TheSonntag
Topic Author

Question For US A.Netters Regarding The US Flag

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:40 am

Patriotism is found in every country, and every country has a different way of showing it, of course.

What interests me is, why is the US patriotism focused so much on the flag? The flag is a national symbol everywhere, but with the possible exemption of Denmark I know no country where the flag is such an important sybol as it is in the USA.

Is there a special reason for the focus on the flag as THE national symbol? I know that the anthem and other symbols are important, as well, but I have the impression the flag is the most important symbol in the USA, and I wonder why this is so.

[Edited 2006-02-19 01:40:42]

N5176Y

RE: Question For US A.Netters Regarding The US Flag

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:46 am

It's a consistent symbol of the United States which, unlike most countries, hasn't changed in the last 300 years. (With the exception of adding stars for more states)

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:39 am

It is a symbol of something I gave a life defending and protecting . . . it is a symbol of hope, freedom, independence . . . a symbol of a powerful nation settled by a few and grown to millions. . . it is a symbol of all things American's hold dear and close . . . and when it's flown oversaeas it's a beacon for everyone . . . it's a sumbol of strength, of unity, of diversity, of uncomprising will . . .

It is a symbol that I hold dear . . . it's not merely a piece of colored cloth as some will say . . . it's not just rag . . .it identifies, almost instantly, to anyone, that the US is present and willing and able.

I dare say, other than thehome country flag of one's own nation, it is the most readily recognized national ensign on the planet . . .

It means a hell of a lot to me . . . as I've given what it represents, a hell of a lot . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Cadet57

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
It is a symbol of something I gave a life defending and protecting . . . it is a symbol of hope, freedom, independence . . . a symbol of a powerful nation settled by a few and grown to millions. . . it is a symbol of all things American's hold dear and close . . . and when it's flown oversaeas it's a beacon for everyone . . . it's a sumbol of strength, of unity, of diversity, of uncomprising will . . .

It is a symbol that I hold dear . . . it's not merely a piece of colored cloth as some will say . . . it's not just rag . . .it identifies, almost instantly, to anyone, that the US is present and willing and able.

I dare say, other than thehome country flag of one's own nation, it is the most readily recognized national ensign on the planet . . .

It means a hell of a lot to me . . . as I've given what it represents, a hell of a lot . . .

Well said ANC!

'nuff said.

Justin
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ltbewr

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:35 am

Because of the orgins of our country and our flag, it really has become a very beloved symbol yet it is very difficult to describe why we display such affection toward it. It is probably a matter of it being a symbol of our faith in our country. We were one of the first countries to become independent from a colonial power and from one of the most powerful at the time - the UK. The basic design goes back to our beginning as a country, and later defined in the early 1800's to todays form. The colors are from the UK flag, the stripes for the original 13 colonies/states, the stars for all of the states. We were also one of the first countries to define a separation of Church and state, without an official state religion.
I would note that there are laws as to the proper protocol of it's display and use although it isn't illegal (yet) to burn the flag as a form of protest (*although it may get you trashed by some other Americans). In some countries, burning a flag as a form of protest is illegal.
There are plenty of websites that with a search can give you the history and meaning of the USA flag and it's design.

LHMark

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:37 am

Probably because the flag didn't evolve as a national symbol, but was created in the heat of the struggle for independence. It gave it a special significance that stirs American hearts to this day. Our rulers changed on a regular basis, so the flag is the constant.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

halls120

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:42 am

I think Henry Ward Beecher said it best.

"Our Flag carries American ideas, American history and American feelings. Beginning with the Colonies, and coming down to our time, in its sacred heraldry, in its glorious insignia, it has gathered and stored chiefly this supreme idea: divine right of liberty in man. Every color means liberty; every thread means liberty; every form of star and beam or stripe of light means liberty - not lawlessness, but organized, institutional liberty - liberty through law, and laws for liberty!"
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Logan22L

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 am

The first true American flag was flown on Prospect Hill in the city of Somerville, MA on January 1, 1776. This marked the organization of the first militia.

Proud to live in Somerville, MA.
"The deeper you go, the higher you fly. The higher you fly, the deeper you go."

jetjack74

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 am

Couldn't agree more.
Made from jets!

dl021

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:20 pm

It's all been said here, but let me add a personal thought....

my flag is the symbol of the greatest democracy in history, which has endured trial and tribulation of the worst kind, and still stands for freedom and liberty...the very fact that one is free to burn it or deface it stands as proof that the freedoms for which it stands are stronger here than anywhere else...

In my opinion the flag is a great uniting symbol that allows us to focus our feelings about our country and it's values and mores on one identifying object.....and to tread on the flag is to tread on that for which it stands.

Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

satx

RE: Question For US A.Netters Regarding The US Fla

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:35 pm

It can also be a symbol of blind patriotism, in a 'love or leave it' kind of way.

I wonder if any other country loves itself as much as we do.

Shouldn't it be God BLESSED America? I mean, we're already at the top of the food chain and we somehow deserve even more blessing on top of that?
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

jetjack74

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:46 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 10):
It can also be a symbol of blind patriotism, in a 'love or leave it' kind of way.

It's more of a request, Translation: "descrate yourself if you feel the need to burn our national ensign".

Quoting SATX (Reply 10):
I wonder if any other country loves itself as much as we do.

It's not about "loving" ourselves, it's about respecting the gifts given to us by the forefathers of this great nation, a legacy of which you seem to take for granted.
Made from jets!

hawaiian717

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:51 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 4):
I would note that there are laws as to the proper protocol of it's display and use although it isn't illegal (yet) to burn the flag as a form of protest (*although it may get you trashed by some other Americans).

In fact, the preferred method of destruction of an American flag that is no longer suitable for display is by burning:

Quote:
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a
fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way,
preferably by burning.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...bname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+4USC8

We're Nuts

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:56 pm

It is a symbol of something I gave a life defending and protecting

You're dead?

Quoting SATX (Reply 10):
Shouldn't it be God BLESSED America?

I think the commonly accepted phrase is now "God bless America, and only America".
Dear moderators: No.

satx

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:58 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 11):
It's not about "loving" ourselves, it's about respecting the gifts given to us by the forefathers of this great nation, a legacy of which you seem to take for granted.

Better than taking this for granted...

pbottenb

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:03 pm

For me it started in first grade when we all said the Pledge of Allegiance together "I pledge of allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America....."

Also, While I think that in my lifetime the US has been pretty patriotic, the attacks 9/11 and all that followed really brought out ALOT of flags on cars, homes, you name it...

It really pisses me off when I see people burning our flag. Many are the same ones who are so upset over the cartoons recently.....these aholes dont mind trampling something that is sacred to us, but when it is something that they care about then all bets are off...

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 13):
You're dead?

Not yet brother - better luck next time!

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

HAWK21M

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:22 pm

Its the same out here.Although it'll take time to reach those heights as the Ban of public display except twice a year by citizens has just been lifted.
Check out the Stadiums & Vehicles in India.The Indian Flag is around too.
The National Flag installs a sense of pride.Amazing.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Derico

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:24 pm

As long as is a uniting force for good, who cares who holds what in high value. People who desecrate other people's symbols and the like are just losers.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

sprout5199

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:32 pm

To me its more than cloth, it represents our country in a way thats hard to define, It shows how we changed over the years(adding stars) but we dont forget how we became a country(the stripes). who knows how many stars will be on it in 100 years but there will always be 13 stripes.

When I see the flag being burned here at home I see it as freedom of speach being expressed(as they say, I may not agree with what you are saying but I will defend your right to say it), and when it is done elsewhere I know someone somewhere is scared of what it stands for, why else would they burn it.

Also its the BEST flag around.

just a little fact, The U.S. Navy never dips the ensign(flag) first when passing a naval ship from another country (dipping the ensign is a show of respect).Shows the power and might of the U.S. Navy.

Dan in Jupiter

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 18):
People who desecrate other people's symbols and the like are just losers.

I agree completely. First thing I've seen you say in two weeks that makes any sense.

I would consider it an serious affront to other countries to disrespect or desecrate their national flag, as much as I consider it an disrespectful for them to desecrate the US Flag.

Respect in this vein is round trip.

Derico

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:37 pm

There are many things you probably misunderstand about me, ANC, particularly considering I was 'quasi-flaming' quite radical positions in one particular thread you consistently harp back to, against me.

I have been here six years, and I'm not known for extremist views whatsoever. There was a reason I had to be so controversial recently, even if I actually don't advocate in reality or even believe in what I was saying.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

satx

RE: Question For US A.Netters Regarding The US Fla

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:51 pm

As long as [it] is a uniting force for good, who cares who holds what in high value.

I too was a big supporter until I realized that its influence can be used to rally the masses for both good and bad.

People who desecrate other people's symbols and the like are just losers.

Just as with people who hide behind such symbols.

Stick a flag on your vehicle. It's literally the least you can do.

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting Derico (Reply 21):
There are many things you probably misunderstand about me, ANC, particularly considering I was 'quasi-flaming' quite radical positions in one particular thread you consistently harp back to, against me.

I have been here six years, and I'm not known for extremist views whatsoever. There was a reason I had to be so controversial recently, even if I actually don't advocate in reality or even believe in what I was saying.

No worries . . . the conversation was worthwhile . . . you have your opinion, I have mine - hell we both might be all washed up . . .

Quoting SATX (Reply 22):
Stick a flag on your vehicle. It's literally the least you can do.

Is this your Sunday Go To Meeting truck . . . looks about right.

L-188

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:30 pm

What type of idiot owns a pickup truck and a Dennis Kucinich bumper sticker?

Seems to be a very confused soul.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 24):
What type of idiot owns a pickup truck

And it's a DODGE pickup no less . . . that should explain the bumper stickers and the bullshit on the tailgate.

seanp11

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 15):
It really pisses me off when I see people burning our flag.

I've burned a flag...............

The only respectful way to dispose of a flag that has reached the end of it's life (has become tattered) is to burn it. I'd guess the only difference between a protest burning and a respectful burning is that when you burn it respectfully, you lay it over a fire, while when protesters burn it, they light a corner.

The reason why the flag is so popular to burn by protesters is because it is an ready made effigy. I personally would rather see protesters, if they have to burn an effigy, burn one of somebody like bush. The flag is a symbol of the entire country. I might hate some of the people leading our country, but I do not hate america.

pacificjourney

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:55 pm

... are you dead ?

I've given what it represents, a hell of a lot

Being a bit dramatic aren't you ? There's that word 'give' again. I think you need to check the definition as you did get paid right ?
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:59 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 27):

... are you dead ?

Apparently you didn't read the entire thread, as you'd have seen this question already asked . . . . and answered . . .

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):
Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 13):
You're dead?

Not yet brother - better luck next time!

No worries though, I suspect you picked the primary target and fired at will - commendable, except you missed the target.

Being a bit dramatic aren't you ? There's that word 'give' again. I think you need to check the definition as you did get paid right ?

Not at all dramatic . . .you've no concept therefore I don't expect you to understand. Par for the course with you PJ . . .

Nuf Said.

Have a great day . . . . .

L-188

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:01 pm

[

Your Dodge needs a batch, Pacificflyer
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

sprout5199

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:09 pm

You will NEVER understand what he means.

reminds me of when I joined the Navy, alot of my friends asked why, all I could say was if you have to ask, you will never understand. Goes way beyond a paycheck.

Quoting N5176Y (Reply 1):

And ANCflyer,one vet to another, Thanks for a job WELL DONE

Dan in Jupiter

pacificjourney

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:15 pm

You guys GAVE nothing, you rented yourselves out and now want to be made saints for it. Get a real job and actually create something then I'll be impressed.

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 30):
alot of my friends asked why, all I could say was if you have to ask, you will never understand.

Yeah I know, the Piggly Wiggly wasn't hiring that week ....

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 31):
You guys GAVE nothing, you rented yourselves out and now want to be made saints for it. Get a real job and actually create something then I'll be impressed.

Here we go, same old nonsense, same old bullshit . . .

Don't you ever get tired of this???

You seem smarter, but then . . .well, every time you post, you cause anyone with sense to reject that opinion instantly?

No matter . . . it's fun fuckin' with you anyway.

Hey, here's a thought, there's a meet in LAS on 3/24. Come along for the ride. It'll be a hoot. You can watch me gamble some of your tax dollars into the shitter . . . and we can see if you can walk the walk for all the talk the talk you've been spouting.

Just a thought ya know . . . . the meets not restricted to anyone . . . that wouldn't be right. I'll buy the first beer or drink - with your tax dollars . . .
 laughing  rotfl  laughing  rotfl 

Again, have a great day . . .

pacificjourney

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 32):
see if you can walk the walk for all the talk the talk

Not really sure what it is you want me to do, repeat once more to your face that you talk a lot of shit ? Then what ?

LA is along way to come for me and I actually have responsibilities but stay tuned, you never know.

My name is on my profile for everyone to see unlike you and L-188. I stand by what I say with my name etc in public.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 32):
I'll buy the first beer or drink

I make it that far and you buy ALL the drinks.

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 33):
Not really sure what it is you want me to do, repeat once more to your face that you talk a lot of shit ? Then what ?

Then we go have a beer or a drink - on your tax $$4, thought I made that pretty clear.

LA is along way to come for me and I actually have responsibilities but stay tuned, you never know.

Excellent

I make it that far and you buy ALL the drinks.

Deal. First link up, Flamingo Hotel, O'Shea's, 3/24/06, 1900 hours . . . .

Las Vegas . . . not LA . . .by the by. . .

[Edited 2006-02-19 07:45:35]

AeroWesty

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:03 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Thread starter):
why is the US patriotism focused so much on the flag?

A lot of good answers here, but which other national anthem focusses so much on the flag other than ours? I think that has a lot to do with it. The anthem is even named "The Star-Spangled Banner".

Oh, say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
International Homo of Mystery

cairo

Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:39 pm

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 11):

Far and away most Americans have done nothing special except be born into a comfortable life and work for a living and support their family...just like everyone else in the world. Big pride in the flag is absolutely just another way to have great love for yourself and think about how good you are for being an American, when actuality you've done nothing special.

The people who fought in some of the wars over years definitely can take pride in the flag because they've actually contributed in a big way. But, most of us just like it because we just want to feel good about ourselves.

I believe in God and I believe this means there is nothing SPECIAL about being an American or having an American flag; we are all humans, not Americans.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
I would consider it an serious affront to other countries to disrespect or desecrate their national flag

But killing them and their children is no problem, just don't burn a flag.

Quoting SATX (Reply 22):
I too was a big supporter until I realized that its influence can be used to rally the masses for both good and bad.

Absolutely. It starts with creating fear - read Goering's talk about how to get the masses behind a flag and an unneeded war.

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 31):
You guys GAVE nothing,

I normally disagree with you, Pacificjourney, but here you are absolutely right. Unless you made a bigger sacrifice in your life for America than others in other countries make for their country, huge pride in the flag is misplaced and just another way to beat your chest and feel proud and strong - imagining the whole world is jealous and afraid.

Pride in the flag is fine. Excessive pride in yourself and a flag for doing nothing but getting up and going to work every day is misplaced.

Cairo

nosedive

Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:42 pm

5 seconds to lockdown! Ok, here's the long short of my opinion of why the flag is such a strong symbol here. It came at a time when we fuckin' needed a rallying symbol. We were a nation in which 1/3 supported a war, 1/3 opposed, and 1/3 were apathetic. We were a nation that didn't have any geographic, ethnic (hey it was around 1776), or even any real nationalistic symbols to rally around. So we started with a flag; granted the flag had a bunch of early shapes and forms, but the idea of the flag as a strong national symbol stuck. Not too bad of a choice, IMO. And I promise to change back from whatever small island I am currently  Wink

ManuCH
Crew

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:26 pm

I think the US Flag is so important for Americans because of how history and national pride is taught in primary school. I've had the privilege to sit for 2 days in a US high school class, and the fact that every morning you hear the US National Hymn and everyone stands up with the hands on their hearts is something I've never seen in Switzerland.

Also, I've noticed US kids were very aware of their history, as opposed to what happens here, where history is just "yet another school subject".

I think this is a great thing, and somehow I'm convinced that other countries could have better people if patriotism were integrated in basic school.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

gunsontheroof

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:33 pm

I consider myself a global citizen, and therefore, I won't salute the flag of any nation. That doesn't mean I'm going to go around burning them or that I look down on anyone who holds their nation's flag in a high regard, I just identify much more strongly with the fact that I'm a human being than the fact that I'm an American.

QANTASforever

Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:54 pm

I find the American flag to be quite appealing. It's a potent symbol - so the patriotism associated with it is understandable.

In Australia's case - I cannot abide the flag one bit. I think it's hideous. That said, people shouldn't confuse distaste for a flag with distaste for the country it seeks to represent.

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

highpeaklad

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:00 pm

Quoting Pbottenb (Reply 15):
For me it started in first grade when we all said the Pledge of Allegiance together "I pledge of allegiance, to the flag, of the United States of America....."

Does any other country have something similar? When I first saw that on the tv years ago I thought it must be from some communist country !

When I went to Sea World in Florida they played the national anthem before it opened and all the Americans turned to face the flag and put their hand on their heart. It was very strange to see.

It must be about 20 years since I heard the national anthem played here (ie live, not on the tv) and I think if it was played most people would just carry on with their business and ignore it.
I don't know if that's sad or if its just that our patriotism is more of a private thing.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

Doona

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:20 pm

There's nothing wrong with having a strong national symbol. As Nosedive mentioned in post 37, the flag was used to rally the people, and in a way, still does. And IMO, the Americans picked a pretty cool flag to rally under.

However, if someone (in the US or elsewhere) feels like burning the Star-Spangled Banner for whatever reason, doesn't everyone here agree, in the interests of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, that anyone has the right to do whatever he or she wants with the American flag, or any flag for that matter. The flag-burning amendment that's awaiting approval in the senate is a threat to democracy. What happened to the "Land of The Free"?

We should let people exercise some common sense.

BTW, I found this on Wikipedia, two exerts from The United States Flag Code:

"No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform"

The flag "should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper".

The ship has pretty much sailed on these rules, methinks...

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

gkirk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:23 pm

I think the US flag is the 3rd best in the world  Wink
After the Saltire and the Lion Rampant of course  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Doona

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):

That's a very spectacular flag, Kirkie. Are you sure you prefer sheep before men?  silly 

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

QANTASforever

Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:44 pm

I just like the quote that if we aren't to allow people to burn the flag, then why should we allow people to drape themselves in it?

QFF
Fighting for the glory of the Australian Republic.

TheSonntag
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:20 pm

Thank you all for your insights! I didn't expect so many replies.

In fact, there are a lot of similarities between the US flag and the Danish flag. I once saw on Danish television that the respectful way of destroying an old, worn out Danish flag is burning it... Maybe not before a Danish embassy, though...

Germany hasn't a comparable relationship, however also here the colours black, red and gold (it is yellow, but it shall be seen as gold...) have a long history, they stand for independance, unity and freedom, and did so for more than 100 years, so they differ from the black-white-red which the Prussian Reich was wearing...

gkirk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:22 pm

Quoting TheSonntag (Thread starter):
What interests me is, why is the US patriotism focused so much on the flag? The flag is a national symbol everywhere, but with the possible exemption of Denmark I know no country where the flag is such an important sybol as it is in the USA.

Here in Scotland, we are very patriotic about the Saltire and Lion Rampant.
Although I've never been to the US or Denmark, I would be surprised if they were more patriotic than us. Not that I am saying the Americans and Danes aren't patriotic, of course they are, but we Scots, IMO, are the most patriotic people in the world
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Gary2880

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting Cairo (Reply 36):
I believe in God and I believe this means there is nothing SPECIAL about being an American

i don't believe in god but i also believe that  laughing 

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 43):

see, i think there's something quite novel about the american flag, coming at the game so late you were able to make up the flag into something that represents the country. now, what the fairy cakes has a lion to do with scotland? we could have had a magnificent stag or something with dirty big antlers, that would have at least worked as a design. it would be cool if other flags could have a direct representation to the country rather than just a seemingly random jumble.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Gary2880

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 47):
are the most patriotic people in the world

dont be daft, you would like to think that but its hardly true

''scots will do anything for scotland, except live there'' why do you think we only have 5 million people?

scottish patriotism has nothing on how the americans go into it. (read the sig i dont think thats a bad thing) the bumper stickers, the flag poles everywhere - sticking from peoples houses! the everything else we dont have a pledge to the country or anything, what patrotic acts do we actually do?
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson