AR385
Topic Author

Remodelling Your House Or Hiring Contractors

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:24 am

I thought it would be nice to remodel the house I bought a few months ago. But know I am getting tired of the job. Last week I cut my finger. Today I fell backwards on the tile floor in the bathroom and hit the back of my head whith the top edge of the tub.

So now I am bleeding from inside my left ear and feel so sleepy I'm going home to take a nap. I'll have to take a cab, as I'm also kind of dizzy. A day wasted.

I'm not a klutz, I have experience around houses in dismal states, but probably I'm rusty. So, what do you do? Your own remodeling, or contractors?

sccutler

RE: Remodelling Your House Or Hiring Contractors

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:31 am

Start small, work your way up. Great thing about a house, it is unlikely that you kill it, if you mess up, just slap on some "pookie" (plaster, drywall mud, mortar, whatever it is that best matches the texture of your home's materials) and start over.

Tile work is really great, when you practice a little bit, get it right, and you are such a stud for your awesome skills. If you have a wife, it's bound to improve your chances. If you know what I mean.

Be careful with electricity. Trust me on this.

And, if nothing works, then hire it done (as we sometimes say here in Texas).
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

andessmf

Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 pm

Cuidado, AR385!

I learned my lesson long time ago, but if I can do it I will. Most of the time the contractor will cost you more, but will spend a lot less time doing.

The only thing I can do more of is electricity! But since I work as an electrical engineer, I have a bit more experience.

HT

Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:19 pm

Smaller things I usually do on my own or with some help of family.
However, recently I had hired contractors for the following:
- I had to replace my house´s roofing tiles (made of clay); this included a proper insulation againts heat ond cold.
- Got a new carpet in my living room laid (the room is L-shaped plus features several unregular-shaped solid cutins. Including a layer of insulation beneath the new carpet, this was 300 EUR of working costs (the room was completely empty before the contractor came) while the carpet itself was much more expensive. So for the little extra costs I had assurance that everything would go okay and if the contractor would have made an error cutting the new carpet, he would have had to replace it - If I would have made the error, I would have had to pay for a second carpet ...

Bottomline:
I really think twice before starting work on my own, that I´m not convinced that I can carry it out on my own.
My point of view: "For all difficult jobs, there are professionals out there who know what & how to do this. Also they can do the job faster than I can do ...".
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

prosa

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:49 pm

Doing your own remodelling work is fine IF you are certain that you've got the skills to see the job through until completion. That includes dealing with any unexpected snags that may arise. If you find yourself stalled partway through and have to hire a contractor to finish the work, you can rest assured that you're not going to get a decent price. Contractors love that sort of work because they have much more pricing ability than they do when would-be customers approach them at the beginning.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

scott2187

Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:52 pm

we opted to do it ourselves a few years ago when my father decided he wanted to remodel...it's fairly easy if you know what you're doing. drywall can be a pain when you're sanding it tho.

Quoting SCCutler (Reply 1):
Be careful with electricity. Trust me on this.

you don't want to find this out the hard way. trust me on that one.
“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”

yooyoo

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:04 am

I do everything myself except for the roughing in of mechanical and electrical work.

All finishes can be done by either my wife or me.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

Fokker Lover

Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:55 am

You hit your head, and are bleeding from the ear? Six replies and nobody has said don't go to sleep? Sounds like a concussion to me.
P.S. I built my entire house myself. Loved every minute of it.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

MD11Engineer

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:27 am

I just entered the thread now, but I advise you to see a doctor ASAP. Bleeding from the ear after hitting the head could mean that you cracked the base of the skull, a possibly life threatening condition.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

yowza

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:32 am

I do small stuff around the house myself. For bigger things it's better to get a more able person to do things for me. I know my limits.

YOWza

Pope

Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:38 am

Dude, don't ever take a nap after a serious head injury. You might not wake up.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

AR385
Topic Author

Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:56 pm

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 7):
You hit your head, and are bleeding from the ear? Six replies and nobody has said don't go to sleep? Sounds like a concussion to me.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 8):
I just entered the thread now, but I advise you to see a doctor ASAP. Bleeding from the ear after hitting the head could mean that you cracked the base of the skull, a possibly life threatening condition.

Quoting Pope (Reply 10):
Dude, don't ever take a nap after a serious head injury. You might not wake up.

Well, I thank you for all the medical advice. I grew up in a very rough environment so I thought nothing of those injuries, I just added that anecdote to illustrate my difficulties in the house.

I did went to the doctor when my girlfriend saw me sleeping 14 hours straight and the bleeding ear. Call me stubborn, but I still waited three more days.

When I finally went, he sent me straight to a neurologist. What can I say? After he ordered and saw my head MRI and other study an another cranium study he told me that only 1 out of 10 people with my injuries survive. So, the house finally went to the contractors, as I've been ordered bed rest for 15 days, no alcohol, no driving and no sex. He said that from what the MRI showed, I was a walking miracle. An exageration, obviously, but, I'll listen to him.

AsstChiefMark

Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:03 pm

I remodelled my house that I bought it at a foreclosure auction. After 14 months of work, I moved in. I did all the electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, concrete, lumberwork, trim, cabinets, carpet, vinyl, ceramic floor tile, windows, doors, furance, central air conditioning, and landscaping by myself. It was fun and well worth it.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail