alberchico

Please Pray For Our Beloved President Bush....

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:37 am

http://www.presidentialprayerteam.or...e/PageServer?pagename=ppt_homepage

just found this funny religious website that encourages people to pray for leaders and our troops in harms way. Anybody thinking about doing it ???
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Tom in NO

RE: Please Pray For Our Beloved President Bush....

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:44 am

Doesn't look very funny to me.....looks like they're pretty serious about it. In fact, in the Lutheran church we attend, GWB, other leaders, and the troops overseas were included in one of the prayers yesterday.

So the basic answer to your question is yes.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

airtran737

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:53 am

It is a very common thing for churches to pray for the political leaders as well a our men and women in the military.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

UAL747

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:57 am

Yup, very common. I remember when I was little the pastor praying for Ronald Reagan and churches especially pray for our troops.

I'm not one to put a yellow magnet ribbon on my car, but praying for them is nothing new or bad.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

mbmbos

Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:55 am

Yes, members of my coven get together and, er....focus our thoughts on the president. We try to gather up any presidential hair and fingernail clippings too.

redngold

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 am

1 Timothy 2:1-2 (NIV)
I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone - for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20tim%202;&version=31;

It doesn't matter whether you agree with the President or not. We're still supposed to pray for our leaders. Prayer doesn't have to mean you support the President's policies; you could be praying that he does something else. I try to make my prayers more neutral - asking for God to give him the wisdom it seems our current President so desperately needs.

[Edited 2006-02-28 00:04:44]
Up, up and away!

yowza

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:04 am

No need to pray for Georgie, he has the secret service and big Karl to look after him. On top of all that I'm pretty sure Cheney's put his gun away for a little while.
 Wink

YOWza

nkops

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 6):
On top of all that I'm pretty sure Cheney's put his gun away for a little while.

Bummer... we should let him keep it and send him to Afghanistan!!
:evil:

BN747

Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting Nkops (Reply 7):
Quoting YOWza (Reply 6):On top of all that I'm pretty sure Cheney's put his gun away for a little while.
Bummer... we should let him keep it and send him to Afghanistan!!

Along with the Bush Twins... okay, maybe not the pretty one.

BN47
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

luv2fly

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 5):
I try to make my prayers more neutral - asking for God to give him the wisdom it seems our current President so desperately needs.

I am not even sure God can deliver that one!
You can cut the irony with a knife

stlgph

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:17 am

Quoting Alberchico (Thread starter):
Anybody thinking about doing it ???

Hell no.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 6):
No need to pray for Georgie, he has the secret service and big Karl to look after him. On top of all that I'm pretty sure Cheney's put his gun away for a little while.

There is already and assembled Presidental Prayer Squad consisting of Pastor Deacon Fred, Rev. Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Harry Hardwick, Rev. Bob Jones Jr., and of course, Je$u$ himself.

For more information about the Presidential Prayer squad, please visit
http://www.whitehouse.org/dof/prayer.asp

It doesn't matter whether you agree with the President or not. We're still supposed to pray for our leaders.

Says who?

if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

copaair737

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:48 am

I don't think we are obligated to pray for our leaders? Who made up that gem? I agree with StlGph. That's totally ridiculous. I don't pray for anyone or anything, and I'm sure as hell not going to pray for the prez.
Redngold- Why should we pray for our leaders? That really seems totally bizarre to me...almost totalitarian.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

redngold

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting Copaair737 (Reply 11):
Why should we pray for our leaders?

(From 1 Timothy 2:1-2) that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.

It's not about domination and totalitarianism.
Up, up and away!

copaair737

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:59 am

Still, I don't want to get into a pissing match, but still, what's the point? Saying that we "should pray for our leaders" just seems like a very, very alien concept to me. Something about it doesn't seem right. Honestly, I find religion very corrupted, but that is me. Maybe it just seems totally corrupt to pray for some guy who many of us will have little or no contact with.

-Copa

stlgph

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting Redngold (Reply 12):
It's not about domination and totalitarianism.

But if we're supposed to pray for our Kings and our rulers and it's not two fold, then it very much is about domination and totalitarianism.

Especially if you scroll down the rest of that passage you quoted where it reads this...

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20tim%202;&version=31;

11A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. 13For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15But women[a] will be saved[b] through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

copaair737

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:26 pm

Good find STL. I guess when quoting a source, one should look at the whole thing rather than selectively just piecing parts together for their own personal vendetta. Again, I find the whole concept of praying for leaders as a totalitarian move that is reminiscent of the Middle Ages or Iran.

-Copa

copaair737

Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:37 pm

The funny part about Red flipping out is that STL got the quotes from the exact same source as Red. Again, I guess you shouldn't have linked that site if you didn't want to include everything on there. Nothing wrong w/ the reply by STL, but Red flipping out is just hilarious.

-Copa

KSYR

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:31 pm

What is wrong with praying for our leaders? Is there anything wrong with praying that they will make the right decisions?

As long as no one is forced to pray (which is pretty impossible if you ask me), I don't see a thing wrong with it.

yowza

Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting BN747 (Reply 8):
maybe not the pretty one.

Jenna's the rough one right?

YOWza

SFOMEX

Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:42 pm

No one is forced to pray for our leaders. Yet, most religious people agree that the person in charge of our country really needs of God's guidance... just as all of us need it!

Of course, if you believe neither in God nor in the power of prayer, praying for the president wouldn't make sense at all. Thankfully, as long as it remains optional, I don't see the problem.

BTW. Thanks for the link! It seems quite Protestant-oriented, but I'll browser it and I may join the team.  Smile
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

Superfly

Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:55 pm

Unfortunately that site is serious.
Considering all the sins Bush & Co. has committed and people he has killed, there aren’t enough prayers to say to save him.
Him and likeminded scumbags such as Ariel Sharon and Osama Bin Laden will spend eternity in a very hot place.
Bring back the Concorde

airbusA346

Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:10 pm

Why is Bush included in prays?  Confused  Confused

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

BN747

Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:17 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 19):
Quoting BN747 (Reply 8):maybe not the pretty one.
Jenna's the rough one right?

You got it! Brrrrrrrr......

Quoting STLGph (Reply 16):
asking for God to give him the wisdom it seems our current President so desperately needs.

If if god did...(and that's if there was a god).. but if he did, after he was done.. he'd have NONE to give anyone else--future leaders included!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 24):
Fortunately, it is serious, because right now this nation and its leaders need a lot of help, regardless of whether you agree with their policies!

YES!!! They do! But...

1) God doesn't help political leaders, he/she knows they lie. And what makes you think he side up with US?

2) If he/she's anything like Jesus... he'd be hanging about in Haiti, Rwanda, Peru and Papua New Guinea!

Yes, they do need... but it won't be coming from above or whereever it comes from.

Pray all you want.. and watch what happens...nada!

BN747
Heathen/Non-Believer

redngold

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 26):
God doesn't help political leaders, he/she knows they lie.

Do you know better than God? God has helped liars in the past... King David being the greatest of them by his own acknowledgement.

And what makes you think he side up with US?

I never said that he would "take sides." In fact, I have a real problem with the flag-waving "God Bless America" contingent. Every single person on this earth needs God's blessings and those blessings include peace and safety. The U.S. does not have a monopoly on spiritual blessings.

If he/she's anything like Jesus... he'd be hanging about in Haiti, Rwanda, Peru and Papua New Guinea!

Again, do you know better than God? But I have to agree in the sense that I'd prefer the U.S. focus on humanitarian missions rather than "preemptive action" in the form of military warfare.
Here's a thought: Perhaps if more people prayed for our leaders, the U.S. would be helping in the places you mentioned, and the ones you didn't, such as Darfur.

P.S.: I just realized that some people here would think that I would call him "Beloved President Bush" simply because I pray for him. I don't love him, I don't support his policies and I never voted for him. Take away all of that political nonsense. I pray for him because he is faced with critical decisions that will affect not only my life, but the lives of people all over this nation and the earth.

[Edited 2006-03-03 01:46:21]
Up, up and away!

copaair737

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:24 pm

I'd have to agree with my buddy BN, God would be in some impoverished place like Bolivia or Haiti or Africa if he/she/it were around. This is nonsense though. Our secular government is being infiltrated from these religious nutjobs who push their views in everything. Like today, I attend a Public Community College, and they are hosting this symposium on why "Creationism is superior to Evolution" WTF is that about. This isn't the theocracy of the United States, it is a democracy, although things are really leaning toward the theocracy side these days.
Who says we need to pray to some being that there is no proof that exists to try and guide our leaders? Some of you state we all need a guidance from a higher power, but I don't, and I get along just fine. It is my opinion that religion is a crutch for weak willed people. As I stated earlier, asking that we pray for our leaders is very Authoritarian. Ridiculous.

-Copa
Heathen/Non-Believer

[Edited 2006-03-03 07:26:21]

PA110

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:06 pm

I try to make my prayers more neutral - asking for God to give him the wisdom it seems our current President so desperately needs.

Thank you Red',
You've just made my day!  bigthumbsup 
It's been swell, but the swelling has gone down.

BN747

Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:11 pm

if more people prayed for our leaders, the U.S. would be helping in the places you mentioned, and the ones you didn't, such as Darfur.

You can't be serious... but I get the feeling you are. Do you think for a New York second that poor impoverished people WORLDWIDE have NOT been praying for an END to thier abject existance? They've been doing since Moses was invented -er- scripted. And what has happened to their ranks since... what was once a few million is now nearing 4-5 Billion! Trends of the past 2000 years, the rich have gotten richer. So if praying for an end to a miserable existance for 2000 years hasn't changed a thing what's that say for the next 100 or 2000 years... a ton of Naivety and an increased numbers of those mired in miserable existence.. that's what.

I don't love him, I don't support his policies and I never voted for him. Take away all of that political nonsense. I pray for him because he is faced with critical decisions that will affect not only my life, but the lives of people all over this nation and the earth.

And I think what you don't understand is that the ranks like GWB (claimed) blue-blood elitism sees a huge chasm between them and the everyday man. Just look at how he's handled this Katrina thing. Let's compare shall we? Jimmy Carter was notorious as a man of faith... now compare him to GWB. Which actually lives a life that reflects exactly that? Even when he was in office, if Carter was prez during Katrina, the toll of distruction would have had him setting up a 2nd White House in the area. Bush has forgotten all about the very people the bible speaks to, those in the most pain (in his own country anyway). Bush is only now reminded of the Katrina misery because he's been caught in a lie... but if his convictions to 'his so-called faith' were genuine... he'd be seriously 'knee deep' in seeing that people in need are being cared for. But he isn't, why? Because he really doesn't care... and just like most of his ilk, this problem just won't go away quick enough--his very attitude about all this is true to the actions he's taken to-date... hands off. Though I'm not of the religious ranks, I do know people who are and they are having a very hard time believing this man is anything like them. They see him as someone who's very clever at playing the 'religious crowd' as bunch of suckers--and believe you me, that is not a difficult thing to do.

BN747