A346Dude
Topic Author

My First Mugging

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:09 am

It just happened to me the other day in Montreal. I had just arrived by bus from Ottawa when I found myself in a rather secluded area in the metro station. The guy ahead of me on the escalator asked me if I had a quarter (yes, a quarter - in retrospect, I should have seen it coming), and I pulled out my wallet, at the same time thinking to myself this would be a good opportunity for him to steal my money if he were so inclined.

That's when he quietly told me he had a knife, and told me to give him my wallet. I was pretty scared, but I managed to ask if I could at least keep my ID. He said fine, and I was quickly pulling out all the relevant cards when I realized I should just give him all my cash. I did, and he quickly walked away. I didn't even look back at him as he left.

My heart pounding, I turned the corner and saw there were tons of people waiting for the train. I had no idea there were so many people so close, and I really don't know what I would have done had I known this.

All told I lost about $60-70, but was very glad to have kept my ID. I took out some money at the next ATM and was good to go. Not the greatest way to be greeted to Montreal (it was my first time there), but I ended up having a great weekend in the city.

So, how would you have acted in that situation?

[Edited 2006-03-06 01:10:01]
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

ANCFlyer

RE: My First Mugging

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:19 am

Quoting A346Dude (Thread starter):

I don't carry change in my wallet - or cash either for that matter . . . but for the sake of the thread:

Opened my wallet, in plain view, allowed my badge to become visible, and then asked the mugger why he brought a knife to a gun fight.

You did just fine, and to followup: Did you give a description to the authorities? I trust you contacted them ASAP?

[Edited 2006-03-06 01:22:18]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

greasespot

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 am

Oh...maybe next weekend you can to to Toronto and have your second Mugging....  hyper 

GS

p.s you did exactally what you should have.....The little money in your wallet is not worth injury or death..
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

A346Dude
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:37 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 1):
Did you give a description to the authorities? I trust you contacted them ASAP?

You'll probably be disappointed by this, but no I didn't. I guess the adrenaline was going so fast that I barely remember what he looked like - I know he was a man, wearing a coat, but that's about it. I don't think there's any way the police could ever find the guy based on my description, so I just didn't see how reporting it could be of any possible benefit.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

bristolflyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:39 am

You did the right thing giving him the money, but the wrong thing pulling your wallet out in the first place (by your post it sounds like you realised that). If anyone ever asks me fpr change I tell them no, I certainly wouldn't get my wallet out in front of a stranger.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I hope you're not expecting it to happen again (based upon the thread title!).

BF
Fortune favours the brave

stuckinMAF

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:44 am

First of all, I feel very sorry that you had to live through this and I'm very happy it turned out OK.

I keep my change and money in my pockets and I have a $10 with tape on it to weight it down for exactly this purpose. I would have pulled out the quarter he requested, "clumsily" dropped it to distract him as I stepped back to give myself little extra buffer as I put my hand on my revolver. Then if he told me he had a knife, I would say I only had $10 and he was welcome to it and use the other hand to take it from my pocket and drop it, too. Small price to pay to avoid having to escalate the situation.

If he persisted, I would have told him I have a gun and my hand is already on it and he should not come any closer because I am prepared to use lethal force to protect myself if necessary. If he shows the knife at that point, he gets a 210-grain slug ventilating his vital organs at 1100 feet per second, and I place a call to 911 and tell them someone has been shot and needs an ambulance, then I call my attorney. After that, someone else calls for cleanup on aisle 4.

I understand that you live in a place where you would not be allowed to defend yourself or your family if the situation in this instance had become violent (he actually produced the knife), and I feel very sorry for you in that respect. If you have no counter-knife training, all you can do is run and hope he's not faster.
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

BMIFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:49 am

Opened my wallet, in plain view, allowed my badge to become visible, and then asked the mugger why he brought a knife to a gun fight.

Way to go  bigthumbsup 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Nordair

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:54 am

A346Dude, you did the right thing. Your life is what matters and not money. Unless you have the sort of training that someone like ANCFlyer has, you don't exactly know what you are up against and it's better to NOT resist.

Never carry more than $5.00 in your wallet and keep the rest in either your pocket or a money belt. The same goes for your credit and debit cards.

I wish you hadn't had to go through this experience, but it happens. Be glad you're safe and will awake in the morning to greet another day.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

YYZflyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 5):
I understand that you live in a place where you would not be allowed to defend yourself or your family if the situation

You would be able to in Florida with that stupid gun law .
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

greasespot

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:57 am

There is nothing in my wallet worth shooting someone over.........Including cash, Bank card, credit card, etc....

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

stuckinMAF

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 9):
There is nothing in my wallet worth shooting someone over.........Including cash, Bank card, credit card, etc....

Mine, either. That's why I said....

If he shows the knife at that point

Showing the knife confirms his intent to do myself or someone else harm. It also can justify my use of force to protect myself.

Quoting YYZflyer (Reply 8):
You would be able to in Florida with that stupid gun law .

Actually, more than just Texas and Florida (sorry, 2004 is the most up-to-date map I can get right now):

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

skysurfer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:12 am

I was mugged for 50 pence once........mug me now and i'll kick your arse, or i'll die trying. I don't care how hard you look or how big you are, i've taken a few self defence lessons and i've been taught by my US Marine friend how to fight dirty. I'll do everything i can to put whoever on the ground, i'm not going to be someone's bitch ever again, even if it means my life......i mean it.

Cheers
In the dark you can't see ugly, but you can feel fat

aaden

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:22 am

don't carry change in my wallet - or cash either for that matter . . . but for the sake of the thread:

why do you carry a wallet?
 alert   box  captain America

fxramper

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:26 am

I almost got jacked in the airport at CDG about 4 years ago. Scared the hell out of me.  Sad

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting AAden (Reply 13):
why do you carry a wallet?

Ummm . . . .

allowed my badge to become visible

biggrin 

Plus business cards, driver's license, EMT Card, blah, blah, blah . . .

Cash in left front pants pocket . . . always.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

stuckinMAF

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
Cash in left front pants pocket . . . always.

Ditto.

BMIFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:52 pm

I had a passenger on a train try to mug me, about 9 years ago, but unfortunately for him I was in a bad mood with the train being late, and the weather being $hit. I was on my way home on christmas leave at the time.

Let's just say he didn't get off the train looking like he did when he got on.  Wink

Fool!!

Lee

halls120

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:29 pm

Why did you pull out your wallet when he asked for a quarter?

I would have responded "no" when he asked me for money. If I had the opportunity to run - sounds like you didn't - I would have. If cornered, I would have given up the wallet like you did.

The closest I came to getting mugged was a few years ago in Curacao. Saw two guys casing me from across the street as I walked back to my hotel. I looked at both of them with the idea I knew what they were up to, and that I'd either run or defend myself. Once I made eye contact with them, they turned around.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Molykote

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:57 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 18):
The closest I came to getting mugged was a few years ago in Curacao. Saw two guys casing me from across the street as I walked back to my hotel. I looked at both of them with the idea I knew what they were up to, and that I'd either run or defend myself. Once I made eye contact with them, they turned around.

Been in similar situations. Sometimes I actually pull a "can I help you?".

I have no law enforcement experience but looking at the situation described in this thread and some other observations/experience it looks like these guys count on surprising people a good amount of the time. Taking that element away can't hurt. Situational awareness is always valuable.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

MiCorazonAzul

Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Did you give a description to the authorities? I trust you contacted them ASAP?

with what purpose? We all know authorities don't do anything in these cases.....

Very sorry to hear of your story A346Dude...you were DEFINETLY lucky though. My brother was mugged by 5 guys at a gas station. Not only mugged but beat up also. Of course it was reported to the "authorities", bla bla bla....to this day, have YET to do anything to the guys. Seems like "authorities" nowdays are just good for giving speeding tickets....

[Edited 2006-03-06 06:05:37]
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

BMIFlyer

Mon Mar 06, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 20):
We all know authorities don't do anything in these cases.....

Wrong!  Yeah sure

If you don't report it, they won't do anything, because they won't know about it.

Lee

halls120

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:26 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 18):
I have no law enforcement experience but looking at the situation described in this thread and some other observations/experience it looks like these guys count on surprising people a good amount of the time. Taking that element away can't hurt. Situational awareness is always valuable.

You are absolutely right. That is why I never use my ipod in a public place where I might be singled out as a likely target.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

aviationmaster

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Normally, when people come up to me and ask me for money, I tell them that I'm out of cash. But in your situation, I would've probably done the same.

The closest I've ever been to being mugged, was with a friend of mine, after we had just left the pub at 1 o'clock in the morning. After walking a few meters, an African guy approached us from behind and grabed both of us by our necks. At first we tought he was just drunk, but a few seconds later he was asking for money.

I then tried to explain to him that i didn't have any, but he insisted. Then he told us that his friends were waiting at the other side of the street if we would not comply - unfortuantly he wasn't joking. On the other side of the street, five huge Africans were waiting for him to give a sign and come to beat us up.

Luckily we were both able to free ourselves, when we took advantage of the guy being distracted for a split second and then we ran away as fast as we could. What made the situation even worse, was that we heard him give the signal to his friends.

After running for a few minutes, not knowing if we were being chased or not, guess where my friend and I ended up? In a Neonazi bar. Big grin One guy approached us and asked us what the problem was, and after explaining what had just happened to us, he actually wanted to go out and look for the guys with some of his friend.

Sabena332

Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:58 pm

and then asked the mugger why he brought a knife to a gun fight.

rotfl 

That made me rally laugh out loud!  bigthumbsup 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

oli80

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:07 pm

Sorry, but reading this title, I was expecting a story about how YOU mugged someone for the first time.

Not a laughing matter I know, and i'm glad you're okay! Those situations can go wrong so easily as he was probably just as nervous as you were. You did the right thing handing everything over.

yooyoo

Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 14):
Cash in left front pants pocket . . . always

thanks for the information  Wink

and KROC thought you were happy to see him last year !!  Wink

All you lost was $70. Good job. Sounds like you kept your head. I don't know what i would do in that situation.

I really thing i would do a "skysurfer" and do my best to pound him into a pulp. I'm really a calm quiet fellow, but get in my space my miind goes crazy.  crazy 
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 19):
We all know authorities don't do anything in these cases.....

Who is "WE ALL" . . . .  sarcastic 

Quoting YooYoo (Reply 25):
and KROC thought you were happy to see him last year !!  wink 

rotfl 

erikwilliam

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:45 am

The guy ahead of me on the escalator asked me if I had a quarter

that´s the good thing about Brasil, we don´t have this kind of problems..

dude, why didn´t u scream, or ran, I mean, if at least he had a gun...

next time someone ask you for money you say: suck my di**...and get the f**off
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

L-188

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:51 am

and then asked the mugger why he brought a knife to a gun fight

Actually I do know one person who when asked by the Anchorage Police Department "What Happened" said that the perp had brought a spoon to a gunfight......Cops told him to knock it off....no sense of humor.

Actually it was the guy that was showing off all the guns to that flight nurse at Security Aviation. He got held up by some streetperson who was holding a spoon in his pocket to claim he had a gun. Got himself pistol wipped with a .38 special for that. He only hit him once which made him easy to identify for the cops because he left the imprint of the front sight of the pistol in the guys lip.

Caused some problems where it occured, but since he kept working as a medic, they got worked out apparently.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Gary2880

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:16 am

should see the kind of nutters, homeless junkies, drunks and twats a 30,000 quid TV camera attracts when your out on the street filming gvs or vps. not pleasant.

luckily i learnt pretty quick that if they just want to make an arse out of themselves on TV i just have to turn the tally light on and point the camera at them, they are so dumb stuck they just stand there staring and then run away. sometimes you just have to pack up and go somewhere else though.
Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel :- Samuel Johnson

A346Dude
Topic Author

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:20 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):
Why did you pull out your wallet when he asked for a quarter?

I would have responded "no" when he asked me for money. If I had the opportunity to run - sounds like you didn't - I would have. If cornered, I would have given up the wallet like you did.

Well, I figured that since no one was around anyways, if he was looking to steal my wallet he might just demand it after I declined him the quarter. Say I responded that I didn't have a quarter and he called my bluff, becomes angry and maybe pulls out a knife right then. Maybe the fact that I had been willing to help him out when I thought he was just looking for change made him more willing to "compromise" and let me keep some contents of my wallet.

Quoting Oli80 (Reply 24):
Those situations can go wrong so easily as he was probably just as nervous as you were.

Exactly, which is why I tried to stay as calm as possible and talk in a low voice. I didn't want to do anything that might spook him or cause him to do something desperate.

Really, I did not even consider making a run for it. We were in pretty close range and I knew if he actually chased and caught me it would be much worse than if I just gave him the wallet.

msllsmith

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:21 am

I went back to check your age. I think you did OK for your first mugging. When I moved to Bed-Sty which is crummy neighborhood in Brooklyn, when I was 18, I learned fast too. Briefly, some big jerk grabbed me on the subway stairs. My fright reaction was to kick out. It turned into a lucky kick and he sailed down the stairs. Just luck. I'm 6' tall.... I pack a good kick... I gaurentee you I was more upset than he was!

There's been some good advice given here: (Because I lived in NYC while it was pretty wild-west I learned some basic things quickly and still lived on to make the same mistakes and regret them later....) But, I always carry my cash in my front pocket, my ID and credit cards in my other pocket.... if I carry a pocket book (I'm female) for social events etc. I only carry makeup and junk in it....But, like I said, sometimes stupid things happen and you still don't react as you tell yourself you will. About 15 ys ago getting out of a taxi a bunch of kids saw me shove my change in my pocket, cornered me grabbed it and ran... Instead of letting well enough alone... I dropped my sample kit (full of irreplaceable fashion samples!) and took chase. Dumber than hell. At the time I ran regularly 5 min miles and this is were it really gets stupid.... I caught up with the kid.... put my hand on his shoulder (like I was going to wrestle a 15 yr old kid to the ground?)...luckily for me he chose to throw the money on the ground. Feeling pretty good about myself I went back to the doorway... and of course, my sample bag was no where to be found. Moral? I risked my life for about 50$ and lost stuff which I couldn't replace. I reported it to the police for the record... hoping maybe they would stop it from happening to someone else.

While I regularly give money to homeless people, I always refuse if someone asks me.... just for the reason you have just learned. If someone asks me for the time, or a cig. or a light I always shake my head and keep walking. I don't hesitate to cross the street if I'm getting bad vibes from someone.

It's a pretty long list of defensive measures I've incorporated into my behavior. I spoke to a NYC detective who gave me the classic "ball crunch" maneuver which I actually had to use once.... that and the classic adrenaline fueled sprint saved my ass that night.

All in all, I'm sorry this happened to you. I think this is crappy that we have to learn sometimes the hard way but I still think you did well.

30 yrs ago, a policeman told me don't carry any kind of weapon if you're not absolutely sure you'll be willing to use it. I know that I'm not. I would never be fast enough to. So, even if I'm carrying a knife (sometimes for work)... the last thing I would do is pull it out.

Maybe it's easier for a woman, but screaming and the 5 min mile I think is the good defense... that and the other stuff here.

And on a lighter note..... you'll dine out on THIS tale for a while.
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:31 am

dude, you did the right thing under the circumstances and you seemed to keep your head.

just be more aware in the future and make sure you stick to public places which are well populated.

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 31):
30 yrs ago, a policeman told me don't carry any kind of weapon if you're not absolutely sure you'll be willing to use it. I know that I'm not. I would never be fast enough to. So, even if I'm carrying a knife (sometimes for work)... the last thing I would do is pull it out.

That's good advice from the cop.
Don't carry a weapon you are not: A- trained to use...and B. Willing to use.

And for God's sake, don't try to use a knife on someone unless you are willing to get cut.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

stuckinMAF

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:14 am

Since the dynamics of the discussion have changed a little bit and have taken on a more hypothetical tone, I'll expand on my earlier post.

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 30):
Say I responded that I didn't have a quarter and he called my bluff, becomes angry and maybe pulls out a knife right then.

Then unfortunately because your government has taken away your ability to own and use one of the most effective means of personal defense, the only thing standing between you and numerous continuing hospital stays and close calls with death like TFSPhoto has experienced is the grace and sympathy of the guy with the potentially lethal weapon in his hand.

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 30):
Maybe the fact that I had been willing to help him out when I thought he was just looking for change made him more willing to "compromise" and let me keep some contents of my wallet.

It also made him more willing to victimize someone else because there were absolutely no (nor will there likely ever be) consequenses to his actions this time. He may even be more bold next time and after he gets away with it a few more times he'll have less and less respect for the law and human life. Then what's going to stop him from just killing someone? The Police? Where were they and why didn't they protect you in this incident? (Not picking on you, A346Dude, just using the violent situation you were exposed to as an example.)

AR385

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:36 am

When I went to gun class, the first lesson was to learn how to use your gun. The second lesson was to never take it out unless you are going to use it. I am sure police officers are trained differently.

If I remember correctly, statistics show that a high number of people are killed or injured by their own guns in robberies, home invasions, etc. I cannot source that, though.

This happens because when they draw the gun, their mind is not set to actually use it. A gun is not a toy. When for any reason you actually take it out (and the only reason should be to defend yourself or your loved ones) you get it out and use it, immediately, almost like a reflex, period.

I would also say that you need a gun that will actually stop the person you want stopped. I won't go into details but some junkies may not be stopped immediately with small calibers. Depends what they are on. So, mine is a .45 caliber. I don't carry it with me though, since it is illegal here.

Now, in your particular mugging, I think you behaved as you should have. For $70, it is not worth getting hurt. I do think that you should have reported it to the authorities.

satx

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:57 am

Wow. Sometimes I wonder if you're just reading from a script.

You did just fine, and to followup: Did you give a description to the authorities? I trust you contacted them ASAP?

If multiple people start reporting muggings in the same area then maybe a cop might adjust his rounds to go through the area to establish a presence or perhaps they might try a sting operation. Other than that, I can't see what exactly reporting it would do. It's not like this specific perpetrator is going down or the victim is ever going to get his money back.

I understand that you live in a place where you would not be allowed to defend yourself or your family if the situation in this instance had become violent (he actually produced the knife), and I feel very sorry for you in that respect.

Yeah, can't you see how a shoot first ask questions later law would have helped the situation?  sarcastic 

Quoting Nordair (Reply 7):
Never carry more than $5.00 in your wallet and keep the rest in either your pocket or a money belt. The same goes for your credit and debit cards.

Be careful trying to shortchange a mugger. If he doesn't have any money to run away with he just might decide to enjoy himself in other ways. Unless you know how to handle yourself, you might be better off just handing over an easy fifty and be done with it.

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 9):

No kidding. Some folks on this thread talk as if they would shoot someone over a toothpick if they thought it would help establish their manhood.

Quoting SkySurfer (Reply 10):
I'll do everything i can to put whoever on the ground, i'm not going to be someone's bitch ever again, even if it means my life......i mean it.

Getting yourself killed over a wallet is nothing more than being your own bitch. Are you sure you want to let your balls dictate your life's choices?

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 20):
If you don't report it, they won't do anything, because they won't know about it.

See my comment above. Although it's a good idea to report the crime it's not like he'd have his money back if only he had reported it. Reporting it is mainly a benefit to those who come after him.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

msllsmith

Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 33):
Then what's going to stop him from just killing someone? The Police? Where were they and why didn't they protect you in this incident? (Not picking on you,

First.......... if you are assaulted...... go the POLICE and REPORT it. Let them know about it so they CAN deal with it.

Even hypothetically speaking......there are not enough police to protect all citizens from every act of random violence. We all have to take some responsibility for our own protection.... like on an airline (!!!!) Know your exits, read the safety card etc................. but, the issue still remains..... need we carry a gun? Would we use it correctly? Would your attacker take it away from you and use it ....on guess who? Probably not even if you have been "trained in a firing range"...from what I've heard, killing a target is quite different from killing a person.......... there have to be other threads about the improper storage of guns etc. and children gaining access to them and all the varieties of this scenario......

I think that if you are a civilian victim ..... do what you can to save your ass. Which does not usually entail pulling out a weapon. Then, report it to the police who are trained to deal with it.

Do your best at the time, and then leave it to professionals who have weapons training.... I may be hopelessly naive... but I've knicked out of a few ( maybe a half dozen) stupid potentially violent situations in an urban setting and lived to tell about it over coffee.

(PS..... I live in a big city..... I've read too many articles about civilians inadvertantly killing innocent people.... and of course, getting killed themselves in the process.....)
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 35):
Wow. Sometimes I wonder if you're just reading from a script.

Wow, most times I don't give a shit what you wonder?

satx

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 36):
I think that if you are a civilian victim ..... do what you can to save your ass. Which does not usually entail pulling out a weapon. Then, report it to the police who are trained to deal with it.

I agree completely. Keep cool, don't try to be a hero unless you're going to lose more than some pocket money. Cash can be replaced, cards can be canceled, but losing your head is often a one-way event.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 37):
Wow, most times I don't give a shit what you wonder?

With a 'Respect Rating' of 82, this is still the best you can come up with?
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

stuckinMAF

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:50 am

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 36):

Good post. You make a lot of valid points for those who are not ready to take on the responsibility of firearms ownership.

Quoting SATX (Reply 35):
Yeah, can't you see how a shoot first ask questions later law would have helped the situation?

Being as I consider myself a master of the art, I think I detect a hint of sarcasm there.

Going on that assumption, I NEVER said "shoot first". If you'll read Reply #5, you'll see that the potential aggressor would have had 3 distinct chances to withdraw and it would have only been after I was confronted with potentially lethal force that I would have drawn.

AC773

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:37 am

ANCFlyer, you might like this:

This happened about a year and a half ago to 5 cops from Baltimore. They were all off duty, and had spent an evening out together. It was about 11:30 PM, and they were walking to the parking garage where their cars were. Suddenly a man approached them and demanded everyone's wallets, proceeding to pull out a knife. Not to be outdone, they each withdrew their firearm. Suffice to say, the perp took off running.  biggrin 

Sorry for not providing a proper news article, but the Baltimore Sun tends to only keep select stories past a certain date.  banghead 

-AC773
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.