AMSMAN
Topic Author

Do I Need A Visa For Vistiting Australia...

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:53 am

I'm going to Oz in June for a month...well June 10th - July 13th to be precise.

Do I need to apply for any type of visa or is it like the US where you are given the forms before landing?

Thanks in advance

AMSMAN
Aer Lingus, Proud to be Irish.

Gman94

RE: Do I Need A Visa For Vistiting Australia...

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:59 am

No you need an ETA, I'm sure Ireland qualifies for the scheme.

http://www.eta.immi.gov.au/
British Airways - The Way To Fly

swissgabe

Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:21 am

The airline/travel agent you book with will do this visa for your. Some of them charge a fee and some airlines do it free of charge for you.
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

aerorobnz

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:55 am

Quoting Swissgabe (Reply 2):
The airline/travel agent you book with will do this visa for your. Some of them charge a fee and some airlines do it free of charge for you.

Organise it yourself, trust me I deal with ETAs every day, and unfortunately travel agents have a habit of mucking up some of the details which of course can create problems at check in for the passenger.

Visas/ETAs are required by every nationality except New Zealand. Ireland is a candidate for ETA. It must be applied for in advance, but airlines with flights to Australia can generally organise one for you at their service desks for a fee.
Flown to 120 Airports in 44 Countries on 73 Operators. Visited 55 Countries and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

777ER
Crew

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:50 pm

if you live in New Zealand then you don't need a visa to visit Australia and vv
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net

kiwiandrew

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting 777ER (Reply 4):
if you live in New Zealand then you don't need a visa to visit Australia and vv

not quite correct - if you have a New Zealand passport then you dont need a visa to visit Australia ( provided of course you have no criminal record etc etc ) however there are many people living in New Zealand who hold other passports - these people do require either a visa or an E.T.A. depending on what sort of passport they are travelling on )

BDKLEZ

Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 pm

Just a word of warning however, although a Visa or ETA is required, and an ETA is far easier to obtain, please do check (or get your Travel Agent to do it for you) with all carriers on your intended route that they are "approved" to accept an ETA as valid travel documentation beacause not all carriers are.

The reason is that a Visa wil be in your passport and we be easily inspected by anyone who's interested, however an ETA (Electronic Travel Authority) will only give a "yes or no" (whether to accept for travel or not) answer to certain computer inputs, ie Passport no., DOB, Nationaility etc as entered by the carrier at your point of emabarkation. Not all carriers will have this facility or have access to the necessary software to be able to check your ETA's validity or otherwise.

Just be careful, but have fun regardless!  bigthumbsup 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!