VirginFlyer
Topic Author

Flaming - The Result Of Misunderstanding?

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:49 pm

I came across this interesting article in the Sydney Morning Herald yesterday, which suggests that email flame wars (and I would suspect internet flame wars in general) are often the result of simple misunderstandings. Certainly given what I have seen happen here from time to time, I'd be inclined to agree.

Quote:
The senders of the messages expected their partners to correctly interpret their tone nearly 80 per cent of the time, but in fact they only scored just over 50 per cent, said the report in Wired.

Those attempting to interpret the message believed they had scored 90 per cent accuracy, according to the results which have been published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

"That's how flame wars get started. People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," Mr Epley told Wired.

The researchers said people often believed that the tone in their messages was obvious because they could hear it in their head as they wrote.

Full article: http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/...mark/2006/02/16/1140052207324.html

V/F
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

ArmitageShanks

RE: Flaming - The Result Of Misunderstanding?

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:59 pm

Or you could be like me and post on here only to make other users mad.

S12PPL

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:10 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 1):

You post so often, too. It's a wonder you never get banned...  Yeah sure Still an attention whore I see, Mitch. Tell me, do you still like to tell everyone how pathetic you think you are to gain sympathy?  yawn 
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

YeahitsK

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:14 pm

I've run into this in my work life as well. I have a formal style of writing emails, and people sometimes mistake that for me being mad or accusatory. Very interesting that the article suggests using emoticons to offset this. Use them wisely!  bigthumbsup 
Let's play some Pitch...

satx

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Along with another 25% of A.net.  Big grin

Anyway, this sort of simple "misunderstanding" mainly happens with email at my job, where everyone is just trying to do their duties, more or less, and may not know enough about you to know when you're joking or not. However, on a place like A.net, I think we all know where each other stand once we've been here for a while. It's probably pretty rare that the regulars confuse each other simply by misreading what they post.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

ANCFlyer

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting SATX (Reply 4):
However, on a place like A.net, I think we all know where each other stand once we've been here for a while. It's probably pretty rare that the regulars confuse each other simply by misreading what they post.

And effective use of emoticons - however annoying they may be to some people - will alleviate some problems also . . .

For instance,

I think SATX is a putz . . .  irked  butthead  biting  grumpy  hissyfit 

I think SATX is a putz . . .  wink  laughing  tongue  hyper 

In one line I'm being insulting and derogatory . . . in the other I'm kidding and being  mischievous  . . . the emoticons help to tell the difference.

Thanks SATX for allowing me to use you as a test subject.  wink  laughing  tongue  hyper 

For the record, I don't think he's a putz . . . we don't agree often, but he's not a putz . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ArmitageShanks

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 2):
You post so often, too. It's a wonder you never get banned... Still an attention whore I see, Mitch. Tell me, do you still like to tell everyone how pathetic you think you are to gain sympathy?

Yes, I do. Just the fact that you spend about 3 seconds remembering things makes me really happy.

Just as long as you spend a few seconds thinking about it, I'm happy. That's all I want.

L-188

Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:35 pm

Flaming is like sex....If you understand that it is meant for entertainment, rather then a simple act of savagery inflicted on another human being, then it is much more enjoyable for everybody involved.

[Edited 2006-02-19 06:36:04]
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

stuckinMAF

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:25 pm

There have only been a few times that I have been flamed on here when I didn't deserve it. That being said, "deserve" would mean that my viewpoint opposed or strongly opposed the discussion in progress or what I knew to expect out of the "typical" A.net user.

Sometimes, being flamed is a good thing. If you and the others you are conversing with are opposed on a viewpoint, I look at it as feedback that I am getting my point across and I need to clarify points or I need to tighten up my argument in my subsequent responses. I don't take it personally (although I know some of it might be meant that way) and I try not to make discussion items become personal (but they are sometimes taken that way).

And we frequently are on opposite sides of what we are discussing, but this time I am in partial agreement with Armitage ....

I'm VERY guilty of this one, but not to make people mad- to try to make them be sure of their viewpoint on a subject, to play "Devil's Advocate", in the interest of generating further discussion. In that respect, it often is a case of misunderstanding and "kindling temperature of my ass" is reached!

Just trying to follow ANC's advice!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

Pe@rson

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:28 pm

I believe that the potential for misinterpretation is rife in impersonal forms of communication, such as email, where you can't immediately clarify something or judge based on body language or whatever. I have experienced it first-hand.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ozvirginuk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 9):
I believe that the potential for misinterpretation is rife in impersonal forms of communication, such as email, where you can't immediately clarify something or judge based on body language or whatever. I have experienced it first-hand.

Pe@rson, are you referring to a recent "holiday" from A.net by any chance...  stirthepot 

Pe@rson

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:49 pm

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 10):
Pe@rson, are you referring to a recent "holiday" from A.net by any chance...

Nope, but I'll happily say that they totally misinterpreted anyway. I mean, I wasn't just moaning at another A.nutter - I had daggers for him.  Wow!  Wink
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

ozvirginuk

Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
Nope, but I'll happily say that they totally misinterpreted anyway. I mean, I wasn't just moaning at another A.nutter - I had daggers for him. Wow!

Maybe that didn't come across!!!

Sometimes it's really hard to get your point across, without apprearing liek you are lauching a personal attack on someone's opinions or beliefs. Then again, sometimes we are doing just that..