EWS
Topic Author

More Surgery Tomorrow..

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:08 am

Hi All,

Following the recent ups and downs over the past few months with the other incident. Ive made enough recovery to proceed with another operation. Some of you may remember a thread a while back about me asking for ACL cruciate ligament information, well it was for me.

The doctors here said it would be a good idea now im out of any danger with my existing injuries to go-ahead with the ACL replacement as it would forcibly make me rest as i wouldnt be able to walk.

So tomorrows the day, I'm heading over to sheffield tonight for surgery first thing in the morning. Keeping my fingers crossed yet again and hoping that its not as bad as ive been told.

Thanks,

Lew

mhodgson

RE: More Surgery Tomorrow..

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:15 am

I thought it had been stated that you weren't Lew?

Ah well, glad your improving again. Sounds as though you're well on the road to recovery.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

aerobalance

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting EWS (Thread starter):
existing injuries to go-ahead with the ACL replacement as it would forcibly make me rest as i wouldnt be able to walk.

Great, then after your rehab I expect you to be in training for the marathon - London 2012 is just around the corner!  Wink
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

jafa39

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:14 am

Sitting on your arse for days on end will be far worse than the surgery, I know a couple of skiers who have had ACL surgery, they are very proud of their "Bionic Knees" and reckoned it was worth the effort.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

airbusA346

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:29 am

I thought it was said that EWS wasn't you Lew, but good to see you are back on A.net.

And why have you come back as EWS, not TFSPhoto.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

redngold

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:42 am

I thought it was that Lew asked for information for "a friend."
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1120586

Anyhooo best wishes EWS. You'll be in my prayers.  pray 
Up, up and away!

9VSPO

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:11 am

I'm heading over to sheffield tonight for surgery

Why do you have to go to Sheffield???

EWS
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:53 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 4):
And why have you come back as EWS, not TFSPhoto.

I messed up when trying to come back, my ex partner actually deleted my account with the help of someone, who i still dont know, and i couldnt get back with that username so i had to sign up with a new one.

Quoting Redngold (Reply 5):
I thought it was that Lew asked for information for "a friend."
http://www.airliners.net/discussions/non_aviation/read.main/1120586

Anyhooo best wishes EWS. You'll be in my prayers

Yeah with my current condition from my previous injuries, at the time i didnt want to get everyone going like what happened in the threads, people saying that my medical information was false and such comments, it upset me no end and i didnt want folks to be coming back saying that it wouldnt be possible to have this, as it would cause me only more heartache.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 6):
Why do you have to go to Sheffield???

Im being paid by the NHS to go private, in sheffield. Its either i took the operation on the 16th March at sheffield or i be placed on yet another waiting list for the operation to conducted at Scunthorpe.. I think my choice was a little obvious.

--

Im heading over to sheffield now not to sure when ill be back as i dont know time-scales for this kind of surgery. Thanks all and see you all shortly.

Lew

airbusA346

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:20 pm

Quoting EWS (Reply 7):
I messed up when trying to come back, my ex partner actually deleted my account with the help of someone, who i still dont know, and i couldnt get back with that username so i had to sign up with a new one.

Thats Odd, why would it allow Lew to sign up again with the old username.

And how the heck and why would they want to delete your username.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

gkirk

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:22 pm

Welcome back Lew, hope everything goes well for you  Smile
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

flyingbabydoc

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:38 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed yet again and hoping that its not as bad as ive been told.

Hi Lew, glad that you made a fast recovery. This surgery you are about to undergo is way easier than the ones you endured before - it will not hurt everytime you breath! You really need to rest your knee afterwards, and when it is healed a good physiotherapy program should bring you back to your normal self.

Quoting EWS (Reply 7):
people saying that my medical information was false and such comments, it upset me no end and i didnt want folks to be coming back saying that it wouldnt be possible to have this, as it would cause me only more heartache.

Do you think people did that? I was under the impression that people in here were all trying to support you and finding it unbelievable the "via crucis" you had to go through, but not doubting what was happening.
Besides, not possible in Medicine does not exist. Everything is possible. You are having a S...y year, that is for sure - but this happens to a lot of people.

Anyways, I wish you all the best. If I can help you any further, just IM me.

Alex
Marriage is the art of turning a lover into a relative

Aleksandar

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:48 am

Good to see you back, Lew. Welcome back  bigthumbsup 

Wish you all the best with the knee surgery. I hope you'll have some hot nurses to take care of you there in Sheffield.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

FrancoBlanco

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:05 am

Best wishes from me, too!

I am sure everything will work out fine!

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

yooyoo

Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:20 am

Hey Lew, about time you listened to everybody and got better !!  Wink  Wink  Wink

ACL injury is nasty. I know of a friend that had great success with his surgery.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 am

Hi All,

Just to let you all know im home, had surgery yesterday morning under a spinal anesthetic, so i was awake throughout the operation and watched the whole proceedure on a TV screen. Very cool..  Smile

Couldnt feel my legs while this morning but i took my first steps again on crutches and mangaed to do half a flight of strairs too. It's very painful at the moment and ive been laid on the sofa since i got home about 2 hours ago.

Here's some photo's..

The room..

After i came out the operation, complete with drain!

Taken last night after a few hours rest, and yes, its a a.net t-shirt!

And taken about 20 minutes ago by Jade..

Thanks everyone yet again and speak to you all soon.

Lew

9VSPO

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:12 am

wave 

Look after yourself Sir!  Smile

Get a few beers down your neck tonight in front of the box! Big grin

FrancoBlanco

Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:55 am

Lew,

Did you manage to get some screenshots of your surgery? Did they use a hamstring graft?

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

airbusA346

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:25 am

Good to here you doing OK Lew  Smile

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 16):
Lew,

Did you manage to get some screenshots of your surgery? Did they use a hamstring graft?

Hey Sabastian,

Yes the used the hamstring graft, that was the only part i didnt see on the camera/TV device. I did however see him taking it out my leg in the reflection off the lights hanging from the ceeling. The images above are taken with my mobile phone which i was allowed to have turned on in the hosptial as i was in a private suite (own room, toilet shower and tv e.t.c.) other then that the surgeon went through the whole proceedure with me, talking me through it and showed me my damage ligament before he minced it and removed it.

Thanks to everyone else, ill keep you all updated on my progression with this and my existing injuries.

Lew

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 17):
Good to here you doing OK Lew

Getting there Tom, many thanks.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 15):
Get a few beers down your neck tonight in front of the box!

Not allowed nothing for the next 7 days! I very rarley drink anyway but still, thats not the point, many thanks Ian.

Lew

gkirk

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:16 am

Good to see your at home Lew, and it was nice talking to ye on the phone yesterday also.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 20):
Good to see your at home Lew, and it was nice talking to ye on the phone yesterday also.

Thanks Graham, sorry i was a little groggy i'd only been back up from theatre a hour or so, i couldnt feel my legs or middle body area and i was very tired. Was good to speak with you also though.

Lew

airbusA346

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 19):
Not allowed nothing for the next 7 days!

Take it, thats becuase they have dosed you up good style.  drunk   drunk 

Did they dose you up a bit, when they were doing it or did they just numb your bottom half.

Tom.

MYT332

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:21 am

Good to see you doing well Lew, sorry I got the dates of the op mixed up but oh well!

Have fun lying on the couch, Sky+ will help you thru it.
One Life, Live it.

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 22):
Did they dose you up a bit, when they were doing it or did they just numb your bottom half.

They gave me a spinal anesthetic which completely numbed from my chest down, couldn't feel a thing.. was ace until the anesthetic wore off this morning!

Lew

airbusA346

Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:27 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 24):
They gave me a spinal anesthetic which completely numbed from my chest down, couldn't feel a thing.. was ace until the anesthetic wore off this morning!

I had something similar to that, after I had my two ops last year on my legs and hips, didn't do a lot of help for me  Sad

How are you accessing A.net, and I know it is a computer, I ma asking becuase you said you were on the sofa.

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 25):
How are you accessing A.net, and I know it is a computer, I ma asking becuase you said you were on the sofa.

Hey Tom, last night i was at the pc, sat in the chair as this is far more comfier then being laid down the laptop, the only downside to this is i have to keep my leg elivated and thats a problem so ive gone back to sitting upright on the sofa with a stool supporting my leg whilst i play on the laptop..

Cheers for now,

Lew

EWS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:02 pm

Sebastian,

We took the tubigrip off last night and this is what i've had done, obviously you will know what each hole is for.. but i presume my surgeon did it right!  rotf 

Lew

FrancoBlanco

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:55 pm

I´d also say he did everything right. Don´t be bothered by all these "holes". It may look worringly when you see it the first time, but you´ll hardly see the scars in a few months, except the biggest one (below your knee). But this one will look cool, too.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 28):
I´d also say he did everything right. Don´t be bothered by all these "holes". It may look worryingly when you see it the first time, but you´ll hardly see the scars in a few months, except the biggest one (below your knee). But this one will look cool, too.

Excellent that's reassuring to know. Ive seen the holes when they replaced the dressings at the hospital before i left when i had the drain removed and to be quite honest i was very shocked, i still was unable to feel my legs completely so it didn't hurt when i looked if that makes sense.

I've just spent the last hour with Jade trying to put the tubigrip back on which the told me to remove when i sleep overnight, I tried to pull it back onto the leg but this causes great amounts of pain and i couldn't do it as it brought me to tears in pain. At the hospital they used like a steel hollow cage, almost like a fruit holder or something along the lines of that description, can anyone recommend anything i can use to apply the tubigrip as it has to run up my leg, and then fold over and run back down the leg so its doubled.. I was trying to think of ABFemme, i think her names Claire but can't quite remember to see if she has any tips or tricks.

I tried to use a plant pot with the bottom cut off, but the tubigrip just slides straight off it and sent a jolt of pain up my leg, so i also gave up on that idea also.

Thanks in anticipation,

Lew

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 29):
I was trying to think of ABFemme, i think her names Claire but can't quite remember to see if she has any tips or tricks.

Yeah Lew, it is Claire (ABfemme).

I think she is doing her shift at the hospital and will probably be on A.net tonight, you will have to see what see says.

You would think the hospital could lend you one of the steel cages, until you don't need to wear a tubegrip.

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 30):
You would think the hospital could lend you one of the steel cages, until you don't need to wear a tubigrip.

To be quite honest i totally forgot to ask about it, as it was already on and i didn't think about it, i just remembered the obvious such as pain killers, dressings and such. I knew Claire worked in the hospitals so i wondered from her experience does she know anything that could do it, or can i get something from a hospital to do it? It's not very likely i can go back to Sheffield where i had the operation done as its over 50 miles away and the car journey was very unpleasant so i really don't feel up to that again.

Lew

[Edited 2006-03-18 18:03:42]

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 31):

Can't you get Jade to go to your local GP/Nurse or hospital and see what they say or can do.

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 32):
Can't you get Jade to go to your local GP/Nurse or hospital and see what they say or can do.

Yes i suppose i could but i was just trying to see if there's anything in the home that can be used, because i don't want her to have a wasted trip as at the hospital they tried several different devices and neither of them worked and ended up using this cage device, i don't want to have a wasted device and i certainly don't want to have to go up to the hospital with her, its bad enough getting out of bed trying to get to the toilet.

Lew

Edit: darn quote tags are messing up

[Edited 2006-03-18 18:17:53]

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:35 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 33):

You could ring them up first, so you/or Jade don't go there for no reason.

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 34):
You could ring them up first, so you/or Jade don't go there for no reason.

We tried that already Tom they said that we had to go in ourselves, but im really in no position to leave the house.

Lew

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:34 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 35):
We tried that already Tom they said that we had to go in ourselves, but im really in no position to leave the house.

Did you speak to Claire or not to see what she said.

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 36):
Did you speak to Claire or not to see what she said.

No not yet Tom.. I presume she's either at work or having a night away from the PC, I've sent her a private message but if anyone has her on MSN, ask her to add me, anyone else can too..  tombstone  lew 'at' tfsphoto.com  tombstone  (Replace 'at' with @)

Lew

MYT332

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:04 pm

Lew you think you're brave having all those operations? Mate, try travelling Transpennine Express. They'll either try to give you hepatitis from the dirty bogs, DVT from the cramped seats or try to make your train's engine explode or catch fire and make you evacuate in the middle of Yorkshire! Well, that's what happened to me yesterday at least.  Smile
One Life, Live it.

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:50 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 38):
Lew you think you're brave having all those operations? Mate, try travelling Transpennine Express. They'll either try to give you hepatitis from the dirty bogs, DVT from the cramped seats or try to make your train's engine explode or catch fire and make you evacuate in the middle of Yorkshire! Well, that's what happened to me yesterday at least.

ROTFLMFAO

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 38):
Mate, try travelling Transpennine Express. They'll either try to give you hepatitis from the dirty bogs, DVT from the cramped seats or try to make your train's engine explode or catch fire and make you evacuate in the middle of Yorkshire! Well, that's what happened to me yesterday at least.

Yep the freaky thing is, have you seen the new box office release?

rotf 

Lew

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:05 pm

Quoting EWS (Reply 40):

Even More ROTFLMFAO.

Good one Lew.

Tom.

MYT332

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Quoting EWS (Reply 40):
Yep the freaky thing is, have you seen the new box office release?

That's great! Where is that photo from though? I look drunk! I actully do believe the trains are out to get me as of late, it's worrying actually!

[Edited 2006-03-19 13:10:53]
One Life, Live it.

airbusA346

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 42):
That's great! Where is that photo from though? I look drunk! I actully do believe the trains are out to get me as of late, it's worrying actually!

Alex, here you go:

Big version: Width: 1000 Height: 667 File size: 490kb

MAN Meet 2005

Tom.

EWS
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting AirbusA346 (Reply 43):
Alex, here you go

MAN Meet 2005

Yep, thats the one and the rest of the drunks and ladies can be found: http://www.tfsphoto.com/gallery/anetmeet.php

Also, first time ive seen this properly..

Lew

[Edited 2006-03-19 14:16:01]

trekster

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:41 pm

LOL, thanks for that lew

When is the movie out:P

Glad ya gettin better
Where does the time go???

ABfemme

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:16 am

Hi Lew

I just sent you a message

Regards

Claire

wave 
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

9VSPO

Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 45):
http://www.tfsphoto.com/gallery/anetmeet.php

Why is Myt332 in a suit? Was he due in court that day?  boggled 

EWS
Topic Author

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:02 am

Quoting ABfemme (Reply 46):
Hi Lew

I just sent you a message

Regards

Claire

Hi Claire, Many thanks for the information ill give that a try when Jade returns tonight. They made it look so simple with that cage device that i didnt even know what they had done in the hospital haha. Many thanks again.

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 47):
Why is Myt332 in a suit? Was he due in court that day?

Yes Ian, im afriad so, full story can be read here: BBC News

Lew

9VSPO

Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting EWS (Reply 48):

Crack Dealer
Serial Masturbator
Sheep Molester
Phantom Shitter
Hacker
Prostitute