Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Official 2006 Daytona 500 Thread

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:07 am

Howdy, and welcome to the Official Daytona 500 Thread. I know ANCFlyer, DeltaRules and a few others will like this one. This years Daytona 500 should be a pretty good race. Several drivers have switched teams (some for the better and some for the worse) which will make it interesting. My girlfriend and I are going to the 500 on Sunday. Its her first race. We are sitting in the Weatherly Chair, Section F, Row 9, Seats 1 & 2 (Frontstretch).

This is the 5 year anniversary of the death of the greatest driver on earth, Dale Earnhardt. I was sitting in turn 4 with my uncle back at the 2001 Daytona 500 when Earnhardt died  Sad One of the saddest days in my life. RIP Dale.

I'm hoping my boy Tony Stewart can finally pull of a Daytona 500 win. He's led the most laps in the last 2 Daytona 500's so I think he's got a good shot. Dont overlook Denny Hamlin though, he kicked everyones ass in the Shootout.

-Delta767300ER

Tom in NO

RE: Official 2006 Daytona 500 Thread

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:47 am

Nice to see NASCAR cracking down on the cheater of cheaters, Chad Knaus. You'd think that idiot would have learned his lesson before now. At least there's one sports organization that knows how to crack down on its renegades.

Enjoy the race. I caught a couple of the 500's when I lived down there in the early 80's (Bobby Allison won one, Cale the other), and have been to eight or ten of the July races since then. DIS is quite the race place.

Tony Stewart does look good, but there are a bunch that'll challenge him.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Thread starter):
We are sitting in the Weatherly Chair, Section F, Row 9, Seats 1 & 2 (Frontstretch)

When you are at the race can you see the cars when they are on the oposite side of the track you are sitting? I have never been to a auto race before and always thought you could only see the cars when they go past you.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

ltbewr

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:06 am

I just hope it is a clean and safe race. I want to see tight hard racing but no 'big one' crash as that hurts the race and potentially some competitive drivers.
Tony Stewart got the crazyness going when he suggested that 'someone could get killed this week" because of the 'bump drafting' (when a car creeps up to the back of another and screws up their airflow or taps them in the back where they lose grip in the rear and sometimes crash). Then you had the crew chief who has been bounced for cheating. I hope they ban him for a big chunk of the season after this race.

kaddyuk

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:22 am

I know ANCFlyer, DeltaRules and a few others will like this one.

Just the Rednecks and Hillbillies of A.Net...
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Tom in NO

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 2):
When you are at the race can you see the cars when they are on the oposite side of the track you are sitting? I have never been to a auto race before and always thought you could only see the cars when they go past you.

Contrary to most other sporting events, at an auto race, the higher up you go in the seats, the more expensive the seats, primarily because the view is so much better the higher up you go. At the 1997 July race we went to, we paid $100 per seat for seats about 40 rows up in the Winston Tower directly on the start/finish line. The best seats I've ever had for any sporting event.

The "chair" seats are the lower seats in each section, "tower" seats are the higher ones. Row 9 in the Weatherly Chairs should provide a good view of the cars entering into Turn 3, through Turn 4 down the frontstretch and into Turn 1. There might be an OK view of the backstretch, though the pit area and the facilities behind pit road might block some of it.

http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/seating/SeatingChart.jsp

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 am

My boy Michael Waltrip impressed me in the #55 NAPA Dodge, er, Car during the Shootout. Bill Davis apologized for his engine and promised more horespower for the Gatorade Duel and the 500, so hopefully he and Dale Jr can get the #63 working again!

If BDR can get the restart problem fixed, I truly believe he can win the race. Go Mikey!

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:17 pm

I'm hoping my boy Tony Stewart can finally pull of a Daytona 500 win.

checkmark 

He certainly wasn't a happy camper after the Budweiser . . . really uptight about that bumpdrafting . . . and little Kyle Busch better pull his head out of rectal defilade before a veterans snaps it off at the collar.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 1):
Nice to see NASCAR cracking down on the cheater of cheaters, Chad Knaus.

This isn't the first tiem Knaus has been benched for sneaky shit . . . he's not alone I'm sure. He was benched last year for an issue with shocks. He's really screwing over Jimmy Johnson (who is a damned decent operator) by doing this crap. I wonder how you can fine someone team points at the beginning of the season - I'll bet they start with a negative 50 points this year. Self-inflicted wound.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 2):
When you are at the race can you see the cars when they are on the oposite side of the track you are sitting?

Depends on the track. Vegas: Yes. Daytona: Yes. Indy: No (Damned sillyassed mid-field grandstands - really screwed that track up). Etc.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
I just hope it is a clean and safe race. I want to see tight hard racing but no 'big one' crash as that hurts the race and potentially some competitive drivers.

I also hope for a clean, solid, tight race. All the more reason NASCAR needs to get rid of the damned restrictor plates. It makes racing at Daytona, Talladega, etc MORE dangerous IMO. Makes the need for bumpdrafting more prevalent. If they rule against bumpdrafting, then Restrictor Plate tracks will be relegated to simply driving in a line in a circle turning left occasionally for 500 miles. Get rid of those damn plates!!!

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 4):

tongue  tongue 

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 6):
My boy Michael Waltrip impressed me in the #55 NAPA Dodge, er, Car during the Shootout.

I laughed at him . . . talking about "winning" two Daytona 500 races. He didn't win shit- the rain stopped the race and he happened to be at the front . . . come see me when he REALLY wins a 500 miler without smashing a wall . . .  wink 

Here's the winner of the 2006 Daytona 500!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:49 pm

This is making me mad.

We have been flooded here in Daytona by about 150,000 Rednecks drinking their cheap piss american beers and with their idiotic NASCAR gear. NASCAR is a joke, their speeds are a joke and its so repetetive.

And It takes me now 20 minutes to make a 3 mile trip to I-95.

/rant over.

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 8):

Good, tomorrow I hope it takes you 40 minutes . . . double your fun.

What sport do you prefer . . . just so I can make up some sort of ranting  redflag  post about it . . .

tongue 

Nothing like a little stereotype eh . . .

Rednecks

On second thought - I wish for Gridlock for you . . . so you can sit in traffic surrounded by said "rednecks" drinking their piss poor American beer (the only part of your rant that made sense by the way) . . .

biggrin 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

KFLLCFII

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):
He didn't win shit- the rain stopped the race and he happened to be at the front

...The ONE 500 I'll probably ever get a chance to go to, and it gets called at just over a hundred laps  Yeah sure It was a great experience nevertheless, but still disappointing...

This is making me mad.

We have been flooded here in Daytona by about 150,000 Rednecks drinking their cheap piss american beers and with their idiotic NASCAR gear. NASCAR is a joke, their speeds are a joke and its so repetetive.

Welcome to Daytona Big grin Endured that for four years, and loved every second of it  Wink

But just think...If you can't stand the Rednecks, wait 'till the bikers roll in next month...All half a million of 'em  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

KFLLCFII

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):
On second thought - I wish for Gridlock for you . . . so you can sit in traffic surrounded by said "rednecks" drinking their piss poor American beer (the only part of your rant that made sense by the way) . . .

Funny thing is, the city built a multi-million dollar pedestrian overpass that crosses Int'l Speedway Blvd in front of the Nextel (Winston) Tower so they wouldn't clog up 8 lanes of traffic trying to cross the street to get to the speedway. Guess what? 99% of them ignore it anyway because the city still has orange-coned crosswalks set up no more than a quarter-mile on either side of the overpass in the middle of the street, with officers stopping traffic every five minutes!

What a total waste of taxpayer money...But hey, if you were a redneck with two fridgepacks of Coors under each arm, would YOU want to hike up a ramp 20 feet in the air?? Didn't think so  Wink
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

geedo

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:09 pm

Really looking forward to the race and the season. My man Rusty is now on the sidelines, so I'm looking for a new driver. I didn't want to take Kurt Busch just because he's stepping into the #2, but I liked him a lot more after that incident at the end of last season. He's no doubt guilty of everything they say he did and could not prove, but that's fine with me. Yeah, he could have gotten someone hurt on a public road, but there isn't a person I know that hasn't gotten out somewhere, at sometime and let it rip. What's wrong with having a "bad boy" on the circuit? There hasn't been anyone filling that role since Sr went down, so bring it on! Go get 'em Kurt! Keep the foot down and if they get in your way, you know what to do.
Just get a driver if you're going to slam some brews after the race, I think you can afford it.

This is making me mad.

If you don't like the weather...............move. Lest someone remind you of how many of your fellow countrymen it takes to screw in a light bulb.
I've got Titanic hopes and they aren't sinking

aerobalance

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:10 pm

Mark Martin by 3 lengths!
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

portcolumbus

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:14 pm

come see me when he REALLY wins a 500 miler without smashing a wall . . . wink

Uh, 2001?

I know who I'll be pulling for this weekend:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/americawestcmh/header.gif

AGC525

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:21 pm

This is the 5 year anniversary of the death of the greatest driver on earth, Dale Earnhardt. I was sitting in turn 4 with my uncle back at the 2001 Daytona 500 when Earnhardt died One of the saddest days in my life. RIP Dale.

I was a HUGE Earnhardt fan since I was a little kid. I was at that race, my first Daytona 500. I had just bought Speedweek tickets in the newly built Earnhardt Tower. As tacky as it sounds, I felt like I lost a good friend or close relative.

I haven't watched the sport nearly at all since then, and I think some of the sport and tradition died with him. I used to go to 5-6 races a year, and I don't think I watched a single race last year. I don't know, I think the sport changed that day.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

fxramper

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:23 pm

I would like to see Jeff Gordon crash on the 1st lap and have Dale Earnhardt Jr win the race.

checkmark 

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:35 pm

I laughed at him . . . talking about "winning" two Daytona 500 races. He didn't win shit- the rain stopped the race and he happened to be at the front . . . come see me when he REALLY wins a 500 miler without smashing a wall . . .

2003 is a win based on NASCAR rules...they interviewed a bunch of drivers who all said that he would've won anyway. What about 2001? That wasn't rained out. He also won the fall Talladega race in 2003. That's 500 miles -- nothing you can say about that one. Oh yeah, and the 2002 Pepsi 400, or is that not a real race in your book because it isn't long enough? Better take away all of Tony's wins that weren't in 500 mile races.

Michael has 2 Daytona 500 wins, no matter what you say. Why don't you come see me when Tony has one?  Wink

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 17):
2003 is a win based on NASCAR rules...they interviewed a bunch of drivers who all said that he would've won anyway. What about 2001?

Easy Killer! LOL

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 17):
Michael has 2 Daytona 500 wins, no matter what you say. Why don't you come see me when Tony has one?

Don't need to - Tony is a 2 Time Cup Champ, 1 Time Cup Rookie of the Year, not to mention various and sundry other racing titles too voluminous to mention. Michael's got a great name . . . one day he might even be a good driver.  wink  laughing 

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Quote:
Nice to see NASCAR cracking down on the cheater of cheaters, Chad Knaus. You'd think that idiot would have learned his lesson before now. At least there's one sports organization that knows how to crack down on its renegades.

Enjoy the race. I caught a couple of the 500's when I lived down there in the early 80's (Bobby Allison won one, Cale the other), and have been to eight or ten of the July races since then. DIS is quite the race place.

Tony Stewart does look good, but there are a bunch that'll challenge him

I'm also glad Chad Knaus was axed for a race. I'm tired of that cheater getting away with everything. He also sounds gay as shit when he talks (Same with Jimmie Johnson)

The early 80's were the good ole days of Nascar before all the Politically Correct fans came in.

Quote:

You can see them on some parts of the track but not all because of the pits, campers, ect. Luckily they have huge jumbotron TV's that you can watch also. Like others have said, its better to watch a Nascar race from the top of the grandstands.

Quote:

Quote:

This is making me mad.

/rant over.

Too damn bad. This is our territory and we have been having races here before you were born. I also know your a yankee, If the north is so good then go back. Dont come to our territory and talk shit.

Quote:
My boy Michael Waltrip impressed me in the #55 NAPA Dodge, er, Car during the Shootout. Bill Davis apologized for his engine and promised more horespower for the Gatorade Duel and the 500, so hopefully he and Dale Jr can get the #63 working again!

If BDR can get the restart problem fixed, I truly believe he can win the race. Go Mikey!

I used to like Mikey when he drove for DEI but I have lost all my respect for him since he went to BDR. BDR gave confidential information to Toyota and Dodge stripped him of factory backing and took them to court. I hope Dodge rapes BDR. I cant believe that idiot Brian France is letting rice burners into Nascar.

Quote:
I was a HUGE Earnhardt fan since I was a little kid. I was at that race, my first Daytona 500. I had just bought Speedweek tickets in the newly built Earnhardt Tower. As tacky as it sounds, I felt like I lost a good friend or close relative.

I haven't watched the sport nearly at all since then, and I think some of the sport and tradition died with him. I used to go to 5-6 races a year, and I don't think I watched a single race last year. I don't know, I think the sport changed that day.

So was I man. The Earnhardt Tower is an awesome place to sit in! I felt like I lost a family member when Earnhardt died. Nascar just aint the same since then.

-Delta767300ER

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:13 pm

Hey LOT767300ER, If you see a loud ass black 98 Camaro Z28 w/ the T-Tops off and a dude decked out in Tony Stewart gear with a big ass pinch of Copenhagen in his lip, that would be me. Ya still got the Impala big block?

-Delta767300ER

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 19):
I cant believe that idiot Brian France is letting rice burners into Nascar.

Toyota Camry assembly plant: Georgetown, Kentucky
Ford Fusion assembly plant: Hermosillo, Mexico
Chevrolet Monte Carlo assembly plant:Oshawa, Ontario
Dodge Charger assembly plant: Brampton, Ontario

Don't also forget that Dodge is also now a foreign manufacturer thanks to DaimlerChrysler's German headquarters. The Camry is the only 2007 Nextel Cup model that is built in the United States, so get off it.

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:08 pm

You got me on that, however Toyota is Japan-based. I'm more anti-Toyota than anti-Jap.

-Delta767300ER

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:08 pm

I tried to watched last years Daytona 500. I watched about 15 to 20 laps of the race, got bored with it and started to change the channels.  laughing 

Give me Formula 1 or CART!

LOT767-300ER

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:43 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):

Good, tomorrow I hope it takes you 40 minutes . . . double your fun.

What sport do you prefer . . . just so I can make up some sort of ranting post about it . . .

Nothing like a little stereotype eh . . .

Rednecks

In car racing, Formula 1 and WRC.

Stereotype? But a pretty valid one!

But how can you like NASCAR and not drink Coors and Bud ANC??? Thats not right mate!

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 12):
If you don't like the weather...............move. Lest someone remind you of how many of your fellow countrymen it takes to screw in a light bulb.

Cultural attack coming from an American? How IRONIC  Silly

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 23):

AMEN Brother.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 20):
Hey LOT767300ER, If you see a loud ass black 98 Camaro Z28 w/ the T-Tops off and a dude decked out in Tony Stewart gear with a big ass pinch of Copenhagen in his lip, that would be me. Ya still got the Impala big block?

Yes, its winterizing its flowmasters in IL. It might be hard to spot you mate, half of Daytona looks like that now.

Delta767300ER
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:50 pm

LOT, Are you at ERAU?

-Delta767300ER

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:56 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 24):
Stereotype? But a pretty valid one!

Maybe fifteen years ago . . .

Trivia question for you: Most of today's drivers are from where??? a) Texas b) California c) Alabama d) North Carolina

But how can you like NASCAR and not drink Coors and Bud ANC???

Because I don't fit your BS stereotype.

FYI, you won't find Coors for sale at any NASCAR Nextel Cup event . . . .

rlwynn

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:15 pm

Go Robby!!!!!

I can drive faster than you

dragon-wings

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:30 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 26):
Trivia question for you: Most of today's drivers are from where??? a) Texas b) California c) Alabama d) North Carolina

d) North Carolina ??

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 28):
) North Carolina ??

BUUUZZZZZ

Wrong Answer.

Today's NASCAR has more drivers from CALIFORNIA than any other state. Of course, the current NASCAR Nextel Cup Champion is from INDIANA. Hardly a stereotypical "redneck" terbacca chawing gun rack owning Chevy Truck (with non-matching paint on fenders and doors) driving Hillbilly.

And look at the Pit Crews. That really tells the tale of how national the sport has become.

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 29):
BUUUZZZZZ

Wrong Answer.

Today's NASCAR has more drivers from CALIFORNIA than any other state.

Not quite -- North Carolina and California each have 5 drivers competing in Nextel Cup full-time for 2006.

NC: Dale Earnhardt Jr, Dale Jarrett, Kyle Petty, Scott Riggs, Brian Vickers
CA: Jeff Gordon, Robby Gordon, Kevin Harvick, Jimmie Johnson, Casey Mears

Indiana is third with 4: Ryan Newman, Tony Stewart, Tony Raines, David Stremme

Missouri, Wisconsin, Virginia and Kentucky all have 3 drivers, but I don't feel like listing them all.

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:45 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 30):
Not quite -- North Carolina and California each have 5 drivers competing in Nextel Cup full-time for 2006.

Ding Ding Ding - this is what you get for not paying attention to the question . . .

Most of today's drivers are from where???

Today's NASCAR has more drivers from CALIFORNIA than any other state.

First: Didn't say anything exclusively about Nextel Cup.

Second: It was the Trivia Question played during Sunday's Budweiser Shootout . . . I didn't make it up . . .

And your list only represents 36 Drivers. Every Nextel Cup race starts with 43. Seems to me the your using fuzzymath here . . .  wink 

USAIRWAYS321

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 pm

There are plently of states with 1 or 2 drivers...I didn't list them all off, but I can if you want me to. Besides, there aren't 43 full-time drivers, and a large number of the guys who show up when they can (Carl Long, Morgan Shepherd, Kirk Shelmerdine to name a few) are from North Carolina.

If you want to add the Busch Series, North Carolina has 5 regular drivers to California's 3.

NC: Joel Kauffman, Stephen Leicht, Dwayne Leik, Matt McCall, Steve Wallace
CA: Ron Hornaday, Burney Lamar, Jason Leffler

And, the Craftsman Truck Series boasts 8 drivers from North Carolina (Kerry Earnhardt, Chad McCombee, Timothy Peters, Robert Pressley, David Ragan, Dennis Setzer, Robert Turner, Alex Yontz) compared to 4 from California (Matt Crafton, Bill Lester, Eric Norris, Mike Skinner)

All in all, this makes the tally 18 to 12 in favor of North Carolina. If you saw this on TNT during the Shootout, they're wrong, but what's new?

miamiair

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:44 pm

G
O

DJ's got a fair car, hope he wins!
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

Tifoso

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:06 pm

This is the 5 year anniversary of the death of the greatest driver on earth, Dale Earnhardt.

While, Earnhardt was a great driver, let's not exaggerate. Some of the drivers you find in F1 and Rally are amazing.

Check this out : http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2674471

It is a must-see video of Ari Vatanen at Pikes Peak. Big grin

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 3):
I want to see tight hard racing but no 'big one' crash as that hurts the race and potentially some competitive drivers.

I only watch NASCAR for the crashes. I love Daytona and Taladega.  Wink

Go Jeff Gordon!

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 25):
LOT, Are you at ERAU?

Affirmative.

Maybe fifteen years ago . . .

Most of the real drivers are from Europe and S. America. Oh wait, you mean those those guys that push their Monte Carlos at a wicked 180mph down and oval track? The best drivers do not come out of the USA period, look at F1, WRC, Paris-Dakar etc. Thankfully the rest of the world realizes NASCAR is like baseball, boring.

Because I don't fit your BS stereotype.

FYI, you won't find Coors for sale at any NASCAR Nextel Cup event . . . .

I know you dont. Most do. BTW Do you realize what you just said? NASCAR NEXTEL If Nextel isn't further proof of a redneck...I dont know what is.

ANCflyer: Do you know what would happen if you put a driver like Raikkonen and his pit crew in this "sport" and gave them 2 weeks. Hah, it would be like LeBron James in High School all over again.

YoungFlyer

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:42 am

Am i the only Jeff Gordon fan in the country??? Well i hope for a great race this sunday! just hope everything will go somthly and the the 'big one' will not happen.
BTW, if we are talking about NASCAR i always wanted to ask what do people think about the prayer before each race. If there will ever be a non-Christian driver, could he/she refuse to pray to Jesus and the Christian God (if he/she is Hindu for say). if NASCAR is trully seriouse about a more diverse field, which i think they are, i think that the prayer would have to go at some point. That is something that the drivers can do by themselves and i dont know how i would feel praying to Jesus like that if i was a driver (i am Jewish).
Dan

p.s. Lets Go Gordon!
"An eye for an eye only makes the whole world blind" -Gandhi

Tom in NO

Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:55 am

I'm sure you're familiar with the following:

Try leaving DIS after a race, especially if you're headed towards Orlando. Last time, we had to go down SR-92 to Deland, then down to I-4, and it was still a pain in the rear.

-------------------------Added notes:

Getting in, though, has always been easy for us. We go up I-4 to SR-92, up 92 to the side road that leads past the football stadium. Then we pass over/under I-95 onto Mason Avenue, then drop down into the back parking lot at the Volusia Mall (in 1984, I lived in the apartments right behind the mall off Bill France Blvd, I forget the name of the complex). Worked every time for me through the last race we went to in 1997 (apartment years aside, when I could simply walk to the track)

By the way, the best way we found to get out after the race was to go back up to Mason Avenue, then go to the beach for four hours. Roads were wide open after that.

Tom at MSY

corey07850

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:11 am

We are sitting in the Weatherly Chair, Section F, Row 9, Seats 1 & 2 (Frontstretch).

Cheers from the Allison Tower (superstretch) section S, row 53...

Should be a good race with nice weather... Bon Jovi performing... apparently some F-15's, F-16's, and B-1's rumored to be in town... Sounds like fun  Wink

geedo

Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:39 am

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 12):

Cultural attack coming from an American? How IRONIC

Cultural attack? No, it was a joke. No irony, just flipping a little crap down the line, since you deemed it necassary to call us idiots. If I wanted to "attack" you, I'd start in on your mother. Take another sip of Perrier or your Earl Grey tea and get over it.

User to user pissing matches aside, let's hope for an entertaining race with no one getting hurt.

LOT767-300ER

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 37):
Try leaving DIS after a race, especially if you're headed towards Orlando. Last time, we had to go down SR-92 to Deland, then down to I-4, and it was still a pain in the rear.

Mate, I dont want to go to MCO, I want to get to work by I-95  Silly

Quoting GEEDO (Reply 39):
Cultural attack? No, it was a joke. No irony, just flipping a little crap down the line, since you deemed it necassary to call us idiots. If I wanted to "attack" you, I'd start in on your mother. Take another sip of Perrier or your Earl Grey tea and get over it.

User to user pissing matches aside, let's hope for an entertaining race with no one getting hurt.

No need to get so defensive hehe. You must be psychic because I am drinking Perrier Lime, but im not English and I dont do tea hehe.

Ill sip my Pepsi Max  Silly

I do hope no one gets hurt....or dies.

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting YoungFlyer (Reply 36):
Am i the only Jeff Gordon fan in the country???

Probably . . .

User to user pissing matches aside

It's all in jest . . . I have lot of respect for F1 and CART/Indy drivers. Just giving LOT767 a hard time . . .

nosedive

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 38):
Bon Jovi performing...

jesus, I'm suprised ANYONE likes NASCRAP if Bon Jovi's there!

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 35):
ANCflyer: Do you know what would happen if you put a driver like Raikkonen and his pit crew in this "sport" and gave them 2 weeks. Hah, it would be like LeBron James in High School all over again.

Pfffffffft. Not if MM doesn't get its act together!

The best drivers do not come out of the USA period, look at F1, WRC, Paris-Dakar etc. Thankfully the rest of the world realizes NASCAR is like baseball, boring.

I can think of 2 American drivers who'd look at ya funny for that one. And 2 drivers who will take the grid in Bahrain may also look at ya funny as well....
Then there's Paul Tracy...

Cup Champion is from INDIANA. Hardly a stereotypical "redneck" terbacca chawing gun rack owning Chevy Truck (with non-matching paint on fenders and doors) driving Hillbilly.

Heh, I've seen a few Indianans with those trucks  Silly.

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 23):

Take CART. Shit hasn't been the same since Penske left.

ANCFlyer

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting Nosedive (Reply 42):
Heh, I've seen a few Indianans with those trucks

Yup, they snuck across the Ohio River from Canetucky . . . just ain't been caught yet.  laughing 

geedo

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:05 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 40):
No need to get so defensive hehe. You must be psychic

Defensive posture acknowledged..........sorry. embarrassed  Funny I nailed your fancy water though! I thank you for sharing that!

Good luck to everyone's driver and let's go racin!

Tifoso

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:13 am

The best drivers do not come out of the USA period, look at F1, WRC, Paris-Dakar etc.

Did you forget that the US has two F1 WDCs? Phil Hill and Mario Andretti. Ottmar Szafnauer of Honda is an American.

In the US, F1 hasn't been getting the attention it deserves.  Sad We need a second race here. All the teams will support it because the US is an enormous car market. The crappy commentary on CBS last year, which will happen this year too does not help. I just hope it's not Shaheen and Daly again...that was torture!

Open wheel racing in the US is struggling. Guys like Gordon and Stewart deserved to try for F1, but alas, the money is in NASCAR. I bet Gordon would have been successful if he had the right backing. The opportunities needed to enter F1 are not here in the US; we lost out on a great generation of drivers.

Let's hope everyone gets behind Scott Speed, and we see a renewal of open wheel racing here; it will help CART and IRL as well.

ORFflyer

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 am

and little Kyle Busch better pull his head out of rectal defilade before a veterans snaps it off at the collar.

Him, his brother and Robby Gordon too!!

Opinions vary. NASCAR is the second most watched sport, behind the NFL, in the country. I certainly respect your leanings toward open wheel racing and such, but to call NASCAR a joke is simply your opinion, and not shared by many here in the states. And not just the "redneck" states anymore. Previous posts should have enlightedend you on it's nationwide appeal nowadays.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 10):
If you can't stand the Rednecks, wait 'till the bikers roll in next month...All half a million of 'em

Yea, bitch about them LOT, and you're likely to end up not being able to bitch about anything afterwards.  Silly

let's hope for an entertaining race with no one getting hurt.

Exactly!! Well put.

LOT767-300ER

Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:22 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 41):
It's all in jest . . . I have lot of respect for F1 and CART/Indy drivers. Just giving LOT767 a hard time . .

Standard Procedure as usual.  Silly

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 46):
Opinions vary. NASCAR is the second most watched sport, behind the NFL, in the country. I certainly respect your leanings toward open wheel racing and such, but to call NASCAR a joke is simply your opinion, and not shared by many here in the states. And not just the "redneck" states anymore. Previous posts should have enlightedend you on it's nationwide appeal nowadays.

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 10):
If you can't stand the Rednecks, wait 'till the bikers roll in next month...All half a million of 'em

Yea, bitch about them LOT, and you're likely to end up not being able to bitch about anything afterwards.

1. All I am saying that the ration between a person with NASCAR stickers, driving under speed limit speeds in say Metro Chicago, Detroit or NYC is maybe 1 to 100 compared to people I see when I drive through southern cities (and Florida too of course where I am now)

Ehhh as far as bitching goes, I dont mind people who watch NASCAR and enjoy it, but rednecks who drive their damned pickups and vans and what not below speed limits and create traffic jams are a pain.

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 45):
Did you forget that the US has two F1 WDCs? Phil Hill and Mario Andretti. Ottmar Szafnauer of Honda is an American.

For a country this size, the amount of drivers that were born in the US of A is not a large one. Of course there are a few and far between. Considering everyone has a car in this country and drives from a young age, im surprised...wait no im not  Smile

Wasnt Andretti born in Italy (I think now Croatia) anyways?

Tifoso

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 47):
Wasnt Andretti born in Italy (I think now Croatia) anyways?

Yes, but he is still American  Smile

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 47):
For a country this size, the amount of drivers that were born in the US of A is not a large one. Of course there are a few and far between.

You are completely ignoring the fact that all F1 feeder series are European. For an American to really succeed as an F1 driver, there first needs to be financial support here at home, and he will be forced to stay in Europe almost all through the year.

There is no dearth of driving talent in the US. It is just that F1 is still very European, and for an American driver to succeed there would require a sacrifice of family life. Why do that when NASCAR is just as big, and there are probably more opportunities to make money (sponsorship)?

The absence of Americans in F1 is not due to talent, but the lack of a good F1 feeder series here at home. NASCAR has become such an economic machine that open wheel racing is struggling to survive. Fans can only spend so much money a year on attending races, and when most of it is spent on NASCAR, there isn't much left for other racing categories. Very sad  Sad

nosedive

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:25 am

Shaheen

Yeah, he needs to be kicked in the balls.

Guys like Gordon and Stewart deserved to try for F1, but alas, the money is in NASCAR. I bet Gordon would have been successful if he had the right backing

Yup, but Gordon has been wishy-washy about his F1 intentions forever and will continue to do so. And now he's probably too old.

The opportunities needed to enter F1 are not here in the US

They were until a few yrs ago: JV, JPM, Zanardi, and da Matta proved that.

Quoting Tifoso (Reply 48):
Why do that when NASCAR is just as big, and there are probably more opportunities to make money (sponsorship)?

Yup, and you can't commute home between races and expect to stay up front, as proven by Michael Andretti.

but the lack of a good F1 feeder series here at home

And only a few races in the Americas? Yeah good luck finding any feeder series until we get another US race and the return of say the Mexican and Argentinian races-which will probably never happen. My point is what good is a feeder series if fans have to wake up at 4 AM to watch the main event live? Sure TiVO it, but in the information age I'll just log onto formula1.com, damn that site went to shit after the FIA finally bought it, and look up the race results. Just isn't the same, IMO, if you watch a taped event.

NASCAR has become such an economic machine that open wheel racing is struggling to survive.

Hell, you act as if open wheel didn't help bring this on themselves. It'll be a sad day when the Indy 500 is just a 1 motor racelike it's going to be shortly...

Fans can only spend so much money a year on attending races, and when most of it is spent on NASCAR, there isn't much left for other racing categories.

Uh, what? With the exception of the Indy 500, most IRL tickets are CHEAPER than the NASCAR races. And yet the IRL still cant fill the stands! The IRL has no drivers that the public can identify with, Patrick aside. Nor does the IRL really market their product, but that's changing. Then theres the fact that the IRL competes with name recognition with CART.
CART is slowly figuring out the "lifestyle" events, a 3 day race weekend in a large metro area capped by things like X-games style events and concerts, are drawing a reasonable crowd. But do people go to the concert and get a free race or do they go to the race and get a free concert? CART really has no mainstream drivers or teams, anymore. Most people do now know who Paul Tracy is nor do they know who Newmann-Haas racing is anymore. In short, both sides need to shove it and get back together.
NASCRAP got it right, mainstream marketable drivers make racing, if NASCRAP can be called that, a product. The Chevy, Ford, and Dodge decals    don't hurt either.

[Edited 2006-02-16 21:37:07]