airbusA346

Website Help: Images

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:58 am

I am updating my website at the moment and I want to know if you can help me with something.

If you look on my website - http://members.lycos.co.uk/airbusa346/

You will notice that there is a GIF Ad banner at the top of the page for a company called 'Lohan'. In that ad banner, there is write which flick to something else ever other second. I want to do something similar.

There is a picture below of my brothers Mini One Seven. I have several pictures I took today of his car, which I want to put on my website.

What I want to do is to make it so that a differant image of the car, will appear every few seconds.

Does anybody know how to do it.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

gordonsmall

RE: Website Help: Images

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:10 am

It's called an animated GIF.

You can make them in most decent image editing programs, as well as several web development applications.

It can also be done using javascript, Macromedia Flash and various other technologies.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

airbusA346

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:27 am

My question is, though, How do you do it.

Im using Microsoft Frontpage 2003 if that helps.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

leigh pilgrim

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:30 am

Probably does not help, but Ive done a similar thing to you, I use Macromedia Flash player, its a git of a job to use, but the affects are awsome!

With regards to Microsoft front page 2003, have a look at the 'help' files and have a look under images or animation, there maybe something you can go by

Good luck Smile

NoUFO

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:43 am

Your photo is much too big to convert it into an animated GIF, let alone that GIFs only support 256 colours.

First: Do not disply large images smaller than they actually are. Your photo has the (enormous) size of 2272 x 1704 pixel but it's scaled down on your website to 928 x 702 pixel. Not only does scaling bitmaps reduce the quality of the image, a browser will load almost 3 times the data required to display the photo in your preferred size.

Second: A photo that has the size of 928 x 702 pixel is still too big. Period. Either create thumbnails or reduce the width to maybe 500 or 600 (max) pixel.

Third: For photos use the JPG format (as you did) and reduce the quality to 70% or less. Check the preview of your imaging software to find out if it's ok to further reduce quality.

As for your question: Again, an animated GIF is inappropriate, since your photo will be too big, and 256 colours aren't enough to make the car look good.
So either search for a JavaScript (i.e. here: http://javascript.internet.com/) or ask somebody who is familiar with Flash and has a licence to publish Flash movies.
I support the right to arm bears