9VSPO
Topic Author

Saw A Good Film Yesterday...Syriana

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:31 am

A politically-charged epic about the state of the oil industry in the hands of those personally involved and affected by it. Stars George Clooney.

It's basically about oil in Iran and how the US were corrupt in trying to gain oil from there. There are four stories all interlinked at the end, one of which includes the story of a young suicide bomber. I highly recommend it.

N1120A

RE: Saw A Good Film Yesterday...Syriana

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):
It's basically about oil in Iran and how the US were corrupt in trying to gain oil from there. There are four stories all interlinked at the end, one of which includes the story of a young suicide bomber.

Actually, a large part of the storyline is a crossing of what happened to Mossadeq and the current situation of succession in Saudi Arabia. Anyone who sees Syriana should see it at least twice, the complexities are far too great to just see it once.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:39 am

You're saying the americans are greedy for oil? Well I never!

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

airkas1
Crew

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:41 am

I saw a good film yesterday aswell, "High Crimes"  Smile
Airliners.net Crew - Head Photo Screener

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:42 am

I saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" last night, but it just doesn't get very political...

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

msllsmith

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
Anyone who sees Syriana should see it at least twice, the complexities are far too great to just see it once.

Yes, I agree. I enjoyed it very much, but had gotten a heads up from a review about the necessitity of paying close attention the four intertwined stories.

I did go back a second time. But I do that frequently with movies that get my attention....
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 4):

Thom@s,
"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. "

Wink

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:55 am

Lousy french inhabitants of the castle Argh...

Thom@s

boeingfanyyz

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:59 am

"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 8):

I really hope ALL Canadians don't look like that! Big grin

boeingfanyyz

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:02 am

"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:06 am

And to think this could have turned into a serious debatte about the US sucking the world dry of oil... Big grin

Good thing we've prevented that eh...

Thom@s

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:07 am

Talk about hijacking!!! This was a serious thread about a serious movie which now has a pic of Yoda in it. I give up!  cry 

PPVRA

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:08 am

I still have to watch it. The only thing that puts me off is Clooney. . . can't stand him.

Quoting Thom@s (Reply 4):
I saw "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" last night, but it just doesn't get very political...

Except for the part in which the revolting peasant is questioning King Arthur's claim to power in ideological grounds and gets him pissed off...  Wink I love that part Big grin

Quote:
ARTHUR: Well ... I AM king.

DENNIS [peasant]: Oh, very nice. King, eh! I expect you've got a palace and fine clothes and courtiers and plenty of food. And how d'you get that? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the social and economic differences in our society! If there's EVER going to be any progress ...

more here:

http://www.spunk.org/texts/humour/sp000621.txt

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 12):
Talk about hijacking!!! This was a serious thread about a serious movie which now has a pic of Yoda in it.

Still it's more fun to talk about Python than US politics, isn't it?  Wink

Thom@s

BMIFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Thread starter):

Actually, I also want to see this movie, sincit has been getting very good reviews in various newspapers here in the UK.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

9VSPO
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:46 am

What I would like to know is this....

Am I wrong? I actually felt sorry for that suicide bomber. I think he was a victim of circumstance and he was the one character I actually felt most empathy with. He was a nice kid but just got sucked in. Is it wrong to feel like that?

N1120A

Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 16):
Am I wrong? I actually felt sorry for that suicide bomber. I think he was a victim of circumstance and he was the one character I actually felt most empathy with. He was a nice kid but just got sucked in. Is it wrong to feel like that?

No, you are not wrong. Your analysis is spot on. He was made to think that there was nothing else in life and the only way to break free of the bounds of extreme poverty and subjugation was doing what he did. The guy who brainwashed him (same one who shoved a gun in Bob's face in Tehran) is the one to despise
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

HAJFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:06 am

I watched it yesterday; despite the good reviews the cinema here in Zurich was almost empty.

Having read the book "See no evil" ex-CIA operative Bob Bear on which the film is based, I was positively surprised that the film managed to portray the complexities of the situation in the middle east and did not resort to the usual Hollywood oversimplification.

Thom@s

Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:22 pm

Hmm, Syriana just snatched one more academy award than Python ever got...

Just saying..  Smile

Thom@s

BestWestern

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 pm

I saw Syriana on friday evening. Excellent, and very well written. Noticed the bit about political interference with aircraft orders in the middle-east also.
You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!