the late Peter Sellers? I've seen some of the trailers and I just can't see myself parting with the cash. I'll be waiting to see what kind of reviews this movie gets and in particular Steve Martin. I've always enjoyed his films, I can still watch "The Jerk" and end up in fits but I really think he should have left this to someone else.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

boeingfanyyz

RE: What Is Steve Martin Thinking?

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:33 am

I agree...I think Steve was not meant for this role. Although he is arguably the greatest comedic actor of all time, some roles just don't "fit". For the record, my favorite Steve Martin movie is "Bowfinger" (absolutely hilarious!)

Just my $0.02 (CDN)

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

geedo

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:33 am

Personally, I respect Steve Martin for taking the great challenge of recreating the role of Inspector Clouseau.

The producers are the ones I question, for this is a role that no one could ever duplicate or even come close. How sad it is that they felt that they had to try, but that's Hollywood.

There are actors that are great at playing the role of the fool/baffoon, and Peter Sellars was the best.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

cfalk

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 2):
Personally, I respect Steve Martin for taking the great challenge of recreating the role of Inspector Clouseau.

The producers are the ones I question, for this is a role that no one could ever duplicate or even come close.

I agree. Peter Sellers was unique. I never really was a fan of his, except for his Clouseau schtik. It was so over-the-top and outrageous, nobody could possibly come afterward and claim the role for his own.

I haven't seen the new movie, but I expect that the gags have been dumbed down. Americans have this terrible habit of taking european classics and making them acceptable to Hollywood - i.e. happy endings, dumb jokes, etc.

Can anyone imagine if American TV networks had gotten their hands on Blackadder, and tried to redo it? Ugghhh!!
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

9VSPO

Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 pm

Jim Carey would have been a better choice I think. I don't find Steve Martin funny at all.

KevinL1011

Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:22 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 4):
Jim Carey would have been a better choice I think. I don't find Steve Martin funny at all.

Well.....EXCUUUUUUUUUUSE MEEEEEEEEE!!  biggrin 

Billy Bob Thorton would have been better.

Johnny Depp would have been even better.

Izzy Izzard would have been fantastic!
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

searpqx

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:05 pm

I'll join the chorus, Sellers marked this role permanently as his. I doubt I'm going to see the movies, just from the previews, Steve Martin's attempts at the physical comedy and guilelessness of the role look forced and totally slapstick.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

KevinL1011

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:12 pm

Anybody see Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr in "The Magic Christian"?

Very off beat. One of my favs.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

BCAL

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:27 pm

Quoting Gilligan (Thread starter):
I'll be waiting to see what kind of reviews this movie gets and in particular Steve Martin

The early reviews, posted on Yahoo, say that the film and Steve Martin are not at all funny and this film should not have been made.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

9VSPO

Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:29 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 8):
this film should not have been made.

checkmark 

The movie people don't care, they just want  dollarsign   dollarsign 

OzarkD9S

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:41 am

Remakes usually aren't a good idea to begin with but Clouseau could be in far worse hands than Steve Martin's.

The real question: Who in thier right mind would cast Beyonce Knowles in ANYTHING. Oh right, she's a pop star playing a pop star. S-T-R-E-T-C-H!
Coast to Coast and Border to Border, Ozark Flies YOUR Way!

luv2fly

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:58 am

I can not wait to see it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Gilligan
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:23 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 8):
The early reviews, posted on Yahoo, say that the film and Steve Martin are not at all funny and this film should not have been made.

Yes, I just looked at those and last night when I got home I happened to see a trailer on TV. Just looked awful. Really forced and not funny.

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 5):
Johnny Depp would have been even better.

I hadn't thought of that buy you are absolutley right.

Another missing element, Blake Edwards.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

brokenrecord

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:10 pm

I honestly thought it was hilarious.

I almost coughed up a lung laughing so hard.

scbriml

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:50 pm

I've been in the US for the last couple of weeks and seen trailers on TV - it looks painful. no 
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

Gilligan
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:27 pm

Quoting Brokenrecord (Reply 13):
I honestly thought it was hilarious.

You need to rent "A Shot in the Dark" with Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom, and Elke Sommer directed by Blake Edwards. You will cough up that lung as well as cry like a baby from laughing so hard. Honestly, the scene where Peter Sellers and Elke Sommer are on the way back into town from the nudist colony is one of the true classic comedy cinema scenes of all time.

desertjets

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 3):
Americans have this terrible habit of taking european classics and making them acceptable to Hollywood - i.e. happy endings, dumb jokes, etc.

Well they did cast Beyonce Knowles in the damn thing.

I vaguely remember the original Pink Panther, and to be honest when I think of the Pink Panther I think of the cartoons rather than Peter Sellers.

While Steve Martin is a very talented comedic, and dramatic, actor, he often makes some very poor choices in the films he makes. A bad remake of Pink Panther is certainly one of them. Though I will hesitate to pass judgement b/c many of his movies are often underrated and are not fully appreciated until years later.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

tristarenvy

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:28 am

Hmmmm.

A remake of a classic series, starring an actor who seems to be following Eddie Murphy into doing "kid movies" and has a theme song about Beyonce's rear end. Brilliant!

Common sense would say "Bomb", but we're talking Hollywood, so it'll make a ton of money.
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

MaverickM11

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:32 am

Does anybody really believe that even Steve Martin can do a better job with Inspector Clouseau than the late Peter Sellers? I've

Nope...this movie looed like a complete train wreck from the moment I saw the first preview.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BCAL

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:02 am

I recall that after Peter Sellars' death, two Pink Panther films were released - one of which was out takes and/or deleted scenes from all the Panther films in which Sellars had starred and which had been put together to make a disjointed film, and the other cast someone (perhaps a well-known French or Italian star) as Closseau. I be damned if I can remember that actor's name, but both films were disasters and probably finished off the Pink Panther for good, so Steve Martin took on a bigger risk with yet another remake.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

tristarenvy

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 19):
I recall that after Peter Sellars' death, two Pink Panther films were released

From 1982 "Trail of The Pink Panther"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084814/

From 1983 "Curse of The Pink Panther"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085384/

From 1993 "Son of The Pink Panther" w/Roberto Benigni
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108187/
If you don't stand for SOMETHING, you'll fall for ANYTHING.

cfcuq

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting Kevinl1011 (Reply 7):
Anybody see Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr in "The Magic Christian"?

If you want it, here it is, come and get it ............ that ending was classic !!

smokescreen

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Tristarenvy (Reply 20):
From 1982 "Trail of The Pink Panther"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084814/

From 1983 "Curse of The Pink Panther"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085384/

From 1993 "Son of The Pink Panther" w/Roberto Benigni
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108187/

This ill-advised remake looks worse than any of these. Metacritic rating of 39%:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/pinkpanther

TSV

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:21 am

That scene in one of the movies with a blind John Bluthal was a classic. Somehting like :

"Does your Daug bite?"

"No"

"Grrraaagggghhhhh"

"I thought you said your Daug does not bite!"

"It's not my Daug"
"I told you I was ill ..." Spike Milligan

AerospaceFan

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:32 am

Does anybody really believe that even Steve Martin can do a better job with Inspector Clouseau than the late Peter Sellers?

A reviewer I heard on the radio said that the role should have been played by Kevin Kline, not Steve Martin.

I like Martin -- he was funny in The Man with Two Brains, for example. But I also think that Kline is funny, and maybe funnier. Kline's funniest role was probably in A Fish Called Wanda.
What's fair is fair.

Gilligan
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am

Kline or Depp would have been a better choice.

scbriml

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:14 am

Is this your minkey?

Are you blind?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

HatTrick

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am

I can't remember his name, but for some reason the guy who plays Monk seems like he'd be a good Clouseau.

ShyFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:29 pm

I suddenly have a craving for a werm mango.

I lift things up and put them down.

BCAL

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:05 am

Perhaps Rowan Atkinson would be a better choice to play Closseau?