AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Decline Of Customer Service (Fast Food)

Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:49 pm

I was down in Orange County, California, recently, and had cause to notice some of the differences in customer service in fast food restaurants between Orange County and Los Angeles County. In fact, some of the worst customer service in this regard I have ever encountered is located in L.A. County.

I feel that there is insufficient paid to the decline of service in Los Angeles compared with places in Orange and Ventura Counties. San Diego is not much better.

Whereas I am greeted with service with a smile in Orange County, the order-takers in Los Angeles seem less friendly. And they seem to have a great deal more difficulty understanding simple orders.

In part, this is a good thing, since it encourages me to avoid fast food overall. And yet, sometimes the necessity of going for a quick bite is unavoidable.

I encourage all those who are dissatisfied with the level of customer service they have received to complain. I generally do.

(BTW, I've been driving around a lot, lately, which helps explain why I haven't been posting as much on this Site, although certainly I'd like to.  Smile )

[Edited 2006-03-31 15:50:16]
What's fair is fair.

Cory6188

RE: Decline Of Customer Service (Fast Food)

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:10 am

Unfortunately, when companies pay people less than $7 per hour, which is far below what any individual needs to survive on, you aren't going to attract individuals whose first priority is customer service.

Bobster2

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:22 am

I eat fast food every day and the service is generally good. The big exception is that when I order apple pies with my meals at McDonald's they forget to give me the pies half the time. This has been a chronic problem for years. Of course, McDonald's also has the worst food so I don't go there very often.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

aa757first

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:27 am

McDonald's has always been the trendsetter in customer service, right?  Yeah sure

AAndrew

deltagator

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:28 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 1):
Unfortunately, when companies pay people less than $7 per hour, which is far below what any individual needs to survive on, you aren't going to attract individuals whose first priority is customer service.

To quote Judge Smails from Caddyshack..."The world needs ditch diggers too." It is a low wage for low tech work. It is this pissy attitude that folks in these low paying positions seem to get because they think they are so much better than the job but yet they don't have the necessary skills, nor want to get them in many case, to better their position in life.

If you want good service with fast food go to In-N-Out Burger. They pay their employees more and charge me more but at the same time provide a better product and service as well. I only wish we had these down here in Georgia.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

stlgph

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):
Whereas I am greeted with service with a smile in Orange County, the order-takers in Los Angeles seem less friendly. And they seem to have a great deal more difficulty understanding simple orders.

At least you are greeted. Try shopping at Abercrombie.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

seb146

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:34 am

Well, since my second job is the glamorous McDs, let me comment.....

You get what you give.

I hate mornings. I am NOT a morning person and I usualy work breakfast. Even with my low wage, it is still my job to smile and tell people to have a good day. What do I get in response? The bag of food ripped out of my hand and growling. Plus, I have no benefits and no chance for benefits. So, hang up your cell phone, do not let your 3 year old child order the food and keep in mind these people do not want to be there, but have to be there because they need money and can not get a good job just yet.

GO CANUCKS!!
Life in the wall is a drag.

deltagator

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:57 am

Well I stand slightly corrected with your comments. You at least realize there is something more out there and are willing to work for it. As for my ordering at McDs in the morning I am very polite, concise with my order and don't snatch anything out of the hands of the person behind the drive through window. I just wish you guys would let me get my change in my wallet before thrusting my delicious McGriddle at me.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

KFLLCFII

Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:58 am

It's come to the point where I don't move an inch from the window unless I've verified that EVERYTHING is correct, even if I'm ordering for the entire crew at work. It might hold up the people behind me for an extra minute or so, but better them having to wait a minute than me having to spend an extra five by parking, running inside with bag(s) of food in hand, squeezing through the order line, barging in front of people waiting for their food, explaining to the crew how they screwed up, RE-explaining to the crew how they screwed up after they show me a puzzled expression because they didn't understand me the first time, waiting for them to finally make it right, AND THEN getting the hell out of there.

If you can't tell, I've been burned by them one too many times, and I'm not gonna let it happen again. Is it fair to everyone else behind me? No. Do I get pissed if someone does it ahead of me? No, because I fully understand.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

zotan

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 2):
I eat fast food every day

Now that's healthy.

Bobster2

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 9):
Now that's healthy

Most of the fast food places nowadays have healthy items, like fancy salads that are healthier than what I eat at home. On some days I get the "bad" stuff like Taco Bell because it's so delicious, but that's not unhealthy if it's only a couple times a week.
"I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn." Jim Morrison

fspilot747

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:41 am

Chances are if you were flippin' patties for 6 bucks an hour you wouldn't be too interested in improving your people skills. Unless you're aiming for manager.

On a related note, check out In n Out burger:

Copied from wikipedia:

"In-N-Out is one of the very few fast-food chains in the United States to pay its associates significantly more than the Federally mandated minimum wage of $5.15/hour and California's minimum wage of $6.75/hour � currently starting pay is a minimum of $9.00/hour. For its full-time associates, the company offers complete benefits, almost unheard of in the rest of the industry. In addition, 'fringe' benefits available to all associates include an annual company picnic, gifts at Christmas, the opportunity to participate in a variety of other company-sponsored activities, as well as paid holidays and paid vacations. On average, each of its 200+ store managers earns just under $100,000 annually, and have been with the company for 13 years. All of the restaurants are closed on Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter. Furthermore, In-N-Out is highly selective in the hiring process of its associates. As a result of these factors, In-N-Out enjoys lower employee turnover, better-trained associates and higher efficiency. It is one of the few chains to receive a positive mention in the book Fast Food Nation."

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:21 pm

If it's true that low-wage workers can't be nicer, then I guess we're all doomed to be served by surly servers. But from my experience, nevertheless, the fast food employees in Orange County were indeed significantly nicer, and I'm pretty sure they get paid the same amount as in Los Angeles.
What's fair is fair.

LTU932

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Aa757first (Reply 3):
McDonald's has always been the trendsetter in customer service, right?

At my local McD's in front of the San Juan de Dios hospital, actually yes. So far they've treated me much better than other fast food joints do. While in contrast, the Subway in the Paseo Colón and most Burger King joints in San José and in the Real Cariari mall in La Aurora have the worst service. Either they're indifferent, or I just catch two of the worst people at the counter, which is why I mostly go either to McDonalds, Church's Chicken (though I personally prefer KFC, but the closest KFCs are too far away from the next bus stations to La Aurora), or Taco Hell.

2H4

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Have you guys been to Chik-Fil-A? The people they have working there seem to take their jobs pretty seriously, and seem to have really positive, friendly attitudes. It's a refreshing change from the typical fast food experience.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Bobster2

Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:49 pm

I don't care that much if people smile or not. All I care about is that do their job well. What do mean by "surly"? Do you mean they are lazy and not doing the work? Or just that they don't smile as much as you want?

The local Wendy's has the hardest working servers I've ever seen. But they're so damn busy it's hard to take the time to smile. I forgive them for that. They always have my order ready instantly when I get to the driveup and then they immediately move on to get the next one ready. That's the kind of service I like, not chit chat.

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 15):
I don't care that much if people smile or not. All I care about is that do their job well. What do mean by "surly"? Do you mean they are lazy and not doing the work? Or just that they don't smile as much as you want?

I guess I expect prompt and accurate service with a smile. It helps brighten the day.  Smile

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
Have you guys been to Chik-Fil-A? The people they have working there seem to take their jobs pretty seriously, and seem to have really positive, friendly attitudes. It's a refreshing change from the typical fast food experience.

I can testify as to that -- I was at a local Chik-Fil-A in Orange County over the weekend, and the young lady who took my order was very nice.  Smile
What's fair is fair.

EA CO AS

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting AerospaceFan (Thread starter):

It's because you're not saying it right - tell them you want "una hamburguesa, por favor," and you'll receive far quicker, more courteous service.  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AerospaceFan
Topic Author

Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:11 pm

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 17):
It's because you're not saying it right - tell them you want "una hamburguesa, por favor," and you'll receive far quicker, more courteous service.

Maybe, but would the cashiers take my pesos?

Big grin
What's fair is fair.

767Lover

Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 15):
I don't care that much if people smile or not.

Me neither, but I do expect:

1) cashiers to refrain from talking on the phone while dealing with me (this happens a lot in places where phones are in the cashier stand, i.e., at places like Best Buy--heck, with everyone and their dog having a cell phone, it happens everywhere)

2) cashiers to refrain from joking around with other coworkers while dealing with me (I've stood at the counter and waited for the flirting to stop before they would help me)

3) More than an eyes-averted "grunt" when speaking to me

I'm sorry if getting a minimum wage precludes these things, but if someone is doing a job, do it right or don't sign up.

bhmbaglock

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 4):
If you want good service with fast food go to In-N-Out Burger. They pay their employees more and charge me more but at the same time provide a better product and service as well. I only wish we had these down here in Georgia.

We've started getting a few Whataburgers over here in BHM which are very similar and a refreshing change - better food too. Have you picked up any of these yet? Don't know if they pay better but wouldn't surprise me.

We also have Milo's which is a local chain and definitely has superior service and food. My favorite is that their burgers are like the old BK ones with a semi-spicy sauce. They also have great tea being a southern joint.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
Have you guys been to Chik-Fil-A?

Very good service in most cases. We also have Guthrie's with somewhat similar food(less selection but better quality) and their service is outstanding. It also doesn't hurt that they almost always have beyond attractive girls taking your order.

My pet peeve with fast food is the evil combination of an intercom system that could reduce James Earl Jones' diction to a level equal with Charlie Brown's teacher combined with the fact that the order takers seem invariably to be the ones with the worst command of the English language.
Where are all of my respected members going?

deltagator

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting BHMBAGLOCK (Reply 20):
We've started getting a few Whataburgers over here in BHM which are very similar and a refreshing change - better food too. Have you picked up any of these yet? Don't know if they pay better but wouldn't surprise me.

We don't have them here in ATL yet but when down in PNS visiting the in-laws we usually make a stop there. They are pretty good for fast food.

Nordair

Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:55 am

It is a low wage for low tech work. It is this pissy attitude that folks in these low paying positions seem to get because they think they are so much better than the job but yet they don't have the necessary skills, nor want to get them in many case, to better their position in life.

Ah Delta, you are indeed the greatest April Fool year round this site has. You provide such entertainment. Thank you.
"It is never legitimate to use the words of scripture to promote a loveless agenda." - Right Rev. Dr. Peter Short

WellHung

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:01 am

Who the hell goes into a fast food restaurant expecting anything other than cheap food at cheap prices? You get what you pay for. I'm sure any of the fat, cheap bastards who regularly eat at fast food restaurants would rather just get their double cheeseburger for $0.99 than pay more to see some pimply-faced teenager with a shit-eating brace face grin handing over the food.

2H4

Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 23):
Who the hell

I'm sure any of the fat, cheap bastards

some pimply-faced teenager with a shit-eating brace face grin

Dude....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

WellHung

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:08 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 24):

What, did that strike a nerve? You having a Big Mac attack?

Big version: Width: 50 Height: 36 File size: 1kb

fspilot747

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:33 am

I eat fast food every day

Hopefully, for your sake, you're talking about Subway.

I have a weakness for Taco Supremes from Taco Bell.

2H4

Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:48 am

Quoting WellHung (Reply 25):
What, did that strike a nerve? You having a Big Mac attack?

Not at all, I just hope for your sake your blood pressure is in check...you seem pretty stressed out...  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Superfly

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:29 am

FSPilot747:
Thanks for that review on In-In-Out.
That's an example of smart capitalism!  bigthumbsup 
In-In-Out serves a quality line of food and treat there employees right.
It's no wonder why there is always a long line at all of there restaurants. They are a huge success at every location they open.

I never expect great customer service at a fast food chain but I get great service anyway because I am a nice guy. Big grin
Bring back the Concorde

TuffGong

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:32 am

Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase...
Meet you at the Ol' Yacht club for a pint.

2H4

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:37 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 26):
I have a weakness for Taco Supremes from Taco Bell.

Dangerous, working 1/4 mile away from one, eh?  Wink

Quoting Superfly (Reply 28):
I never expect great customer service at a fast food chain but I get great service anyway because I am a nice guy.

That's a good point, Superfly. It's amazing how few people actually use words like "please" and "thank you". Often, common courtesy is all that's required to receive great customer service.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Superfly

Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:49 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 30):
It's amazing how few people actually use words like "please" and "thank you". Often, common courtesy is all that's required to receive great customer service.

...or just a simple smile. I've seen some rude @ssholes that seem to enjoy giving the people behind the counter a hard time. They do this because they know they can get away with it. Sometimes I'd like to just punch these pricks in the face! They tend to pick on those with broken English making there job even more difficult.
Bring back the Concorde

deltagator

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Nordair (Reply 22):
It is a low wage for low tech work. It is this pissy attitude that folks in these low paying positions seem to get because they think they are so much better than the job but yet they don't have the necessary skills, nor want to get them in many case, to better their position in life.

Ah Delta, you are indeed the greatest April Fool year round this site has. You provide such entertainment. Thank you.

Think of me what you will. You're entitled to your opinion as I'm entitled to mine. I always treat service employees with a smile, say please and thank you, and treat them with respect. It amazes me when I am treated back with the disrespect and poor customer service that the thread starter was asking about.

747400F

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:05 am

The thing piss me off about McD staff in this country is that they ALLWYAS come up with the sales talk. I order a menu, reply: Will that be a large menu? NO IT WILL NOT - IF I HAD WANTED A BIG MENU I WOULD HAVE SAID SO!

Just give me what I ordered - spare me the sales talk!

[Edited 2006-04-02 20:05:51]
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

seb146

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:49 am

Couple of points

1. We don't like customers to hang out at the window checking their order, feeding their kids, making phone calls, putting their money away, etc. because this business is based on speed. One of the people behind you may be our boss's boss's boss and we need to go quickly. Check the order. Not a problem, but do it where the drive-thru lane widens. That's why it was built that way.

2. We are also required to do the sales talk. That too is part of our job. I hate asking because 99.9% of the people know exactly what they want and don't like me asking if they want larger size. But, if our boss's boss's boss comes through, that is what is expected.

My reason for working at McDs: I have tried many other careers. I have been a DJ at radio stations, truck driver, customer service rep for Verizon Wireless, and department store sales. I currently hold two jobs because the other jobs either led to so much stress I spent all my extra money on booze, or it would require me to live someplace that I would end up spending all my money on booze. I am happy with my life right now. I am thinking of getting my real estate licence over the summer so I can quit McDs, but I am well, not drinking, and living in a place that I love. I am happy not with the acutal job but with my life.

GO CANUCKS!!

2H4

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting 747400F (Reply 33):
Just give me what I ordered - spare me the sales talk!

I think Barnes & Noble is one of the worst companies in this respect. Each and every purchase..even if it's a single greeting card...prompts the cashier to ask "Will this be on your Barnes & Noble card today?"

Trying to sell the card is one thing. Making the assumption that all customers have one...knowing full well most don't...is, in my opinion, an irritating and cheap sales tactic.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

747400F

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:21 am

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 34):
We don't like customers to hang out at the window checking their order, feeding their kids, making phone calls, putting their money away, etc. because this business is based on speed

I may be based on speed, but that is not the custumers problem. If the staff don't get the order right or don't have the right amount of products ready, then you're just gonna have to live with custumers checking that you do it right or that they wait at the servicewindow for the whole order to be fullfilled.

I hate asking because 99.9% of the people know exactly what they want and don't like me asking if they want larger size.

fine - then don't! And if you still ask be prepared to be talked back at. If you don't like it try to change the system from within - just don't expect your custumers to take it face down!
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

767Lover

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:34 am

My reason for working at McDs: I have tried many other careers. I have been a DJ at radio stations, truck driver, customer service rep for Verizon Wireless, and department store sales. I currently hold two jobs because the other jobs either led to so much stress I spent all my extra money on booze, or it would require me to live someplace that I would end up spending all my money on booze. I am happy with my life right now. I am thinking of getting my real estate licence over the summer so I can quit McDs, but I am well, not drinking, and living in a place that I love. I am happy not with the acutal job but with my life.

Well, no need to explain yourself. No shame in working for McD's...glad you found something for the time being that can enable you to enjoy your life, if not the actual job! Good for you.

prosa

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 am

A decline in customer service at fast food joint? So what's that, from zero to a negative number?
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

senorcarnival

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:19 am

It always seem that fast food employees treat me better when I use words like "please" and "thank you." Coincidence?

Of course, there are some instances where that person has a bad day and there's nothing no one can do to change that. In the wise words of Randal Graves from the movie "Clerks:"
"There are other jobs, and they pay better money. You're bound to be qualified for at least one of them. So what's stopping you?"
Oh no, she's getting impatient! Take a stab at it!

2H4

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Senorcarnival (Reply 39):
It always seem that fast food employees treat me better when I use words like "please" and "thank you." Coincidence?

Not just fast food employees. I'd say this is the case with almost any customer service experience. Smile, make eye contact, say "please" and "thank-you", and simply treat them like human beings, and (usually) great service will result.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

LOT767-300ER

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):

Its Chic-Fil-A...and I was going to go there now...until I realized one important factor...ITS SUNDAY.

JBirdAV8r

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:07 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 41):
Its Chic-Fil-A...and I was going to go there now...until I realized one important factor...ITS SUNDAY.

Actually, it's Chick-Fil-A. You're right, it's closed on Sunday--always has been.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

seb146

Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:40 am

Quoting 747400F (Reply 36):
may be based on speed, but that is not the custumers problem. If the staff don't get the order right or don't have the right amount of products ready, then you're just gonna have to live with custumers checking that you do it right or that they wait at the servicewindow for the whole order to be fullfilled.

And when I ask if there is anything I can help with, they always tell me "The other places I go always screw up my order." Well, guess what? This must be a different place for you. You just admitted that. There are times when they see me or my co-workers check the order before we give it to the customer and they still insist on going thought it! Our scores are supposed to suffer because of someone else's mistakes? Our scores are supposed to suffer because the customer is allowed to make phone calls? Our scores are supposed to suffer because the customer can't pull to a parking stall to feed their kids? I don't think so.

Quoting 747400F (Reply 36):
fine - then don't! And if you still ask be prepared to be talked back at. If you don't like it try to change the system from within - just don't expect your custumers to take it face down!

I have tried to "change the system from within" and that just gets me in trouble. We have to do what the big bosses tell us to do even though we know it will make the customers upset. I have even told the big bosses the customers don't want to hear sales pitches, but the big bosses tell me it brings in more money.

Example: Our current promotion is the spicy chicken sandwich. We must say "Would you like to try a spicy chicken sandwich?" Because of that line, in my 4-hour lunch shift (I actually work 8 hours, but the other 4 hours are during breakfast), I end up selling as many as 3 spicy chicken sandwiches. I know it does not work but we get more points on our scores and more recognition and fewer visits from the big bosses, so less stress for us. But, not more money for the store.

I don't know about you, but I will take less on-the-job stress any day!

Besides, my favorite part of the job is when the customers complain too much, I have a mute button on my order taking head set. hehehehehe...... I can make comments to them without them hearing me. Yes, I am very very careful about that.

GO CANUCKS!!

kaddyuk

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:01 am

I eat fast food every day and the service is generally good

That is why your country has such a high rate of obesity...

Quoting Bobster2 (Reply 10):
but that's not unhealthy if it's only a couple times a week.

Doctors reccomend eating macdonalds no more than ONCE a month... even then thats regarded as "excessive". I eat takeaway no more than twice a month... Not only does it have health implications, its friggin expensive...

I can make fresh burgers at home for less than 50p per burger!!!

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 11):
On a related note, check out In n Out burger

I love In & Out... I always go for a 3x3 burger and take my fries animal style cos my eyes are bigger than my belly... Big grin
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

deltagator

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 44):
I love In & Out... I always go for a 3x3 burger and take my fries animal style cos my eyes are bigger than my belly...

And you're talking about us Americans being fat asses! Do you get the 3x3 animal style as well? I can hear your arteries cloggin from here. That said, In-N-Out is the best!

WellHung

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:26 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 27):
Not at all, I just hope for your sake your blood pressure is in check...you seem pretty stressed out... Wink

I appreciate your concern, however, regarding elevated blood pressure, you'd be better served worrying about Billy Bob Supersize and his Happy Meal family.

2H4

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:30 am

Quoting Kaddyuk (Reply 44):
That is why your country has such a high rate of obesity...Doctors reccomend eating macdonalds no more than ONCE a month...

I agree with you, Kaddy, but at the same time, it's a lot easier to find and purchase healthy, high-quality food in other countries (or regions of this country).

In order to purchase fresh fruit and veggies, for example, I have no choice but to funnel my way through traffic into a giant supermarket "supercenter", spend 5 minutes finding my way from my car to the grocery section, pick out what I need, stand in line for another 5-10 minutes, walk back to my car, and then sit in traffic for a bit before finally getting back on the road.

Having spent time in Europe, I miss being able to pop into a small streetside market, grab a few things, and pop out.

Honestly, I think there's a link between city planning (or lack therof) and the obesity problem. Before long, everything we purchase will only be available in giant "supercenters", rather than traditional "downtown"-style areas.

Maybe someday we'll learn....

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank