b727

Questions About Life/cost Of Living In London

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:21 am

just looking for general info in life in London compared to Northeast US. Costs of living, average job pay etc.. Anyone with info drop me a line or post here.

B727

Glen

edka

RE: Questions About Life/cost Of Living In London

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:55 am

Glen
generally, London is an expensive city, with high property prices and many good bars/restaurants. Without knowing exactly what info you are after, its difficult to be specific, but if i had to generalise:

Cost of living: High, compared with the rest of UK.
Job opportunities: Good, better than rest of UK (i don't know anyone who came to London and has not found a job, and i don't mean working at Mcdonalds. No disrespect to people who work at McDonalds, but you know what i mean.)
Property prices: High, much higher that rest of UK. (£250k - £300k and up for a two bed flat)
Average job pay: Good, higher than the rest of UK. (i would say average pay in London would be something like £30k a year?)
Bars/Restaurants: Great choice, generally expensive, but you can find good and relatively reasnable pubs/restaurants. I would say average bill in reasnoable restaurant for two with bottle of wine would be £60.

Most foreign people (myself included) i know like living in London, most of Londoners i know want to move to suburbs.  

http://www.thisislondon.com/

[Edited 2006-03-04 20:10:48]

b727

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:00 am

30K a year is that a decent living or is it eating canned soup everynight? London has always had my inerest.

Thanks for the info

Glenn
B727

7FTwinOtter

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting B727 (Reply 2):
30K a year is that a decent living or is it eating canned soup everynight? London has always had my inerest.

You could easily get by in london for �30 pa, but you certainly would not be able to live extravegantly. To live a really nice lifestyle in a really good area will cost big money. In the area i know best (Chalk farm/Primrose hill ) a nice big terraced house would go for a fair bit over �1 million.

comorin

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:41 am

B727,

I had to send one of our employees from NYC to London for a 5-year gig. At that time, USD/GBP was about 1.70.

He took a flat in the American Ghetto (Chelsea) which is helpful in adjusting to the UK, but not cheap. All said and done, many of your friends will be American. A $2,500/mo apartment in NYC goes for about $4,000 in London, neighborhood for neighborhood, but apartments there (Flats) tend to be furnished. You can of course find cheaper flats - Our CFO attended the London Business School for a year and they helped her find a clean and reasonable place.

As a benchmark, a secretary in the City of London makes about GBP 22K, so on a $30K/year budget, you will have to be tight with your pennies.

Costs of living follows a very simple rule, it's 1 GBP = 1 USD; so it costs about 85% more to live in London than in NYC.

It'll be a financial stretch, but the experience will be priceless. Apart from living in one of the world's great cities, Europe is also at your doorstep - so much to see and do.

Don't hesitate and have a wonderful time!