Garri767
Topic Author

How Do You Feel About The Death Penalty?

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:05 pm

In my humble opinion , If you INTENIONALLY kill someone (without them trying to kill you and you doing it in self defense) its the old saying, an eye for an eye ( in this case a life for a life). however it if isnt Intentional murder as in 2nd degree (like shaking a baby and it dies which has actually happened) i say the death penalty shouldnt go. Whats your feeling on this?
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

CaptainJon

RE: How Do You Feel About The Death Penalty?

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:08 pm

No matter what was done, or how heinous the crime is, i find the death penalty to be disgusting as the original crime itself.

b757300

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:27 pm

I fully support the death penalty for those convicted of either premeditated murder, murder in commission of another crime, treason, or terrorism.

I would also support it for child rapists as those kind of scum have demonstrated over and over that they will not stop.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

uadc8contrail

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:33 pm

captainjon,
would you feel the same if someone did some nasty things to --your--family member?????im for the death penalty--and--have a brother in a federal pen for some really bad stuff(did not involve kids or sex)but none the less he needs to pay for his dealings with drugs,a motorcycle gand and some mafia guys...and alot of people are affected by what he and his thugs did...fry them
bus driver.......move that bus:)

cairo

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:36 pm

The death penalty is wrong for me because I believe the New Testament of the Bible and I don't think Jesus would kill anyone, ever. It isn't our place to take a life, ever. God will determine justice.

I think it is the height of hypocrisy to at once claim you have a 'culture of life' and that this should protect unborn fetuses - while at the same time being rabid supporters of the death penalty.

...which is the situation I find among the current US administration and among many 'religious' Republicans in general.

Cairo

Mir

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 pm

I don't like it. Never have, and probably never will.

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 3):
would you feel the same if someone did some nasty things to --your--family member?????

If someone did nasty things to my family, sure, I'd initially want them dead. But that's my desire for revenge talking, and the state is in the business of justice, not revenge. Killing a defenseless person is never justified, not when a criminal does it, and not when the state does it either.

EDITED to remove cheesy overused phrase that didn't add much to the argument....

-Mir

[Edited 2006-03-18 07:56:35]
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

bravo45

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:51 pm

There will probably always be those not worthy to live, and that is not for us to guess from anything other than their actions (not even intentions). I firmly believe this.

Springbok747

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:51 pm

I support the death penalty. Scum who kill other human beings intentionally don't deserve to live. Unfortunately we don't have it in this country.
אני תומך בישראל

northwest_guy

Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:55 pm

Quoting Garri767 (Thread starter):
In my humble opinion , If you INTENIONALLY kill someone (without them trying to kill you and you doing it in self defense) its the old saying, an eye for an eye ( in this case a life for a life). however it if isnt Intentional murder as in 2nd degree (like shaking a baby and it dies which has actually happened) i say the death penalty shouldnt go

I agree completely with you.

stuckinMAF

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:05 pm

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" -Sigmund Freud

yowza

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:09 pm

eye for an eye

You could just as well "turn the other cheek." Religion (any religion) should have no place in shaping top level policy in any country that claims to afford freedom of religion. I think that instead of the death penalty offenders should be sentenced to back breaking hard labour for life.

YOWza

NeilYYZ

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm all for it.

If you intentionally kill someone and it is proven that you are in fact the killer and you intended to do it, beyond the shadow of a doubt, I say bring on the needle.

Or like was said above, if you're robbing a bank and shoot someone, death penalty still applies.

I am one of those that still believe that death is warranted in some cases for some people, and that if it is used properly and swiftly, it could be an effective deterrent. The way it is now with people waiting 15 years to get executed, it's not so much of a deterrent in my mind.

Just my 2 cents.

Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

carmenlu15

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:27 pm

Personally I'm against it, as I feel it's not my right to decide on the life of another human being.

However, over here the prison system, as well as the judicial system, can be such a crap at times... Criminals are often acquitted due to lack of sufficient proof, and those who do get a prison sentence use their time in jail to improve their "skills". Instead of releasing productive members of society, the prisons work as professional thug schools.  sarcastic  Send a pickpocket to jail, and you'll get an organized band leader. Yes, there are times when I think death penalty would be the only way to get rid of these scum.  Sad

Actually death penalty is allowed in the country. However, the law establishes that as a last resort, the President can pardon the condemned person, thus switching death penalty for a prison sentence. The last two Presidents have refused to have a say on this matter, so currently there are several death row prisoners left in limbo. What's the use then?

That's my take on the issue, from a very frustrated (but nevertheless proud) Guatemalan.

Saludos  airplane 
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

andz

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:33 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 12):
it's not my right to decide on the life of another human being

That in a nutshell is what is wrong with judicial systems world wide (well let's say western societies). Everyone is so concerned with the criminals' rights. What gave the murderer the right to decide on the life of their victim? Why should they have any more rights than the person that they chose to kill?

I am fully in favour of capital punishment, the crime rate has gone through the roof here since it was abolished.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

vikkyvik

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:42 pm

however it if isnt Intentional murder as in 2nd degree (like shaking a baby and it dies which has actually happened) i say the death penalty shouldnt go. Whats your feeling on this?

Actually, in general, 2nd degree murder is still intentional; it's just not pre-meditated. Manslaughter is unintentional. Though murder definitions do vary from state to state.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I'm against the death penalty.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

A346Dude

Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:47 pm

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):
I think it is the height of hypocrisy to at once claim you have a 'culture of life' and that this should protect unborn fetuses - while at the same time being rabid supporters of the death penalty.

We've progressed way past the old theory of an eye for an eye. Why should we have to kill people in order to prove that killing people is wrong?

[Edited 2006-03-18 08:48:40]
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

vikkyvik

Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:06 pm

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):

I agree, but this goes both ways. There are plenty of people (generally Democrats) who support abortion but are against the death penalty.

~Vik
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:08 am

I am simply for the abolition of the death penalty. There for sure sometimes are persons who in my mind would deserve death and whatever, but I am still strictly against the death penalty.
-
The death penalty not only is wrong and immoral, it also in too many cases may be done by error, OR as in the USA after having kept the "victim" in storage for ages. The death penalty does NOT have a proven effect as deterrant, and at worst may people even become more lethal when realising that they have no hope anyway.
-
The abolition of the death penalty in Western Europe has NOT lead to an increase of crime, so that the abolition as such is no risk.
-
The death penalty is simply an act of revenge, and of no further value.
-

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:28 am

Not AGAIN!?!?!?!?! Garri, you forget how to use a search function or are you just  stirthepot  so you can read more of the same shit from the same people?

I only went as far back as December . . . didn't think it was worth any more than that.

If I was a moderator I'd shitcan this entire thread as overly redundant.

Here - gorge yourself on this topic - which has been beaten to death as recently as a month ago . . . . sarcastic :
RE: CA Execution Delayed As Doctors Walked Out (by B707321C Feb 22 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1124082
RE: San Diego County Cop Killer Gets Death Pentalty (by KaiGywer Feb 13 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1113114
DNA Test Proves A Guilty Man Was Executed (by Halls120 Jan 13 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1068078
RE: Is The Death Penalty Unfair For Murderers? (by Molykote Dec 25 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1046588
RE: Death Penalty And Penal Reforms (by Thorben Dec 20 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1041362
RE: "The Governator" Strikes Back (by Superfly Dec 20 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1041575
RE: CA To Execute "Tookie" Williams Tonight! (by ANCFlyer Dec 13 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1034482
RE: Grilling A Death Candidate For 2 Decades? (by Slider Dec 13 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1034291
RE: Singapore: Can't Find Hangman For Executions (by HKGKaiTak Nov 30 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1020823
RE: 1000th Execution In The USA To Be Carried Out (by Solarix Dec 1 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1021854
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptainJon

Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:43 am

captainjon,
would you feel the same if someone did some nasty things to --your--family member?????

absolutely, it is still disgusting only because it then becomes legal revenge having the government do your bidding. they should rot in prison for the rest of their natural lives. Life without probation is more punishment than the death penalty. not only is it cheaper to keep them alive, they then have to sit in a small cell for the rest of their lives.

aa757first

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):

The arguement is that the unborn baby, obviously, did nothing wrong, while the person sentenced to death indirectly chose death. I agree, it is a contradiction.

Instead of releasing productive members of society, the prisons work as professional thug schools.

Just reading that, I think that prisons should have schools in them where someone can get a diploma or certificate in something, like practical nursing, plebotomy, etc. I read a story about a woman that was released from jail in Reader's Digest (I think). After being "turned loose" she had no home, no job and no posessions. Her support system was corrupt and they were part of the reason she was in jail. She was back in jail in less than a week.

I would generally support the ability for the jury to choose the death penalty, but I think if I were on the jury I would not be able to choose that option and I certainly wouldn't be involved in anyway.

AAndrew

srbmod

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:42 am

The Death Penalty is not the problem, the problem is the lawyers. Someone like Scott Peterson will have his death sentence carried out sometime in the mid 2010s at the earliest. Hell, if Charles Manson's death sentence wouldn't have been commuted to life when the Death Penalty was declared unconstitutional in the 1970s, he'd probably would still be on Death Row. In the meantime, the lawyers try to get an appeal for a new trial or to have the sentence commuted to life, which is part of the reason why it takes at least 10 years in most states from the time of conviction until the time the punishment is carried out. We had the right to a speedy trial, what about the right to have a sentence carried out in a timely manner? It costs more to house a Death Row inmate because of the extra security and the long drawn out legal cases. It used to be that a death sentence would be carried out ASAP after the decision was rendered. Why can't we go back to that?

As for those who think the Death Penalty is "Cruel and Unusual Punishment", being murdered is cruel and unusual punishment as well. It seems as those the victim(s) of a murder get forgotten about while trying to prevent a convicted criminal from having a death sentence carried out.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 21):
the problem is the lawyers. Someone like Scott Peterson will have his death sentence carried out sometime in the mid 2010s at the earliest. Hell, if Charles Manson's

-
THIS exactly is THE approach I reject. To talk about technicalities, about details, about procedures, about lawyers, about some individuals (of many I would agree that the world might be a better place without). While the basic point is that the capital punishment as the death-penalty should be abolished worldwide.

Nordair

Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:59 am

The following were found guilty of murder...clearly at the time of their convictions they ought to have been sentenced to death. Right?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/wrongfullyconvicted/
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

gordonsmall

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:04 am

How Do You Feel About The Death Penalty?

Hmmm ... I'm not sure I'd like it personally, I prefer to suffer for my sins.  Smile
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

Garri767
Topic Author

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):

shhh
Two wrongs may not make a right, but three lefts do!

dc-10 levo

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:15 am

I also support it. The sooner the UK brings it back, the better our country will be. (Yeah I know it'll never happen).

DC-10

Nordair

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 25):
shhh

Shannon, does that carton say "GOP"?

Wink
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

ANCFlyer

Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 27):
Shannon, does that carton say "GOP"?

Nope it says "POP" Whatsa matter with you Canucks?? Can't read plain non-vulcan English?  wink 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Euclid

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):
It isn't our place to take a life, ever.

Then what gave the murderer that right?

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 17):
The death penalty does NOT have a proven effect as deterrant,

It may not be a deterrant, but what it does accomplish is to rid the world of the useless piece of scumsucking slime that has taken the life of another human being.

He will not be out in the streets again in a few year's time to do it again, as has happened more than once here in South Africa.

And to people on death row that undergo "miraculous" transformations while in holding, such as Tookie Williams, I say boo-freaking-hoo. That does not change what he did to get in that situation in the first place.

Why could he not undergo this "miraculous" transformation before committing the crimes that landed him in death row?

One example from here in South Africa.

A woman and her soon to be mother in law goes to a restaurant in Sunnyside, Pretoria with the woman's baby daughter to celebrate the baby's first birthday. The baby's dad was working.

Afterwards, in the car on the way home, the vehicle is hijacked by two armed men. The baby's grandmother is shot and killed and thrown out of the car.

They then drive the vehicle with the baby and her mother to a settlement outside Pretoria, on the way abducting a 16 year old girl.

They stop the car at a secluded spot, shoots and kills the baby in front of her mother, rapes the mom and shoots and kills her, and rapes and shoots the abducted 16 year old girl, leaving her for dead. She survives the attack, however.

These useless pieces of excrement has in one stroke taken away one man's mother, fiancé and daughter.

One of the suspects is killed in a shootout with police when the corner him in a shack a few days later. The other bastard has been sentenced to life in prison, wich means he may be back on the streets in 8 years.

Now, can any of you pro-lifers give me even one good reason why filth like this should be allowed to live, being fed, clothed and sheltered from the pockets of the South African taxpayer, not forgetting that the poor man who had his whole life taken away from him is also a taxpayer?

CO7e7

Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:52 am

I don't see anything wrong with the Death Penalty, on the contrary, i think it's a very good way to get rid of the scum bags in society.

If one committs one of the following crimes, they should be put to death:
Premiditated murder (aka 1st degree murder)
Muder in Commision of a felony.
The killing of a police officer in the line of duty.
Rape of a minor.
terrorism

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):
God will determine justice.

What if the killer and the victim's family don't believe in God ? Then who is going to determine Justice ?? The angels ????

Alias1024

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting Andz (Reply 13):
What gave the murderer the right to decide on the life of their victim?

being murdered is cruel and unusual punishment as well.

This is why the death penalty is wrong, not right. You are correct that no person has the right to kill another person. So why do 12 jurors get the right to do so? How many people have to agree that someone should die before they have the right to take that person's life?
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Mir

Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 28):
Can't read plain non-vulcan English?

I guess it's not "logical" enough for them.  Smile

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

RobertNL070

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:10 am

Countries that have abolished capital punishment are to be applauded. But I am not going to get all het-up and emotional about it.

Judicial authorities have a myriad of very advanced, hi-tech techniques and facilities at their disposal to assist in solving the most heinous of crimes. There is no doubt in my mind that the detectives and forensic scientists using these techniques and facilities are extremely well trained and are extremely capable of carrying out their often gruesome work.

This being said, people are people, nobody is infallible, mistakes can be made, a misunderstanding can arise. Resulting in a possible wrongful execution. I readily admit that the chances are very slim, but they are ever present. This is the main reason why I am against capital punishment.

I do believe however that life imprisonment really should mean incarceration for the rest of the convicted murderer's natural life.

By the way, this is my first post on capital punishment. And it may well be my last. This subject is one that obviously captures the imagination as it were, and some (younger?) people apparently feel the need to mull over things and exchange thoughts and ideas. It is a pity that others appear to get a little touchy or defensive about this and other sensitive discussions.

Regards, Robert

Edit: typo

[Edited 2006-03-18 23:18:35]

[Edited 2006-03-18 23:18:57]
Youth is a gift of nature. Age is a work of art.

bushpilot

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:49 am

I am pro-death penalty under the correct circumstances, fool proof evidence the right person is being executed being one of them. One could also argue though that death isnt the worst thing that could happen to someone.

Quoting Cairo (Reply 4):
God will determine justice.

I dont believe in god, but whats wrong with letting god make that decision earlier than he would have?

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 11):
I say bring on the needle.

I do have a problem with trying to humanize the death penalty. To go through all the pomp and circumstance of the event is way overblown. Bring them out back and make the problem go away with a 25 cent bullet.

the prisons work as professional thug schools.

Very true.

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 16):
There are plenty of people (generally Democrats) who support abortion but are against the death penalty.

true, it is the opposite for republicans, who are generally pro-life pro-capital punishment. I am pro-choice pro-death penalty, but not a member of either party. Currently working on starting my own political party, details will come soon, keep an eye out for anyone interested.

The Death Penalty is not the problem, the problem is the lawyers.

I agree, all the legal wrangling is a drain on the system and needs to be streamlined.

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 31):
So why do 12 jurors get the right to do so?

Its not thier right, its thier civic duty. That being said and myself being pro-death penalty, I would not want to be on a jury making the decision. I have served on 2 juries before, one of them was a not guilty decision on a sexual assault. Once again it was the fault of the prosector. But I didnt feel good about the decision, I also didnt feel great convicting a guy for assault who was put away for 2 years.
The problem in my eyes isnt the death penalty, it is the process. Minorities are much more likely to be sent to death, the system takes way to long, and it is a pick and choose who dies. I am not one to say we live in a black and white world on this choice, but either kill em or dont, and if your gonna kill em, do it quick, and by quick I mean dont wait 20 years.

byronsterk

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:52 am

I think a criminal should get a punishment as rough as what he has done to his victim. If a murderer kills his victim slowly over a 24 hour period i think that that murderer should be killed slowly over a 24 hour period.
Helicopters can't fly, there just so ugly the earth repells them...

texan

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:03 am

I feel it is wrong. I am anti-murder, be it by an individual, a group, or a state. To me the death penalty is merely state sanctioned murder. A group of 12 men and women sit together and make a concious action to that leads to the intentional end an individual's life. So technically, I guess we should prosecute juries for manslaughter since they intenionally set in motion a group of events that they knew would lead to the death of a human being?

Of course, most people will not agree with me and I don't actually advocate putting juries on trial for manslaughter...although it would raise public awareness about the hypocrisy of the situation (you cannot murder people, to prove it to you, we will now murder you). And I will not be able to convince staunch proponents of the death penalty of my views and they will not be able to convince me of theirs. Really this all comes back to effecting change: if opponents of the death penalty want to overturn it, we will have to get off our butts and change the laws. Until people decide to do that it is just more talk talk talk and no change will commence.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

greasespot

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:22 am

captainjon,

My Brother was murdererd......I still am anti- death penalty....So chew on that....Kind of tosses out the argument that when a persons family member is murdererd they want the death penalty...

GS
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

CaptainJon

Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting Texan (Reply 36):
I feel it is wrong. I am anti-murder, be it by an individual, a group, or a state. To me the death penalty is merely state sanctioned murder. A group of 12 men and women sit together and make a concious action to that leads to the intentional end an individual's life. So technically, I guess we should prosecute juries for manslaughter since they intenionally set in motion a group of events that they knew would lead to the death of a human being? ....

i absolutley agree with you. the governor should be accountable as he is the one that signs the death warrant or refuses to grant clemency. murder is murder regardless if someone doesnt it with a gun, or someone that pushes an inject button.. it is still disgusting and horrifying that people still think its useful. as it is not a deterrent to crime, it has been shown states without the death penalty has lower murder rates, and further more, it is still MURDER. no matter how you label it, it is still murder. no matter how humane you can make it, or painless or quick, it is still cruel and inhumane to do.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Euclid (Reply 29):
One exampl

-
the "examples" are just what I reject. True enough, there ARE culprits for who I would personally wish the must gruesome execution possible. BUT we should keep our lower instincts under control. True enough, if anybody I loved/liked got killed or heavily wounded by whatever "low-life" I would fume with rage and wish this and that, BUT I would not be happy if my personal emotions became legal tender. No, the death-penalty sometimes may be "nice" in order to make the world a better place, but neither is it a convincing deterrant (as potential culprits usually believe NOT to get caught) nor is it an acceptable solution.

Euclid

Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:57 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 39):
but neither is it a convincing deterrant

And as I said in the same post that you quote me from, it may not be a deterrant, but the purpose it does serve is to remove these useless pieces of shit from the planet.

Kill them all, let them experience the same terror their victims felt in the moments after they realised they were going to die.

potential culprits usually believe NOT to get caught

No person would ever commit a crime if they did not believe that they would get away with it. Some people have gotten away with it, most don't. To those that get caught, the sooner they can be eradicated from the face of the earth, the better.

Saying that some useless piece of trash that has taken the life of an innocent human being must be pampered in a jail cell for a few years before being let back out into the streets is the same as saying that it is perfectly allright to kill someone.

To hell with it. He took a life, his life must be taken. Period. To hell with you bloody humanitarians.

This same waste of oxygen and space as described in my previous post will be back on the streets again in a few years, and he may then do the same thing to somebody close to me. Why can you feel sympathy for the criminal but not for the victim and the people that are left behind that now has to cope without this person or persons in their life?

It may not bring the victims back, but killing the asshole will prevent him from doing it again. End of story. Let him die like the useless piece of scum he is.

Twistedwhisper

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting StuckinMAF (Reply 9):

Aw Jeez, not this shit again!

Right, it has been brought up many times before. But hey, shall we be allowed to discuss each subject once? I don't think so.

I am against death penalty because there is no way to make it undone.
Imagine that you zap someone and a decade later you find evidence that the guy you zapped was innocent?

I also find it ironic that if you "cooperate" with he law and confess to a crime that you might not have done you increase your chances to not be subject to the death penalty.
You will also have a hard time claiming your innocence because "why did you confess if you didn't do it"?
But if you claim your innocence well then you have obstructed the law and you are most certain to go on death role....
Read between the lines.

SA7700

Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:23 pm

No, the death-penalty sometimes may be "nice" in order to make the world a better place, but neither is it a convincing deterrant (as potential culprits usually believe NOT to get caught) nor is it an acceptable solution.

So what do you suggest as an acceptable solution? The world has become so entangled in the protection of human rights, that offenders in the end, have more rights than those who have done nothing wrong. In South Africa the bastards are even allowed to vote in governmental elections, whilst in prison. Where do you draw the line and say: "This is enough"?

Criminals roam the streets freely, going on with whatever they are doing. Afterall, freedom of movement is a human right.... "Meanwhile back at the ranch", the rest of the population in South Africa are living in their own semi-prisons with 10 feet high walls-or fences + electric wiring on top of that. You also have burglar proofing infront of all your windows and doors, as well as a burglar alarm which sends out signals to a private security company in order for them to dispatch armed guards when you are endangered.

In the past 2 weeks, Transvaal Judge President Bernard Ngoepe's 4 year old granddaughter was strangled to death while her nanny was gangraped. At the same time at least 3 children are murdered and 60 raped EACH DAY in this wonderful country of ours. Living in a pacifist country, with virtually no crime, it MAY BE easy to say that it is not a convincing deterrant, however for those of us that have been on the receiving end it MAY seem a convincing deterrant to remove the scum from our sick society once and for all.

Just my   

Rgds

SA7700

[Edited 2006-03-19 13:49:26]

[Edited 2006-03-19 13:50:21]
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

NeilYYZ

Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Nordair (Reply 23):
The following were found guilty of murder...clearly at the time of their convictions they ought to have been sentenced to death. Right?

Accidents are unfortunate and extrodinarily regrettable. They have happened in the past, however, with each accident comes greater scrutiny on the process, hopefully making it better and more accurate. That is not to say that they are any less terrible. I think that as long as humans are judging humans accidents are going to happen in all walks of life. Currently though, I think that the advances in science have limited the number of mistakes to a bare minimum, and just the nature of the whole process allows considerable time (often 15 years) for new evidence to come to light.

Quoting DC-10 Levo (Reply 26):
I also support it. The sooner the UK brings it back, the better our country will be. (Yeah I know it'll never happen).

I have the same feelings about Canada.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 34):
I do have a problem with trying to humanize the death penalty. To go through all the pomp and circumstance of the event is way overblown. Bring them out back and make the problem go away with a 25 cent bullet.

I agree, however, the media circus that surrounds executions could be part of the deterring factor that the death penalty has. People can actually see that a state is willing to execute people convicted of heinous crimes.

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 42):
So what do you suggest as an acceptable solution?

The ways it is done in Western Europe. Without death penalty. As simple as that.

Quoting SA7700 (Reply 42):
Criminals roam the streets freely

Criminals do NOT "roam the streets freely" in Western Europe.

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 44):
Criminals do NOT "roam the streets freely" in Western Europe.

Nope, they go to jail for a year or two THEN get out to roam the streets . . . .

Quoting TWISTEDWHISPER (Reply 41):
Right, it has been brought up many times before. But hey, shall we be allowed to discuss each subject once? I don't think so.

Certainly not. That said I do believe we've had overkill on this topic:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):

RE: CA Execution Delayed As Doctors Walked Out (by B707321C Feb 22 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1124082

RE: San Diego County Cop Killer Gets Death Pentalty (by KaiGywer Feb 13 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1113114

DNA Test Proves A Guilty Man Was Executed (by Halls120 Jan 13 2006 in Non Aviation)#ID1068078

RE: Is The Death Penalty Unfair For Murderers? (by Molykote Dec 25 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1046588

RE: Death Penalty And Penal Reforms (by Thorben Dec 20 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1041362

RE: "The Governator" Strikes Back (by Superfly Dec 20 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1041575

RE: CA To Execute "Tookie" Williams Tonight! (by ANCFlyer Dec 13 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1034482

RE: Grilling A Death Candidate For 2 Decades? (by Slider Dec 13 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1034291

RE: Singapore: Can't Find Hangman For Executions (by HKGKaiTak Nov 30 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1020823

RE: 1000th Execution In The USA To Be Carried Out (by Solarix Dec 1 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1021854

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 45):
Nope, they go to jail for a year or two THEN get out to roam the streets . . . .

It depends on the crime. Penalties can go up to 20 years, and there is the possibility to keep somebody "kept inside" for an indefinite period, but only under clearly prescribed circumstances.

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 46):
It depends on the crime.

RE: Germany Releases Terrorist (by NoUFO Dec 20 2005 in Non Aviation)#ID1041177

Case Rest.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 47):
Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 46):
It depends on the crime.

RE: Germany Releases Terrorist

THAT man was in prison for 19/nineteen years, and not just for one or two. And so served a full sentence.

ANCFlyer

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 48):
THAT man was in prison for 19/nineteen years,

I can read.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 48):
And so served a full sentence

The point ME AVN FAN is that the sentence was typical for Western European courts, and IMO, not nearly harsh enough. And the asshole is back on the streets. . . . and if I read that post and the news accounts therein correctly, back with his "old buddies" ready to do it all over again.

First: The death penalty in his case would have eliminated the possibilty of reoffending.

Second: A REAL life term would have done the same thing.

I see your posts in the thread I referenced, where you also conclude that "life in prison" is 15-20 years in Europe. I think that's too soft on the major crimes. I consider the hijacking of that plane, killing of a person, and terroristic threatening and beating of other passengers as a major crime. The asshole should still be incarcerated - perferably dead . . .

We could re-debate our positions as stated in the other thread, but that would be a waste of our time.