eilennaei

Would You Accept A U.S. Green Card?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:25 pm

Anyone else besides me definitely not wanting to become a legal resident in the U.S.? Would you be accepting an invitation for a monetary compensation then?

yowza

RE: Would You Accept A U.S. Green Card?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:39 pm

Quoting Eilennaei (Thread starter):
Anyone else besides me definitely not wanting to become a legal resident in the U.S.? Would you be accepting an invitation for a monetary compensation then?

Careful what you say around here, some people take their patriotic duties a little far on this site.

As for me, I don't really need one. I'm Canadian so getting in and out of the US is relatively painless.

YOWza

erikwilliam

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:56 pm

Anyone else besides me definitely not wanting to become a legal resident in the U.S.?

checkmark 

Would you be accepting an invitation for a monetary compensation then?

how much are we talking here???

Quoting YOWza (Reply 1):
I'm Canadian so getting in and out of the US is relatively painless.

unfortunately not the same can be said here, altough I been there many times and never had any problems, I know some people that had problems getting a US Visa, and that can be a pain in the ass. Not for me, my last one is 10 years. YAERESSSSSSSS
Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Roberto Carlo, Emerson, Ze Roberto, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano, Robinho, Ronaldo

UTA_flyinghigh

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 pm

I would definitely accept it as I am sure I would make good money by selling it on eBay  Smile

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

BDKLEZ

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:10 pm

No nay never; you couldn't pay me!  no 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

VonRichtofen

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:55 pm

I would gladly accept it if it meant I could keep my Canadian citizenship as well. I'd really like to be able to live and work in the US hassle free, I'm bloody sick to the death of this shitty climate in Canada. Canadians please spare me the "but that's what being Canadian is all about, hardyness and toughness to live in a cold climate blah blah". If being a proud Canadian means being miserable for 8 months out of the year then no thanks. I'll live elsewhere for the winter.

Kris

MattRB

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:58 pm

Legally? Absolutely, without a second thought. Would make life between my girlfriend and I that much easier and bring me one step closer to owning that airfield in NC I want  Smile
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

ANother

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:28 am

No, but thank you for the offer. Living in Switzerland is about all the paradise I can stand.

kmh1956

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:32 am

In a heartbeat. Our government is rapidly turning this place into a 3rd world 'nation', so options for me are few....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 5):
I would gladly accept it if it meant I could keep my Canadian citizenship as well.

A Green Card is only residency here. You still keep whatever citizenship you had before.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

BMIFlyer

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 am

Yes, of course I would Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

komododx

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:35 am

Anyone else besides me definitely not wanting to become a legal resident in the U.S.?

No. I'm one, and a happy one at that. I would also become a citizen if I didn't have to give up my European nationalities.

If you live here (as a tourist or investor?) and pay taxes you might as well make the most of it. I can't complain at the couple thousand dollars I get each semester for college.

If you don't like it, let me show you the way out  arrow 

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

NeilYYZ

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:44 am

Without a doubt! I would probably even pay for one. I would rather work in the states where the taxes are lower and the weather is warmer.

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

ScarletHarlot

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:07 am

I'm also a legal resident in the US - but I cannot wait to move back to Canada. Sigh.  Smile

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
I would rather work in the states where the taxes are lower and the weather is warmer.

That may be true, but there's a lot more that goes with living in the US than lower taxes and warmer weather.
But that was when I ruled the world

captaink

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:08 am

I would accept it. I am from the caribbean and never had problems getting a US Visa, and won't have to renew mine till 2014, but a green card, sure i would accept it.
There is something special about planes....

AirPacific747

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:12 am

yes, I would accept a green card, but I don't think that I would ever use it unless I found a nice girl over in the States that I would want to live together with. I actually already know one, but I don't know how far we'll get yet  Smile

Arrow

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:40 am

A lot of these posts give the impression you can pick up a green card in a box of cereal. I don't know how the rules work now (I had a green card 30 years ago, surrendered it when I left) but I doubt that it's easy getting a green card, simply because it allows you to live and work legally in the U.S. for an indefinite period, and ultimately apply for citizenship.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:13 am

Why is it so alright and broadly accepted here in Europe, to bash everything American?

Yankiephobia I smell?  Silly

I would gladly accept it!

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

NeilYYZ

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 17):
Why is it so alright and broadly accepted here in Europe, to bash everything American?

Add a good portion of Canada to that list.

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 13):

That may be true, but there's a lot more that goes with living in the US than lower taxes and warmer weather.

This is true. I should have been more clear, for the field that I want to get into, working in America is more profitable than working in Canada as well. That's my main reason for saying that I'll accept the Green Card, the weather and taxes are just bonuses.

- Neil
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Banco

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:28 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 17):

Why is someone saying that they don't want to live in America "bashing" the place?
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

7FTwinOtter

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:33 am

It would be great to have the opportunity to live and work in the US for a year or two but I would certainly never want to live there permanently.

Aleksandar

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:48 am

I would accept. In fact, I've applied to it.

Unfortunately, my country offers me very little and in that situation, I would grab the chance to try my luck somewhere else.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 18):

So true unfortunately Sad

Quoting Banco (Reply 19):

Why is someone saying that they don't want to live in America "bashing" the place?

No if that was the case then you are right, but IMO that is not the "only" thing people here do. All have added a small little comment to their answer.

Boaz.

AFC_Ajax00

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:56 am

I've got one and thus far it's been great. Using US citizen lines at airports is a big plus!
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 16):
A lot of these posts give the impression you can pick up a green card in a box of cereal. I don't know how the rules work now (I had a green card 30 years ago, surrendered it when I left) but I doubt that it's easy getting a green card, simply because it allows you to live and work legally in the U.S. for an indefinite period, and ultimately apply for citizenship.

Not easy at all. I'm in the process of getting my permanent green card now. Here is the timeline:

• April 26, 2003 - Married a US Citizen
  • Late June, 2003 (yes, I procrastinated) - Apply for Change of Status. Student to Resident Alien
  • Mid July, 2003 - Received my Work Permit
  • June 3, 2004 - Received my Temporary Green Card
  • June 3, 2006 - Temporary Green Card expires, need to apply for permanent before that time (can apply any time within the 90 days prior)
  • June 3, 2007 - Eligible to apply for US Citizenship (once again, can apply 90 days prior)

We did everything ourselves (why feed the lawyers? It's easy enough to do yourself if you have some common sense and can take instructions), and spent probably about $800-1000 by the time I receive my Permanent Green Card. With that, I can do everything an American can, except vote and hold certain jobs (like Police in most states). Once I become a US citizen, I can do everything, except run for president.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

Banco

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:04 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 22):
All have added a small little comment to their answer.

And? Point me to one that "bashes" the US.

komododx

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 24):
We did everything ourselves (why feed the lawyers? It's easy enough to do yourself if you have some common sense and can take instructions)

Unless you live in South Florida and you have to camp out an INS building. I shed the few thousand dollars and my lawyer's staff will take care of that, thank you very much.

Stefano  wave 

ScarletHarlot

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting Arrow (Reply 16):
I doubt that it's easy getting a green card,

Nope, not easy.

I feel qualified to "bash" the US, or rather to express my opinions of it, having lived here for over ten years. Living in the US is different than living in Canada. Societal leanings are very different, even for two countries that are ostensibly so similar. For some people, the US is great. It has given me and Mr. Harlot excellent opportunities but it is not the place that I want to live forever. The political situation and the tendency to move to the right are disturbing to me. It will be hard to leave my friends here, but we will move back to Canada, because that is where we belong, and I want to give something back to the country that made me who I am.

I can understand that there is a backlash toward the US because I've always felt it myself. We can be polite about expressing our opinions about it though.
But that was when I ruled the world

NoUFO

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:49 am

Well well, Banco, "definitely not wanting to become a legal resident in the U.S." sounds like "I can't stand that place and ten elephants couldn't drag me over there".

I considered applying for a Green Card to "have it in my pocket", but that thing simply expires too quickly if you don't really make use of it.
I support the right to arm bears

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 25):
And? Point me to one that "bashes" the US.

Silly Hit a nerve did I?

Well let me just point out the thread starter, not the warmest vibes from him  Smile

Boaz.

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:15 am

Quoting NoUFO (Reply 28):
I considered applying for a Green Card to "have it in my pocket", but that thing simply expires too quickly if you don't really make use of it.

Good man  Wink

Would love to join you!  Wink

Boaz.

NoUFO

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 30):
Would love to join you!

Confused

Join me in doing my Happy Hippo Dance?
I support the right to arm bears

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:38 am

Well I thought you were being sarcastic...

Guess not then Smile

Boaz...

daedaeg

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:00 am

Not to sound defensive. But i'm just trying to figure what is the point of your post? Do you live or work in the US and decided not to stay? You didn't make yourself clear, so I have no clue.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

yowza

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:11 am

shitty climate in Canada.

meteorological or political?

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
where the taxes are lower

Not the only thing that's lower  Wink

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 18):

I find most Canucks are pro-US actually. Maybe I'm wrong.

As I hinted at in my first post, not wanting something does not always take away from something.

I'm surprised some of the US uber-patriots have not made their feelings heard on this thread Big grin

YOWza

Banco

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 29):
Hit a nerve did I?

No. You're sadly mistaking me for someone who gives a stuff.

NeilYYZ

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:30 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 34):
I find most Canucks are pro-US actually. Maybe I'm wrong.

Okay, I'll say this, I grew up in a house where my dad is a business man, my mom's side of the family is entirely unionized teachers and principals. My dad is Conservative, as am I and my sister, my mom is a recent convert to the Conservatives. But my grandfather and aunts will bash the US until the cows come home, and then go on vacation there for months, buying tons of products. I think a good deal of my family makes them feel superior and 'more Canadian' when they bash the US.

As for university, I found that there was a ton of US bashing going on, but then I found the Ontario Campus Conservatives, that has put me into contact with many more Conservatives on campus, I just never knew they were there.

I'll take your opinion though, and I hope it's true, it's just not what I have experienced, but who knows, maybe I've just been immersed in US bashers lately, which is entirely possible.

shitty climate in Canada.

meteorological or political?

Shitty meteorological climate for sure. The political one has taken a step in the right direction both literally and figuratively in my opinion.  Wink

- Neil

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 26):
Unless you live in South Florida and you have to camp out an INS building. I shed the few thousand dollars and my lawyer's staff will take care of that, thank you very much.

Why would you have to camp out by the INS building (it's not the INS anymore btw  Wink). In what way are you getting your green card? It was a very swift process for me, doing it through marriage. I did have to go and wait at the building to get my work permit, but that was the only time. Showed up at 7:45, not knowing they only let in 200 a day...oops  Wink I got ticket 181...hehe.

searpqx

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:07 am

Its interesting reading the comments, and fairly easy to understand where most of them are coming from, but I'm curious what prompted the question (and seriously, just curious, no offense was taken). Green Cards aren't 'offered' to anyone, and as noted, require a fair amount of effort to get and maintain. Where you talking about residence in general?
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AirPacific747

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 35):
No. You're sadly mistaking me for someone who gives a stuff.

you'll never get it, will you?  Yeah sure
Its the tone that many people use. Read between the lines.

smokescreen

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:25 am

I currently live in Tucson on a J visa but will ABSOLUTELY move back to Canada once my obligations here are fulfilled. I have many American friends whom I love and respect and I hope that they are able to effect some positive change in this country, because it can be great force for good in the world, but as it stands it is not a place where I would want to raise a family.

mdsh00

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:27 am

I'm surprised some of the US uber-patriots have not made their feelings heard on this thread

I don't think they will as I think most Americans couldn't care less if someone didn't want to become a legal resident of the US. Living here isn't everyone's taste and if someone doesn't want to immigrate, their choice.

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):
In what way are you getting your green card? It was a very swift process for me, doing it through marriage.

Marriage is very fast, and used to be faster in the early 80s when my parents got married. There were much fewer "fake" marriages back then. The regular application period is long. My mother applied for a green card for her brother when she became a citizen in 1986...it finalized in 1999. Of course I would think the wait time would be shorter for people who are citizens of Europe, but still long.

To those saying yes or no for a green card on quick judgement, many don't know that the process of getting one (other than marrying a US Citizen) is lonnnggg, and to go through the effort, you would really want to get one before even being offered one.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

komododx

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):
Why would you have to camp out by the INS building (it's not the INS anymore btw ). In what way are you getting your green card? It was a very swift process for me, doing it through marriage. I did have to go and wait at the building to get my work permit, but that was the only time. Showed up at 7:45, not knowing they only let in 200 a day...oops I got ticket 181...hehe.

Your profile says you live in MN. Now, compare the possible number of hispanics applying for residence in MN on any given day compared to that of South Florida. Believe me, it gets crowded!

Stefano  wave 

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 42):
Your profile says you live in MN. Now, compare the possible number of hispanics applying for residence in MN on any given day compared to that of South Florida. Believe me, it gets crowded!

Yeah, I agree  Wink When I was up there, I saw barely any hispanics, but several Asians and Europeans (I'm assuming, they were white).

windshear

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 39):
you'll never get it, will you? Yeah sure
Its the tone that many people use. Read between the lines.

cheerful 

Well matey you hit the nail on the head again Wink

owe you one!

Boaz...

bravo45

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:10 am

Well think of it as an option, make a decision and then commit yourself to it instead of then thinking what if......
We had to take the option (had for for around 20 years) when things started to get rough for us myfamily). Its been really nice here in the US, but I intend to return if I can get into PIA.
I intend to consider taking up US citizenship if I can be a dual citizen. I need to look into that matter (anybody here knows anything about that?), but I recommend you at least think about what you would do after a few years when you have that option as well.

pbottenb

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting ScarletHarlot (Reply 13):

Care to expand on this?

luisde8cd

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:13 pm

I would accept it, why not?

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

photopilot

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

Thanks but NO!

If I was resident in the United States, I'd have to give up too much of my personal freedoms that I have come to enjoy.

It would prohibit me from visiting my friends and that is something that I am simply not willing to do.

On the plus side.... gee, can't really think of any reason to live in the US.

luisde8cd

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting Photopilot (Reply 48):

It would prohibit me from visiting my friends and that is something that I am simply not willing to do.

Hmmm either all of your friends live in Cuba or you just simply have no clue of what a US Green Card is.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

[Edited 2006-03-22 04:57:22]