7LBAC111
Topic Author

Whitehatter? Where Are You?

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Seems we have lost yet another member. Whitehatter.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

aireuropeuk733

RE: Whitehatter? Where Are You?

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm

What is it at the moment - are people giving up A.net for lent (or have there been some major bust ups I've missed out on?)

I'm still here 7L!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

cornish

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:02 pm

Sadly Whitehatter has indeed left.

Had enough of the crap that this place is filling up with- can't blame him to be honest.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:05 pm

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 1):
I'm still here 7L!

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
I'm still here 7L!

Pleae - you two. Don't go!!!

7L

aireuropeuk733

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:08 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 3):
Pleae - you two. Don't go!!!

What's it worth?  

Cornish is right though - the Civ-Av is full of idiots (present company excepted), and whereas the Non-Av used to be light-hearted and fun, it sometimes has an undercurrent of bitching and tension.

AE733

Edited - Typo

[Edited 2006-02-28 12:18:27]

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:12 pm

It's a real shame. Hopefully he'll still come to the meet??

As for CivAv. It is getting crappy. But I still try to post in there, but have really missed the likes of yourselves responding to my threads. We can make CivAv better you know. (not us three, I mean the intelligent membership. (And Pe@rson)

7L

mhodgson

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Whitehatter has a thread on a certain parody forum annoouncing his departure.

I'm still here, you lucky people.

And agree with everything about Civil Av. There are some news threads which are interesting, but very little actual discussion.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

cornish

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:31 pm

I have to admit while i posted frequently in Civ. av in the past, my postings there these days are few and far between. Even with the likes of Orion gone, there are still enough no-it-alls who've not even come close to wrking in the industry who know best - that i can accept - what i can't accept is the complete refusal to engage in intelligent debate and listen to reasoned argument.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - anyone who has a deep and loud hatred of a particular airliner family just because it is a rival to their favourite airliners is no aviation enthusiast and should really have no place here. But the place is getting taken over by people who have a "sports team" approach to their likes and dislikes and frankly it's getting very tiresome.

If it wasn't for the some of the funnier threads in Non.av and some good people still here (but there numbers are thinning) and the occasional good thread in Civ. Av. I'd be a very infrequent visitor on here too
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

aireuropeuk733

Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 7):
If it wasn't for the some of the funnier threads in Non.av and some good people still here (but there numbers are thinning) and the occasional good thread in Civ. Av. I'd be a very infrequent visitor on here too

Couldn't have put it better myself - my participation in Civ Av is pretty much non-existant. Whilst I am no aviation expert like certain other people on the forums (Cornish, 7L, Slamclick etc) and I do not work in the industry I like to think that I have some factually based information to share based upon my interest and age.

I have learned so much from this site, it would be a shame if other new members couldn't find it equally as useful.

AE733

ozvirginuk

Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting AirEuropeUK733 (Reply 1):
I'm still here 7L!

Me too 7L, just been away for a couple of days. Back online now..

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 5):
As for CivAv. It is getting crappy. But I still try to post in there, but have really missed the likes of yourselves responding to my threads. We can make CivAv better you know. (not us three, I mean the intelligent membership. (And Pe@rson)

I agree with this. There are too many Orion's, and that makes it pretty dull. trying to reason with the arguments of a 12yr old from the middle of nowhere isn't that entertaining.

Oz

ndebelebev

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:28 pm

Tis a shame all these people are leaving. Although Whitehatter had one of the best signatures I've ever seen on here.

Good luck to him anyhow.

Bev x x
Her Pose Is That Of Someone... Who Knows It All And Is In Total Control Of Her World... Little Does She Know...

texan

Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:33 pm

I'll miss Whitehatter's comments. A really decent person with a sound mind. Come back!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

AerospaceFan

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):

Not another one!

Sad
What's fair is fair.

Gofly

Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:34 am

The sad thing is, is that A.net is just not worth the time anymore.

Any remotely sensible discussion in Civ-Av is quickly ruined by some A vs B or other ridiculous comment. I suppose the best thing would be if nobody responded to the idiots post, however that would be unreasonable to ask. And I personally, probably wouldn't be able to hold back.

With Whitehatter leaving, we lose another knowledgeable member. I hope the trend doesn't continue.
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting Gofly (Reply 13):
The sad thing is, is that A.net is just not worth the time anymore.

Indeed. A qucik scan of CivAv now shows numerous topics which have been discussed before, pointless "Future destination/fleet..." threads, and other A vs B crap.

Very sad indeed.

egmcman

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 14):
Indeed. A qucik scan of CivAv now shows numerous topics which have been discussed before, pointless "Future destination/fleet..." threads, and other A vs B crap.

Very sad indeed

I'm glad it's not just me that thought over last few days. Sorry to see Whitehatter go.

skidmarks

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:54 am

And I thought it was just me!!  wideeyed 

Well, I'm still around, if a little shellshocked from the course I'm doing at the moment!

I rarely read much in Civ-Av any more as it is so full of drivel. You have to look darn hard for the serious and informative threads. And Non-av is like a minefield - step out of line and BANG!! Of you go on an enforced sabbatical.

Maybe A.net is getting too serious about itself? Anyway, I'll still be at the YYZ meet and the MAN meet, so I hope to see many of you there.

Andy  old   grumpy  and they don't do one for pissed off Big grin
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

stuckinMAF

Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):

To the contrary, we haven't "lost" anything. Whitehatter is just gone.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

aerobalance

Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:00 am

I'm saddened that Rsmith is no longer posting.....
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 16):
I'll still be at the ... MAN meet, so I hope to see many of you there.

Yup - will be there  Smile

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 17):
To the contrary, we haven't "lost" anything. Whitehatter is just gone

Thanks for your marvellous contribution to the thread newbie.

BCAL

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 16):
Maybe A.net is getting too serious about itself? Anyway, I'll still be at the YYZ meet and the MAN meet, so I hope to see many of you there.

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 19):
Yup - will be there

I shall look forward to meeting you both at MAN meet and meeting many others, as I am definitely still going (and waiting to hear about the meal arrangements that Alex had taken on the organisation). My flight and hotel are booked anyway. The MAN Mass Meet thread has quietened down but no doubt it will spring back to life nearer the date.

It is sad that some of the best posters have taken a sabbatical from a.net and even FR Defender is not posting frequently now he is at university in the strange land called Wales. I also miss JGPHA16, whose posts often made me laugh. Hopefully, they will all soon be back. I do not think a.net is getting too serious about itself. Like with many new things, the novelty wears off after a while but there are still thousands of people out there and their interest in civil aviation probably still exists. Start a thread on something like UK charter carriers from the 1980s, and maybe some UK members might wake up!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting BCAL (Reply 20):
Start a thread on something like UK charter carriers from the 1980s, and maybe some UK members might wake up!

LOL - are you sure thats really what we want? Big grin

planesarecool

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:24 am

To be honest, i only really look at the threads in civ av that interest me, usually about aviation in the UK or about a new route or something like that. Simply because that is news - fact - and shouldn't turn into a dispute. I don't bother with a thread saying "Will the *** blah blah?" because i know eventually it will turn into some random A vs. B argument. In what i look at, and post in, i have no real problem with Civ av.

Also, there is the case of money - I for one would not be here if i had to pay, and many probably feel that its not worth it if they're having to pay $55 or whatever it is a year to be on this forum. Luckily, i signed up when the site was free to use

stuckinMAF

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 19):
Thanks for your marvellous contribution to the thread newbie.

You're quite welcome! And what does the fact that I have "only" been here 4 months and made "only" 878 posts have to do with anything? I had enough discussions with Whitehatter during the time I've been a member and reading his posts since LONG before you joined to know what he was about.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

planesarecool

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 23):
And what does the fact that I have "only" been here 4 months and made "only" 878 posts have to do with anything?

The fact that you have too much free time on your hands?  Wink

Nordair

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:10 pm

You're quite welcome! And what does the fact that I have "only" been here 4 months and made "only" 878 posts have to do with anything? I had enough discussions with Whitehatter during the time I've been a member and reading his posts since LONG before you joined to know what he was about.

And WE know what you're about too! It's just too bad that there isn't enough Imodium in this world for all of us to balance your presence.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

cornish

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:03 pm

And then you would know that he actually made relevent and informative posts into Civ.Av that some people can learn from - thanks to having actually worked in the industry - something i'm not actually aware that you've done.

But then your profile says your occupation is slacker - says it all really  Yeah sure

aireuropeuk733

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting BCAL (Reply 20):
Start a thread on something like UK charter carriers from the 1980s, and maybe some UK members might wake up!

Just sharpening my quill now  Wink

Do you really want the celestial being back?

AE733

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 26):

And then you would know that he actually made relevent and informative posts into Civ.Av that some people can learn from - thanks to having actually worked in the industry - something i'm not actually aware that you've done.

But then your profile says your occupation is slacker - says it all really

My point exactly.

StuckinMAF - Whitehatter is a big loss to this site. And your comment was needless.

7L

stuckinMAF

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 28):
StuckinMAF - Whitehatter is a big loss to this site. And your comment was needless.

Really now, it was his decision to go and I respect him for that decision. But things change and this may be a positive change for him. It's better to bid him farewell and let him do what he decides is best for him.

As for the site, people come and people go. You'll decide to leave someday, or just stop posting, and so will I, and we'll wish the best for those that carry on. To say that the site "lost" Whitehatter makes it sound as though he has fallen victim to an unfortunate incident and has perished.

Personal attacks are not a mature way to respond to what I said about Whitehatter and several of you should carefully look back over your posts and my original post and reevaluate the appropriateness of what you have said. If you really want to be as juvenile as you are being about it, I've lost a good deal of respect for you. If not, that's OK. I'll just give more credence to the complaints about the quality of posts on the site lately.

Nordair

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 29):

Personal attacks are not a mature way to respond to what I said about Whitehatter and several of you should carefully look back over your posts and my original post and reevaluate the appropriateness of what you have said.

Glass houses should not throw stones!

I've lost a good deal of respect for you.

The foolish and injudicious comments you constantly make shows that you have very little respect for anyone anyway, so there really is no loss now, is there! It is actually an honour for those to NOT be respected by you.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

7LBAC111
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:45 pm

My point was that Whitehatter deciding to cancel his membership is a significant loss to the site, whether he chose to leave or felt compelled to. From my perspective, I was disappointed to see that you felt his decision to leave to be largely irrelevant. Hence my admittedly, rather sharp comment.

Surely, you can see that in perspective, this thread isn't so much that Whitehatter has left, but the fact that many of our most respected and informed members are doing just that.

I'm sorry you feel you have lost respect for me, thats your call. But hopefully my explanation as to the reason for my comment will go some way in restoring that.

7L

stuckinMAF

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:04 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 31):
I'm sorry you feel you have lost respect for me, thats your call. But hopefully my explanation as to the reason for my comment will go some way in restoring that.

No problem, pal! Let's carry on and hope that Whitehatter and some of the others know that they are always welcome, should they decide to return!  highfive 

skidmarks

Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:29 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that Whitehatter and others won't return to A.net as they have found a different place to communicate.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional