oly720man

Man Rapes Stepdaughter As She's Dying

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:28 pm

This is truly awful

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4743354.stm

A man who raped his unconscious teenage stepdaughter as she lay dying from a head injury has been jailed for nine years at the High Court in Glasgow.

McKee admitted raping Kerry Muchan, 14, in her Paisley home on 23 July, 2005 while she was unconscious.

Kerry died soon after the rape from a head injury caused by a fall.

Lord Philip said: "Any sentence I impose has to reflect the revulsion and horror society feels at this kind of behaviour."

Kerry was drunk and had fallen several times before she was raped.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

GulfStreamGirl

RE: Man Rapes Stepdaughter As She's Dying

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:34 pm

"Any sentence I impose has to reflect the revulsion and horror society feels at this kind of behaviour."

And all the a$$hole got was 9 YEARS?, wtf , that's unimaginable, may that animal get murdered in jail for his crime, maybe then justice will have prevailed, though I still don't believe that is good enough.

GulfStreamGirl

777ER
Crew

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:41 pm

Raped her while she was slowing dieing, maybe already a painful death, how low could he go. Hope she didn't endure any more pain while what he was doing to her. Maybe someone also in jail will give him a piece of his mind for doing what he did to her

May she rest in peace

aireuropeuk733

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:46 pm

WTF!!!!!!! Sick, sick, sick!

9 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The judge is having a laugh, right??!! 90 years isn't enough!

I'm not usually a violent person, but maybe this man should have an 'accident' whilst serving his time and come out in a wooden box after a slow and lingering death.

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

lehpron

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:47 pm

I hope she was not aware of anything, may she rest in peace.  Sad
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 1):
"Any sentence I impose has to reflect the revulsion and horror society feels at this kind of behaviour."

And all the a$$hole got was 9 YEARS?, wtf , that's unimaginable, may that animal get murdered in jail for his crime, maybe then justice will have prevailed, though I still don't believe that is good enough.

Although horrifc and understandbly and undoubtedly sure to result in an emotional earthquake (like your reaction - and you are involved in the case), it is essential to recognise the emotional impact and to then put it aside in order to decide upon the facts rather than be blinded by the emotion. If emotion is not considered and thence put aside, further consideration thereof will result in an irrational sentence which is both unfair and unreasonable. Thus, emotion should be considered and thence put aside, in order to consider the facts and base a sentence thereon rather than being blinded by the emotion.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AGC525

Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:49 pm

I hope the folks he's in jail with hear of his crime and return the favor. At least thats the way it works for child molestors and rapists in US prisons.
American Aviation: From Kitty Hawk to the Moon in 66 years!

JoKeR

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:01 pm

Sick bastard!

Killing him would be too polite.

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 6):
I hope the folks he's in jail with hear of his crime and return the favor. At least thats the way it works for child molestors and rapists in US prisons.

Indeed!
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:04 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 5):
If emotion is not considered and thence put aside, further consideration thereof will result in an irrational sentence which is both unfair and unreasonable.

Telling:

may that animal get murdered in jail for his crime

Quoting 777ER (Reply 2):
Maybe someone also in jail will give him a piece of his mind for doing what he did to her

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 3):
maybe this man should have an 'accident' whilst serving his time

Quoting AGC525 (Reply 6):
I hope the folks he's in jail with hear of his crime and return the favor.

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 7):
Sick bastard!

Killing him would be too polite.

Your replies, while understandable, are only a step before his horrific conduct.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JoKeR

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:09 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 8):
Your replies, while understandable, are only a step before his horrific conduct.

True, but what do you expect for such a monster? An exotic Bahaman holiday?
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

9VSPO

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:13 pm

It's a shame he didn't do it in Thailand or one of the Arab countries - he would have got a lot more than 9 years.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:15 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 9):
True, but what do you expect for such a monster? An exotic Bahaman holiday?

Now you're being absurd. As I said, very eloquently:

it is essential to recognise the emotional impact and to then put it aside in order to decide upon the facts rather than be blinded by the emotion. If emotion is not considered and thence put aside, further consideration thereof will result in an irrational sentence which is both unfair and unreasonable.

[Edited 2006-02-24 11:16:30]

JoKeR

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 11):
Now you're being absurd. As I said, very eloquently:

Mate all I'm saying is; do good and expect good. Do bad and you get what you deserve. For every action there is an equivalent reaction, right?
Kafa, čaj, šraf?

oly720man

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:20 pm

Sad to say, but you can only be sentenced against the law as it stands, not the lynch mob.

There is no better reflection of this than another recent case where someone who only had a provisional licence and no insurance, stole a car and ran over and killed a 3 year old girl. He got 12 weeks (yes, weeks) in prison, because there is no law for killing someone by dangerous driving over here. All his sentence was based on his driving offences, not his killing the girl.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/me..._at_sentence_for_death_driver.html

All of which makes me think that if you want someone killed in the UK, don't use a gun, just run them over. You probably won't even get locked up for it, if you're insured and stop to report it.

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:21 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Reply 12):
Mate all I'm saying is; do good and expect good. Do bad and you get what you deserve. For every action there is an equivalent reaction, right?

I disagree. The "reaction" is as important as the crime and thus requires absolute consideration - based on the facts, with the emotion considered but then put aside to avoid emotional blindness - rather than an irrational decision which is both unjust and unreasonable. Anyway, nice day here today.

fumanchewd

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:31 pm

He didn't kill her. May Christ be with you in your compassion.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

flyingbabydoc

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:41 pm

She was 14 and so drunk that repeatedly fell and hit her head. Not an excuse to be raped, but certainly there is an indication of bad parenting IMO.

I am against death penalty, but it is difficult for me not to wish that his fate in prison will be the same as his stepdaughter's... Violence against children is intolerable. And one of the few things that make me forget any "compassion".

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

EGGD

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:46 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 2):
maybe already a painful death, how low could he go. Hope she didn't endure any more pain while what he was doing to her.

Not at all, she was unconcious from the blow to the head and the mix of alcohol and drugs she had consume. I'd imagine it's one of the most painless ways to go! In no way am I condoning his actions but she was definitely not in pain. My question is how come a 14 year old girl, around her stepfather managed to get her hands on drugs and alcohol and consume enough to make her fall over repeatedly? If she was in that sort of state she must have taken a lot.

nighthawk

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:56 pm

i hope he gets raped every day in prison. that will teach him.

GulfStreamGirl

Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:57 pm

"My question is how come a 14 year old girl, around her stepfather managed to get her hands on drugs and alcohol and consume enough to make her fall over repeatedly?"

Maybe the fact she had been raised by a stepfather who would rape her.

"He didn't kill her. May Christ be with you in your compassion."

Yeah he just raped her, a 14 year old girl, there are a handful of countries where if you're convicted of rape, you Will get the death penalty, I guess my compassion is more with the victim in this case, not the perpetrator.

GulfStreamGirl

Toulouse

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:21 pm

Pearson, while I can see your attempt to approach this rationally, under such irrational, horrific, animalistic circumstances, a rational approach is no use. 9 years jail sentence, I hope those 9 years will be filled and that he suffers pure hell there from his inmates every single night and day. Secondly, I find "only" nine years as being nearly just as criminal as the crime this "thing" (sorry, can't bring myself to refer to him as a 'person'). The judge is a total laugh! Thirdly, while I don't usually defend the death sentence, in these cases, and if we are 100% sure it was him, well maybe it's not such a bad idea. If not, what other punishment can be inflicted on this criminal. Is rehabilitation of a person who inflicts such a horrible crime on a youngster really possible?

Quoting Flyingbabydoc (Reply 16):
I am against death penalty, but it is difficult for me not to wish that his fate in prison will be the same as his stepdaughter's... Violence against children is intolerable. And one of the few things that make me forget any "compassion".

Flyingbabydoc, I am totally behind you in your feelings.

May she rest in peace.
Long live Aer Lingus!

ZakHH

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:22 pm

This thread is a brilliant illustration on why civilized countries decided to leave such judgements to judges instead of letting the mob decide. Even though some citizens suddenly seem to find the latter kind of countries surprisingly appealing when it comes to such cases.

The crime was disgusting, to say the least. And 9 years sound like a very mild sentence, indeed. But I do not know any details that may have influenced the judge in his decision, so all I can do is to suspect that there were good reasons for him to judge the man like he did.

After all, 9 years is a long time, and he can certainly not expect anything that will resemble an exotic Bahaman holiday in there.

And even if the sentence was too weak for my own moral standards: it is still by far the lesser evil to see such a man getting spared from a couple of additional years he may have deserved, compared to the lynch law that many here (as well as in countless pubs tonight, I am sure) would obviously prefer.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

aireuropeuk733

Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:46 pm

Violence against children is intolerable. And one of the few things that make me forget any "compassion".

Couldn't have put it better myself

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

RobertNL070

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:09 pm

that animal

Quoting Toulouse (Reply 20):
animalistic

I beg to differ: animals would never commit such heinous crimes. Unfortunately mankind does on a regular basis!

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 21):

checkmark  checkmark 

Regards, Robert
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

RichardPrice

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:24 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 24):
I beg to differ: animals would never commit such heinous crimes. Unfortunately mankind does on a regular basis!

Rape and murder happens all the time in the animal kingdom, we really arent that different.

airbusA346

Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:47 pm

This is just sick sick and wrong.

He should get a lot more than 9 years.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

767Lover

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:22 pm

Bull-crap.

whitehatter

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:25 pm

He's in for a very tough 9 years.

Prisons are no happy camp for rapists, especially not those who rape children. This guy has hell coming.

He'll end up in Broadmoor indefinitely.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 28):
Bull-crap.

Nonsense: most of the replies hitherto have shown a complete disregard for the feelings or life or anything else of the offender, like he showed very little regard for the feelings or life or anything else of the victim. The crime for which he was found guilty was horrific and intolerable – and so he was rightly sentenced – and the replies hitherto are horrific and intolerable. I fail to see how the replies herein are any better than his conduct, when they are effectively inciting and hoping for violence.

halls120

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:30 pm

If emotion is not considered and thence put aside, further consideration thereof will result in an irrational sentence which is both unfair and unreasonable. Thus, emotion should be considered and thence put aside, in order to consider the facts and base a sentence thereon rather than being blinded by the emotion.

I'm being completely rational in asking this rational question, I believe. WHat possible justification was there for the judge in this case to award such an inappropriately weak sentence?

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 14):
I disagree. The "reaction" is as important as the crime and thus requires absolute consideration - based on the facts, with the emotion considered but then put aside to avoid emotional blindness - rather than an irrational decision which is both unjust and unreasonable. Anyway, nice day here today.

So in your opinion, is 9 years an appropriate sentence?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

prosa

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Not only was the rape bad enough in its own right, but another factor to consider is that the man performed it instead of summoning the medical help that might have saved the girl's life.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

flyingbabydoc

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting PROSA (Reply 32):
but another factor to consider is that the man performed it instead of summoning the medical help that might have saved the girl's life.

Excellent point. I haven't thought about this, but it makes his negligence as a "father" even worse (not even discussing his crime).

I do fell sorry for the mother, I can only imagine the living hell she will face from now on - I imagine the real father will wreak havoc in her life.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

Pe@rson

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 31):
WHat possible justification was there for the judge in this case to award such an inappropriately weak sentence?

Have you read or heard all the facts? No. Thus, are you able to dictate what it or what is not a proper sentence? No.

So in your opinion, is 9 years an appropriate sentence?

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 22):
If you research sentencing for rape offences in England and Wales (I am not sure about Scotland, but it's bound to be rather similar), you'll find that 9 years is not bad at all - even if it does seem rather low.

whitehatter

Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm being completely rational in asking this rational question, I believe. WHat possible justification was there for the judge in this case to award such an inappropriately weak sentence?

the tarriff system.

The appeal court can revisit the sentence if the CPS decide it is too lenient. However emotion has to be taken out of the sentencing and a judge can only pass sentence based on the facts of the case. Many rape cases get a four to six year sentence so this is actually at the higher end of the scale, but not anywhere near the maximum which could be life.

If he is also a first offender this weighs on the tarriff as well.

Quoting PROSA (Reply 32):
Not only was the rape bad enough in its own right, but another factor to consider is that the man performed it instead of summoning the medical help that might have saved the girl's life.

not in law, both issues would have to be taken as being separate to a degree. The crime of rape would not have degrees of severity which could be applied in strict legal terms because of the circumstances.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

tbar220

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:22 am

Dude, do you just go around the internet looking for stories of the most horrific crimes imaginable? You're gonna give yourself ulcers dude.
NO URLS in signature

ANCFlyer

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:31 am

She was 14 and so drunk that repeatedly fell and hit her head. Not an excuse to be raped, but certainly there is an indication of bad parenting IMO.

My thoughts exactly . . .

Drunk, 14 years old, fell and hit her head?

Damn sure a parenting problem - as evidenced by the ultimate raping of the girl, rather than perhaps a 911 call for help?

Nine years for the rape? Not enough.

Where's the charge for failing to assist her, call medical attention, possible contributing to the delinquency (wanna bet the booze was in her parents house)?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

oly720man

Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting Tbar220 (Reply 36):
Dude, do you just go around the internet looking for stories of the most horrific crimes imaginable? You're gonna give yourself ulcers dude.

No need to look, they've been all over the tv and radio the past couple of days.

halls120

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 34):
WHat possible justification was there for the judge in this case to award such an inappropriately weak sentence?

Have you read or heard all the facts? No. Thus, are you able to dictate what it or what is not a proper sentence? No.

I'm not "dictating" anything. I was simply asking a logical question. Since the sentencing judge said "Any sentence I impose has to reflect the revulsion and horror society feels at this kind of behaviour," I'm very curious as to what mitigating factors must have been present to have offset the "revulsion and horror" the judge felt.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 35):

the tarriff system.

The appeal court can revisit the sentence if the CPS decide it is too lenient. However emotion has to be taken out of the sentencing and a judge can only pass sentence based on the facts of the case. Many rape cases get a four to six year sentence so this is actually at the higher end of the scale, but not anywhere near the maximum which could be life.

If he is also a first offender this weighs on the tarriff as well.

Thank you for aanswering my question.

What is the maximum sentence for rape in the UK?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Pe@rson

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 39):
What is the maximum sentence for rape in the UK?

Re-read what Whitehatter said - the answer's there. Or I'll put it:

Rape carries a maximum of life imprisonment in England and Wales (I'm not sure about Scotland, because that's a different legal system). S.18 of the OAPA Act (GBH with intent) also has a maximum of life, as does murder (in fact, murder currently has the unfair mandatory life sentence).

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 39):
I'm very curious as to what mitigating factors must have been present to have offset the "revulsion and horror" the judge felt.

I answered it nicely: 9 years for rape is rather long in comparison to what offenders ordinarily receive. It takes into consideration what the judge says, and it is, according to him, a just and reasonable sentence in relation to the crime. Whether you or I disagree with it is irrelevant: he decided it best based on the facts of the case, other considerations (such as mitigating circumstances) and the various other aims of sentencing (bar mere retribution).

Perhaps you should re-read my answers.

prosa

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 40):
9 years for rape is rather long in comparison to what offenders ordinarily receive.

Except for the fact that the circumstances of this particular rape call for a much longer sentence than usual. Even overlooking the fact that the defendant's actions may have delayed the summoning of medical help, with fatal results, the fact remains that the victim was underage, in a parent-child relationship with the defendant, and physically helpless.

I'll bet that most of the rapes which result in sentences under 9 years are date-rape situations involving "he-said, she-said" testimony.

Pe@rson

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 41):
Except for the fact that the circumstances of this particular rape call for a much longer sentence than usual.

That's why it's almost double the average.  sarcastic  Do you people ever read?

prosa

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 42):
Quoting PROSA (Reply 41):
Except for the fact that the circumstances of this particular rape call for a much longer sentence than usual.

That's why it's almost double the average. Do you people ever read?

Even if the average rape sentence is only four to six years this case merits something much longer than nine years given the factors I outlined in Reply 41. We see that the legislators consider rape a serious enough offense to merit a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. Based on the facts given in the news story - which I fully admit may not be the complete story - I would say that the appropriate term of imprisonment in this case is closer to the life maximum than to the 4- to 6-year average.

Nancy

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:35 am

Having read the article it also seems like criminally negligent homicide at least. His actions reveal him to be an immense threat to civilized society. The crime itself shows that he can never be trusted around people. Other crimes, you can learn you lesson and move on, like stealing a car. Most people want a car, the impulse is understandable. Most people don't want to rape anyone at all, less a relative, even less so a dying relative. If it is within you to rape your dying stepdaughter, there is no fixing that. If there is a second when your grievously injured relative is bleeding on the floor and you look at her and think "Hey should I call 911 or rape her?" just off yourself. He should never be allowed another chance to hurt someone.

BMIFlyer

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:49 am

Damn what a sick bastard  Angry

**Joins the line to give him some  box  &  taekwondo 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Pe@rson

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting PROSA (Reply 43):
Based on the facts given in the news story - which I fully admit may not be the complete story -

You'd have to be clinically insane to believe that anywhere near the full facts were disclosed.

Quoting PROSA (Reply 43):
I would say that the appropriate term of imprisonment in this case is closer to the life maximum than to the 4- to 6-year average.

Is that based on your extensive knowledge of criminal law and criminal justice in English law?

ltbewr

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:54 am

I am quite sure in all USA states a conviction upon similar chagres (rape of a minor) would get you FAR more than 9 years. Many of here in the USA are often appalled at what we see are the lenient sentences given to criminals in Europe vs. our standards. While many hope this jerk gets 'rough justice' while in prision, that too is also immoral and means someone else has to commit a crime too.
Don't forget too that even after 9 years when he gets out, he will probably will find it near impossible to get a job or be around other people and will be on a sex offenders list for the rest of his life. In effect he has a 'life' sentence that none of us would ever want.

Pe@rson

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:54 am

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 45):
**Joins the line to give him some

A nice, sensible and rational decision.  sarcastic 

Pe@rson

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 47):
Don't forget too that even after 9 years when he gets out, he will probably will find it near impossible to get a job or be around other people and will be on a sex offenders list for the rest of his life. In effect he has a 'life' sentence that none of us would ever want.

Yes. GENERALLY speaking, you serve roughly half of the sentence.

I totally agree about it effectively being a life sentence. Your life would be dramatically altered, so unless you took major steps - like changing your ID or moving far away or both - you won't manage to get away from it. Even then, you probably won't fully escape it - even long after you have served your sentence.

BMIFlyer

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 48):
A nice, sensible and rational decision.

So what would you do??
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

yowza

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting GulfStreamGirl (Reply 19):
"My question is how come a 14 year old girl, around her stepfather managed to get her hands on drugs and alcohol and consume enough to make her fall over repeatedly?"

if you're ever in Glasgow make the short visit out to Paisley and you'll understand. Not exaclty the best side of town.

YOWza