BN747
Topic Author

White Americans And Crystal Meth

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:29 am

With respect to AerospaceFan's hourly post of new topics/subjects, I wonder how this king-size epidemic of a target was overlooked? It's known that whites are the biggest abusers of methamphetamines. But why are there no statistics as to 'how widespreads the problem is in terms of white usages versus other ethnic demographics? Why does this drug appeal to mostly whites anyway. Millions are pissing away their lives over this. Lately, there's been a slew of specials ( I saw the HBO special--and Frontline's coming up this week) are airing about this 'epidemic. And from what I've seen. it's no longer just Rural/heartland America caught up into this.

PS I don't suspect any crystal-meth users to be scanning A.net, therefore nor do I expect any to contribute.

BN747

[Edited 2006-02-13 01:32:25]
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

AeroWesty

RE: White Americans And Crystal Meth

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting BN747 (Thread starter):
With respect to AerospaceFan's hourly post of new topics/subjects,

rotfl   rotfl 

Why does this drug appeal to mostly whites anyway.

:: hide prescription bottle of Dexedrine spansules ::

Hmm, good question! They sure are yummy.
International Homo of Mystery

doug_or

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:36 am

ahhhhhh crack for crackers. My uninformed guess as to the hillbilly appeal is where its cooked up. You don't need connections. you don't need illiegal substances. All you need is someplace out of the way that cops aren't likely to come by. Meth is the new moonshine. And burnt umbre is te new black. You can take that to the bank (but he are very unlikely to give you anything for it).
When in doubt, one B pump off

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:51 am

With respect to AerospaceFan's hourly post of new topics/subjects

rotfl  Nailed him!

I wonder how this king-size epidemic of a target was overlooked? It's known that whites are the biggest abusers of methamphetamines. But why are there no statistics as to 'how widespreads the problem is in terms of white usages versus other ethnic demographics?

Good question, but what is your point? Are you upset that the black community isn't amply sharing in this tragedy?  sarcastic  My guess is that you're comparing it to the highlighting of the disproportionate increase in HIV infection rates w/in the black community. Would you have proffered that the trend not be highlighted, and the fact that relatively more black men are becoming infected be ignored and the trend allowed to continue unchecked?

As for the popularity - the stuff is insidious. Between the physical euphoria and the horrific low you get from the drug, a physiological and psychological addiction develops almost immediately. Even first time users will do just about anything to maintain the 'high'. Meth started as popular drug for bikers and truckers - folks that wanted to be up and alert for long stretches. It migrated from there into the party crowds, and actually has only recently become a 'rural' problem. It's moved into the country because that is the safest place to produce it.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 3):

Good question, but what is your point? Are you upset that the black community isn't amply sharing in this tragedy? sarcastic My guess is that you're comparing it to the highlighting of the disproportionate increase in HIV infection rates w/in the black community. Would you have proffered that the trend not be highlighted, and the fact that relatively more black men are becoming infected be ignored and the trend allowed to continue unchecked?

...but what is your point?

My point (question) is right there... see the term 'statistics..'

I wonder how this king-size epidemic of a target was overlooked? It's known that whites are the biggest abusers of methamphetamines. But why are there no statistics as to 'how widespreads the problem is in terms of white usages versus other ethnic demographics?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 4):
My point (question) is right there... see the term 'statistics..'

No, your question was about statistics, and I said, it's a good question. But I'm curious as to your purpose in raising the question? My guess, as I said, is that you're trying to make (an invalid) comparison with the HIV stats.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:37 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 5):
No, your question was about statistics, and I said, it's a good question. But I'm curious as to your purpose in raising the question? My guess, as I said, is that you're trying to make (an invalid) comparison with the HIV stats.

There is no comparison... but the HIV stats to appear thoroughly detailed.

BN747

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 6):
but the HIV stats to appear thoroughly detailed.

That they do, and like I said, I don't know why. Most Meth statistics seem to be organized around age (since it's impacting youth heavily) and locale, vs. race. Perhaps no one has noticed any significant variations by race (as compared to the population as a whole), perhaps they're just overwhelmed, and perhaps they just haven't gotten there yet.

BN747
Topic Author

White Americans And Crystal Meth

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 7):
That they do, and like I said, I don't know why. Most Meth statistics seem to be organized around age (since it's impacting youth heavily) and locale, vs. race. Perhaps no one has noticed any significant variations by race (as compared to the population as a whole), perhaps they're just overwhelmed, and perhaps they just haven't gotten there yet

Yes, you are right, stats about age are everywhere! And thanks for taking a stab at it... but I think the 'stats' computer at the DEA or where ever, is like your computer at home, but probably much faster... and mostly likely able to answer the question instantaneously.

I'd like to just want to know what is the estimate of whites hooked on the stuff.

BN747

[Edited 2006-02-13 03:12:16]

halls120

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 8):
Yes, you are right, stats about age are everywhere! And thanks for taking a stab at it... but I think the 'stats' computer at the DEA or where ever, is like your computer at home, but probably much faster... and mostly likely able to answer the question instantaneously.

I'd like to just want to know what is the estimate of whites hooked on the stuff.

According to SAMHSA:

The highest rates of past year methamphetamine use were found among Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders (2.2 percent), American Indians or Alaska Natives (1.7 percent) and persons reporting two or more races (1.9 percent)

Past year methamphetamine use among whites (0.7 percent) and Hispanics (0.5 percent) was higher than among blacks (0.1 percent) or Asians (0.2 percent)
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 9):
According to SAMHSA:

The highest rates of past year methamphetamine use were found among Native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders (2.2 percent), American Indians or Alaska Natives (1.7 percent) and persons reporting two or more races (1.9 percent)

Past year methamphetamine use among whites (0.7 percent) and Hispanics (0.5 percent) was higher than among blacks (0.1 percent) or Asians (0.2 percent)

Thanks for the numbers Halls... that's roughly 7 million users, I wonder about the accuracy. I mean the sheer number of pothead's gotta be twice to 3 times that!

BN747

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:29 pm

Thanks for digging those up. I work with Hawiians fighting addiction, and I knew the numbers where high, just didn't realize how much higher. It really is a problem here, afflicting huge swaths of almost every island.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 11):
Thanks for digging those up. I work with Hawiians fighting addiction, and I knew the numbers where high, just didn't realize how much higher. It really is a problem here, afflicting huge swaths of almost every island.

All I can say to that is.... WOW! How Hawaii has changed!

BN747

Superfly

Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:05 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 5):
But I'm curious as to your purpose in raising the question?

How come you aren't so "curious" when other topics are raised about popblems that effect other ethinic groups?
This is the first time I've seen you so "curious" about a topic.
Bring back the Concorde

checkraiser

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:24 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 10):
Thanks for the numbers Halls... that's roughly 7 million users, I wonder about the accuracy. I mean the sheer number of pothead's gotta be twice to 3 times that!

I'm gonna say potheads are probably easily ten times that number. However, marijuana is not a devastating addictive drug.  relieved   cloudnine 
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:26 pm

According to SAMHSA:

I said that's approx. 7 million users, I'm not sure about that.

http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/public.cfm

In 2002, an estimated 19.5 million Americans, or 8.3 percent of the population aged 12 or older, were current illicit drug users. Current drug use means use of an illicit drug during the month prior to the survey interview.

Now that's inclusive of pot,cocaine,heroin, crack, meth (and it's variants), etc...

And like the gov't, as usual, off by all things of measurements..this has gotta be WAAAAaaaayyyyy off the mark! Or a critically,

Because I'm sure California easily has 5 million of it's residents that can fall into that collective categorization. Add in the Rush Limbaugh type druggies and that number shoots thru the roof!

Although we're the most populous state, Crystal meth is historically and is probably, the most prominent drug of choice among rural demographics.

Of nearly 300 million Americans, it's hard for me to believe that roughly 8% is dabbling in illicit use. Let's say there's a 100 million teens in the US.. I'd have to say that easily, 30 million of those are screwing around (continuously) with some shit they shouldn't be... YES, I'm saying one THIRD..and I'm being generous!

BN747

checkraiser

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 15):
YES, I'm saying one THIRD..and I'm being generous!

At my high school (ten years ago) I would say one third DABBLED. Maybe about 20% were regular users. Nevertheless, people don't admit this stuff on surveys, and I would venture to say that one third of Americans (age 14 and up) recreationally use some sort of illegal substance at least once a year.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:55 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 16):
At my high school (ten years ago) I would say one third DABBLED. Maybe about 20% were regular users. Nevertheless, people don't admit this stuff on surveys, and I would venture to say that one third of Americans (age 14 and up) recreationally use some sort of illegal substance at least once a year.

Well the scary part is, SAMHSA says about 2 million new users come aboard each year.... well.. that doesn't mean last years' quit!

BN747

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:29 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
How come you aren't so "curious" when other topics are raised about popblems that effect other ethinic groups?
This is the first time I've seen you so "curious" about a topic.

Because I was wondering where he was going with this, especially in light of recent postings in the HIV/AIDS thread. I said it felt like he was making an invalid comparison with the statistical tracking thats done w/ HIV/AIDS in the Black community. He said he wasn't, and I'm cool with that. Alright with you, or do I need a note?

Superfly

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:38 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
I said it felt...

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 18):
Alright with you, or do I need a note?

Why are you getting so emotional?
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 19):
Why are you getting so emotional?

Not getting emotional at all, just asking if my explanation was sufficient for ya - you're the one that implied I had some ulterior motive.

Superfly

Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:55 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 20):
you're the one that implied I had some ulterior motive.

Well considering dozens of topics are started daily at this site, can you blame me for asking why you were so "curious" about this topic?
Plus you are being very defensive too.
Bring back the Concorde

searpqx

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 21):
Well considering dozens of topics are started daily at this site, can you blame me for asking why you were so "curious" about this topic?
Plus you are being very defensive too.

Whatever 'fly - I guess I should be flattered you're paying so much attention to what I post. For the record, I have a special interest in both HIV/AIDs and Meth addiction/treatment, both have hit very close to home for me. The topics today interested me, I felt I had something to contribute, so I did. You're welcome to read into what you will. For my part, I'm going to hit the sack - have a good one.

Superfly

Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:12 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 22):
I guess I should be flattered you're paying so much attention to what I post.

...and you should be "flattered" that I would spend time reading your post.  Wink

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 22):
For the record, I have a special interest in both HIV/AIDs and Meth addiction/treatment, both have hit very close to home for me.

Sorry to hear about that. Both are very bad.
Bring back the Concorde

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:27 pm

It's moved into the country because that is the safest place to produce it.

Still unsafe as hell, many methlabs tend to blow up. Reason for doing it in rural areas is that the smell of ammonia is masked by the smell of farming. Anhydrous ammonia is used in farming, and tanks are a popular target for meth users.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

IAH777

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:59 pm

I gotta wonder who looked at a bottle of chlorine (or whatever) and thought, Y'know, if I mix it with fertilizer and cold medicine, I bet I could get high.

Same with formaldehyde. Who the holy f*ck decided that embalming fluid would be a tasty treat?!?

KaiGywer
Crew

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 25):
I gotta wonder who looked at a bottle of chlorine (or whatever) and thought, Y'know, if I mix it with fertilizer and cold medicine, I bet I could get high.

Same with formaldehyde. Who the holy f*ck decided that embalming fluid would be a tasty treat?!?

Last summer I worked in the evidence room of a local PD, and saw first hand some of the ingredients. Brake cleaner, WD40, and other nasty stuff you'd think wouldn't do your body good.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

ME AVN FAN

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:36 pm

methamphetamines

eehhhmmmmm, so sorry, but what are "methamphetamines" ?  angel 

Dougloid

Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:57 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 24):
Still unsafe as hell, many methlabs tend to blow up. Reason for doing it in rural areas is that the smell of ammonia is masked by the smell of farming. Anhydrous ammonia is used in farming, and tanks are a popular target for meth users.

One thing I'm sorry to say that we excel in here is homemade production of meth and I saw a lot of it as an assistant county attorney in a rural county.
The reasons are that anhydrous ammonia, one of the compounds needed for production of the stuff is a commonly used fertilizer, and until recently pseudoephedrine was legally available in any quantity, as long as you had a crew for grinding up Sudafeds. People would rouytinely steal anhydrous out of nurse tanks either in the field or in the parking lots of cooperatives.

It's frightfully hazardous stuff to handle, kinda like liquid propane, and the thieves get burned all the time. One guy here spilled the stuff on his groin and flash froze his manly parts. Out of the hospital, he was caught a week later stealing more anhydrous.

Some of the other ingredients-muriatic acid (a/k/a swimming pool cleaner) and ether are also frightfully dangerous to handle. They also smell terrible and that's how most active sites are discovered. The smell of ether can travel a long way. In addition. lithium metal harvested from batteries is awfully reactive as well.

There are not too many red-P cooks here, but occasionally someone tries it. It requires a lot of work to harvest sufficient red phosphorus from matchheads to do the job.

At one time there were on the order of 4 or 5 active cooking operations discovered every day, but that's slacked off. There's a lot of commercially made mexican speed coming in to the state, but the locals prefer the home brew because it hasn't been stepped on. Some connoiseurs say that the lithium reduction process (a/k/a the Nazi meth process) produces a better buzz.

You can tell people who cook and use. They look like hell and they smell bad, like they've been burned in a bad fire. They chew their fingernails to the bloody quick.

It's not a totally bad deal. I met a guy who was a chemist for a company in Kansas City that did hazardous waste remediation. They were making a lot of money in Iowa. He said "anything with a pH over 12 is defined hazardous waste. All cook dumps are over 12 and that means we have to do the whole megillah."
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 28):
It's frightfully hazardous stuff to handle, kinda like liquid propane,

Yeah, that's what I felt too. I had no problems handling coke, crack, pot, extacy, but I hated handling meth. Thank god for latex gloves.

There are not too many red-P cooks here, but occasionally someone tries it. It requires a lot of work to harvest sufficient red phosphorus from matchheads to do the job.

We had a bag full of matchbooks. What a pain that must have been.

It's not a totally bad deal. I met a guy who was a chemist for a company in Kansas City that did hazardous waste remediation.

Yeah, as long as it gets cleaned up properly. Many people will just clean it up and then say nothing about it during a later sale.

Dougloid

Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:55 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 29):
It's frightfully hazardous stuff to handle, kinda like liquid propane,

Yeah, that's what I felt too. I had no problems handling coke, crack, pot, extacy, but I hated handling meth. Thank god for latex gloves.

You folks up north of us have a fair amount of do it yourselfers, do you not?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

BN747
Topic Author

British Troops Clobber Iraq Teens On Video

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:30 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 27):
methamphetamines

eehhhmmmmm, so sorry, but what are "methamphetamines" ?

A drug with a litany of spinoffs that has taken this country by storm! Take a look at the link posted it here it offers some pics and deeper insight.

http://www.stopdrugs.org/methamphetamines.html

"Methamphetamines and amphetamines are also highly addictive and dangerous stimulants. Commonly referred to as uppers and speed, these drugs are sold in powder, pill, and capsule forms that can be inhaled through the nose, swallowed, or injected.

Like cocaine and crack, the physical effects of methamphetamines and amphetamines are in creased alertness, euphoria, appetite loss, dilated pupils, elevated heart rate, increased respiration, and elevated body..."

It's been around in some form or another for a very very long time and with each evolutionary turn... it apparently gets more powerful (and dangerous) than before...

BN747

[Edited 2006-02-13 21:53:01]

searpqx

Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 23):
...and you should be "flattered" that I would spend time reading your post.

Oh but I am. .  Wink

Still unsafe as hell, many methlabs tend to blow up.

I should have put quotes around my 'safe'. You hit it spot on, its safer from detection, simply because of the remoteness of many of the country labs. Personal safety and meth production are an oxymoron. Unfortunately, country labs are also the ones more likely to have children around, as many of them are folks cooking right out of their kitchen.

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 25):
Y'know, if I mix it with fertilizer and cold medicine, I bet I could get high.

Sick bastards, who ever they were.

aa757first

Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:38 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 15):

Of nearly 300 million Americans, it's hard for me to believe that roughly 8% is dabbling in illicit use. Let's say there's a 100 million teens in the US.. I'd have to say that easily, 30 million of those are screwing around (continuously) with some shit they shouldn't be... YES, I'm saying one THIRD..and I'm being generous!

Not exact numbers, but around 45% of the general US population has used marijuana at some point during their lives and about 50% of high school seniors have used marijuana at some point during their lives.

AAndrew

BN747
Topic Author

Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:14 am

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 33):
Not exact numbers, but around 45% of the general US population has used marijuana at some point during their lives and about 50% of high school seniors have used marijuana at some point during their lives.

Now add in post high schoolers and Middle Schoolers and tell me what numbers you shake out...

.. they'll soar above 30 million with ease!

BN747

KaiGywer
Crew

Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 30):
You folks up north of us have a fair amount of do it yourselfers, do you not?

Yeah, we see them from time to time. Anywhere from the trunk of a car (drove past it, read about in the newspaper the next day), hotel room (local hotel), to my in-laws farm (pissed me off, they rented out the house and some asshat decided to cook meth in their house, and with the laws in Minnesota, you are jointly responsible for cleanup costs). But either the numbers are down, or it's just not newsworthy anymore. I believe we found two last year in my dept.

Quoting BN747 (Reply 31):
Like cocaine and crack, the physical effects of methamphetamines and amphetamines are in creased alertness, euphoria, appetite loss, dilated pupils, elevated heart rate, increased respiration, and elevated body..."

At least with coke (and to a certain degree crack) you know what you are getting. With meth, you never know, and seeing the ingredients....hell no!

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 32):
I should have put quotes around my 'safe'. You hit it spot on, its safer from detection, simply because of the remoteness of many of the country labs. Personal safety and meth production are an oxymoron. Unfortunately, country labs are also the ones more likely to have children around, as many of them are folks cooking right out of their kitchen.

Which is sad. Because if they don't blow up, the kids are being exposed to the fumes, the "clientele", and the fact that if your parents are cooks, you most likely don't live a very happy childhood in the first place.

halls120

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:14 pm

One day I was taking my mother on an errand near her home in rural northern California. We drove by a burned out mobile home, and I looked over and said, wow, that must have been a meth lab. Turns out I was right. Talked to the sheriff of this country a few days later, and he told me that 3 out 4 mobile home fires in his county during one stretch of time were meth labs that had gone up in smoke.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AerospaceFan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 am

With respect to AerospaceFan's hourly post of new topics/subjects, I wonder how this king-size epidemic of a target was overlooked?

'Tain't hourly, none!  Wink

It's a good question, though, about crystal meth. What is it about this epidemic that escapes mainstream notice?

Ever watch Cops? Seems like every few busts, you have some meth'd-out white boy running away from the law. But, aside from Saturday Night Live skits, you don't see much of this anywhere else.

Dateline NBC, your life is calling!
What's fair is fair.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:41 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 37):
Ever watch Cops? Seems like every few busts, you have some meth'd-out white boy running away from the law. But, aside from Saturday Night Live skits, you don't see much of this anywhere else.

Acutally quite interesting as we were discussing this in class yesterday (Police Emergency Response Procedures), and the teacher is a sergeant in a PD near us. He said that meth busts are down. He said it could be due to moving any medicine containing ephedra to behind the counter and requiring ID to buy it, or as he and other officers think, that people are finally starting to wake up and realize how bad the chemicals are for you. They base their theory on the fact that while meth is down, cocaine is WAY up last year.

He also said, as bad as it sounds, that he prefer people abusing cocaine than meth, just due to the risks involved in meth production. Also, meth is single use addictive, meaning you only have to try it once to get addicted, while other drugs need repeat use to create addiction. Most of the addicts and dealers he interview say that they tried meth once, and ever since they are just trying to replicate the high from the first use. None of them have ever been able to though.

Hole_Courtney

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:29 am

I never post here, I usually like to read cos frankly a lot of the posts are hella interesting.

That being said, I feel compelled to respond because the original poster said that any meth users wouldn't be on a.net and therefore wouldn't respond.

I am a former meth user, and I've seen and been through the worst of it. I used actual Ice, which is the labratory-grade quality meth (around $150/gram.) Most of the meth that people talk about is called 'crank' - the stuff made in people's backyards (around $50/gram.)

Meth is definitely the biggest drug problem facing the US today. It is one of the few drugs where the warnings from the government are actually correct: it is the most highly addictive thing on the planet (sans nicotine.) After one use of it, I thought it was the best drug on the planet. I wanted to do it until I died (which would have been soon had I not stopped.) It's not just one use that gets you addicted; when you use meth, you go on days-long binges ranging anywhere from one full night to even a week or so. That's what gets you addicted. You get so much of it in your system because you never want to come down. You're so sped up that the thought of slowing down makes you physically ill.

The culture surrounding meth users is especially addictive. The constant ramblings and late night runs to 24-hour places (go to wal-mart at 4 in the morning and you can see all the meth users in town) are very addicting in terms of lifestyles. All you can think about is doing meth, every hour every day. All you can think about is how much you will "accomplish" whilst on meth, even though you spend so much time talking about it that you never actually *do* anything.

Not to make this post too long, I will say that another reason it's addictive is because there's a culture of production in the US. To explain, there's so much pressure for people to constantly be productive that meth is the one drug where you think you can write a novel in an hour, or take that non-stop 36hour roadtrip. Adderall, Ritilin, and other 'ADD' drugs are basically prescription and government controlled amphetamines.

And just for my own sake, and to avoid criticism for being 'just another user,' I graduated from college (I used while on a summer break,) on time, with a high gpa and am now working on my instrument rating to be a career pilot. I've definitely overcome the addiction, but it wasn't easy. I'm no authority on meth, but I've been there and have a better perspective than most.

live forever and stay beautiful,
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting Hole_courtney (Reply 39):
And just for my own sake, and to avoid criticism for being 'just another user,' I graduated from college (I used while on a summer break,) on time, with a high gpa and am now working on my instrument rating to be a career pilot. I've definitely overcome the addiction, but it wasn't easy. I'm no authority on meth, but I've been there and have a better perspective than most.

Kudos to you for being able to get out of the habit. What you said just backs up my post about it being addictive after a single use. I wish you luck, and hope you manage to stay away from both meth, and other drugs. I also hope you have no contact with people who are still using.

Good luck in your pursuit as a pilot, but have you given any thought to what role your past might play in a future interview/background investigation? Not to play down your goals, which are great, just realizing the huge competition there is out there.

searpqx

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:52 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 37):
What is it about this epidemic that escapes mainstream notice?

Interesting observation, especially considering some of the information in this thread. If you truly think its escaped mainstream notice I suggest you change your news sources. You'll find it's very much in the forefront of drug related issues.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 38):
He said that meth busts are down. He said it could be due to moving any medicine containing ephedra to behind the counter and requiring ID to buy it, or as he and other officers think, that people are finally starting to wake up and realize how bad the chemicals are for you.

We're not seeing a significant decrease in use here, but it certainly isn't growing at the rate it was just after 2000. I do think the control of ephedra and related chemicals is a huge factor. I have my doubts on whether users are 'waking up', but I'm happy with any decrease, anywhere, for any reason.

I am a former meth user, and I've seen and been through the worst of it.

You have my respect for coming through it, having goals for your life, and having the courage to talk about it. As a former user myself I know just how difficult each of those accomplishments are by themselves, let alone in combination. Keep up the good work and good luck to you.

Hole_Courtney

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 40):
Good luck in your pursuit as a pilot, but have you given any thought to what role your past might play in a future interview/background investigation? Not to play down your goals, which are great, just realizing the huge competition there is out there.

I have thought about it. When I decided to be a pilot (which, technically was when I was 2, but that doesn't really count,) the only thing I wanted to do was to be a professional pilot. Yes, I know background plays a role in that, but aside from this particular public display of my former addiction, there are no official records of me being on *any* drug. To me, it doesn't matter what your background is, what matters is how good you are at what you do. I refuse to be judged by anything other than my ability to control an airplane. If any airline, or hell all the aviation companies out there don't want to hire me based on something that I did years ago (aside from, say, murder,) then I am content not to work for someone who will judge me like that. If I learned anything from the addiction, it's that you only have yourself to answer to. As long as I know I did the best I could (as trite as that is) then I'm happy. I'm also gay, so I think about that more often than my past when it comes to being a pilot. The only respect I deserve is the respect I earn whilst in the cockpit.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 41):
You have my respect for coming through it, having goals for your life, and having the courage to talk about it. As a former user myself I know just how difficult each of those accomplishments are by themselves, let alone in combination. Keep up the good work and good luck to you.

Thanks for the kind words - only people who've been down the same road can truly know how every step away from it is an accomplishment.

Cheers!
"[He] knew everything about literature, except how to enjoy it." - Yossarian, Catch 22

bhmbaglock

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:45 pm

I may be completely off base here but I think the spread of the meth problem goes back to the mid 80's when the Hell's Angels' control of the "industry" was broken by raids in Troy, NY(also somewhere in CA, IIRC) sending a laaarge number of them to prison for a long time.

Prior to this, access was very limited as a practical matter as not a huge number of people really wanted to hook up with them to buy drugs and even fewer were willing to compete with them given their reputation.

To me the worst part is seeing people with "meth-mouth". I can't imagine anybody having the stomach to practice dentistry in the country anymore.
Where are all of my respected members going?

BN747
Topic Author

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:46 pm

I never post here, I usually like to read cos frankly a lot of the posts are hella interesting.

That being said, I feel compelled to respond because the original poster said that any meth users wouldn't be on a.net and therefore wouldn't respond

I'm duly impressed! And thank you so much for providing such deep insight...I am shocked that someone came forward. I hope now that if post again here, none of attack mavens will toss this in face just to be rude it is the net after all!

I have wage that for you seperate from this addiction, you had to do so with assistance, a clinic/program or the sort... am I correct? I mean isn't this the kind of thing too powerful to quit on your own?

Adderall, Ritilin, and other 'ADD' drugs are basically prescription and government controlled amphetamines.

Yikes, now that's frightening!

BN747

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:51 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 44):
Yikes, now that's frightening!

Why frightening? They successfully treat narcolepsy, ADD, depression, among other things. The problem is when you use them in an abusive manner, to get high, rather than in a theraputic manner.
International Homo of Mystery

Hole_Courtney

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 44):
I have wage that for you seperate from this addiction, you had to do so with assistance, a clinic/program or the sort... am I correct? I mean isn't this the kind of thing too powerful to quit on your own?

Yes, I had assistance. But I was incredibly lucky in how I did: I have some of the best friends in the world. They let me stay with them, to get away from the environment, and let me talk through my addiction and some other problems that lead to it. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't be here. As I said, I was lucky - most people stay in it because they've lost all their friends outside meth.

I was faced with the choice of losing all my real friends if I kept doing meth - now, their substance background is no beautiful thing either, but meth is in a class by itself, a much worse, more addictive, and more destructive one.

AerospaceFan

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Hole_Courtney, congrats on beating your drug habit!  Smile And thanks for your great messages.
What's fair is fair.

KaiGywer
Crew

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:33 pm

Quoting Hole_courtney (Reply 46):
I was faced with the choice of losing all my real friends if I kept doing meth - now, their substance background is no beautiful thing either, but meth is in a class by itself, a much worse, more addictive, and more destructive one.

Exactly. Which is why my cop professor said he is "happy" to see cocaine on the rise, and meth going down.

skysurfer

Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:42 am

North Dakota anyone?????

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat