JetJock22
Topic Author

The Home Run Record

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:00 pm

In my annual ramp up to Opening Day, I watched the movie 61* tonight. My question is, based on speculation and what we're reasonably sure is true, that McGwire and Sosa and Bonds have all used some type of performance enhancing drug, does the record belong to Bonds or Maris. In my mind, it belongs Maris and until someone of legitimate stature breaks it, it will always be his. Just curious as to what you all think.

aaflt1871

RE: The Home Run Record

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:05 pm

I agree with you. I knew the players we juicing up back when Brady Anderson of the Baltimore Orioles belted out 50 home runs in one season. He averaged like 16 home runs a season if that (Lifetime). So I think the record should belong to Maris until you get a Cal Ripken type caliber player to come along. And do not get me started on the asshole Barry Bonds, AAron's record should stand. In the record books there should be a asterik * next to the players name in question with a note at the bottom stating possible steroid abuse.
Where did everybody go?

Bobster2

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:41 pm

Roger Maris is the single-season homerun leader.

Is this news to anybody?  Smile
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

AirCop

Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:22 pm

Lets not forget, even back in the 50's, players in baseball used whatever performance enhancing substance available to them. Sportswriters didn't write about it, and sports didn't receive the coverage it does today with twenty-four hour networks. Now regarding Barry Bonds, remember that he hasn't tested positive for anything; and really do we really know if these substances actually worked. Mark McGuire in his days with the Oakland A's he was always seemed to be injured; then suddenly he didn't get hurt as much, doctors do prescribe streoids to recover from muscle, back injuries. Finally remember to be successful in baseball you need great hand to eye coordination, you either have or not.

Boeing Nut

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:37 am

I don't know what to think about this from the McGuire angle anymore. I mean, what he and Sosa did for baseball at that time was imeasurable. Everybody was focused on it and into it. Hell I remember the night when McGuire hit 62, Sammy didn't get a good pitch to hit and St. Louis booed thier own pitcher, which is absolutely unheard of!! But I don't know what to think now.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Logan22L

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:46 am

Well, the case was made in 1961 that Maris didn't get 61 in 154 games, so Ruth still retained it (hence the *). I tend to agree with that, even though I see the logic of Maris having the record. As for Bonds, he should stick that bulbous head of his in a wood chipper.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

PIA777

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting JetJock22 (Thread starter):
In my mind, it belongs Maris and until someone of legitimate stature breaks it, it will always be his. Just curious as to what you all think.

Agree. You see 5'8" second basemen hitting 430 foot homeruns to the
opposite field these days. I don't know how they are doing it but it
can't be legal.

Quoting AAFLT1871 (Reply 1):
I knew the players we juicing up back when Brady Anderson of the Baltimore Orioles belted out 50 home runs in one season.

I could not believe the season this guy had. That should have thrown red flags and they should have tested him right away.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!