Braybuddy
Topic Author

Some Great And Completely Legal Money Saving Tips

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Always carry an empty fuel container in your car. Next time you pull into a garage for petrol, collect the residue in the hoses on any vacant pumps. Also, always fill up two or three cent over your target and hand in a large note. You'll always get an even amount back.

When buying tomatoes, always pick out out the stems before they are bagged and weighed. This can also be done with apples, oranges etc when sold by weight.

If you use paper tissues to blow your nose, instead of throwing them out put them in your pocket: they dry out quickly and can be re-used when you go to the toilet, though it's not a good idea to do this the other way around.

Always keep your leftover coins from foreign trips. Carry them around with you at all times. They are invaluable when accosted on the street by charity collectors and beggars.

Anyone any more?

AirCop

RE: Some Great And Completely Legal Money Saving Tips

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:03 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
Always carry an empty fuel container in your car. Next time you pull into a garage for petrol, collect the residue in the hoses on any vacant pumps. Also, always fill up two or three cent over your target and hand in a large note. You'll always get an even amount back.

Ouch its like having a bomb in your trunk..in the states you would get exact change back.

If you use paper tissues to blow your nose, instead of throwing them out put them in your pocket: they dry out quickly and can be re-used when you go to the toilet, though it's not a good idea to do this the other way around.

I can't believe doing this one either, just sounds bad.

Always keep your leftover coins from foreign trips. Carry them around with you at all times. They are invaluable when accosted on the street by charity collectors and beggars.

This is a good idea, now only I would have to keep them separate from my local coins for the parking meters etc.  biggrin 

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:10 pm

Or, you could just not give them anything and not have a problem.

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 2):
Or, you could just not give them anything and not have a problem.

That wouldn't be any fun.

kiwiandrew

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 pm

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

ClassicLover

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:32 pm

Also, always fill up two or three cent over your target and hand in a large note. You'll always get an even amount back.

We do that in Australia as we don't have 1c and 2c coins anymore.

So if it's 1c or 2c over, they have to round down to the nearest 5c, while 3c and 4c is rounded up  Smile
I do quite enjoy a spot of flying - more so when it's not in Economy!

USAIRWAYS321

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:34 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 3):
That wouldn't be any fun.

But carrying around a pile of foreign coins is?  scratchchin 

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 6):
But carrying around a pile of foreign coins is?

Sure! More people to piss off!

CRJonBeez

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:02 am

do you actually feel THAT guilty if you don't give somebody spare change? if so, you would think you would give them the proper currency! it seems strange that somebody could actually get over their guilt that quickly just by dropping some sort of coin off with a person that has absolutely no use to either party.

i save all the canadian coins i get for the times i pick up food at the drive-thru. give them exact change and those people don't care. i've never heard of somebody complaining over it, so i'll stick with that tactic!

ManuCH
Crew

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:29 am

Next time you pull into a garage for petrol, collect the residue in the hoses on any vacant pumps.

This is illegal in Switzerland: every gas pump has a sign saying "the contents of the hose doesn't belong to the customer". Sorry Big grin
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

senorcarnival

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:33 am

I've heard of cheap people, but this takes cheapness to a whole new level. Big grin
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!