Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Any Spanish Speakers Out There?

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:41 am

I know I haven't been on in a long time, school has just been so hectic and busy its insane. But, I have this project I was just given yesterday that is due on Friday. I am only in Spanish 1 and we have to do this project on our family members describing them and what not. I know all of your lives are important and are busy but if there is anyone out there who could help I would greatly appreciate it!! Thank you very much !!

andessmf

RE: Any Spanish Speakers Out There?

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:58 am

You live in LA and dont speak Spanish??!! Whaaaaatttt?

Speak to me, what is your problem, Spanish is my first language.

waterpolodan

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:45 am

It's crazy, I've met lots of kids from LA that don't know a word of spanish! In any case, he is learning it at least... I grew up in Miami and even though my panamanian father never taught me spanish as a child, I learned it from speaking to my latin friends and just about anyone in any restaraunt or at the beach or where ever, it's omnipresent in miami, so ask away, you shall be helped by many on this board

FDXmech

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:37 am

Si!
I DON'T SPEAK SPANISH BUT CAN SPEAK VERY LOUD ENGLISH EMULATING ANY LANGUAGE!!!
Ya see?
You're only as good as your last departure.

Cory6188

Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:48 pm

I might not be a native speaker, but being in AP Spanish, I'm pretty darn close to fluent by this point.

Con que' te puedo ayudar? (What can I help you with?)

Here are some helpful words that I could think of to describe people. I stuck the accent marks and tildes (~) next to the letters because I don't know how to write them in on the forum...

tall - alto
short - bajo
fat - gordo (gordiflo'n - fat man, gordiflona - fat woman)
skinny - delgado, enjuto
blond - rubio
brunette - moreno
caring/kind - carin~oso
unpleasant - antipa'tico
friendly - simpa'tico
smart - inteligente
stupid - estu'pido
good-looking (handsome) - guapo
pretty - bonito
crazy - loco
wealthy - rico
poor - pobre
he/she is _ years old - e'l/ella tiene _ an~os
he/she is from - es de...
he/she lives in - e'l/ella vive en...
I like to spend time with him/her - Me gusta pasar el rato con e'l/ella.
If I had the opportunity, I would leave my family and I would live with them - Si tuviera la oportunidad, saldri'a de mi familia y viviri'a con ellos.
I see them rather frequently. - Los veo con alguna frecuencia.
I rarely see them. - Rara vez que los veo.
They live far away from us. - Ellos viven lejos de nosotros.
He/she goes to _ college/university ... - E'l/ella asiste a la universidad de...
He/she recently got married. - E'l/ella se caso' recie'ntemente.
If it were my decision, I would send them to live on Mars. - Si fuera mi decisio'n, yo los mandari'a para vivir en Mars.

Some of them are goofy, but many of them will hopefully help you out...

AR1300

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:27 pm

A su servicio.  Wink

Mike
You are now free to move about the cabin

MD11junkie

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:29 pm

Acá también, estamos para ayudarte en Argentina.  Smile.

Good grief, FDXMECH, you owe me a new keyboard and screen. My Pepsi has been spitted all around.  Sad  rotfl 

Cheers! wave 
Gastón - The MD11 Junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

Derico

Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:37 pm

Well, since already two ARGs are at your service...

I'm not.

Signed,
Me.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down

AR1300

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:04 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 4):
Mars.

Marte, in Spanish  Wink

Mike

757MDE

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:22 pm

Yo también hablo... ¡a la órden!
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

AR1300

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 9):
órden

Orden no lleva tilde.Las palabras graves se acentuan unicamente cuando NO terminan en vocal, en N o en S.  Wink Big grin

Mike

P.S: yo no las uso porq me da fiaca escribirlas con el teclado  Wink

767-332ER

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:36 pm

I can definitely help you with spanish...or I should say "Castellano"

Let me know what we can do for you.
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:33 am

Thank you soo much for all your help and support. So i have what i'd like to say in English the only thing is, I am not a Spanish speaker and I do not know how to say it in spanish.

This is the mother of my mother. Her name is Dorothy. She is very serious, proper, and mean. This is the father of my mother, his name is Ed. I unfortunatly never got to meet him. He died before I was born. This is my mother. Her name is Melinda. She is a wonderful, good looking woman. This is the mother of my father. Her name is Dorothy too. I unfortunatly never got to meet her either. She died while my dad was a kid. This is my grandfather, harold. He is an awesome guy. He liked to wear pink and had a good taste in food. He is the coolest guy ever. This is my dad. My dad is pretty sweet. My dad is better than all your dads. This is my moms sister. Her name is Andrea. She is not married and has no children. This is my fathers brother, his name is Micky, he is homeless and is not married. This is my fathers other brother, he unfortunatly passed away but he was the craziest guy i ever met. He has one son named Larry who lives in Mexico. He is the coolest cousin I have. He is getting married in Augusto and I am going to his wedding. He does things kids like to do. THis is his sister Jackie she is really cool too. He has two awesome kids. This is my dads other sister. I dont like her. She is mean and picky. Her daugther is annoying. This is my sister, she is pretty cool except when she acts like the teenaged girl she wishes she was. and this is me the kid who is going to get an A+ on this project.....

gay i know but haha if any of you could help with the translation of that I would greatly appreciate it !!! Thank you soo much for your time !

redngold

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:39 am

Grandmother: abuela --> Mother's mother therefore is "abuela maternal."

Have you tried this:
http://babelfish.altavista.com

However, I strongly suggest that if you use translation assistance, that you double check the translations for idioms, verb and gender agreement, and word order. Otherwise your teacher will know you c-h-e-a-t-e-d.

innocent 
Up, up and away!

luisde8cd

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Airlinerfreak (Reply 12):
This is the father of my mother, his name is Ed. I unfortunatly never got to meet him. He died before I was born.

Este es mi abuelo materno, su nombre es Ed. Lamentablemente nunca lo conoci, murio antes de que yo naciera.

This is my mother. Her name is Melinda. She is a wonderful, good looking woman.

Esta es mi mama (or madre). Su nombre es Melinda. Ella es una mujer bella y maravillosa.

his is the mother of my father. Her name is Dorothy too. I unfortunatly never got to meet her either. She died while my dad was a kid

Esta es mi abuela paterna. Su nombre tambien es Dorothy. Lamentablemente tampoco la pude conocer ya que murio cuando mi padre era un ni�o.

This is my grandfather, harold. He is an awesome guy. He liked to wear pink and had a good taste in food. He is the coolest guy ever.

Este es mi abuelo Harold, es un tipo increible. Le gustaba usar ropa rosa y tenia un buen gusto para la comida. Es el tipo mas "chevere" (mexican= chido) de todos.

Hope it helps, now somebody else can do the rest. I can't type accents because after I click "Post the message" they all turn into weird characters (�?/)

�Quien sigue?

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

RCS763AV

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:06 pm

Con que' te puedo ayudar?

gordiflo'n

moreno
caring/kind - carin~oso
unpleasant - antipa'tico
friendly - simpa'tico
smart - inteligente
stupid - estu'pido
good-looking (handsome) -guapo

Not to be picky but,

Why do you keep putting the "tildes" like that?, its in the letter, like estúpido, gordinflón, not estu´pido....

Also, guapo is how grandmas say it, now you say sexy, lindo-a....

BTW, Hablo español (nativo) y tengo buena otrografía y gramatica, i also speak english et je parle français mais pas beaucoup...so at your service..

redngold

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:09 pm

Cuidado! Pienso que Ud. necesita palabras y gramatica Castellano, no de los otros paises. En las escuelas de los E.E.U.U., aprenden el Castellano. (No offense, guys)
Up, up and away!

luisde8cd

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 15):
TW, Hablo espa�ol (nativo) y tengo buena otrograf�a y gramatica

Epa epa y que paso ahi con "otrografia" (sic) y gramatica sin tilde?, jeje

Arghh I can't type letters with accents over them! This is what happens

Ayer paso por mi casa el camion mientras tomaba un cafe con el nino --->

Ayer pas� por mi casa el cami�n mientras tomaba un caf� con el ni�o

Sad

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

carmenlu15

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:11 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 14):
now somebody else can do the rest

Part 2:

This is my dad. My dad is pretty sweet. My dad is better than all your dads.

Este es mi papá. Él es bastante dulce. Mi papá es mejor que los papás de todos ustedes.

(N.T. Nope, my dad is better than yours  Wink )

This is my moms sister. Her name is Andrea. She is not married and has no children.

Esta es la hermana de mi mamá, su nombre es Andrea. Ella no está casada y no tiene hijos.

This is my fathers brother, his name is Micky, he is homeless and is not married.

Este es el hermano de mi papá, su nombre es Micky. Él no tiene casa y no está casado.

This is my fathers other brother, he unfortunatly passed away but he was the craziest guy i ever met.

Este es el otro hermano de mi papá. Desafortunadamente, él ya falleció, pero era el tipo más loco que he conocido.

... Ok, who's next?  Smile

I stuck the accent marks and tildes (~) next to the letters because I don't know how to write them in on the forum...

From the DOS era, when I first learned to use a computer, here it is... a short guide to write tildes if your keyboard doesn't have them:

ALT + 160 á
ALT + 130 é
ALT + 161 í
ALT + 162 ó
ALT + 163 ú
ALT + 164 ñ
ALT + 165 Ñ

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 14):
I can't type accents because after I click "Post the message" they all turn into weird characters (�?/)

Luis, what browser are you using? I'm currently using IE  embarrassed  and it's working fine. Check the menu under Ver -> Codificación, Europeo Occidental (Windows) should be selected. Hope it helps!
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

USAFHummer

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:16 pm

Man, thats pretty crazy for Spanish I...I don't remember my Spanish I assignments requiring stuff that long...guess things have changed in the 7 years since I took it...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Airlinerfreak
Topic Author

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:48 pm

thank you guys soo much once i am of legal age i will buy you two a couple of beers

TACAA320

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:31 pm

Bastante tarde, pero con gusto puedo ayudarle.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

AM744

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:21 am

Carmenlu:
Totally off topic. I just came back from a little vacation in your country and boy, was it beautiful, I liked it very much. There should be more info on the web to let the world know in detail what Guatemala has to offer. Lovely country, congratulations. I'm recomending it to friends.

luisde8cd

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 18):
Luis, what browser are you using? I'm currently using IE embarrassed and it's working fine. Check the menu under Ver -> Codificación, Europeo Occidental (Windows) should be selected. Hope it helps!

Vamos a probar a ver:
¿ Hola cómo estás ? estoy probando los acentos en a.net.

Smile ¡¡¡ Si sirve !!!! gracias Carmen, odiaba ver mis posts en español con mala ortografía.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

komododx

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:31 am

Yo tambi�n hablo espa�ol, aunque con acento de Bogot�. Y me da a veces risa leer como habla la dem�s gente hispanohablante.

Adi�s!

St�fano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

SFOMEX

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:54 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 16):
Cuidado! Pienso que Ud. necesita palabras y gramatica Castellano, no de los otros paises. En las escuelas de los E.E.U.U., aprenden el Castellano. (No offense, guys)

Hey, I do take offense!! Spanish may vary in some minor aspects, such as slang and idioms, but we all speak the same language in the "mundo hispanoparlante" (Spanish-speaking world).

Besides, the Spanish spoken in Spain is awful and useless if you live in the USA!!!  duck 

Por cierto, este tópico me lleva a preguntar: ¿en cuántos países latinoamericanos se sigue usando comunmente el "vos-vosotros" en lugar del "tu-ustedes"? Obviamente, además de España que no cuenta por no star en nuestra región.
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

757MDE

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting AR1300 (Reply 10):
Orden no lleva tilde.Las palabras graves se acentuan unicamente cuando NO terminan en vocal, en N o en S.

Mike

P.S: yo no las uso porq me da fiaca escribirlas con el teclado

Malditas tildes siempre me confundo en alguna y hasta pongo tildes sin querer.
¡Gracias!
Quisiera volveraamartevolveraquerertevolveratenertecerrrrcaademígirl! Mis ojos lloran porrr ti...

757MDE

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 25):
Por cierto, este tópico me lleva a preguntar: ¿en cuántos países latinoamericanos se sigue usando comunmente el "vos-vosotros" en lugar del "tu-ustedes"? Obviamente, además de España que no cuenta por no star en nuestra región.

Aquí en Colombia se usa el "vos" pero no el "vosotros" en ciertas regiones, como Antioquia (Medellín), el Eje Cafetero (Manizales, Pereira, Armenia) y el Valle del Cauca (Cali). De hecho en esas partes se conjugan los verbos igual que en Argentina, pero con otro acento. "¿Vos querés que me vaya?".

Besides, the Spanish spoken in Spain is awful and useless if you live in the USA!!!

Jaja I quite like it actually!
¡Eaaaaaaaaa! ¡coñooooooooooooo!

[Edited 2006-03-24 19:08:16]

komododx

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:56 am

Hey, I do take offense!! Spanish may vary in some minor aspects, such as slang and idioms, but we all speak the same language in the "mundo hispanoparlante" (Spanish-speaking world).

Hasta cierto punto. But I'll make my point in english for the sake of those bilingually-challenged a.netters  tongue 

I believe that what we now have in Latinamerica is more of a variety of dialects than slang. Mexican Spanish could be a good example, especially in the names of fruits and vegetables (jitomate is a great example). Although slang is the number one factor in the dialectilization of the language, the truth is that you could speak Venezuelan Spanish in Colombia and convey a completely different meaning than what you intended ("arrecho/a" in Venezuela has a very, very different connotation than "arrecho/a" in Colombia).

t�pico

Topico means something way different to me than "topic." The word in Spanish closest to "topic" is asunto. This is a good example of how Cubans have pretty much raped the language in Miami coming out with terms such as transportacion (as opposed to transporte), lonche (as opposed to almuerzo), furnitura (as opposed to muebles), and frizada (as opposed to congelada or helada). You can clearly see where the origins of those words come from.

Stefano  wave 

SFOMEX

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 28):
This is a good example of how Cubans have pretty much raped the language in Miami coming out with terms such as transportacion (as opposed to transporte), lonche (as opposed to almuerzo), furnitura (as opposed to muebles), and frizada (as opposed to congelada or helada). You can clearly see where the origins of those words come from.

Cubans, Mexicans, Colombians and so on... You make a good point. I've never got used to the disgraceful neologism "aseguranza" use by almost every Latino in California. Having the right word in Spanish (seguro), most people rather use this lame version of "insurance". Nonetheless, it's the natural consequence of living in the midst of a dominant culture/language that is not yours.

Having said that,

believe that what we now have in Latinamerica is more of a variety of dialects than slang.

I still believe that Spanish is pretty much the same in our continent, with the aforementioned exceptions. I used to live with some Colombians (un caleño y dos paisas) and we never had a problem to communicate ourselves. Needless to say, we had our little misunderstandings when using slang such as the Mexican "aguas" (which almost got us in a car accident, you might deduce why) or the Colombian "tinto", which I thought was red wine. I don't need to tell you what I thought of one of them when he first told me that he started his day drinking two "tintos" every morning!!! LOL...
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

komododx

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:32 am

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 29):
"aguas"

rotfl 
It reminds me of episods of El Chavo when Sen~or Barriga comes by

I still believe that Spanish is pretty much the same in our continent

checkmark 
We're still able to communicate, true.

Stefano  wave 

zippyjet

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:41 am

You probably heard this before: But, Google, Bubba Fish and some others offer satisfactory free translations. And Spanish is one of the languages covered.

This should get youn started. You can pay to play/get more precise online translation but, the freebies will do.

Usted probablemente oyó este antes: pero, Google, el Pescado de Bubba y algunos otros ofrecen traducciones libres satisfactorias. Y el español es una de las lenguas cubiertas. [¿url = la cuenta http: // www.google.com/search? los hl=en*q=Free+online+translation facturan Este debería comenzarle. Usted puede pagar para jugar/ponerse la traducción en línea más precisa, pero, los regalos harán. cuenta de [/url]
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

luisde8cd

Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:42 am

the truth is that you could speak Venezuelan Spanish in Colombia and convey a completely different meaning than what you intended ("arrecho/a" in Venezuela has a very, very different connotation than "arrecho/a" in Colombia).

Hehehe, you just made me remind me when I was in Orlando and I was hitting on a Colombian girl. We were both 14, we were talking in the hotel pool about the roller coasters and I told her "Estoy arrecho con mi primo porque no se quiso montar conmigo" (I'm mad with my cousin because he didn't want to ride the rollercoaster with me). She freaked out and called me "Sick bastard!" and ran away. I was shocked, I couldn't understand. Then the next day I asked her why she reacted like that and she explained me that arrecho in Colombia means horny or something like that.

This is a good example of how Cubans have pretty much raped the language in Miami coming out with terms such as transportacion (as opposed to transporte)

In Mexico they also use Transportación. Talk about American influence....

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

RIHNOSAUR

Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:41 am

Cuidado! Pienso que Ud. necesita palabras y gramatica Castellano, no de los otros paises

wow dude!! Come on??? I am sorry but, I recognize that Spanish speaking America or Hispanoamerica adopted its language from Spain (castellano).The reality is that we are now the largest sociocultural group that speaks and has adopted the spanish language, thus our way of speaking is just as valid if not MORE than the "castellano" they speak in Spain.

Its like saying that you need the correct grammar and words from the British English and not from the other countries!!  scratchchin 

I still believe that Spanish is pretty much the same in our continent, with the aforementioned exceptions.

I agree, we all speak a common enough "version" by which we can always communicate.Here goes some interesting examples of some interesting change of words between "Venezuelan Spanish" and "Costarican Spaish"

Ven : CR

cambur = banano
patilla = sandia
lechosa = papaya
parchita = maracuya

polcia acostado = muerto

"que jeva mas buena" = "que vieja mas rica"

spin 
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

MADtoCAE

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:00 pm

Besides, the Spanish spoken in Spain is awful and useless if you live in the USA!!!

I've used my Spanish over there, it aint useless  Wink
Un saludo desde Madrid.
Operator!!! Give me the number for 911!!

LTU932

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:31 pm

¿en cuántos países latinoamericanos se sigue usando comunmente el "vos-vosotros" en lugar del "tu-ustedes"?

Aquí en Costa Rica se usa mucho el tú y usted. Yo personalmente siempre uso el usted por costumbre, aún con amigos y compañeros de trabajo.

I've never got used to the disgraceful neologism "aseguranza" use by almost every Latino in California.

I think I would get confused if I get personally introduced into this "Spanglish". But then again, here at work, we do speak a kind of Spanglish, when we mix Spanish with some terms used for our work. It so bad for us, we sometimes even speak this Spanglish when we're in a pub.

In Costa Rica, the media sometimes creates words for replacing other words. For example, the people in Channel 7 love to call prisoners doing time in Jail "Privados de Libertad", instead of the correct "Prisioneros". I always hated that, because in the end, prisoners forfeit their right to freedom for a certain amount of time by doing their crime. A Privado de Libertad would in my book be someone who has been sequestered, not someone who has been deprived of his freedom because he broke the damn law. It's like they're trying to speak their language like the Germans, Swiss and Austrians speak German, although German has many words with the same meaning, and the use of them is much different and IMO much more elegant than what the Costa Rican media is trying by coming up with their fancy slang words.

AR385

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting 767-332ER (Reply 11):
I can definitely help you with spanish...or I should say "Castellano"

Cuidado! Pienso que Ud. necesita palabras y gramatica Castellano,

Sorry, but I beg to digress. The language that arrived in America ( I hate to use The Americas) was Spanish. It was not Castillian or "Castellano" Castillian was used in the center of Spain.

Spanish was a mixture of all the dialects of the Spanish Kingdom that were spoken by the people that arrived in Cadiz, to be shipped to America through " El Puerto de Palos" On average, any poor Spanish soldier of fortune that arrived in Cadiz and wanted to go to America, ended up spending many years in Cadiz, if at all shipped. The ones that made it, came speaking Spanish, the Dialect of Cadiz since they had spent so many years living there. It gets more complicated:

This dialect spoken in Cadiz, had a heavy dose of the dialects spoken in Extremadura, where most of the Consquistadores and their soldiers came from. What eventually arrived in America, then, was the dialect of Cadiz, which is what we today call Spanish, not Castillian.

Since then, the two languages have evolved differently and separately, according to the region in America.

You want proof? Go to Andalucia and you will notice how different the language actually is from what is spoken in Madrid. Or get a Canarian to sweet talk you. They actually speak like Cubans. Why? because any ship from Cadiz, stopped in the Canary islands on its way to America and on its way back.

That Spanish in turned evolved in the local Spanish that is spoken in the different countries of America today.

I got all this information from a Spanish friend of mine who is a philologist at the Royal Spanish Academy. Some of the more radical philologists, even say that "Castillian" as such is a dead language, and that what we all speak are regional variations of Spanish. Think what you want.

carmenlu15

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:52 pm

Great! I always enjoy Spanish discussions over here  Smile

Quoting AM744 (Reply 22):
Carmenlu:
Totally off topic. I just came back from a little vacation in your country and boy, was it beautiful, I liked it very much. There should be more info on the web to let the world know in detail what Guatemala has to offer. Lovely country, congratulations. I'm recomending it to friends.

Music to my ears...  cloudnine  Thanks for your comments!
Speaking of websites, a good place to get started is http://visitguatemala.com (the official site of the Guatemala Tourism Commision). Another one that has tons of pics is http://www.guate360.com

* Sorry for the thread hijack, but I can't miss a chance to show my country to the world. *

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 23):
¡¡¡ Si sirve !!!! gracias Carmen, odiaba ver mis posts en español con mala ortografía.

thumbsup  ¡Con gusto!

Quoting 757MDE (Reply 27):

Aquí en Colombia se usa el "vos" pero no el "vosotros" en ciertas regiones, como Antioquia (Medellín), el Eje Cafetero (Manizales, Pereira, Armenia) y el Valle del Cauca (Cali). De hecho en esas partes se conjugan los verbos igual que en Argentina, pero con otro acento. "¿Vos querés que me vaya?".

¿Será vos?  Wink Así hablamos en Guatemala también. El uso del "vos" es bastante común, pero se usa más que todo en situaciones informales; por ejemplo, para hablar con los amigos, los hermanos, etc. En otras palabras, cuando se conoce a la otra persona y hay cierto grado de familiaridad. De lo contrario, se usa el "tú", o si se quiere ser más formal, el "usted".

No sé cómo será en el resto de Centroamérica. Recuerdo que en el trabajo, los compañeros que venían de El Salvador para apoyarnos trataban de "vos" a todo el mundo, pero no sé si lo hacían por seguirnos la corriente. Big grin

Quoting RIHNOSAUR (Reply 33):
wow dude!!

While I agree with your post, I would like to note that Redngold is not a 'dude'... she's part of the select group of women on a.net.  Silly
Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

RIHNOSAUR

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 37):
While I agree with your post, I would like to note that Redngold is not a 'dude'... she's part of the select group of women on a.net. Silly

My sincere apologies to Redngold for this mistake!!! I should check the person I am quoting more often!
 eek 
thank you for pointing this out Carmenlu15!
particles and waves are the same thing, but who knows what that thing is...

LTU932

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:58 pm

Quoting Carmenlu15 (Reply 37):
No sé cómo será en el resto de Centroamérica. Recuerdo que en el trabajo, los compañeros que venían de El Salvador para apoyarnos trataban de "vos" a todo el mundo, pero no sé si lo hacían por seguirnos la corriente.

Y lo curioso, mientras en Costa Rica se usa mucho el tu y usted, aunque ahora recuerdo que hay excepciones en los cuáles algunos usan el vos, en el trabajo y en los correos que los del equipo de soporte de español tienen que redactar, tienen que usar el tú curiosamente, y antes se usó el usted, y yo personalmente no estoy de acuerdo con esto. Es más, si en algo tan serio como un soporte técnico fuesemos informal hacia el cliente en el idioma alemán, sería casi un insulto.

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 32):
Hehehe, you just made me remind me when I was in Orlando and I was hitting on a Colombian girl. We were both 14, we were talking in the hotel pool about the roller coasters and I told her "Estoy arrecho con mi primo porque no se quiso montar conmigo" (I'm mad with my cousin because he didn't want to ride the rollercoaster with me). She freaked out and called me "Sick bastard!" and ran away. I was shocked, I couldn't understand. Then the next day I asked her why she reacted like that and she explained me that arrecho in Colombia means horny or something like that.

This reminds me why I speak Spanish more formally. I reckon, there are lots of regional variations of Spanish and eventually I can't get away with a mistake like the one you just mentioned. I still wonder how it would be if there would be such misunderstandings in my native German language, although in reality it shouldn't be such a big problem, since all German speaking countries are very close to Germany.

AR1300

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:01 pm

En Argentina usamos vos.Y el famoso ''che''.  Wink
Hey!!Che vos!! Big grin

Mike

IBERIA747

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:29 pm

you just made me remind me when I was in Orlando and I was hitting on a Colombian girl. We were both 14, we were talking in the hotel pool about the roller coasters and I told her "Estoy arrecho con mi primo porque no se quiso montar conmigo" (I'm mad with my cousin because he didn't want to ride the rollercoaster with me). She freaked out and called me "Sick bastard!" and ran away. I was shocked, I couldn't understand. Then the next day I asked her why she reacted like that and she explained me that arrecho in Colombia means horny or something like that.

LMAO!!!!!!!

Something like that happened to me in Guatemala. I was at a bar and started talking to the girl that was sitting next to me. After a few minutes she told me that she was applying for a new job and that she had taken a test that morning. I asked her " ¿qué tal te fue?, ¿te han cogido?"....she just yelled "¡¡¡Abusivo!!!!, ¡¡¡Grosero!!! and not knowing what was going on I just replied..."¡¡Pero bueno, tía!! ¡¡cálmate!!...¡¡Tengo las manos sobre la barra y no te he tocado!!. She just gave me the EVIL look...paid for her drink and left. I offered to pay for her drink and she just said "déjame en paz, abusivo...y no soy tu tía".

After a couple of minutes the waiter came and asked what happened. I explained him the situation and he started laughing like crazy. My BIG mistake was asking her "¿te han cogido?" when I should have asked "¿te han aceptado?" instead. The moment he explained to me the meaning of "coger" in Guatemala I realized what the problem was and I also started laughing my a$$ off.

Another words one has to be careful not to use in Guatemala are "pisar" and "talega". "Pisar" has the same meaning as "coger" and "talega" is what you use for "Pisar/coger". Big grin Big grin Big grin

Here in Spain, "pisar" is just to step onto something, and "talega" is like a small wallet, a small bag with a zipper for carrying coins or "monedero de caballero" as we would also call it.

So if you ever go to Guatemala be careful NOT to say "perdóname por pisarte" or "no sé dónde me dejé la talega". Big grin

Colegas guatemaltecos: perdón si el leer esto os parece grosero, pero es a efectos de ilustrar la situación. Ahora ya sé perfectamente lo que se puede o no decir en Guatemala y las palabras que se pueden o no utilizar.

Lo arriba relatado ocurrió en la barra del T.G.I. Friday's del Centro Comercial "Géminis 10".

¡¡¡¡Saludos!!!!
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

RCS763AV

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:15 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 17):
Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 15):
TW, Hablo espa�ol (nativo) y tengo buena otrograf�a y gramatica

Epa epa y que paso ahi con "otrografia" (sic) y gramatica sin tilde?, jeje

JAJA it was a tired post.

me remind me when I was in Orlando and I was hitting on a Colombian girl. We were both 14, we were talking in the hotel pool about the roller coasters and I told her "Estoy arrecho con mi primo porque no se quiso montar conmigo" (I'm mad with my cousin because he didn't want to ride the rollercoaster with me).

AJAJAJAJAJAJA I would have freaked out like...what a rapist or something like that.

ITs supposed that the spanish spoken in the region of Bogotá is the best, it is better conjugated and the accent is none, but that has changed a little with all the new expressions we have been using right now....

IBERIA747

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 42):
the spanish spoken in the region of Bogotá is the best, it is better conjugated and the accent is none

None??...wow!!! Colombian accents are unmistakable unless they are from the Atlantic coast. Whenever I hear a Colombian speaking I will recognize the accent immediately.

It's the same thing as when I went to GUA and said that the sound of Guatemalan accent was a little bit like mexican and they told me "no way!!!, we have no accent!!!"

About speaking the best Spanish...what makes you say that? I have heard the same thing before and also said by Colombians.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

JOSEMEX

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:45 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 43):
About speaking the best Spanish...what makes you say that? I have heard the same thing before and also said by Colombians.

I guess that happens everywhere. I've heard fellow "chilangos" swear that we have no accent whatsoever.

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 41):
" ¿qué tal te fue?, ¿te han cogido?"

rotfl 

757MDE

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:04 am

ITs supposed that the spanish spoken in the region of Bogotá is the best, it is better conjugated and the accent is none, but that has changed a little with all the new expressions we have been using right now....

Not at all

komododx

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:17 am

That's what people from Bogota say  Yeah sure

However, Bogota Spanish and Costa Rican Spanish seem to have the least accentual variation. I do find it amusing how Costa Ricans pronounce their r's

Stefano  wave 

redngold

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:11 am

Okay... in English, because I can't remember enough Spanish to say all of this...

When I was in high school, we were instructed to speak Castellano because it was the official dialect of Spanish that was taught according to the New York state curriculum. It was my understanding that this is relatively uniform across the United States because we were also qualifying for The College Board's tests (Achievement and AP exams.)

I apologize if anyone found this offensive, and I understand that in the classroom many teachers give their students information on dialectical differences (including mine.) You are right that it is like saying that American English is wrong and using British English is the only acceptable way to communicate "in English." However, when it comes down to general grading standards, my teachers instructed us to format our answers using Castellano idioms, grammar, and spelling unless otherwise noted. As far as I know, this is still true.

redngold
Up, up and away!

Southamerica

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 46):
That's what people from Bogota say

Right.

In reality, all of Colombia's regions have their own undeniable accent. That's clear.

The accent of those from the northern coast can be immediately recognized thanks to many peculiar details [like failing to pronounce the S at the end of plurals], and it follows pronounciation patterns also used in the Caribbean or several other countries

The accent in the interior of Colombia can be easily distinguished from region to region in the tone used when asking a question. The accent from Bogota has its particular tones [they tend to over-stress the tone at the end of the question] as much as the accent from Bucaramanga, Medellin or Pasto.

SOUTHAMERICA

RCS763AV

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:52 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 43):
one??...wow!!! Colombian accents are unmistakable unless they are from the Atlantic coast. Whenever I hear a Colombian speaking I will recognize the accent immediately.

Yes, you will differentiate a person from Bogota b/c of the lack of accent, its said that if you look in the dictionary thats the way the word is pronounced

Quoting Komododx (Reply 46):
However, Bogota Spanish and Costa Rican Spanish seem to have the least accentual variation

Indeed. Costa Ricans also have very little accent.

Quoting SOUTHAMERICA (Reply 48):
The accent from Bogota has its particular tones [they tend to over-stress the tone at the end of the question] as much as the accent from Bucaramanga, Medellin or Pasto.

Its supposed that is the way you say a question in the books, of course it looks like an accent but its is the way you say it in reality, that happens also with Costa Ricans...