Blair Says God Will Judge Him On Iraq

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:21 pm

777236ER

RE: Blair Says God Will Judge Him On Iraq

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Quoting Scotty (Thread starter):
This guy disgusts me.

Thats all.

In all fairness, he's expressing a personal belief. He's completely entitled to do that. He's been elected three times with the population knowing full well he's a pretty strong Christian. He said God will judge him...pretty much everyone in the world who believes in a supreme being believes that.
Your bone's got a little machine

BritPilot777

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:15 pm

I dont think the our PM's done anything wrong at all. Muslim groups have already said its a disgrace, maybe if he said he will be judged by Allah they wouldn't mind eh??  hissyfit 

He's our PM as well as an individual, he can have his own beliefs, as 777236ER said, he's completely entitled to his opinion.

BP777
Forever Flight

usnseallt82

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:20 pm

This guy disgusts me.

Then he can come to America because we sure as hell appreciate him. This is his opinion and there isn't one thing wrong with that. I think he's completely right.
Crye me a river

Gary2880

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):
he's expressing a personal belief.

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 2):
he's completely entitled to his opinion.

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 3):
This is his opinion

which is what this was....

This guy disgusts me.

personally i couldn't care less if he wants to receive short wave radio signals from a man upstairs
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

777236ER

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:37 pm

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 4):
personally i couldn't care less if he wants to receive short wave radio signals from a man upstairs

Why does this news disgust you all of a sudden?

Gary2880

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 5):
Why does this news disgust you all of a sudden?

im not disgusted im indifferent for a change mate.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

BMIFlyer

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:43 pm

Surely this is no different that Osama telling people that "God" told him to crash planes into various buildings on 9/11?

I'm not disgusted with Tony's relevation, if he is praying to god then let him.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

777236ER

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 7):
Surely this is no different that Osama telling people that "God" told him to crash planes into various buildings on 9/11?

I'm not disgusted with Tony's relevation, if he is praying to god then let him.

The difference is Tony Blair didn't say 'God' told him to attack Iraq, he said he believes God will hold him to account.

I don't see what the fuss about. First and foremost, Blair was held to account by the public...he won the election.

BMIFlyer

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
The difference is Tony Blair didn't say 'God' told him to attack Iraq, he said he believes God will hold him to account

Ah sorry i was referring to this sentence in the report  Smile

"Are we really seeing over 100 coffins coming back (to the UK) because God told him (Mr Blair) to go to war?"

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

777236ER

Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 9):

"Are we really seeing over 100 coffins coming back (to the UK) because God told him (Mr Blair) to go to war?"

And judging from what Mr Blair actually said...no.

I'm surprised the media haven't made a bigger issue of his faith up to now, to be honest.

Scotty
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:19 am

He just disgusts me. Always had, always will. A sanctimonious self righteous liar who has no regard for the sovereignty of Parliament.

777236ER

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 am

Quoting Scotty (Reply 11):
He just disgusts me. Always had, always will. A sanctimonious self righteous liar who has no regard for the sovereignty of Parliament.

How has he ever disregarded the sovereignty of Parliament?

usnseallt82

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:26 am

A sanctimonious self righteous liar who has no regard for the sovereignty of Parliament.

Have you ever watched him in Parliament? Shit, I'm across the pond and I still am able to watch him get his ass handed to him on a weekly basis. I don't know how much more he could respect Parliament than to stick that out.

And when did he start lying? I would love to hear your opinions on him.
Crye me a river

trvyyz

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting BritPilot777 (Reply 2):
I dont think the our PM'srndone anything wrong at all. Muslim groups have already said its arndisgrace, maybe if he said he will be judged by Allah they wouldn'trnmind eh?? hissyfit

FYI your PM's God and arab's Allah is the same. You wouldn't know the difference.
English translation of Allah is God, but not just a translation, for Muslims Allah=God ie, father in the Holy Trinity of Christianity. Also Jews have the same God. It is a pity that these people fight in the name of religion even though they believe in the same GOD(even Jews), hardly any of them realise that.
But it is quite different from your Brahma(in case you believe).

And also the third commandment doesn't really encourge to use God's name for politics LOL.

Banco

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:21 am

I'm with 777236ER on this one. All he's said is that his God will hold him to account, which is a personal view. As for the argument that he's disregarded Parliament, that's self-evidently nonsensical.

However, what I will say is that a while back we had a discussion on how the UK differs from the US in terms of any PM mentioning God in the way that any US President routinely does. Given the relatively inoccuous comments Blair made, you can clearly see the major difference, and the huge dislike and distrust here of any politician suspected to be a "God-botherer".
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Klaus

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:09 am

This statement simply says that he doesn't see himself accountable to the mere mortals who were just good enough to elect him. It's always been the last resort of the morally bankrupt. He's simply not man enough to face the consequences of his actions and is looking for a cop-out.

Disgusting, indeed.  yuck 

Banco

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
This statement simply says that he doesn't see himself accountable to the mere mortals who were just good enough to elect him.

That's making 2+2=5 if I ever saw it. He never said that at all. That's just a tabloid newspaper response.

Skymonster

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:19 am

Blair has run out of mortal supporters of his stance on and the war in Iraq, so now he's having to rely on those who can't answer back.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

TACAA320

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:03 am

If I can insert P.M. Blair in my RR he will be in the first place.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Klaus

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 17):
That's making 2+2=5 if I ever saw it. He never said that at all. That's just a tabloid newspaper response.

That is pretty much exactly what it means when an elected politician has put himself into an unjustifiable situation and finally makes a run for this particular religious escape hatch.

highpeaklad

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:16 am

But he's Scottish , surely he can't be that bad  Wink

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

mhodgson

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:05 am

While I have no problem with him being a Christian, or praying. What I do have a problem with is him using religion to justify his actions. Any action he takes is his action, and it is taken on behalf of the people of the United Kingdom, not God.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

GDB

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:30 am

Mountain out of a molehill, still he should not have done the offending interview.
If Campbell was still running his PR affairs he would not have done.

However, for whatever reason he agreed to be part of the threadbare coalition on Iraq, which I suspect went way beyond deposing Saddam/WMD's, he really should have resigned after no WMD's were found, in late 2003 or thereabouts, allowing time for Brown to get settled in and fight an election in 2005.
He may regret hanging on just too long, like another PM, Thatcher.
His party certainly does already.

However, had the Tories been in power, how exactly would their stance on Iraq have differed?
We all know the answer.

Who cares what the Lib Dems think? Their last major term in office had the most corrupt PM on the 20th Century-by a mile, one David Lloyd-George.

777236ER

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:32 am

Quoting GDB (Reply 23):
Who cares what the Lib Dems think? Their last major term in office had the most corrupt PM on the 20th Century-by a mile, one David Lloyd-George.

In a hung Parliament - which I think the next election will result in - the Lib Dems will definately play a big role in affairs. Just what they're doing electing Ming Campbell is beyond me though...

MD-90

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:55 am

God will hold him to account, and it will not be pretty.

Mir

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 13):
Shit, I'm across the pond and I still am able to watch him get his ass handed to him on a weekly basis. I don't know how much more he could respect Parliament than to stick that out.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that happens to any PM, regardless of their views or party. And what's more, he has to do it (IIRC). I respect him for being able to look good while doing it, but it's not something he does just because he wants to.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Scotty
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:54 am

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 21):
But he's Scottish , surely he can't be that bad

He goes out of his way to hide it. I dont know why - he doesn't consider himself to be Scottish. The Labour party is full of power grabbing Scots who will use Scottishness, Britishness (eg Gordon Brown) or whatever when it suits them to cling on to power. And to pan it all as "nationalistc" when it doesnt.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 22):
What I do have a problem with is him using religion to justify his actions.

Yeah. Especially when his actions have led to over 100 British fatalities in an illegal war, and one which he presented to the Hosue of Commons as being about the removal of WMD when all along he knew there were none. Thats why he is a liar. He has abused the sovereignty of Parliament.

jaysit

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 1):
In all fairness, he's expressing a personal belief. He's completely entitled to do that.

Sure enough.

But just imagine if every politician, Christian or otherwise, resorted to that line whenever he/she came under criticism? Using a divine catch-all is the ultimate act of cowardice. He ordered the UK into the Iraqi war, not God (unless God talks to him in between banter with Pat Robertson), so I say, lets keep God out of this.

God may judge him upon his death, but thats poor comfort to those who are stuck with the ramifications of his decision.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

satx

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Skymonster (Reply 18):
Blair has run out of mortal supporters of his stance on and the war in Iraq, so now he's having to rely on those who can't answer back.

checkmark  100%

Blair doesn't come across like an honest guy, and this just plays into my long held view of him. If he had been able to stand up to Bush then maybe I would have given him some credit, but as it is he just never seemed to have the guts to demand anything significant of Bush in return for being his patsy.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

Banco

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:50 pm

It's quite amazing the number of people here who feel free to comment on exactly what Blair was saying who won't have actually seen the interview.

The context of it was him being asked how he coped with having to make such decisions as going to war. His answer was that because you're sending people into a situation where some will die it was very difficult, and that ultimately it had to come down to a question of his own conscience. Then he was asked how he rationalised his conscience, which is when he said that any person who believed in God would necessarily have to be eventually judged by the Almighty.

Big deal. I'm no Blair fan, but the reaction to this has been somehat hysterical.

BCAL

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:04 am

(With acknowledgments to a joke found on the web, changing the character)

Blair dies and goes to heaven. Of course, St. Peter meets him at the pearly gates. St. Peter says, "Here's how it works. You need 100 points to make it into heaven. You tell me all the good things you've done, and I give you a certain number of points for each item, depending on how good it was. When you reach 100 points, you get in."

"Okay," Blair says, "I was married to Cherrie for 50 years and never cheated on her, even in my heart."

"That's wonderful," says St. Peter, "that's worth three points!"

"Three points?" he says. "Well, I did everything that George Bush, my master, told me to do including lying to the British Parliament and public that Sadam could launch weapons of mass destruction."

"Terrific!" says St. Peter, "that's certainly worth a point."

"One point? Golly. How about this: I took the country to war on these false pretences."

"Well that cancels all your points" he says.

"NO POINTS" Blair cries, "At this rate the only way I get into heaven is by bribing Silvio Berlusconi!"

"Come on in!"
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."