Dougloid
Topic Author

Massive PC Crash-don't Try This At Home!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:46 am

Yes, I know, I shoulda bought a Mac.

Just wanted to get that out of the way heh heh.

Anyway. I've been working on this project of evaluating antivirus software with the ultimate objective of dumping Norton. I've gotten AV-G Free running well in the W98SE workhorse and in the wife's WXP Pro Toshiba laptop, not without some digging around and undoing little Norton surprise packages in the most unlikely place.

So I spotted what looked like a good freeware application from Antivir and started downloading it. About 90 per cent of the way through the download one of my students sent me an AIM message. Then, the Antivir and the Norton got into a slugfest and what I ended up with was a completely crashed PC. I know you're thinking "system restore" but I couldn't even get to it. After about 15 or 20 unsuccessful reboots, I'd decided that i would have to reload the operating system, but I couldn't even boot from the CD.

So, I powered it down, then up again, and off to the W98SE machine to create some XP floppy boot disks. As an aside, there's always a good reason to have a floppy drive on a W machine.

Anyway it took me about an hour to get it done, then back up stairs to see if I could boot from them to start doing the operating system reload.

there was the desktop. Even though it ran slowly, I was able to get to system restore and haull my sorry ass back from the edge of hell itself.

Moral of the story? 1. If you can find a reason to shitcan AOL instant messaging, do it. If you can't, shut it down before you do anything 2. If you're going to do anything at all in the antivirus line, first uninstall Norton. All of it.

Anyone using Antivir? I believe it's a German production

http://www.free-av.com/
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

TheSonntag

RE: Massive PC Crash-don't Try This At Home!

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:34 am

Ever heard of the "only 1 AntiVir programme at a time" rule?

I use AntiVir, too. A nice programme, especially because it is free, however when you have a virus, there are better programmes around to minimize the damage. But it is a good programme nevertheless.

bhill

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:50 am

Antivir is a known NO NO..full of adware and other hidden goodies...Dougloid, you seem to be pretty computer savvy..get a "junk" box as a test environment to try this out on before you experiment on a production system..really does not matter if its Mac or PC environments either...

Cheers...
Carpe Pices

NoUFO

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:16 am

Quoting Bhill (Reply 2):
Antivir is a known NO NO..full of adware and other hidden goodies

Not that I knew of. The only ad you'll see is a promo for the commercial version if you use the free private version. This is something you can not get rid off; then again, the version is free and AntiVir updates its virus definition table daily, sometimes twice a day.

There was this issue that one spyware removal tool falsely considered a component of Antivir spyware.
I support the right to arm bears

MD11junkie

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Bhill (Reply 2):
Antivir is a known NO NO..full of adware and other hidden goodies..

redflag  AntiVir is a great product, I've used Ad-aware, Spybot and several other spyware checkers (AKA Webroot) and none of them detected anything.

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

dan2002

Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:21 am

Did you try hitting F8 at startup and go into safe mode or last known system configuration? Those boot options saved my ass many times. And I would get rid of Norton, its the scum of all anti anything programs. If you need a good antispyware program, check out Windows Defender.

Dan
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:16 am

No, I didn't try f8. Let's hope I'm never stoopid enough to try a stunt like I did again so I need to know about f8.

I think Norton is deliberately designed to be a pain in the ass and hard to get rid of. When my subscription runs out next month it's gone.

NWDC10

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:33 am

Uninstall Nortons, go to windows explorer and delete the Nortons file. Robert NWDC10

aloges

Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting NWDC10 (Reply 7):
Uninstall Nortons, go to windows explorer and delete the Nortons file.

Regedit anyone?  duck   Wink
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 8):
Regedit anyone?

When I took it out of the W98SE machine, I spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out and understand regedit and find what I was looking for in there.

Like I say-when the subscription on the desktop lapses Norton is finished.

Anyway. How could it be a Norton, without two cylinders and Amal carburetors?

jacobin777

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:12 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 9):

I was once a proud owner of a 1973 750 Commando with Dunstall Pipes..what a beauty she was.......but I'm glad I no longer ride motorcycles......

actually, I had a 1973 Yamaha RD-350 also.......two stroke.....flippin' lawnmower she was......I tried riding that once on the expressay (don't even know if its legal to ride a bike so small), them bloody cafe bars didn't help either....but it was certainly a wheelie monster. Smile
"Up the Irons!"

Dougloid
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 10):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 9):

I was once a proud owner of a 1973 750 Commando with Dunstall Pipes..what a beauty she was.......but I'm glad I no longer ride motorcycles......

actually, I had a 1973 Yamaha RD-350 also.......two stroke.....flippin' lawnmower she was......I tried riding that once on the expressay (don't even know if its legal to ride a bike so small), them bloody cafe bars didn't help either....but it was certainly a wheelie monster.

I rode from New Jersey to Nova Scotia one time and one of my companions did the trip on an RD350. I was riding my BSA Thunderbolt and thought I was shitting in tall cotton.

At present I have an 82 Kawasaki 750 twin with a real kickstarter. It's got about 5000 miles on it since new and every so often I take it out for a ride. It's a love hate relationship.

I think this year is the year to trick it out with headers and a few other items.