luisde8cd

A Computer Engineer's Friday Rant

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Why do Computer Engineers have to take a full year of discrete math?????? I mean, I've never applied what I learned in those courses in other courses. Such a waste of time and energy. Discrete math sucks.

Rant End

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

aircraft

RE: A Computer Engineer's Friday Rant

Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:45 pm

When you're working with computers, you can never get enough math. That's what makes computers so interesting. But then again, I do agree with you, math can be such a b*ch. Keep your chin up; you'll get there and it will be worth it.

comorin

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:50 am

In the business world, 90% of IT applications don't need it. However, in computationally oriented software development it is very important.

For example, the highest paying jobs in NYC are for quants - people who can model risk and complex financial structures, which require a strong understanding of numerical methods.

There will always be subjects you don't like, but they will make you a confident, well rounded engineer when you graduate. You will be entering a very competitive work place, and the more you know, the better.

Good luck!

eilennaei

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:10 am

I went to the same computer science M.A. courses than those who mastered in Math. I passed them all the same, so either I'm a special case or then there's no pressing need for discerete math. Unless you are planning to stay at your 'puter awk'ing and grep'ing for the rest of your adult life, a user interface course or any human science course will be far more useful.