rootsair

What To Do In Somalia And Mogadishu?

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 am

There are many threads about "What to do in.."

Thus I'd like to know if there are any touristic things one may do in Somalia and its capital Mogadishu !

thanks in advance

Regards

BM
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

yowza

RE: What To Do In Somalia And Mogadishu?

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:54 am

haha you must be joking. Last time I was there was for work, despite my protests and I satyed buried inside my hotel and we went EVERYWHERE in convoys. Not a holiday spot.

YOWza

aloges

Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:58 am

Hmmm... I think I recall hearing running is quite popular down there, such as marathons on the airport-hotel route. Definitely a sports destination. Big grin
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Sabena332

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting RootsAir (Thread starter):

Taking a cab to the airport and leaving is a pretty good idea.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

jetjack74

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:31 am

Hide!!!!!!!
Made from jets!

RJ100

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:33 am

Damn RootsAir, I knew that Yverdon is a crappy place (spent my military time there Big grin - but still no reason to leave for Mogadischu  Wink

Regards,
RJ100  Wink
none

BDKLEZ

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 am

When you hear a bang   

[Edited 2006-02-25 23:51:15]
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

rootsair

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 5):
Damn RootsAir, I knew that Yverdon is a crappy place (spent my military time there Big grin - but still no reason to leave for Mogadischu Wink

Regards,
RJ100 Wink

iwas jsut in Yverdon for a month ..i live in Nyon....

This thing I read on the internet said there would be sharks if you bathed off the coast in mogadishu...but already being in Somalia meant fear would not be the major obstacle when thinking about swimming in the sea
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

aviationmaster

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 am

Survive

texan

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:49 am

When you see people in uniform running, don't ask any questions, just drop your crap and run faster than the slowest group of them.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

theCoz

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:51 am

touristic things one may do in Somalia and its capital Mogadishu

Buy a large beach towel resembling an American flag. Strip naked, wrap yourself in the towel and streak around the city.

jafa39

Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:54 am

According to the Somalian refugees I work with you have two choices:

Die.

Die slowly.

Their words not mine!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

RobertNL070

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:14 am

Be sure to pack a good bullet-proof vest before you go and bone up on survival skills.

Regards, Robert  bouncy 
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

Kerberos

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:19 am

I hear shooting down Blackhawks is a popular activity, I would advise against that however, unless you'd like to have your vacation extended - all expenses paid - at the always charming and quaint Guantanamo Bay Club Dead.
This is your captain speaking. I’ve turned off the no-smokin’ sign. Hell, if the plane is smokin' why can't you?

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting TheCoz (Reply 10):
Buy a large beach towel resembling an American flag. Strip naked, wrap yourself in the towel and streak around the city.

Now that is funny!!!!!!

I'm sure hundreds of people could tell you of the delights of somalia, but until we find them, I'd give the place a wide berth.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

EMBQA

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:22 am

Thus I'd like to know if there are any touristic things one may do in Somalia and its capital Mogadishu !

There is a good turist informational movie out called 'Blackhawk Down'. Watch it and it might give you a good idea of some things to see and do.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

rootsair

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 am

sw733

Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:54 am

Asking what to do in Somalia and in Mogadishu are two different things. While Mogadishu is, of course, unstable, unsafe, and down right idiotic to visit, there are actually parts of Somalia which are fairly safe and nice. Head up the coast and there are some small towns that are completely different from the stereotypical Somalia image we have. Up north in Somaliland, which isn't an official independent country but may be some day, things are a little better, but not fantastic by any means.

In short, I would tell someone to stay away from Somalia, but that it isn't necesarilly a death sentence to go there, especially outside of Mogadishu and the immediate area.

Gary2880

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am

i watched a short tourist information DVD the other while about that particular resort. popular activity's include, being shot at, having your convoy attacked, having an RPG shot into your side, all before you have collected your suitcase!

for the more adventurous one can take part in the ''sports package'' which involves your lift home being shot down, running around alot, ducking, hiding behind things, sliding down a rope from a helicopter and generally avoiding being blown up

and then we come to the night life. you can enjoy the sights and sounds of your very own littlebird coming in and performing a beautiful strafeing run on a group of willing participants who at the same time are trying to shoot your bollocks off.

at the end of your vacation as you run for your life screaming towards the UN stadium safe zone be sure to pick up one of our many burning tyres, as a memento of your visit. thank you for chosing Mogadishu.

may i suggest a new travel agent though

''lets see.. sun... sand.... surf... hmm not this year. genocidal war zone!! thats the one!''
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

Derico

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:14 am

Well, of course, SW733, it's just that here at A.net it is a popular sport to bash any country that is free of Avian Flu, Mad Cow Disease, racial street riots that include car burnings, silly royals, and high school shootings.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

EMBQA

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 16):
cool i just found pics of somalia

Yea, pictures taken 25 years ago. The countries civil unrest started in the late 1980's and the was thrown into a civil war. Trust me, it looks NOTHING like that now.

The 'Mog' today.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...4/africa_mogadishu_life/html/1.stm

[Edited 2006-02-26 01:31:26]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

aloges

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:34 am

Quoting SW733 (Reply 17):
Asking what to do in Somalia and in Mogadishu are two different things.

I don't think this thread was meant to be taken seriously, but thanks for the info... since you seem to know what you're talking about, is Somaliland better off than say Eritrea?

Quoting Derico (Reply 19):
Well, of course, SW733, it's just that here at A.net it is a popular sport to bash any country that is free of Avian Flu, Mad Cow Disease, racial street riots that include car burnings, silly royals, and high school shootings.

Derico

Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:47 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):

Yes, Aloges, if I was German I would be putridly embarrassed about those results, lest not forget you guys are hosting and fixing the tournament up... and still no one gives you guys a praying chance.

Tho I congratulate you on your photoshop skills, I was almost thinking of pretending to be fooled!

Brazil... 200,000,000
Germany... 90,000,000
England.... 70,000,000
Italy... 70,000,000
Argentina... 30,000,000

... When Germany* can claim to have won Gold Medals in the two most popular sports on the planet in the SAME Olympics and be the current champions in both olympic categories, has a league team that wins 4 continental tournaments in 5 years, the Intercontinental Cup, and when Germany is in the top 10 in Football (4), Rugby (8), Basketball (3), Volleyball (6), girl's field hockey (2), in-line hockey (1), polo (1), and has three players in the ATP top 10... then let's discuss what country pn this planet is better in sports, with a relatively small population to boot.

*Germany or Brazil? Oh, both.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

aloges

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:01 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 23):
Yes, Aloges, if I was German I would be putridly embarrassed about those results

I wouldn't doubt that one second - however, I am German and am not embarrassed... just amused, seems like a lot of Brazilians had fun bombing an Argentinian newspaper's poll.  Silly

and still no one gives you guys a praying chance.

Including myself - but being there is just as great, but I assume I should not expect sportsmanship in this particular case?

When Germany* [...] to boot.

crackup  When did this become a thread about sports achievements? But while we're at it, Germany is "winning" this year's winter olympics by receiving more gold and silver medals than any other country... I think I don't need to tell you about Michael Schumacher. Brazil has won the football world cup five times, Germany three times and Argentina two times. Do you really think you need to put your foot in your month any deeper?

I have a lot of respect for any athlete who makes it to a world cup or the olympics, no matter where she or he is from. Maybe you want to read up on sportsmanship vs. jingoism.

eclipseflight7

Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:05 am

In Somalia we have several fun and exciting activites. Try:

Shopping, with guns
Swimming, with guns
Sleeping, with guns
Eating, with guns
Killing, with guns
Dancing, with guns
Shitting, with guns
Sailing, with pirates, with guns
Sharks, with guns
and mountain skiing.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 22):
Is Somaliland better off than say Eritrea?

Considering the constant tensions between Ethiopia and Eritrea, Somaliland is much better off than Eritrea. While it is no means the safest place to visit, and in fact aid workers have been kidnapped, it has relative political stability and maintains an orderly society structured around a central government.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

prosa

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:09 pm

The Somalis have figured out what to do - the Dirty Deed. Somalia has the world's sixth highest birth rate:

http://www.aneki.com/birth.html
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

DLKAPA

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:25 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 21):
is Somaliland better off than say Eritrea?

Sure why not.
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

sw733

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:44 pm

Quoting Aloges (Reply 21):
I don't think this thread was meant to be taken seriously, but thanks for the info... since you seem to know what you're talking about, is Somaliland better off than say Eritrea?

Oh I know it was supposed to be taken as a joke, I'm not a COMPLETE idiot  Wink, but I just kinda felt like throwing a serious thread into it

Eritrea vs. Somaliland is difficult...I'd probably say go Eritrea

DLKAPA

Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:23 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 27):

GO ERITREA! E-RI-TREA! E-RI-TREA!
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

rootsair

Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting SW733 (Reply 27):

I don't think Eritrea is all that bad !

sw733

Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:54 am

Nah Eritrea isn't that bad...I've never been there, but from what I've heard, it's a nice place, with some fantastic wreck diving off the coast of it and Djibouti. I HAVE been to Ethiopia, and loved it.

aloges

Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting EclipseFlight7 (Reply 24):
Shopping, with guns
Swimming, with guns
Sleeping, with guns
Eating, with guns
Killing, with guns
Dancing, with guns
Shitting, with guns
Sailing, with pirates, with guns
Sharks, with guns
and mountain skiing.

I know it's weird, but this sounds like Charlton Heston rapping.

yowza

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:49 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 7):
This thing I read on the internet said there would be sharks if you bathed off the coast in mogadishu.

This is true, the water are infested with sharks even veru close to the shore. You can thanks the Italians and their colonial wisdom for this. They removed the reefs so that ships could come closer to the coast. As a result sharks come very close to the shore and are known to be pretty ferocious.

YOWza