9VSPO
Topic Author

Who Will Win American Idol?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:37 pm

Lisa Tucker maybe?

I liked Becky even though her singing wasn't very good.

A340Spotter

RE: Who Will Win American Idol?

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:40 pm

One wonders if Beckys Maxim photo shoot with her twin sister helped her early exit this past week. She was okay as a singer, but not in the league of the upper few girls. She wasnt going to win.

For the girls, I figured Heather Cox and Brenna would go out this week, but was surprised to see both survive. Was looking good when both were on the final cut spot, but surprised by the end result. I thought Stevie was okay and had some range being an opera singer, but in the end, she was eliminated too.

Think that you will see the final 2 girls be Mandisa and Katherine. I thought at first that Lisa would win it all, however after listening to her song this week the second time through, there were some off key moments, though very short. I think Paris will do well as she has a Fantasia like voice and Kelli will do okay to start but her nerves may end up befalling her in the end.

Guy wise...picked Bobby and David as my two to eliminate, 1 out of 2 right as Bobbys song choice of Copacabana just didnt work out, but he went out with his head held high with a great speech. Think that David got lucky as his rendition of Crazy Little Thing Called Love was horrible. He has very little range. Patrick, eliminated, chose a terrible song. Hard to sing a ladies song like Come to my Window as a guy if you ask me.

Not quite sure how this is going to play out. I thought Ace was the one to beat, but there are a few that showed me something this week. Chris was really good with his Wanted: Dead or Alive rendition, really woke me up. Elliot was phenomenal with his Stevie Wonder tune and Taylor, the cross between Michael McDonald and George Clooney, sang Levon with conviction. Think the guys will be down between those 4 as Kevin, David and Will, the three youngest competitors, wont be able to keep pace due to range. Bucky is probably the other one in trouble early on as he will have to prove he is more than southern rock. Bo did last year but I dont see Bucky coming through.

I have said way too much!
JSD
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:00 pm

I think Bucky will go next week.

A340Spotter

Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:13 pm

One thing that Bucky has going for him...he lives in the south. If he performs okay, he will get votes as there are a lot of people that watch and vote that live in the southeast, hence why Greensboro was a preliminary tryout locale.

David, or Sway, if there is anything to the rumor of him being under a contract before the show started, would be my guess on the guys. Girl wise, I could see Ayla going on talent, or Kinnik and Melissa going because of lack of exposure. As Melissa mentioned, it was her first time even on camera this season last week. She delivered well too.

JSD

IAH777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:50 pm

Oh, Jeffrey! There went all my respect for you!  no 

yooyoo

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:33 pm

It's gonna be a girl this time around. The guys are all ugly and therefore don't have the look.

All the girls are very pretty save one.  Wink

That Lisa Tuckers is good. i think she looks a lot like Ray Dawn Chong (sp?) you know who i mean.

Ayla Brown i though was very good.

i'd also like to add i usually don't watch this show but i ihad some day surgery and was hopped up on some medication that made the show watchable  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:50 pm

Spot the difference!

Kinnik Sky from American Idol

Lola from A Shark's Tale

MidnightMike

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:40 pm

Lots of good talen on American Idol this year, in no special order, here are some of the people that I like

Mandisa of American Idol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W64dQM_4y8I&search=american%20idol

Paris Bennet of American Idol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vk1NJfzPuA&search=american%20idol%20

Kelly Pickler is in the top 10 as well, she has a very nice personality.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0MQgVtTImc&search=american%20idol

This year, even the guys have people that can sing...

Chris Daughtry - Wanted Dead Or Alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQcdTZxz9ZI&search=american%20idol%20

Taylor Hicks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j-gTZuG7zA&search=american%20idol

[Edited 2006-02-25 15:59:12]

[Edited 2006-02-25 16:04:52]
NO URLS in signature

A340Spotter

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting IAH777 (Reply 4):
Oh, Jeffrey! There went all my respect for you!

Come on, Mack! Since when did I have it in the first place?!  Smile
(ps-Noelle turned on the channel, I swear, I swear!)

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Paris squeaky voice just makes me laugh. Big grin But she is good yeah.  Wink

boeingfanyyz

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:36 am

I think Derell and Terell will come back to American Idol and complain to thne judges. At the same time, they will both say "Our spirirt's have been broken!"  wink 

Just my $0.02 (CDN)

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

YeahitsK

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 7):

Excellent picks, although I would put Katherine Mcphee in the place of Kelly Pickler. Chris Daughtry's voice would sound great singing the type of music I listen to so I would say he is my favorite so far. His voice has that "growl" to it that sounds so great singing a rock song. Thanks for the links by the way, those are the performances my wife and I wanted to see again.

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 10):
I think Derell and Terell will come back to American Idol and complain to thne judges. At the same time, they will both say "Our spirirt's have been broken!"

Good lord I hope you are wrong! Freakin' drama queens. And I hope Brenna gets shown the door next show, I don't know how much more I can take.
Let's play some Pitch...

MidnightMike

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting YeahitsK (Reply 11):
Excellent picks, although I would put Katherine Mcphee in the place of Kelly Pickler. Chris Daughtry's voice would sound great singing the type of music I listen to so I would say he is my favorite so far. His voice has that "growl" to it that sounds so great singing a rock song. Thanks for the links by the way, those are the performances my wife and I wanted to see again.

In terms of singing talent, I agree with you, the thing that I most enjoy about Kelly Pickler is her personality.

Taylor Hicks is another singer that I am taking a shining toooo.....
NO URLS in signature

YeahitsK

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 12):
Taylor Hicks is another singer that I am taking a shining toooo.....

Can't blame you one bit. I didn't understand what was so great about him until his latest performance. The harmonica stunt was brilliant as well, hard to not like the guy after that.
Let's play some Pitch...

BMIFlyer

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:24 am

Becky please Big grin  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

IAH777

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:36 am

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 8):
(ps-Noelle turned on the channel, I swear, I swear!)

Bet she's responsible for your addiction to Skating With Celebrities, too!  laughing 

ABfemme

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:54 am

Its on in the UK at the moment, the girls so far are way ahead !! The blokes are on now - what a shower !!

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 2):
I think Bucky will go next week

YUP - awful!!

My bet is on Lisa Tucker
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 16):
The blokes are on now - what a shower

Yep, I don't rate any of the guys much at all, not a patch on last year. They even make Clay Aitken look good!  boggled 

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:57 am

Have yet to see the guys perform tonight as I am recording it to watch later, but after watching the girls last night, my thinking has changed a bit. I think the guys will come out on top, though in reality, it will be 6 guys, 6 girls in the final 12.
Bet for tomorrow night: Out will be Brenna and Heather. Had Heather done the Mariah Carey song a bit better, it would be different as looks do take you so far in this show. Think Lisa better change her style of music up just a bit or she wont make the final. Liked Mandisa and Melissa this week, in fact Melissa may be a sleeper as she gains fans. I really like her voice.
Brenna, she should never have made the final 12, but her ability to mouth off to Simon probably put her in...for ratings of course!

Jeffrey and Noelle
(no, I didnt watch Skating with Celebrities...Amazing Race, though!)

jaysit

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:30 pm

Go, MANDISA !!!

After I heard her rendition of Heart's "Never," I had to downoad the song from itunes, and I have to admit that Mandisa's version rocked !

As for the guys, they all suck, but David is a cutie. That Ace guy looks like he's constipated whenever he's trying to show emotion. And Taylor Hicks looks and acts like some guy you'd see waving a flag with fellow AARP-ites at a GOP convention.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

jfkaua

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 1):
Think the guys will be down between those 4 as Kevin,

kevin goes to my school haha

aer lingus

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:40 am

The most interesting winner of American Idol. I think was the biggest joke ever. If anyone could remember about 2 years ago. A guy called William Hung who can't sing won the American Idol.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

Newark777

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:45 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 21):
A guy called William Hung who can't sing won the American Idol.

No he didn't, he was famous because he was so bad and was kicked out in the auditions.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

YeahitsK

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 21):
The most interesting winner of American Idol. I think was the biggest joke ever. If anyone could remember about 2 years ago. A guy called William Hung who can't sing won the American Idol.

I think everyone that watches the show remembers William Hung and "she bangs", but he didn't win American Idol. He didn't even make it to the Hollywood round, but oddly enough he put an album out.
Let's play some Pitch...

aer lingus

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 22):

Someone told me that he won American Idol for some reason. I am not really sure was he joking or something because I am in DUB. Very far away from the US.
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

Newark777

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Aer Lingus (Reply 24):
Someone told me that he won American Idol for some reason. I am not really sure was he joking or something because I am in DUB. Very far away from the US.

Yeah, for how dumb I think American Idol is, the winners always have pretty decent voices.

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

A340Spotter

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:45 am

Okay, watched the guys sing this morning...a guy will win this competition this go around. The rough edges stood out big time last night...
So, gone, I feel this week, will be David (sorry, that's all your going to bring is crooning, nope, didn't work for John Stephens last year either) and I think Sway (something tells me he's set up to leave as he's been in the possibly dropped category due to previous band issue--whether he was actually signed which is a no-no). If not Sway, it will be Will. This week or next.
I was totally impressed this week by Gideon and Chris. Great singing actually throughout the show for once.

Flying tonight, will see how my predictions come through when I'm back Sunday night.

JSD

ozvirginuk

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
Who Will Win American Idol?

To be honest.... who really cares. There are only 2 people that I can think of that have gone on to any sort of career after Pop Idol, X factor etc....

The original POP Idol - Will Young (love him) and The first American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson. All the rest were nobodys and continued to be nobodys. End of.

When is this craze going to end...

Oz

YeahitsK

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Quoting Ozvirginuk (Reply 27):

Carrie Underwood's songs and album are doing really well on the Billboard country charts. Seems like her career is off to a flying start.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/retri...tId=657654&model.vnuAlbumId=746447
Let's play some Pitch...

A332

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:34 pm

Chris Daughtry... no question... he will win hands down.
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

A340Spotter

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:44 pm

Okay, back in town and checked the results...4 for 4 this week in guessing who left the show. Not bad, though this may mean it's time for a visit to the psychiatrist to check my mental status.

JSD Out!

ABfemme

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:36 am

Still sticking with Lisa Tucker  bigthumbsup 
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

A340Spotter

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:39 am

Lisa needs to sing some songs that are more in line with today's stars, instead of relying on the older ones. While she has the voice, she now needs to connect with the current generation. She'll be in the final 12 though.

I think it's make or break week for:
Bucky and Will on the guys side. Think the other 6 are pretty safe to the final 12.

Girls side, the final 8 left are pretty much even, in that they could rise above or sink below really quick. I think Kinnik may be the one that's less known than others, same with Melissa though she has really done well the first 2 weeks and may be developing a following.

JSD

A340Spotter

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Alright, watched the girls tonight...there is a definite sense of who belongs now and who doesn't. May as well skip to the final 6 as there are only 3 that have a chance I think.
In order of how I think they did tonight:
1. Mandisa. WOW!
2. Katherine. She's good, bit of a hottie, but her ass seems a bit mishapen!
3. Kelly. She's a trip, naivity at it's best!

And then the rest:
4. Lisa. See my last post, ditch the adult contemporary or gone in a few wks
5. Ayla. She's too tall for the songs she's singing (best way to describe it)
6. Paris. She could easily fall into the next category

Going home:
7. Kinnik. A good run for her, may sneak by Paris, but I doubt it
8. Melissa. I actually liked the Heart song, but she's outclassed

The guys tomorrow. Again, Will and Bucky on the hot seat.

JSD
(I need to stick to photographing airplanes...)

A340Spotter

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:38 am

So I watched the guys sing last night, most were good, but if I were to rank them based on last night:

1. Taylor (based on energy, voice, but not the dancing!)
2. Ace (pretty cool and risky song)
3. Elliott (sailing along)
4. Chris (ditto Elliott)
5. Gedeon (ditto Chris)

6. Kevin (teetering on the going home, but should get through)

Going home:

7. Bucky (not the year for country on the show)
8. Will (turn out the lights, see you at IAH tomorrow)

And for those that cared, thanks for reading.

777DadandJr

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:52 am

I see Mandisa and Chris dueling for the top spot.

I see Kevin and Will going home tonight.

Kinnik should be sweating tonight. Not sure if she's gonna make it through tonight.

Up in the air about which other girl will go tonight. Too hard of a choice there.

Russ
My glass is neither 1/2 empty nor 1/2 full, rather, the glass itself is twice as big as it should be.

yowza

Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:39 am

Can't remember her name, but the hot blond country girl should win for sure  Smile

YOWza

A340Spotter

Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:12 pm

YOWza,

Kelly is the blonde girl from North Carolina. After her performance this week, Simon called her a naughty little mynx. She replied, I am a mink! to which Simon busted out laughing like never before! Have to admit, she is as naive as it comes, and that will help her get to the finals, or as close to it as possible.

Not having seen the results yet tonight (will watch in about an hour), I stand by my predictions of Will/Bucky and Kinnik/Melissa.

Finals, Mandisa v Chris or even Mandisa v Kelly if it works out that way (like Ruben v Clay in season 2) would be fine with me.

JSD

YeahitsK

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:17 pm

Here's some info on Chris Daughtry's pre-idol band, Absent Element. You can sample some of their music also. Definitely a heavy sound, but I like it. You can hear some flashes of brilliance in his singing. He's my favorite to win Idol, but he sounds really good singing this kind of music. I'm having a hard time picturing him belting out some Stevie Wonder next week, but wouldn't put it past him to do well!

http://www.garageband.com/artist/absentelement
Let's play some Pitch...

A340Spotter

Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:19 pm

And well, I was shocked. Not by Ayla leaving, she did look a bit awkward out there visually, but by Gedeon's dismissal. I really liked his singing and there may never be another more positive guy to come along (though Taylor's close!). Wow. Bucky really should count his lucky stars.

Good luck to the next 12.
Time for me to check into an addict's clinic.
JSD

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:57 am

I can't believe Kevin made the final twelve!!!!

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 39):
Gedeon's dismissal. I really liked his singing

Me too! I was shocked.

[Edited 2006-03-11 00:00:56]

A340Spotter

Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:44 pm

Kevin, for his age, has a nice range, but probably will be one of the next 4 to go over the next month. With Seacrest announcing that Stevie Wonder would be the feautured artist sung next week, the Gedeon dismissal really must sting. He would have been a favorite for that genre.

So who sings I Just Called to Say, I Love You? Male or Female?

mikedlayer

Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:24 pm

I think Mandisa will win, she seems the typical person to win this kind of reality tv show (ie - Simon insults her at the audition, also she has a good voice).

I'd like to see Kellie Pickler or Chris Daughtry win though.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:10 am

Stevie Wonder songs here tonight! The first few contestants were pretty bad.
I think the last two will be the young 16 year old girl and the bald guy.

AerospaceFan

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:25 pm

From what I've read of some of the cr@ppy-@ss singers they have on the program before they get to the good ones, why don't they just bring back The Gong Show and be done with it?

[Edited 2006-03-18 06:26:30]
What's fair is fair.

str8fromthe808

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:04 pm

Quoting Mikedlayer (Reply 42):
I think Mandisa will win, she seems the typical person to win this kind of reality tv show (ie - Simon insults her at the audition, also she has a good voice).

eh...she sounds like she's shouting her songs...and her head voice doesn't have control...

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 26):
Sway (something tells me he's set up to leave as he's been in the possibly dropped category due to previous band issue--

Jose Penala was one of the leads in former Bay Area group, "Drop N Harmony". If you're familiar with Asian American groups this one was a pretty big one, kinda like Kai, Innerlude, Pinay etc. They had some pretty good songs...

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 37):
Kelly is the blonde girl from North Carolina

Do you think she's really as dense as she seems or playing a dumb Jessica Simpson type act?? I mean, c'mon.

I really like Lisa Tucker's tone, sucks for her though that she's a boring performer compared to Paris, Taylor etc. Katherine McPhee IMO is the most talented...but again a boring performer, but i guess that didn't hurt Carrie Underwood.

Chris Daughtry and Elliot Yamin (sp?) are good
it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness...chinese proverb

A340Spotter

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:06 pm

Quoting Str8fromthe808 (Reply 45):
Do you think she's really as dense as she seems or playing a dumb Jessica Simpson type act?? I mean, c'mon.

I really like Lisa Tucker's tone, sucks for her though that she's a boring performer compared to Paris, Taylor etc. Katherine McPhee IMO is the most talented...but again a boring performer, but i guess that didn't hurt Carrie Underwood.

Chris Daughtry and Elliot Yamin (sp?) are good

808, I actually think Kelly is as naive as she appears. This girl has lived a pretty sheltered (or maybe battered?) life and knowing a bit about the area she is from convinces me that she is what she is. The naughty little mynx comment that turned into I am a mink was brilliant. She had a rough week this past week and I no longer think she will go past top 6, maybe.

Lisa has a nice voice, but if it were up to my wife, she would have gone this week. She thought she sang horribly compared to Melissa who was eliminated. Lisa has to get some energy in her voice and her stage presence or else she will go out earlier than expected.
While I applaud America for voting off someone who forgot the lyrics (couldnt do that with John Stephens 2 weeks in a row last year!), I thought Melissa did okay to survive. I had the bottom 3 this week as Kevin, Melissa and Kelly but only one was in that bunch.

My current rankings:
1. Chris
2. Katherine (had a weird dream about/with her this week, nice!)
3. Mandisa
4. Taylor
5. Paris
6. Eliott
7. Ace
8. Lisa
9. Kelly
10. Bucky
11. Kevin

What I would love to see: Songs of Oasis! With Liam and Noel commenting alongside Simon. Oh the ratings would be excellent!

(My name is Jeffrey and I am an Idolholic)

9VSPO
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:42 pm

Chris last night was head and shoulders above all of them. I will be surprised if he doesn't win.

It's time a guy won....and I don't mean Taylor (Turrets) Hicks!  Wink

A340Spotter

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 am

Short version as the one I typed up a bit ago has disappeared like Melissa...

Watched the show this morning, think that Bucky is in trouble, though he sung okay last night. In fact, most everyone had a nice performance, maybe one of the better shows I've seen.

In order of their rank:
1. Katherine (Took the lead with the sultry look, voice)
2. Mandisa (solid)
3. Chris (best of the guys)
4. Eliott (second best, doesn't look the idol part, but can sing)
5. Paris (Lisa looks out of her league against her)
6. Taylor (no worries)
7. Ace (should be okay this week, falsetto saved him at the end)
8. Kelly (improved big time, but country is her act)
9. Kevin (youth vote keeps him going)
10. Lisa (nice youthful look this week, but discombobulated performance)
11. Bucky (never seemed to raise his voice singing this week)

Rumor I heard around here from a friend is that Chris was offered the lead singer position with Fuel after his song of theirs a few weeks back, but the producers of American Idol won't let him go...yet.

Jeffrey

str8fromthe808

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting A340Spotter (Reply 48):
Rumor I heard around here from a friend is that Chris was offered the lead singer position with Fuel after his song of theirs a few weeks back, but the producers of American Idol won't let him go...yet.

heard that too...

i have to admit, last night i felt bad for lisa, her performance was kinda too kiddy i think for idol this year...

i was impressed by ace young's originality, i think he needs to show this off as he doesn't have the strongest or most technical voice...

katherine mcphee was great

oh, and i guess pickler is just that dense. her, 'look at the pickle,' comment solidified that for me. sweet girl though and a good performer. happy watching
it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness...chinese proverb