ryanb741

Made To Measure Clothes Vs Off The Shelf

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:59 am

Hi all

Just a quick poll really to see for those of you who wear suits and shirts for work, who gets their clothes specially tailored as opposed to buying 'off the shelf'.

As for me, since I switched to bespoke tailored suits a couple of years ago I haven't looked back. My favourite suitmaker is Gieves and Hawkes on Savile Row, London, although Kilgour French and Stanbury (again Savile Row) make distinctive suits and I have one of theirs also.

As for shirts I have a mixture of bespoke and ready to wear. I get my bespoke shirts from Turnbull & Asser on Jermyn Street, and off the shelf shirts from Thomas Pink, Hackett, Roderick Charles and TM Lewin. Whilst the T&A shirts are fantastic, they are very pricey and the off the shelf shirts from the other shirtmakers are of a suitably high quality (and English shirts in the Jermyn Street style are the best formal shirts in the world bar none).

Would be interested in hearing from others out there as to your gentleman's wardrobes.
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

atct

RE: Made To Measure Clothes Vs Off The Shelf

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:28 am

I have a couple suits purchased "Off the rack" at local stores n such. I also have one suit that was tailor-made in BKK when I was there. The Tailor made one fits great, but one of my off the rack suits I like the best. Dark blue with very faded pinstripes. (can barely see the stripes). Anywho thats my two cents!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

BMIFlyer

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 1):
I also have one suit that was tailor-made in BKK

So do I Big grin

I had 2 suits made up for me when I was there a few weeks ago. They fit me perfectly  Smile

I also have another suit which I got "off the shelf" a year ago and it was slightly bigger than I wanted it to be, but it did the job.

Anyway, tailored is the way to go Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Cadet57

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:36 am

I have one suit. From a local tailor who custom makes a suit then tailors it to you, if that makes any sense  crazy  But I have an off the rack Air Force blues uniform and it doesnt fit at all.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

UAL747

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:40 am

There is a place in Tulsa where I get my suits made called Bashera's. But I have gotten several suits and a tux made by a tailor at the Ritz-Carlton in Hong Kong. It's nice to go there and have custom fitted suits made from scratch in only 3 days! LOL, but you do have to feel a little sorry for the Chinese sweat shop children that do the work. But, I've also bought off the rack as well. The bad part about buying off the rack is that I have really broad shoulders and a broad back, so I always have to find the "Italian cut" or "Athletic cut" suits to fit me, otherwise, the waist is too wide. I need the "V" shape.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

9VSPO

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:04 am

There's a tailor in Patong, Phuket called James Bond, I kid you not and I got four silk ties for less than two quid! Big grin

ShyFlyer

Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:36 am

If I had the funds, I'd go with tailor made suits. The only time I've ever had tailor made clothing was when I was in Junior ROTC.

Buying off the rack generally doesn't pose a problem, except when it comes to pants. I have a narrow waist for my height, so I sometimes run into problems finding pants that are correct length.
I lift things up and put them down.