highpeaklad

Why Did The USA Invade Iraq And Was It Worth It

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:30 am

At the time it was supposed to be because Saddam had WMDs , but thinking back who was threatened by them? He had no missile system capable of flying more than a few hundred miles, so no threat to the US there , and as far as nerve agents and the like go they must be fairly easy to make from a chemicals point of view so surely the threat wasn't any greater than from many other countries.
He had no connections to Al Qaeda so there was no connection to the war on terror.
Considering the hatred that has been stirred up towards the US as a result of the invasion and the mind boggling cost involved would the US not have been better off spending the money on increased security at home and throughout the world?

I realise that this is all with the benefit of hindsight , but especially if you thought it was right to invade at the time, do you think its been worth it?

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

greasespot

RE: Why Did The USA Invade Iraq And Was It Worth It

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:36 am

Well this is simple...Bush supporters are going to say yes because they got rid of Sadam...yadda ryada.....

The bush bashers are going to say no because there were no WMD's..yada yada...

There i hope this clears it up for you. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me...

GS  crazy   drool 
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

AeroWesty

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting Highpeaklad (Thread starter):
who was threatened by them?

The threat, even expressed by former Pres. Clinton at the time, was not only what he had done with them against his own people (the Kurds, remember them?), but also what he could supply to rogue groups in the region.
International Homo of Mystery

Klaus

Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:45 am

Completely implausible, both factually and tactically from Saddam's point of view.

solnabo

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:20 am

To simply answer youre questions:

#1 WMD

#2 No

Micke//SWE  Angry
Airbus SAS - Love them both

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:29 am

Here we go again . . . .

Do you REALLY think this horse needs to be beat yet AGAIN?!

Pardon me, I have to  vomit  before I can stand to get into this one more time.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MaverickM11

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:33 am

Honestly. Why.

Why Did The USA Invade Iraq

"Plastics"
E pur si muove -Galileo

searpqx

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:38 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
Pardon me, I have to vomit before I can stand to get into this one more time.

Why even bother - the main players have all made their positions well known, all the arguments have been presented. This is one of the few times I'd say . ..

DO A SEARCH

I now return you to your dead equine pummeling
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:47 am

Someone call a cop....they're kicking that horse again! Oh, too late...one already responded.

just for the Hell of it, because I hated being referred to a previous thread when I was a newbie here....

We invaded Iraq to prevent them from being able to use or develop WMDs that our intelligence, and others, said they either had ready or were able to make ready in a matter of hours or days. We did not trust the Iraqis, since they had been uncooperative with the inspectors (extremely so, and were acting very suspiciously) and we were faced with a choice to either take their word for it along with the UN members who looked very much like they wanted to get back to doing business with Saddam or physically prevent the Iraqis from being able to wield weapons that could hurt us.

We went the safe route which was to not trust them, and to physically prevent them from being a danger to us or anyone else.

Now.....was it worth it? I think so. We know for sure now that Husseins government doesn't have control over any WMDs, nor can they develop any. We also have been able to liberate an Arab nation from a despot and introduce democracy. There are definitely difficulties and challenges, but we're making progress in many areas (although it's hard for some to admit) in spite of the obvious problems which have recently been exacerbated by outside forces which don't want a democratic Iraq.

We've introduced the concept in the majority of the country that democracy is attainable, and they are working through it. We need to finish the job, because the opportunity to help them develop an alternative to the hopeless existence that feeds and develops terrorists and people willing to attack us is incredibly important.

We took action because we were not willing to put the security of our nation in the hands of people who actively wanted us destroyed, or in the hands of people whose first interests were not in our safety, and we saw the results of waiting for someone to attack us.

It's worth it because we've taken a bad actor off the map, and convinced several others to either change their ways or moderate their tone.

Iran is feeling it's oats because they both fear that the democracy building in their neighbor will undermine the Mullahs and the Revolutionary Council that controls that country, and they think that the same people that wanted to give Iraq time and money will help them now, and they are the next challenge for the world to meet....hopefully peacefully, but if they get close to being nuclear WMD capable I think several nations will hit them with an ultimatum backed by force.

[Edited 2006-03-07 00:49:11]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

ANCFlyer

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:47 am

Start here . . . . a quick 5 minutes searching revealed these threads with the request for "Invade Iraq". Change the search parameters, and you'll get other replies . . .

RE: War On Iraq - An A.net Opinion Poll (by AvObserver Dec 21 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1042132
RE: Interesting News From Iraq (by Seb146 Dec 9 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1029297
What Has The Iraq War Achieved? (by Tbar220 Nov 25 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1015480
RE: Iraq Had No WMD? (by B744F Nov 15 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1002520
RE: "God" Told W To Invade Iraq (by Peterk Oct 9 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID963973

[Edited 2006-03-07 00:49:29]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Bobster2

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:48 am

You have to look at the big picture. Historically, this country was stolen by military force from the people who owned it. Was it worth it? Nobody even asks that question. It doesn't make sense to ask. Now we're running out oil and we'll steal it if we need to by military force. Is it worth it? Check back in 300 years and see if anybody remembers, or cares.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:50 am

Can anyone prove that we're there to steal oil? Or that we have?

Falcon84

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:51 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
The threat, even expressed by former Pres. Clinton at the time, was not only what he had done with them against his own people (the Kurds, remember them?),

He gassed his own people years ago-decades ago; he committed crimes against his own people when Carter, Reagan, Bush 41, Clinton and Bush 43 have been president. So why, after all this time, is what he does to his own people a reason for the U.S., or anyone, to invade Iraq? That was a post-facto excuse, when the real reason was found out to be false.

The real, given reason was WMD, which, as we all now know (well, those of us who aren't blind apologists for this war and this president), they don't exist. That was the stated reason-not one of the reasons, but THE reason. It was false. Then came the post-facto excuses, which were never mentioned to the build up to war.

And has it been worth it? Besides the fact I think we have no choice but to stay, no, it has not. We have a nation on the verge of a possible civil war, while next door, we have a real threat brewing. It hasn't been worth the human nor financial cost. We went after a nation without WMD, while we ignored, for a long while, the nation next door with the real desire and capability to build them.
Work Right, Fly Hard

gunsontheroof

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:51 am

The U.S. invaded Iraq?!?

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 13):
The U.S. invaded Iraq?!?

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

Nordair

Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:56 am

Partially to restore some grace(?) to the family name after Papa Bush failed the first time to get rid of Saddam.

And then...yes, there is this......

http://www.contempl8.net/images/will-kill2.jpg
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

MidnightMike

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:01 am

At the time it was supposed to be because Saddam had WMDs , but thinking back who was threatened by them? He had no missile system capable of flying more than a few hundred miles, so no threat to the US there , and as far as nerve agents and the like go they must be fairly easy to make from a chemicals point of view so surely the threat wasn't any greater than from many other countries.
He had no connections to Al Qaeda so there was no connection to the war on terror.
Considering the hatred that has been stirred up towards the US as a result of the invasion and the mind boggling cost involved would the US not have been better off spending the money on increased security at home and throughout the world?

I realise that this is all with the benefit of hindsight , but especially if you thought it was right to invade at the time, do you think its been worth it?

The United States did not invade on the basis of WMD's alone, that is what the media said, there were numerous reasons why, starting with Iraq violation UN Resolution 1441. In fact the reason that was given was we do not if Iraq had WMD's.

The US & the UK had been involved in Iraq since the 1991 with no chance of an exit plan, now, there is a chance.

The oil for food program was a disgrace and Iraq (Saddam) was finding ways to exploit the program to his advantage.

http://www.un.int/usa/sres-iraq.htm
NO URLS in signature

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 15):
Partially to restore some grace(?) to the family name after Papa Bush failed the first time to get rid of Saddam.

That's such horsecrap. There's no proof that happened, and to continuously repeat that mantra of the loony end of the left is to detract from any valid points you might have to make.

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 16):
The United States did not invade on the basis of WMD's alone, that is what the media said, there were numerous reasons why, starting with Iraq violation UN Resolution 1441. In fact the reason that was given was we do not if Iraq had WMD's.

This is true, but since the left focuses solely on that, and the reality is that the threat of WMDs were the primary reason for acting, I focused my answer on that.

Falcon84

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:16 am

I've always disputed that ill-conceived notion. George H.W. gave his word, before invading Iraq, to the Arab nations in the coalition, that he would not use that war to occupy Iraq and overthrow Saddam. No one could have stopped us, but he held to his word. I gained a lot of respect for the man. He said the mission was to liberate Kuwait, and he stuck to his word. He's had to put up with a lot of grief from Monday-morning Quarterbacks ever since, but I think he did the right thing in keeping his promise.

The United States did not invade on the basis of WMD's alone, that is what the media said

Wrong. That is what Bush, Powell, Cheney, Rumsfelt, Rice, etc and so forth, said over and over and over...and over, before the war-that Iraq constituted an immediate threat to the U.S. If it wasn't THE reason, why wasn't anything else included in 1441? That's just a post-facto bit of disinformation to justify a conflict that lost its justification when it was discovered the real reason was false.

The oil for food program was a disgrace and Iraq (Saddam) was finding ways to exploit the program to his advantage.

Is that a new excuse?
Work Right, Fly Hard

searpqx

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 17):
This is true, but since the left focuses solely on that,

Lets be honest here - the 'left' focuses on WMDs because they were the stick with which we were prodded to war. Iraq's violation of UNR 1441 was given as the reason why a new resolution wasn't needed, and why the coalition was free to act.

You can point to all the other ancillary reasons or justifications you want, but the record clearly shows that Bush & Co used the imminent threat posed Saddam and his existing WMDs as the justification to invade NOW (taken in context of early 2003).

As for the second half of the question - since we're far from knowing the final outcome, I don't think that question can be answered yet. I hope that in the end, what arises in Iraq is indeed worth the deaths and monetary costs.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
He's had to put up with a lot of grief from Monday-morning Quarterbacks ever since, but I think he did the right thing in keeping his promise.

I do too. He was also forced to keep in mind the continued existence of the USSR, as well as the fact that there was no real option for buffering Iran from the Arab world beyond Iraq and the Arab coalition partners were nervous about that, too.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
Wrong. That is what Bush, Powell, Cheney, Rumsfelt, Rice, etc and so forth, said over and over and over...and over, before the war-that Iraq constituted an immediate threat to the U.S. If it wasn't THE reason, why wasn't anything else included in 1441? That's just a post-facto bit of disinformation to justify a conflict that lost its justification when it was discovered the real reason was false.

Go back and read the reasons issued, because it appears you focused...or tunneled on just that aspect.

dl021

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 19):
You can point to all the other ancillary reasons or justifications you want, but the record clearly shows that Bush & Co used the imminent threat posed Saddam and his existing WMDs as the justification to invade NOW (taken in context of early 2003).

I believe I pointed that out later in my post.

luv2fly

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:25 am

And then...yes, there is this......

I have to agree with you here. I always thought that once Bush got elected he would find some way to finish what his Dad did not. With that said I also agree with Falcon84 has said. Myself I always felt that the first Bush only did half the job, though he did do the job he said he was going to.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Falcon84

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:27 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 20):
Go back and read the reasons issued, because it appears you focused...or tunneled on just that aspect.

That's because, Ian, so did the administration. Time and time again, we were told of this imminent threat; this "fact" that Saddam could launch an attack 45 minutes after he gave the order; that they had tons of WMD, when in fact he had none.

I'm not focusing on it, I'm merely keeping history in proper perspective-it was the only reason given for the war.
Work Right, Fly Hard

stuckinMAF

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:41 am

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

Falcon84

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:45 am

Nice picture, MAF?  rotfl 
Work Right, Fly Hard

UH60FtRucker

Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:45 am

ANC and DL021 are correct... this subject has been beaten to death. Let it rest.

I'm not going to speak about why we went in, but this is why we are still there:

We still carry the fight because they're death was not hollow and they died fighting for something they believed in. We're not going to let them down.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

cairo

Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:40 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):
Start here . . . . a quick 5 minutes searching revealed these threads with the request for "Invade Iraq". Change the search parameters, and you'll get other replies . . .

When mistakes are painful, people prefer not to talk about it, especially when they are married to defending the mistake because of ideological loyalty to a political party or the sanctity of the US military.

It's amazing that people who don't want a topic discussed always have to be sure and participate in a thread by telling people to shut up - instead of just ignoring the thread the way grown ups do when topics come up they don't want to discuss.

When people stop dying and the government stops taking $5 billion a month* out of our collective paychecks, I'll be happy to stop talking about it and will in fact "give it a rest."

if you thought it was right to invade at the time, do you think its been worth it?

I absolutely thought it was right at the time, sitting in Dallas and about to move overseas for the first time working for an airline very concerned about middle east based terrorism.

I remember specifically the "it's like stopping Hitler" (don't offer appeasment like Chamberlain in 1938) argument holding a lot of weight with me.

Basically, I had a lot of trust in the president and believed he would weigh all the evidence and wouldn't commit to war unless there was a serious WMD threat and probably a connection to 9-11.

Now, of course it has not been worth it. There ARE benefits that come from invading Iraq, of course, but they are outweighed by the costs.

Another disturbing thought became apparent when so many people continued to stick by a failed policy for so long because they love their political party or love the military. Some even said that changing your mind about something later proven a mistake (like Iraq) - was somehow weak or unpatriotic. Bush in fact continues to say that criticizing the war is almost treason.

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
Iran is feeling it's oats because

...the US is tied up in Iraq and Bush's approval ratings are at record lows. Only the most serious and violent act by Iran will justify US military action against Iran (which would require a draft) among the American people.

Iran can do whatever they want now, short of an aggressive war, because the US wasted its immediate military threat removing the US installed dicator Saddam Hussein. It's all a tragic and deadly irony that a politically motivated invasion of Iraq (ostensibly justifed by WMD) now practically hamstrings the US from doing anything about a real threat to Israel and world peace who, without a doubt, is developing WMD - Iran.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 12):
We went after a nation without WMD, while we ignored, for a long while, the nation next door with the real desire and capability to build them.

Iran is ten times the threat Saddam ever was. Saddam was a pragmatist and cared first and foremost about his own survival. He was bought off for years by the US and could be bought off again at any time. The Iranians can't be bought.

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 22):
I always thought that once Bush got elected he would find some way to finish what his Dad did not.

Regime change in Iraq was on the agenda from day one.** This may or may not been the right thing to do at the time - but an honest discussion about it would have worked better than the WMD reason and attempted fabrications (yellowcake) about WMD.

Cairo

*http://nationalpriorities.org/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=182
**www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/01/10/oneill.bush/

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting Cairo (Reply 27):
When mistakes are painful, people prefer not to talk about it, especially when they are married to defending the mistake because of ideological loyalty to a political party or the sanctity of the US military.

Mistake my fat ass . . . .

"When mistakes are painful, people prefer not to talk about it" and when the gawddamn horse is dead, it's frickin' dead - people quit shooting at it.

This horse is dead, been dead, gonna stay dead . . . .

Waste YOUR time talking about all you want. It'll be the same old shit by the same people over and over and over and over - personally- I've better thnigs to do than rehash old news.

Like I tell every other dead horse beater on A-Net - come up with something new and I'll debate it til hell freezes over - otherwise, you're boring the hell outta me.

Here . . . . read this and have at it.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 9):

RE: War On Iraq - An A.net Opinion Poll (by AvObserver Dec 21 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1042132
RE: Interesting News From Iraq (by Seb146 Dec 9 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1029297
What Has The Iraq War Achieved? (by Tbar220 Nov 25 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1015480
RE: Iraq Had No WMD? (by B744F Nov 15 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1002520
RE: "God" Told W To Invade Iraq (by Peterk Oct 9 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID963973

Klaus

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):
This horse is dead, been dead, gonna stay dead . . . .

The horse wil be dead when and only when people stop justifying the invasion in a way which can only lead to one conclusion: They would do it again!

As things stand now, at least a part of the shrinking support base of the Bush administration is ready to ride this "dead horse" to war again at the next opportunity.

And that is why each of its moldy bones needs to be broken and stomped to dust until the Bush apologists can't fit their saddle onto it any more.

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:59 am

Klaus . . . I don't always agree with you, but your opinions are ones I respect . . .

Even you must recognize a dead animal in the road.

Like I said to Cairo - when there's something new I'd love to discuss it. For now - all we'll do is retake old terrain - WMD, Saddam, No WMD, Al Queda, No Al Queda . . . over and over. I don't see the point.

You're a smart man - surely you can figure this out . . . .

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:05 am

Reasons for the USA to invade Iraq :
> Iraqis drove French motor cars
> Iraqi seaports and airports were NOT managed by Haliburton
> the Iraqi armed forces used Russian and French equipment
> Iraqi industry worked with Russian and French equipment
> Iraq wanted its oil to be paid in Euro instead of US-Dollars
> Iraq did NOT allow the USA to establish airbases
> Mr al-Takriti opposed fundamentalism
---
to depose Mr al-Takriti from power was a positive move, but one that could have been done by a well organized coup d'etat. That way, there would not have been so much destruction, not so many deads, and not so much chaos as in the way chosen, and some of the aims above might partially have been achieved .

Klaus

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 30):

Sure. But I'm not one of those who claim it was alive and ready for its next outing!

mt99

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
or in the hands of people whose first interests were not in our safety

Like the good people of Dubai who might end up running US ports?

Quoting DL021 (Reply 11):

It has been said in here before: "We didnt do it for the oil, but for the oil companies"

Just because something is a dead horse, how does that make it irrelavant? The US civil war can be considered a Dead Horse too, yet people still discuss it to this date.

Do we have to wait for you to decleare it a "Dead Horse?". Who died and made you the village dead-horse-declarer?
Step into my office, baby

dl021

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 33):
Quoting DL021 (Reply 11):

It has been said in here before: "We didnt do it for the oil, but for the oil companies"

OK...which oil companies are benefitting from this that would not have benefitted otherwise, and how are they connected to the current administration?

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 33):
Quoting DL021 (Reply 8):
or in the hands of people whose first interests were not in our safety

Like the good people of Dubai who might end up running US ports?

Well, for starters the facilities management issue is a red herring. It's been blown completely out of proportion (hell the company would not even control entire facilities in most cases, and they already run ports around the world), and the security of the ports would not be in their hands.

Klaus . . . I don't always agree with you, but your opinions are ones I respect . . .

Change that always to usually and interject another usually in front of respect and I'll add a "ditto".

Quoting Cairo (Reply 27):
It's all a tragic and deadly irony that a politically motivated invasion of Iraq (ostensibly justifed by WMD) now practically hamstrings the US from doing anything about a real threat to Israel and world peace who, without a doubt, is developing WMD - Iran.

I'll have to agree with the fact that our participation in Iraq and Afghanistan does prevent us from easily taking part in action against Iran if it proves necessary. We can always strike them with air, and other nations could certainly participate in that, but an outright invasion of Iran (which would require occupation) would certainly have been beyond our existing means without a large coalition. Iran's military has not been starved the way Iraq's was for a decade, and their population would not be any easier to deal with if they felt that they were being wronged.

mt99

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 34):
they connected to the current administration?

Thats a loaded question.

How are oil companies connected to current administration? That question has enough debate in itself to be its own thread.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 33):
the good people of Dubai who might end up running US ports

they are NOT to "end up" in running those ports, but simply running (managing) these ports alongside all the other ports they manage around the globe. And security is NOT the matter of the management company

Quoting DL021 (Reply 34):
the security of the ports would not be in their hands.

many people refuse to accept that security and customs control is NOT in the hand of management and handling companies

mt99

Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 36):
they are NOT to "end up" in running those ports, but simply running (managing) these ports alongside all the other ports they manage around the globe. And security is NOT the matter of the management company

I know.. i was just being sarcarstic with my comments. I think that they are completly capable of doing a great job.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:40 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 37):
being sarcarstic

I realised the sarcasm, but felt irked in a way, and could NOT resist ......

tu204

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:17 pm

IN MY OPINION I do not know why the U.S. invaded a sovereign country and none of us know the answer to that question - the only ones that do are the ones that planned this invasion (Bush, Rumsfeld and their buddies) and the deaths of the thousands of innocent Iraqis and American soldiers (who are in fact innocent, it is not their fault that they were deployed there and used as pawns) will be on their conscience. I think that my answer to #1 answers #2 pretty well.
That is my opinion.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov