lehpron

Ever Special-order A Customized Product?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:22 am

One that is not on a company's catalog or that you may have wanted a better one?

If so, how much were you willing to pay over a stock product in their catalog?

I realize that companies are able to bring the costs per unit down by selling bulk orders, but what about one unique product, one with a siginifcant diifference?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Birdwatching

RE: Ever Special-order A Customized Product?

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:31 am

I once custom-ordered a scottish flag because there was none to be found on A.net

Signed, GKirk

All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

UAL747

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:36 am

When I was showing horses and growing at the same time, I usually ordered 2 riding suits custom made every 3 yrs before I outgrew them. They ran anywhere from $2500-$5000 per suit. Ordered from a tailor in Kentucky called Carl Myers. Now that I'm grown, (just trying to keep thin these days), I can wear the same suits, which means I usually spend more money on them since they have longer life.

Each suit consists of Kentucky Jodphur Pants with suede knee patches, 6 button vest, customm tie and shirt, and of course, the long riding coat. Bought our hats from another vendor and had them dyed to the color of the suits.

The suits were usually a wool/silk blend, and VERY heavy. Since show season is in the summer, they were like wearing a fitted sauna against your body.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AeroWesty

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am

My large suitcase has always been special-ordered. It's a Pullman with suiter hardware added. I've not done one in a few years, so I don't recall how much extra, but it was nominal.

I've also ordered linens custom-sized. Places like The Company Store will literally make anything you want from the materials they have--but they charge for the privilege. I also just bought some chop plates from Williams-Sonoma that haven't been in their catalog for about six months. When I called and gave them the stock number they said, "we've got a warehouse full of them, how many did you want?" LOL
International Homo of Mystery

Klaus

Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:40 am

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 1):
I once custom-ordered a scottish flag because there was none to be found on A.net

Looks remarkably like a bullseye, doesn't it...? 

[Edited 2006-02-24 02:42:50]

AsstChiefMark

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:09 am

I've ordered all three of these at $120,000.00 each.  Big grin

Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail