ChiGB1973
Topic Author

United Arab Emirates Jails 11 Gays

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:52 am

Though I feel it is wrong and cruel and unusual treatment, I do have to ask, why did they go to U.A.E to do this? and why stay if you cannot live, at least close to, a normal life? I am gay and would welcome a world wide change in people's views and acceptance. And to answer my own question, I would not want to leave my home country because of my sexuality.

I live in the United States and there are closed-minded bigots here, but surely these guys should have had the sense not to hold/participate in such an event where it is illegal and such a taboo.

I guess I wasn't around during the height of civil rights fights that homosexuals have had to deal with in the U.S. and really do not know much of the history about it. Is this how the U.S. and the U.K. got their start in changing the ideas and laws of the land?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/po/20060214/...o_po/unitedarabemiratesjails11gays

M

[Edited 2006-02-14 21:52:50]

Newark777

RE: United Arab Emirates Jails 11 Gays

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Thread starter):
I do have to ask, why did they go to U.A.E to do this?

It's not clear in the article where they are from, maybe they live there.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

highpeaklad

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:01 am

hmmm they never mention this sort of thing in all those adverts you see for Dubai.
I'll be on my best behavoiur when I go on holiday there later in the year

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:02 am

"In November, the Emirates' Interior Ministry said it would be giving the arrested men hormone treatments to 'cure' them of their homosexuality."

:: shaking head ::

Is this how the U.S. and the U.K. got their start in changing the ideas and laws of the land?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

We are the Stonewall girls
We wear our hair in curls
We wear no underwear
We show our pubic hair
We wear our dungarees
Above our nelly knees!
International Homo of Mystery

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:19 am

In other news, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi sent a congratulatory letter to one Abu Mohammed al Khalili, 88, on his taking of his fourth wife, Husna, 14.

"We congratulate you on your wedding, and hope that you inculcate in your new bride a respect for our traditions," said the letter. "Marriage is a sacred tradition, and we in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi, respect it fully," the letter added.

Al Khalili now has 4 wives in addition to Husna, the maximum allowed under Shariah law. They are Bibi Makhtoum, 28, Fazia, 31, and Mehrunissa, 33. Al Khalili divorced his prior wife, Noor, 45, when she experienced early menopause. He said of Husna- "she is of good stock, and shall be bred to produce many sons." Husna was not available for comment.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

CO7e7

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:33 am

I feel it is wrong and cruel and unusual treatment

Yes indeed. But let me tell you this, having been born and raised in the middle east, I can tell you that the Big M.E is not the friendliest place for gays. And that's because our culture is influenced by religion. I am a Middle Eastern catholic, but I am (like most middle easterns) influenced by the Islamic culture, personally I would like to see a change because I think everyone has the right to do whatever they want. But I doubt a change will take place in the Big M.E anytime soon.

On the other hand, If these guys were in Iran, they would've been executed.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:41 am

not want to leave my home country because of my sexuality.

but you might go anywhere, provided you are ready to stay for a while without "your sexuality" publicly. People conducting homosexual marriages are regarded as weird and "special" by almost everybody else.

Jean Leloup

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 6):
People conducting homosexual marriages are regarded as weird and "special" by almost everybody else.

In your tightly constricted mindset, perhaps. Fortunately not in my country!

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

smokescreen

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 7):
Fortunately not in my country!

I'll second that! I am proud to call home a country where people mind their own business - as Pierre Trudeau once said "the state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation" (or words to that effect). Let's just hope it stays that way.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 4):
In other news, the Emirate of Abu Dhabi sent a congratulatory letter to one Abu Mohammed al Khalili, 88, on his taking of his fourth wife, Husna, 14.

I wonder if they had a bevy of transsexual singers and dancers at their wedding, that's seemingly popular (and legal) in the UAE, as mentioned in the last thread on this:
UAE...Not Quite That Open I Guess (by Johnboy Nov 26 2005 in Non Aviation)

nwa757boy

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:02 am

guess I wasn't around during the height of civil rights fights that homosexuals have had to deal with in the U.S. and really do not know much of the history about it

Umm in my opinion the civil rights movement for gays is still going on in the U.S. unless youre talking about civil rights for blacks...which is still going on...

searpqx

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:03 am

People conducting homosexual marriages are regarded as weird and "special" by almost everybody else.

I'd argue the 'almost everybody' statement, but even in places where it might be looked upon with a raised eyebrow, there is only a small number of countries where having some sort of ceremony will land you in jail, and an even smaller number where it result in medical torture or death.

but you might go anywhere, provided you are ready to stay for a while without "your sexuality" publicly.

Aww, my favortie argument, right up there along with, "I don't mind gay people, I just don't want them to rub it in my face". Sorry folks, its not a choice, its not a decision, its a basic component of who we are. And unless you're willing to hide every aspect of your being, including your preference of mate, then I refuse too as well.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 7):
tightly constricted mindset

I do NOT have a "tightly constricted mindset" and do regard it as something which OUGHT to be normal, but suppose to be in a very very very small minority with my position. To MOST people, it is weird and abnormal. And to have a look at realities, the USA elected a president who is NOT liberal, Canada elected a government which does NOT look liberal, etc. So that your praising of your "home-country" looks a bit like wishful thinking.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting Smokescreen (Reply 8):
I am proud to call home a country where people mind their own business - as Pierre Trudeau once said "the state has no place in the bedrooms of the nation" (or words to that effect). Let's just hope it stays that way.

is THAT the reason why your country sent PET's party into the political desert ?

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 9):
if they had a bevy of transsexual singers and dancers at their wedding, that's seemingly popular (and legal) in the UAE

why should it NOT be legal ? and what is so disturbing to you about it ?

babybus

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:14 am

From my experience of the ME you can't be arrested for homosexuality unless the state has witnesses. To be arrested, therefore, you must do a sex act in public or that your partner informs on you and treats it as an assault.

In Saudi, for example, it is extremly common to walk down the street holding hands with a man or with your arm wrapped round his shoulders. In that way it is a lot softer than the West. No one bats an eyelid.

There is probably more to this story than we are being told (as usual!)
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:16 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 11):
And unless you're willing to hide every aspect of your being, including your preference of mate, then I refuse too as well.

nobody expects you to hide your "preference", you just should NOT make it a big business and a big show about it. None in the UAE would have objected to their NOT hiding it.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 14):
why should it NOT be legal ?

Never said it shouldn't.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 14):
and what is so disturbing to you about it ?

In a culture where a government would actively drug homosexuals to turn them straight, that transsexuals are featured artists at heterosexual weddings sounds truly bizarre.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 17):
actively drug homosexuals to turn them straight, that transsexuals are featured artists at heterosexual weddings sounds truly bizarre.

first of all, they usually do NOT drug homosexuals ..... and do NOT care much. And there therefore is nothing bizarre, as those "actors" act inside usual ways. While the "marriage" was perceived as something outside usual conventions. Therefore, to repeat it, NOT bizarre at all .

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 18):
first of all, they usually do NOT drug homosexuals ..... and do NOT care mu

The article says that's the plan in this case. Read, read, please.

While the "marriage" was perceived as something outside usual conventions.

The marriages I refer to are normal everyday heterosexual marriages where they use transsexuals as "entertainment".

What is it about this you don't understand?

UAL747

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:42 am

So I guess when I check into the Burj Al-Arab in Dubai, I better not ask the concierge: "Where are the closest gay bars?"

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:46 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
first of all, they usually do NOT drug homosexuals ..... and do NOT care mu
--
The article says that's the plan in this case. Read, read, please.

I really DID read. But the point is that homosexuals are in general NOT treated and NOT punished in any way. It is just as in post 15 """ you can't be arrested for homosexuality unless the state has witnesses. To be arrested, therefore, you must do a sex act in public or that your partner informs on you and treats it as an assault. It is extremly common to walk down the street holding hands with a man or with your arm wrapped round his shoulders. In that way it is a lot softer than the West. No one bats an eyelid. """ THIS is the reality under normal circumstances.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 19):
The marriages I refer to are normal everyday heterosexual marriages where they use transsexuals as "entertainment".
What is it about this you don't understand?

-
NO. It is YOU who does NOT understand that what you described as taking place at heterosexual marriages is totally normal and WITHIN general conventions. YOU are the one apparently finding it outrageous, while it is accepted as entertainment.

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 20):
So I guess when I check into the Burj Al-Arab in Dubai, I better not ask the concierge: "Where are the closest gay bars?"

UAL

Its wherever you can find an Emirates male flight attendant. And given the rates at the Burj, I doubt you'll find one there.

devil 

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:51 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 20):

The REAL problem will rather be the prices at the Burj-al-Arab. If you ask such a question to a hotel-concierge he will politily tell you that there are officially no such bars. Depending on .............. he will advise you where you might go - . There will be no problems for you from your asking.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 21):
I really DID read.

Sometimes I truly do believe we're reading completely different links.  Wink

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 21):
But the point is that homosexuals are in general NOT treated and NOT punished in any way.

"The treatments are used in the country, where homosexuality is illegal, in an attempt to change gay men and turn them straight.

[...]

"hard-line tactics used in a number of countries have led to the banning of gay news Web sites and online chat rooms."

UAL747

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am

For $1500 USD a night they better make me a gay bar, or send up a middle eastern hottie in a speedo.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 26):
For $1500 USD a night they better make me a gay bar, or send up a middle eastern hottie in a speedo.

Maybe one of those trannies doing double duty as an entertainer at a wedding.

If you want some beautiful Lebanese youth showing off his package, I suggest Beirut. Better still, I suggest Paris.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
is totally normal and WITHIN general conventions

Sheesh! I understand it's considered normal. In a society that criminalizes homosexuality, yes, *I* find it bizarre. I don't understand what your problem is with my opinion that I find it both disturbing and bizarre. You asked why, and I answered you. I gave you the reasons why, even. Your attempts to legitimize it when homosexuality is still illegal there, won't convince me otherwise.

PDPsol

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 12):
To MOST people, it is weird and abnormal.

So, let me get this straight. Are you justifying the imprisonment of 11 UAE men for attending a social gathering? By the way, this "gay wedding party" was, presumably, a PRIVATE affair. Why is UAE snooping in on the private affairs of its citizens?

The article states the UAE has imprisoned the 11 men "for homosexuality". If, as you claim, the UAE "does NOT care much" whether its citizens engage in private homosexual activities with each other, then WHY is it imprisoning these 11 men?

Also, if your explaination for their imprisonment is, "well, homosexuality is illegal in the UAE", then you are incapable of understanding how backwards the UAE truly is. A society which persecutes its un-related, adult citizens for engaging in consensual sexual activity is hardly a bastion of human development.

The UAE's imprisonment of these 11 men represents a truly disgusting display of thuggish state control over private behavior. People should condem the UAE and all other states that exercise such medieval methods.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 25):
"The treatments are used in the country, where homosexuality is illegal, in an attempt to change gay men and turn them straight.

illegal by theory of course, but reality is NOT the same as theory

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 25):
"hard-line tactics used in a number of countries have led to the banning of gay news Web sites and online chat rooms."

which have been replaced by new ones in no time. Such mishaps also happen to liberal heteros, to pro-democracy-liberals etc

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 26):
For $1500 USD a night they better make me a gay bar

they will arrange that a few "companions" get to your room directly. You should pay them generously as the concierge will take some 50% .

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:05 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 30):
illegal by theory of course, but reality is NOT the same as theory

So the men aren't being given drugs to turn them straight as the article clearly states? Again, are we reading the same link?

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):
So the men aren't being given drugs to turn them straight as the article clearly states? Again, are we reading the same link?

I wonder what these drugs are?

Maybe Miller beer?

All the 'mos I know have this instant allergic reaction to that stuff.

But let me tell you, the horniest 'mos in the world are Muslim men, in particular Arab men. They will make the most overt passes at you, be it in Saudi, Bahrain, Dubai or Karachi. That's why those mullahs are afraid. They know that they have the world's highest percentage of butt pirates.

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 32):
Miller beer?

Wow!

Did your keyboard give you an electric shock (as well it should have  Wink ) when you typed that?

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 29):
By the way, this "gay wedding party" was, presumably, a PRIVATE affair. Why is UAE snooping in on the private affairs of its citizens?

They took a page out of Dick and George's book "How Spying on your People is Good for Them."

searpqx

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 16):
nobody expects you to hide your "preference", you just should NOT make it a big business and a big show about it.

How were they making a 'show' about it - maybe I missed something but I doubt seriously they advertised the event in the local paper or sold tickets to it. My impression is that it was in a private home and was a private ceremony. So someone squealed or the government was snooping, either way, these folks were searched out, they didn't come dancing into the local police station singing, "I Did it my WAYYYYYYY"

I'm with Westy on the rest of it, we must be reading different stories, the article clearly states that they use hormone's to 'correct' homosexuality, and the government is using this case as a cautionary tale to warn parents to be on the look out for deviant behaviour from their kids (1984 anyone?). Sounds heck of a lot like the government DOES care.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:28 am

Are you justifying the imprisonment of 11 UAE men for attending a social gathering?

NO

this "gay wedding party" was, presumably, a PRIVATE affair.

it was, according to many reports, far away from "private" but quite public

WHY is it imprisoning these 11 men?

they were "advised" to the police for being loud etc

backwards the UAE truly is

the country, in many ways, IS still relatively backwards. BUT there are more serious fields than this.

sexual activity is hardly a bastion of human development

well, I do NOT quite see homosexuality as a "bastion of human development"

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 31):

not really THE men, but exactly T H E S E men

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 34):
Miller beer?
Wow!
Did your keyboard give you an electric shock

he just tried to bring a bit of realism into the matter

AeroWesty

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
he just tried to bring a bit of realism into the matter

I wasn't expecting you to get fairy humor anyway.  Wink

luv2fly

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:36 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 36):
I'm with Westy on the rest of it, we must be reading different stories, the article clearly states that they use hormone's to 'correct' homosexuality, and the government is using this case as a cautionary tale to warn parents to be on the look out for deviant behaviour from their kids (1984 anyone?). Sounds heck of a lot like the government DOES care.

I have to agree with you, I am reading it the same as you and Westy and am having no problem understanding it.
You can cut the irony with a knife

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 39):
it the same as you and Westy and am having no problem understanding it.

yes, those men are to get hormone treatment in an attempt to correct their leanings. But to conclude from this that there is a kind of program in the UAE to trace for gays and to treat them simply is wrong. What I find amazing is that guys see such things as a kind of measurement-stick to specify how advanced or backward a country may be. That the fate of a few is taken to judge everything.

jaysit

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 40):
What I find amazing is that guys see such things as a kind of measurement-stick to specify how advanced or backward a country may be. That the fate of a few is taken to judge everything.

Generally, yes. The way a nation treats its minorities is a telling example of how advanced or backward it may be. Yes, the UAE may have indoor ski slopes, the world's most expensive hotel, a man-made island shaped like a palm tree, mile upon mile of granite, brass, marble and chrome enclosed in air-conditioned splendor, and more Eastern European blond hookers per capita than any nation in the world, but if it subjects a minority group to an unreasonable prison term and then engages in rubbish science as part of its judicial decision, it is a telling example of how far it still has to go to consider itself an advanced nation.

Nordair

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:07 am

There is much I could write on this thread, but I would probably be banned, so instead, just let me say this...

This is my boss, Jonathan Hart, a self made millionaire. He's quite a guy.

This is Mrs. H. She's gorgeous. She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself.

BTW, my name is Max. I take care of both of them, which ain't easy 'cause when they met, it was murder!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/coeurdepierre/2harts.jpg
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

PDPsol

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):
well, I do NOT quite see homosexuality as a "bastion of human development"

Excuse me? Is this some veiled atempt by you to denigrate homosexual behaviour? Are you in any way, shape or form implying homosexual behaviour should be treated any differently than heterosexual behaviour by the State?

I was referring to societies which do not interfere in the private, consensual sexual behaviour of its un-related adult citizens. It is obvious the UAE is ABSOLUTELY interfering in the sexual behaviour of its citizens.

A society's human development is measured by the degree of personal freedom its citizens enjoy as well as the civil protections afforded to racial, sexual, religious and ethnic minorities.

The UAE [as well as all other states in the ME, with the exception of Israel] actively persecutes members of its gay and lesbian communities. It imprisons citizens "guilty" of "homosexuality"; this is disgusting, and it is the responsibility of free-loving men and women to condem such barbaric measures.

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 3):
Is this how the U.S. and the U.K. got their start in changing the ideas and laws of the land?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stonewall_riots

We are the Stonewall girls
We wear our hair in curls
We wear no underwear
We show our pubic hair
We wear our dungarees
Above our nelly knees!

I was talking about homosexuality being illegal? Though sodomy is still illegal in some states, especially my good ole Alabama. There was someone arrested not too many years ago in Georgia. Went to the Supreme Court.

http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/georgia/georgia.htm

Quoting NWA757boy (Reply 10):
Umm in my opinion the civil rights movement for gays is still going on in the U.S. unless youre talking about civil rights for blacks...which is still going on...

I agree, there is a long way to go, but I was talking about the extent of having to riot just to go to a club and have fun.

M

searpqx

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:01 am

But to conclude from this that there is a kind of program in the UAE to trace for gays and to treat them simply is wrong.

I don't see where anybody is claiming that UAE 'traces' gays, but it's obvious that they do prosecute those they can find, and once convicted, they subject them to hormone treatments. Twist it any way you want, but it’s the stated policy of the country.

What I find amazing is that guys see such things as a kind of measurement-stick to specify how advanced or backward a country may be.

I can't put it any better than Jaysit did - civil rights, or the lack thereof, have long been a yardstick for measurement of progress. The UAE has outlawed a class of people and has in place medical procedures to 'correct' those found to be of that class.

PDPsol

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 44):
Though sodomy is still illegal in some states, especially my good ole Alabama

Wrong.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that sodomy laws are unconstitutional on June 26, 2003. ALL sodomy laws were ruled unconstitutional.

It is perfectly legal for consenting, un-related adults to engage in sodomy [or any other sexual activity] in the US, as well it should be. The State has NO SAY over what private citizens do in their bedrooms in this country.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 41):
The way a nation treats its minorities is a telling example of how advanced or backward it may be.

Yes, the UAE may have indoor ski slopes, the world's most expensive hotel, a man-made island shaped like a palm tree, mile upon mile of granite, brass, marble and chrome enclosed in air-conditioned splendor, and more Eastern European blond hookers per capita than any nation in the world, but if it subjects a minority group to an unreasonable prison term and then engages in rubbish science as part of its judicial decision, it is a telling example of how far it still has to go to consider itself an advanced nation.

Absolutely.

All those tacky, gold-plated hotels in the UAE do nothing to modernize the country.

A country is respected by the way it treats its citizens, especially its racial, sexual, ethnic and religious minorities.

Nations, such as the Netherlands, Spain, Belgium and Canada that offer full civil marriage rights to its gay and lesbian citizens are respected and admired by other nations.

Nations that actively opress its homosexual communities are not respected by others.

skyservice_330

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 13):
is THAT the reason why your country sent PET's party into the political desert ?

First of all, Trudeau hasn't been in power for over 20 years and he has been dead for 6 years so why you call the Liberal party "PET's party" I don't quite understand. Secondly, political desert...I think not. The Liberals still hold over 100 seats in the HoC and only lost about 20 in the past election. If you want to read about political deserts I suggest you type '1993 Canadian Election' and Progressive Conservative' into Google.

Wow...I wish I could speak for 'most' people because if I could I would say that 'most' people hate asinine generalizations as demonstrated in the above post.

The way a nation treats its minorities is a telling example of how advanced or backward it may be. Yes, the UAE may have indoor ski slopes, the world's most expensive hotel, a man-made island shaped like a palm tree, mile upon mile of granite, brass, marble and chrome enclosed in air-conditioned splendor, and more Eastern European blond hookers per capita than any nation in the world, but if it subjects a minority group to an unreasonable prison term and then engages in rubbish science as part of its judicial decision, it is a telling example of how far it still has to go to consider itself an advanced nation.

thumbsup   checkmark 

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:16 pm

an advanced nation.

exactly what those countries on the Peninsula by and large are NOT. They are rich, some of them like Dubai even very successful, they are (except SaudiArabia) developing at a fast rate, but are generally rather backward and below the thin layer of "butter" still rather conservative.
-
Exactly people in power eager to push modernisation forward may however fear to appear as lenient in case, "weird" behaviour become TOO public, and may then tend to "take action" .
-
All in all a most contradictory situation.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:24 pm

Quoting Pdpsol (Reply 43):
atempt by you to denigrate homosexual behaviour?

NO, there is NO such attempt at all

implying homosexual behaviour should be treated any differently than heterosexual behaviour by the State?

NO, I am in favour of full equal rights

It is obvious the UAE is ABSOLUTELY interfering in the sexual behaviour of its citizens.

NO, it is NOT "absolutely" interfering ..... -- but when it does, its conservative face comes up

The UAE [as well as all other states in the ME, with the exception of Israel] actively persecutes members of its gay and lesbian communities.

"actively" is exactly what it is NOT. In Egypt for instance, there was a short period of maybe two months, when police went beserk about the matter, but then matters normalized. There is NOT much of "active persecution" as otherwise a very big share of the population would become persecuted ! The share in these countries is certainly much higher than in most Western countries, and gay "behaviours" are usually rather more open.

ANCFlyer

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Define "Special" . . . hell, define almost everybody else.

OK, define MOST people . . . . define abnormal.

Where do you pick up this stuff???

Did you know there's a rule here about sourcing info like this.

I'd like to see the CNN/USAToday/AOL poll that says MOST people think it weird and abnormal???

they usually do NOT drug homosexuals

Read this from the article:

In November, the Emirates' Interior Ministry said it would be giving the arrested men hormone treatments to "cure" them of their homosexuality.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 32):
Maybe Miller beer?

Coors (Light).  wink 

ME AVN FAN . . . . I think I'd stop here while you're behind . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND