saintsman

How Do You Cook The Perfect Steak?

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:30 am

I have just cooked steak for my dinner. It was as tough as old boots.

What is the best way to cook a nice tender juicy steak?

I like mine medium / rare.

9VSPO

RE: How Do You Cook The Perfect Steak?

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting Saintsman (Thread starter):
It was as tough as old boots.

Serves you right for shopping at Aldi!  Big grin

I usually just stick mine under the grill for about 8 minutes either side.

kiwiinoz

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:39 am

Cook it from room temp, not straight out of the fridge
Place your thumb on your middle finger. Then feel the fleshy bit of your palm near the base of your thumb. A bit soft, a bit springy? That's how a medium rare steak should feel to the touch. Thumb on index finger, that's rare. Thumb on pinky, that's well done.
Don't salt the steak until it's cooked.

Derico

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:40 am

There are no perfect steaks outside Argentina  tapedshut 
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

Dougloid

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:45 am

Lay that mother out on a board and tenderize it with a tenderizing mallet, both sides. Then, marinate it with garlic, basil, oregano, black pepper, kosher salt, wine vinegar and olive oil for a couple hours.
Then onto a hot barbie until medium rare.

Steak de burgo.

This will cure even the toughest hunka range cattle.

Delicious!
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

yooyoo

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:47 am

I find that one should always use fresh, "high end" meat.

Turn only once. Length of time depends on the thickness of the meat.

I admit i cut the meat while cooking to see if it is done to my specs.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 1):
Serves you right for shopping at Aldi!

I thought that was a German store?
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:52 am

1) Rub it lightly with a good mustard while it comes up to room temperature.

2) Use HIGH heat, like on a grill or grill pan (I never broil steak).

3) Sear it, lock in the juices, and don't turn it until you just start to see juices begin to form on the uncooked side. Turn it once, just once, no matter how tempted you are to make sure the other side is cooked enough.

I'd give it no more than 5 minutes per side for the average steak cooked medium-rare.
International Homo of Mystery

CO7e7

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 2):
Place your thumb on your middle finger. Then feel the fleshy bit of your palm near the base of your thumb. A bit soft, a bit springy? That's how a medium rare steak should feel to the touch.

That's how i check mine! is there another way to check for it without cutting it?

smokescreen

Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:57 am

Good tips here. My plan has always been to cook the IMperfect steak, and then cover it with Bearnaise sauce...

SWISSER

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 3):
There are no perfect steaks outside Argentina

That's maybe the best piece of advice!
Get a decent product, a real steak, not some shoulder piece they cutted to look like a steak, buchers are real magicians on tricks, and make sure your cooking medium (grill, pan) is close to the heat of the sun! (very hot!)
Use real butter for a pan, and if you grill use olive oil, not corn oils or nut oils because they can't stand the heat.

The best method of cooking a steak is experience, but also think logically,
a thin steak for "leather lap" and a thick steak for medium rare.

the thumb rule is also very good to compare the degree of cooking!
I see it was already posted, so no need to replay it!

Hope this helps!

[Edited 2006-03-06 22:14:33]
What time is top of descent?

EMBQA

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:25 am

I go mediun rare as well. I saw once on FoodNetwork to cook a steak this way, and I've never gone back....

First you need a good, solid cast iron frying pan. Take the steak out of the fridge an hour or so before you cook it. The meat should be at room temprature before cooking......cool is OK, but not right out of the ice box. This will give you a much better cook. Turn the oven on high or about 350 - 400 degs. Coat the bottom of the pan with Peanut oil. ONLY use peanut oil as it has a much higher flash point and smokes less.... but still be careful...!! Put the pan in the oven to get hot. While the pan is warming season your steak with your favorite spices.... salt, pepper..whatever you like. I use Kosher salt. After about two minutes open the oven and lay in the steak. Time depends on the thickness, but for a thick Rib Eye I go 2 minutes a side.. or until it's seared good..!! Leave the oven door cracked and STAY close by to watch it...!! You'll get the feel quickly what works best for you and how you like it. Use tongs to flip it as using a fork or poker lets out the good juices. When it's ready, pull it and and remove it from the pan and place it on a plate it sit..!! DON'T TOUCH IT...!! Let it sit for about 5 minutes or so... Just enough time to get your plate out, pop open a good frosty beer. Sitting allows the juices time to pull back into the beef. It you start messing around early, all the juices come out and the steak is dry and nasty...... now enjoy.

[Edited 2006-03-06 22:26:59]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

srbmod

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:48 am

It was as tough as old boots.

You need a good marinade for that. I used to buy the cheapest cuts of meat I could (When you're on a budget, you have to get what you can afford) and marinate them for 6-8+ hours in a marinade that consisted of the following:

Beer. There are some naturally occurring chemicals in beer that will aid in the breaking down of tough meat.

Worcestershire sauce

garlic powder

black pepper

red pepper flakes (I like a little heat).

Put into a resealable container, throw your meat in for 6-8 hours (8 hours seemed to make it just tender enough), seal, and put into the refrigerator.

Gilligan

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:54 am

Get in car. Drive car to Ruth Chris. Have seat in Ruth Chris and order perfect steak. Has not failed me yet.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

msllsmith

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:57 am

Quoting SWISSER (Reply 9):
the thumb rule is also very good to compare the degree of cooking!
I see it was already posted, so no need to replay it!

Agree.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 10):
First you need a good, solid cast iron frying pan. Take the steak out of the fridge an hour or so before you cook it.

Also agree.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 10):
I go mediun rare as well. I saw once on FoodNetwork to cook a steak this way, and I've never gone back....

First you need a good, solid cast iron frying pan. Take the steak out of the fridge an hour or so before you cook it. The meat should be at room temprature before cooking......cool is OK, but not right out of the ice box. This will give you a much better cook. Turn the oven on high or about 350 - 400 degs. Coat the bottom of the pan with Peanut oil. ONLY use peanut oil as it has a much higher flash point and smokes less.... but still be careful...!! Put the pan in the oven to get hot. While the pan is warming season your steak with your favorite spices.... salt, pepper..whatever you like. I use Kosher salt. After about two minutes open the oven and lay in the steak. Time depends on the thickness, but for a thick Rib Eye I go 2 minutes a side.. or until it's seared good..!! Leave the oven door cracked and STAY close by to watch it...!! You'll get the feel quickly what works best for you and how you like it. Use tongs to flip it as using a fork or poker lets out the good juices. When it's ready, pull it and and remove it from the pan and place it on a plate it sit..!! DON'T TOUCH IT...!! Let it sit for about 5 minutes or so... Just enough time to get your plate out, pop open a good frosty beer. Sitting allows the juices time to pull back into the beef. It you start messing around early, all the juices come out and the steak is dry and nasty...... now enjoy.

I do it almost the same, but I rub it with olive oil and season it when I take it out of the frig. (I use the warm up to room temp time to do the salad and other stuff) ..... put it in crazy as a lune hot cast iron skillet, (which should be well seasoned, but dry) on top of the stove..... depending on how thick (I'm a filet mignon lover) turn it at appropriate time (5 mins. +/- = 2") the same on other side.....(Do the finger touch thing.... or break down and buy a damned meat thermometer) set it aside, cover w/ aluminum foil to continue cooking while I make a simple wine reduction with butter.

It works so often, I'm embarrassed to admit how simple it is.
There's nothing more beautiful than flying into the dawn.

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:59 am

Search Engine . . . .
Best Way To Cook A Steak? (by Brendan03 Jan 8 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1061258
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Tom in NO

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 12):
Get in car. Drive car to Ruth Chris. Have seat in Ruth Chris and order perfect steak. Has not failed me yet.

Took the words right out of my mouth wink . I too let Ruth's Chris Steakhouse cook it for me.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

airbusA346

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:11 am

Emmmmmmmm.......Steak.  yummy   yummy 

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

kiwiinoz

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:55 am

I agree with this. They truly are the best beef producers, although there are a couple that are not too far behind.

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 7):
That's how i check mine! is there another way to check for it without cutting it?

Obviousely chefs and stuff just know how it's meant to feel and don't stand in the kitchen doing the finger thing. But feel is always the best way. Timing each side is subject to inconsistencies like thickness of the steak, type of cut, heat of the pan/grill etc.

comorin

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:18 am

The perfect steak - fly F on Gulf Air and let SWISSER cook one for you!

Here are some tips:

1. Room Temp to start
2. Lots of Salt /Pepper - old wives tale that salt will draw out the juices.
3. The right cut - don't use cuts meant for roasts.
4, Very High Heat to sear, then pop pan in oven to finish cooking.
5. Remember steaks continue to cook after removal from heat, so let it sit.
6. Marinades don't really penetrate far enough into the meat to have much effect - they just provide surface seasoning.
7. Slice the meat correctly - across the grain.

Dougloid

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:55 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 17):

I agree with this. They truly are the best beef producers, although there are a couple that are not too far behind.

Suh, I beg to inform ya that you have just declared war on the People's Republic of Nebraska.

I suggest a duel.

Cowflops at five paces.

It's simple really. Range cattle are raised on grass. They take longer to raise, and they taste different from cattle that are raised in pasture and finished in feedlots. Ultimately it is a matter of what you get used to. It's really no different than some folks developing a taste for a good cabernet where others prefer something different. When I lived in California most of the beef we got was western range cattle. The meat was a bit darker in color and had a different taste. When I moved to Iowa the local beef took a bit of getting used to, as it smells different. But it's all good. We do raise some pretty decent beef here.

I'm sure that as Argentine soy production increases that more of your cattle will be fed in feedlots where all that oilseed cake can be put to good use. One byproduct, if you will, of the rapid development of ethanol plants that are making motor fuel in these parts is a lot of DDGS is freed up for cattle feeding. Cows like the stuff, and the yeast residue increases the nutritional value of the product significantly.

Now. I WILL concede that there's something Argentine cattle have that we do not include in ours. It is available as a no cost extra.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4694532.stm

EMBQA

Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 13):
I do it almost the same, but I rub it with olive oil

I will do the same sometimes, but only rub the steak.... Olive Oil will smoke and burn if you use it in the pan
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

msllsmith

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 20):
I will do the same sometimes, but only rub the steak.... Olive Oil will smoke and burn if you use it in the pan

Yes, rub olive oil only the steak..... sorry if I didn't make that clear.

(I recently paid 23.99 for a pound of filet mignon..... I'm thinking of living on only nuts and berries)(possibly in the woods)

canuckpaxguy

Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:30 am

Rules of thumb:
> A good steak NEVER needs a marinade, salt, pepper or spice.
> A steak should NEVER be overcooked.
> NEVER buy cheap meat.
> Dispose of all BBQ sauce. It has no place near a decent steak.

Picking a good steak.
> You want it to be well marbled, but not grissly.
> You do NOT need to spend a fortune on things like Kobe beef. It's just not worth it. The most expensive you should consider is Black Angus.
> Experiment with different kinds: flank, tenderloin (filet mignon), porterhouse, t-bone, tri-tip etc.
> Ask your butcher or meat manager for help. They LOVE talking about steak.

Cooking Considerations:
> Take into account thickness, cut, bone-in/out, cooking preference etc.
> The best steak are ALWAYS cooked on an open flame, not fried. If you don't have an open flame, an indoor grille, (even a George Foreman) will suffice.

Let's say you have a nice strip loin, medium thickness, and you like your steak cooked "medium". Here is the absolute best way:

1. Warm your BBQ to just above medium heat.
2. Lie your steaks down on the BBQ DIAGONALLY, close the BBQ lid and wait 3 minutes.
3. Open lid; rotate steaks 90 degrees. Close lid for another 3 minutes.
4. Open lid; flip steaks. (Make sure they're lying on a diagonal). Close lid for another 3 minutes.
5. Open lid; rotate steaks 90 degrees. Close lid for another 3 minutes.

For a rarer steak, use 2-3 minute intervals. For well done steaks, use up to 4 minute intervals.

The only reason you cook steak on a diagonal, and then rotate them 90 degrees is simply so that you get the nice diamond shape pattern on the finished product.

If you forget all other rules, remember this one (as it is probably the reason you had a tough steak): NEVER EVER flip your steak more than once, EVER.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how to make the perfect steak. Once you've mastered this, then you can experiment with marinades and the like --- but you won't want to. Marinades and spices only mask the true flavour of a steak, so unless you're buying cheap meat, don't waste your time on the fancy additives (flank steak is the ONLY exception).

Enjoy.

G

[Edited 2006-03-07 03:38:36]

EMBQA

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Also, if your store sells dated steak take a good look at that. You need to know what to look for, but aged beef is by far the best. I'll always go there first and find a deal.

boeingfanyyz

Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:28 pm

Just give up and go to your local!!!  wink 

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

GuitrThree

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 23):
Also, if your store sells dated steak take a good look at that. You need to know what to look for, but aged beef is by far the best. I'll always go there first and find a deal.

Ohhh.. good idea. Want a good steak Saturday? Go buy one this Saturday, put it in the fridge, and eat it NEXT Saturday!! I'm always amazed by people who refuse to eat beef that is "out-of-date." I ask them, what do you not understand about the word "aged" in the term "aged beef?" More often than not, I get, "oh, I thought that meant that the cow was an older one [vs. a younger one]." Of course, that comes from the crowd that loves a steak WELL-Done.

The best cooking advise? Couldn't have said it better than Canuckpaxguy...

Quoting Canuckpaxguy (Reply 22):
1. Warm your BBQ to just above medium heat.
2. Lie your steaks down on the BBQ DIAGONALLY, close the BBQ lid and wait 3 minutes.
3. Open lid; rotate steaks 90 degrees. Close lid for another 3 minutes.
4. Open lid; flip steaks. (Make sure they're lying on a diagonal). Close lid for another 3 minutes.
5. Open lid; rotate steaks 90 degrees. Close lid for another 3 minutes.

Warm and slow... not high heat and fast.... unless, of course, you have one of those famous Ruth Chris ovens... they heat to 1,800 degrees, and as much as you try, you will NEVER get a skillet at home anywhere close to that. Always let it rest for a few minutes.

Finally, always serve it never more done than Medium Rare.. Rare is the best, but if you must, go Medium Rare..

To top it off, serve it with a cold beer, ALWAYS in a glass, as that's when it's best. No sense in serving such a great steak and washing it down with a can or bottle.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

yegmaster

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:33 pm

AAA Alberta beef. There is nothing like it.
And trust me, i've consumed a lot of steak.
Cheers

canuckpaxguy

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 25):
Rare is the best, but if you must, go Medium Rare......To top it off, serve it with a cold beer, ALWAYS in a glass, as that's when it's best.

GuitrThree, I think you and I would get along great!

G

Derico

Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:02 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):
I'm sure that as Argentine soy production increases that more of your cattle will be fed in feedlots where all that oilseed cake can be put to good use. One byproduct, if you will, of the rapid development of ethanol plants that are making motor fuel in these parts is a lot of DDGS is freed up for cattle feeding. Cows like the stuff, and the yeast residue increases the nutritional value of the product significantly.

Now. I WILL concede that there's something Argentine cattle have that we do not include in ours. It is available as a no cost extra.

Ethanol is not used in Argentina as fuel. You are confusing the country with Brazil or Iowa and other parts of the US.

And the guy you were adressing this too was a Kiwi!

Anyways...err... There is still lots of place for free range cattle even if soybeans take up more land. Besides I think the Soybean craze is not going to continue forever. It will remain a big crop, but not keep expanding like it is now. Furthermore, new range areas are being opened in the far north east of the Andes, a region that has till now been basically an empty quarter.

So I don't think you will see the kind of feed used in North America applied in Argentina anytime soon.

And why the punch below the waist? If you must be informed, the Foot and Mouth 'outbreak' is in one ranch in one county in a province next to Paraguay and Brazil, where there have been many cases in recent months. It IS possible the infected cow came from there or the disease was brought somehow. It's not the first time it happens, we do share a border with 5 countries.

Afterall, the US stock was hit by Mad Cow from Canada right? So if you guys can't prevent it, why do you condemn ALL Argentine production?

I don't understand your antagonistic sarcastic tone in a very badly applied over-generalization. I don't see you bashing Paraguayan or Brazilian cattle?

But judging from other threads, you don't care much for Argentina  sour 

Smile
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

mirrodie

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 am

great thread. Over the summer, I bought about 5 pounds of filet mignon at Fairway for 5.99 a pound. sustom cut included.

Been experimenting even since but had the best results with the ONE FLIP method. Otherwise, just when I think I have it medium well, I tend to cook it to medium to medium rare. it takes mucho practice.

But I love these marinade ideas above! Big grin

Quoting Msllsmith (Reply 21):
(I recently paid 23.99 for a pound of filet mignon

IIRC, arent you on long island? that is really highly priced. unless that is aged??? you can do better. unless I am mistaken.

I will say this, here is one of life's best experiences:

Back in 1999 and 2000, I visited Torreon Mexico for some pro bono type work. While there, we were invited to a hacienda and neighboring ranch.

Very cool experience. The owner presented 3 horses for us to ride and tour his cattle ranch. We spent an hour looking at cattle and the ranch.

About an hour later, we all sat down for some relatively fresh steak (the steaks practically MOOOOed they were so fresh).

I still have a photo of the steaks on the grill. Each was the size of my forearm. Insane. It was the BEST steak experience ever. But when I went in 99, I ahted it b/c I caought a cold and couldnt taste it. But we did it again in 2000 and it was GREAT

re: steakhouses, esp on Long Island.

Ruth Chris was a bit of a let down. sauteed in butter, right?

Bryant and Cooper in Roslyn is pretty good, nice Chateau Briand.

Blackstone is excellent, and only a few mintues away Big grin

Napa and Somona is a great great.

Tellers in Islip, we're going again in 2 weeks. I salivate at the thought.

But I have yet to hit Mortons nad Peter Luger. Maybe this spring...
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

msllsmith

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:12 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 29):
IIRC, arent you on long island? that is really highly priced. unless that is aged??? you can do better. unless I am mistaken.

Yes Mirrodie I am on Long Island....... and this cow had to be raised on gold dust..... but it was really good!!!! BTW.... the one flip method is the best.

(so have you started flying again? I lost your email address.... and have been distracted by other family stuff)

acho

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 am

Try it marinated in lime, Worcestershire sauce and Maggi Sauce (not sure if this Maggi is available outside Mexico). If you can't get Maggi it doesn't matter, it still tastes great with the first two ingredients. Another great way is to marinate the steak in Jerez.

These two recepies are very common in Mexico.

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:21 am

I like mine medium / rare.

if you like it "very well done / tres bien cuit" you should make cuts into it and frequently add butter, curry, HP1-sauce, soy-sauce, Harissa, and other special sauces, in order to prevent it from drying out. And turn it frequently. It then will become absolutely delicious in the end.  yummy 

comorin

Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:46 am

Quoting Mirrodie (Reply 29):

Wasn't there a Peter Luger in Great Neck? I had a steak for two there 10 years ago - forgot the date but the steak was memorable.

I guess she's probably thinking the same way...

Dougloid

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 32):
if you like it "very well done / tres bien cuit" you should make cuts into it and frequently add butter, curry, HP1-sauce, soy-sauce, Harissa, and other special sauces, in order to prevent it from drying out. And turn it frequently. It then will become absolutely delicious in the end.

Hell, you could do that to a Geneva phone book and it'd taste good.

Dougloid

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting Derico (Reply 28):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 19):

Ethanol is not used in Argentina as fuel.

I know that. Look at what I said. ",...making motor fuel in these parts"

Read before you pull the trigger right?

Everyone knew from the context where I'm from.

And are you disagreeing with what the kiwis said about Argentine beef?

You wanna be careful there Derico-you could get mugged by your homies for not supporting the home team.

The other thing is that we've had one instance of BSE. One frickin' cow. H&M is nothing to sniff about. We don't have it here.

[Edited 2006-03-09 03:59:37]

kiwiinoz

Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:56 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 34):
Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 32):
if you like it "very well done / tres bien cuit" you should make cuts into it and frequently add butter, curry, HP1-sauce, soy-sauce, Harissa, and other special sauces, in order to prevent it from drying out. And turn it frequently. It then will become absolutely delicious in the end.

Hell, you could do that to a Geneva phone book and it'd taste good.

I agree!! If you like the taste of well cooked meat, (which seems odd as it's a pretty weak taste), then fair enough. But if you're going to smother it with all that crap, your wasting your money on good beef! Grab a tin of spam and smother it up!!!!(see "spam" thread)

ME AVN FAN

Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 36):
your wasting your money on good beef!

no, no, good beef really becomes excellent when being "very-well-done", but a good piece of lamb is even better