greasespot

A Really Dumb Conversation

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:22 pm

We were discussing at work today a dumb subject that i have to share here...

If a person chews nicorrette gum they can possibly quit smoking.....BUt on the flip side if you are a non smoker and chewed it would you become a smoker?So as you can see it was a really dumb conversation...

scared   scared   eyepopping 

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

usnseallt82

RE: A Really Dumb Conversation

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:27 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
A Really Dumb Conversation

You're right.

Sort of like if you wipe your ass after you take a crap, would you automatically take a crap after you wipe your ass?  scratchchin 
Crye me a river

AeroWesty

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Thread starter):
BUt on the flip side if you are a non smoker and chewed it would you become a smoker?

It's actually not a dumb thing to question at all. I knew a doctor who was addicted to the gum from the time it was distributed as samples by the maker. He'd never smoked, didn't start to smoke after chewing the gum, but for the last 10-15 years or so of his life he chewed a piece of Nicorette every couple of hours.
International Homo of Mystery

HAWK21M

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:04 pm

Gime me my 15 secs back.  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

nighthawk

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
It's actually not a dumb thing to question at all. I knew a doctor who was addicted to the gum from the time it was distributed as samples by the maker. He'd never smoked, didn't start to smoke after chewing the gum, but for the last 10-15 years or so of his life he chewed a piece of Nicorette every couple of hours.

i think that post pretty much sums it up. Its not really the smoking you become addicted to, but the nicotine. The purpose of the gum is to slowly reduce your intake of nicotine until your body no longer craves it.

If a non smoker was to chew the gum, their body would start to crave nicotine, and they would become addicted, and need to continue chewing to cure the craving.

They may well move on to smoking to cure the craving, but not necessarily.

Braybuddy

Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:51 pm

I'm not a smoker, but tried it once just to see what sort of hit I'd get from nicotine. I didn't get any. . . but puked up for the rest of the night!

mrmeangenes

Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 5):
I'm not a smoker, but tried it once just to see what sort of hit I'd get from nicotine. I didn't get any. . . but puked up for the rest of the night!

Ah now, lad: Was it the bloody nicotine makin' ye heave , or mayhap the beverages accompanyin' it -as it were ? ?
gene