fxramper

Man Hits His Own Car Then Sues Himself.

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:48 am

shameful.  mad 

lread!

ANCFlyer

RE: Man Hits His Own Car Then Sues Himself.

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:50 am

Ha Ha Ha . . . .

Gotta love it - only in America . . . .

sarcastic 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MDorBust

Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:58 am

...an odd legal question popped into my mind.

Does she even have legal grounds to file the suit on?

If the vehicle is in his name, she has no claim to it and can't file for damages against the property... being as it's not her property. If the vehicle is in her name... how did he file the first case... and if it's jointly registered, there isn't any case at all since he caused the damage.

And now for question two: under California law, can the city counter sue the couple to recover legal expenses from a case that is obviously frivolous?

[Edited 2006-03-16 21:58:59]
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

ANCFlyer

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 2):
If the vehicle is in his name, she has no claim to it and can't file for damages against the property... being as it's not her property.

As mentioned in the article - California is a Community Property State, therefore, the suit is legal. . . . what's his is hers; what's hers is his; yadda, yadda, yadda. . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Korg747

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:00 am

I've also decided that I'm going to go sue a bee that bit me yesterday...wait the bee is dead...I'll sue it's owners!
Please excuse my English!

Francoflier

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:06 am

California is a crazy place indeed, full of crazy people, who BTW elected a governor to their image...

Hehe, I had to throw a little oil on the fire, this is too boring....

bomb 
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Mexicana757

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting FXramper (Thread starter):

rotfl  This guy should sue himself for being stupid. Maybe this was intentional, you know trying to get some money out of the state.  silly 

LTU932

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:15 am

I am lost for words. How is it even possible that a man sues himself and the court doesn't toss the suit. We're talking about the plaintiff being at the same time the defendant.

I'm truely baffled.

Francoflier

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:22 am

Too bad you can't sue someone for being a Dumba$$....
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

BMIFlyer

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:25 am

LMFAO  laughing 

What a dumb a$$  silly 

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

Jean Leloup

Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:31 am

This is indeed pretty funny, but I think we are missing some details. If, for instance, the reason he ended up backing into his car had something to do with the city's inadequate training of its dump-truck drivers, or if he had been required to turn the truck around in an unsafe space, etc., then I could certainly see a sense in which the city (and it's policies, procedures, training, etc.) would be at least partly responsible. But if it's simply his negligence, then that's different.

But to use my point in a more obvious example, let's say he was just driving by his house with the truck, and some gravel fell out of the truck because there were holes in the tarp or the side of the truck, or because there were chunks of gravel being thrown up by the tires, etc., and his car was damaged by the rocks. In that case it would certainly seem to be the city's fault, and not his negligence.

So I think the merits of this case would depend on just why and how he ended up damaging his car. In some cases, the city would seem to bear some responsibility, in others not.

JL

[Edited 2006-03-16 22:43:56]
Next flight.... who knows.

bill142

Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:28 am

Should be a simple insurance matter. If he was driving a vehicle owned by the city, then the owner of the hit vehicle, even if its owned by the person driving the city owned vehicle has the right to claim.