ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Colorado High School Bans US Flag

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:00 am

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/ar...45009990014&ncid=NWS00010000000001

Boy doesn't this just chap your ass . . . .

The usual  redflag 

L.V. Teens Skip School To March/Waive Mexico Flag by Iowaman 2006-03-30 05:57:47
High School Reunions... Your Experiences? by Carmenlu15 2006-03-18 07:51:59
New Orleans Katrina Flooded School Bus Up On Ebay by Tom in NO 2006-03-29 22:00:04
London To Paris High Speed Train? by FXramper 2006-03-18 07:25:26
Joining The Mile High Club by Slovacek747 2006-03-19 06:47:24
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

dl021

RE: Colorado High School Bans US Flag

Tell the principal to hold a civics class to show students the right way to wave the flags, and tell them that using the flag to start fights is no better than any other misuse.

Tell the kids waving Mexican flags that they aren't doing themselves any favors because they're basically spitting in the face of the other students.

Then get the parents in to gain control over their kids so learning can start again.

Or just revoke funding and fire the principal.

[Edited 2006-04-02 02:12:07]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

seanp11

AOL news on April Fools Day...... excuse me for taking this with a grain of salt.  Wink

aloges

Quoting Seanp11 (Reply 2):
AOL news on April Fools Day...... excuse me for taking this with a grain of salt.

Allow me to help out the rest of the gang...  Wink

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 3):
I've just e-mailed her.

classic  footinmouth  I dare to say

[Edited 2006-04-02 02:17:54]
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

CVG72

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:13 am

Here's a link for the principal

And let me say she is FUGLY!!

CVG72  yummy 
Roll Tide // Next: UA/EV/LH CVG-EWR-FRA-DUS-MUC-EWR-CVG

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 4):
classic  footinmouth  I dare to say

Not at all my friend . . . .

Classic WTF are you thinking principal? Look at the AOL Poll, look at the CNN poll, on whether people concur with her actions. 88% do NOT. This isn't communist China where the countries flag can simply be tossed away.

What baffles me is where are the A-Net "Freedom of Speech" widgets who would usually jump up and down at an action like this - ESPECIALLY, most especially, if this action were the burning of said flag or the flying of another countries flag - declaring it an immediate violation of the First Amendment Freedom of Speech.

Hypocritical bastards that they are won't chime in here . . . . because - well, they ARE hypocrites!
 irked 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

bushpilot

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:12 pm

I see a school that is not being run by school staff but by the students. To even let tensions reach that sort of level is uncalled for. To ban the flag is a bit baffling to me. Ban flags for them being pushed into someones face? Ok so they wont use flags anymore, but they will use thier fists instead. The whole thing reeks of nonsense, this is an attempt by school staff to wrestle back order from the students. But violating each and every one of them's rights.

copaair737

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:13 pm

This is total BS. Banning the American flag in America is ridiculous. These illegal immigrants have no bearing on anything, yet they are starting huge problems in schools and in cities. Banning the US Flag? What a load of S**t. THis is totally ridiculous.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

USAFHummer

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:49 pm

Here's a link for the principal - I've just e-mailed her. I would hope other will do the same. Shameful.

http://www.d91.k12.id.us/skyline/adm...o.htm

ANC, that principal is probably going "What the hell is this email about?"...hate to point it out to you buddy, but you wrote the principal of Skyline High School located in Idaho Falls, Idaho ...the school in question with the flag banning is Skyline High School in Longmont, Colorado...might want to try again with the right school ( http://www.stvrain.k12.co.us/skyline/administration.html ) if you want your message to get through...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:54 pm

Quoting USAFHummer (Reply 9):

Thanks for showing me this incorrect link. However, the e-mail I sent went to the proper location. Verified.

Brendan03

Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:56 pm

I don't know the US Constition, but doesn't this go totally against this? This principal should get a swift kick in the ass... and so should anyone using the Flag as a rallying point, It's quite shameful behaviour really when the one symbol that sums up your whole country is used in such behaviour...

All I can say really is "Shame on them..." (Both Principal and Student)

(Down with the pink)
Coolier than thou.

aaden

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:08 pm

I don't know the US Constition, but doesn't this go totally against this? This principal should get a swift kick in the ass... and so should anyone using the Flag as a rallying point, It's quite shameful behaviour really when the one symbol that sums up your whole country is used in such behaviour.

bigthumbsup 

feel free to wave your flags but not in the face of another student that is of a different race.

S12PPL

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:21 pm

Nice to see the kids behave in a way that is contructive.

ANCFlyer....you aren't seriously saying the school is at fault, right? I mean...the kids are being morons, as only kids can be. You want to blame the school for they're ignorance???
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

alberchico

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:32 pm

Well in order to avoid a potential riot in school, then yes, not showing the U.S. flag would be a good idea.

If illegals do not feel comfortable in front of the U.S flag then down it must go.......
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

j_hallgren

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:35 pm

Saw a brief interview of this principal on TV...I'm definitely paraphrasing here to save typing but as I heard it, flying the Mexican flag was ok because it represented "their" heritage but the American flag was being used to harass those with the other flag, which was not ok....
That just seems 100% backwards to me! It should be the other way around!
So "our" heritage doesn't count but "theirs" does??
What would happen if we went into Mexico and started waving the US flag and insisting that we be allowed to move there with no paperwork?
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 12):
You want to blame the school for they're ignorance???

Nope, I blame the kids, the parents and the school for letting this get out of hand.

Where the school's fault lies is with banning the US Flag. If the school administration is so damned weak they have to resort this nonsense in order to maintain - or attempt to maintain - a semblance of order, perhaps that school's administration needs to find a new line of work.

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 12):
I mean...the kids are being morons, as only kids can be.

Being a kid is not an excuse to be a moron. It's only a convenient way of dismissing it: "kids will be kids". That's  redflag .

flyf15

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:38 pm

I went to high school at another school about 5 miles away from this one. We used to always make fun of them, its a pretty messed up school...

alberchico

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
If the school administration is so damned weak they have to resort this nonsense in order to maintain - or attempt to maintain - a semblance of order, perhaps that school's administration needs to find a new line of work.

If fights break out because many people disagree with the United State's policy on immigration, I hardly think that's the schools fault........
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Brendan03

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 15):
It's only a convenient way of dismissing it: "kids will be kids".

If kids will be kids, then perhaps parents should pull their fingers out of their asses and smack the kid around some

The kid will soon learn that everytime He/She Misbehaves = A kick in the ass

This whole crap about "It's bad to spank your kid" is why kids are little cu... Yeah, That word, these days

Discipline will do wonders... without me getting into the whole rant about how to bring up a kid... I agree with ANC, If they think that banning the national flag is the solution, You americans might as well just forget that you're american and about the founding forefathers and basically the entire history of the country
Coolier than thou.

MKEdude

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Colorado High School Bans US Flag

As it turns out this wasn't even half the story as flags from all countries were banned, resulting from incidents like the following...

"Skyline High School Principal Tom Stumpf said American flags were brazenly waved in the faces of Hispanic students and in one case a Mexican flag was thrown into the face of another student."

With all due respect I don't think you know what it's like to work in a high school, particularly one that has a large number of ethnic groups attending. At the best of times it can seem like a powder keg just waiting for some simple misunderstanding to blow. Having been through several racially charged incidents at the school I work at, I can sympathize with the radical actions they had to take.

Had he banned only the American flag I would join you in protest, but he banned ALL flags, an important distinction to make. (I am sure that there were numerous other steps taken that did not make the article) Had this principal banned all flags but the American one, or banned no flags altogether then there may have been a full-blown riot at the school. Had this occurred would anyone have rushed to his defense? Or is this a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation?

I don't know any more about this situation that I did not glean from the article, so for all I know there could be hundreds of other factors at work here. But spending every day working in a large suburban high school as I do I can see how a something like this can quickly get out of hand all because of a handful of (let's be frank here and call it like it is) racists who use their respective flags as instruments of hate.

Without any further information I would give this principal the benefit of the doubt.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

Brendan03

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 17):
If fights break out because many people disagree with the United State's policy on immigration, I hardly think that's the schools fault........

It's the schools responcibility to deal with this in a sensible manner, not take the easy solution...
Coolier than thou.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:49 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 13):
If illegals do not feel comfortable in front of the U.S flag then down it must go.......

Horseshit - if illegals don't like the US Flag, let them take their illegal ass outta here . . . that simple.

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 17):

Anytime there is a loss of order in an organized environment - e.g. a school - it's the fault of the organization for failing to maintain order and/or heed warning signs that order is about to disappear.

If you think for a millisecond that banning the US Flag (or any other flag) at this or any other school is going to prevent a fight - if one is going to happen - then you're simply naive. If anything - it has added fuel to the fire.

Quoting J_Hallgren (Reply 14):

Of course!!!! That's whole gawddamn problem in this country today . . . trying too damned hard to please everyone else . . . . can't say a prayer in school - might offend that fuckin' idiot on the west coast (can't remember his name at the moment), can't say Christmas in school (might offend the Jews or the Muslims), can't fly the US flag in school (might offend the illegal Mexican immigrants).

Best be damned glad I'm not in that grid square, I'd be parading around in front of that school with the Stars and Stripes flying high!

Falcon84

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:50 pm

I understand the "right" to wave the flag, as a few have pointed out. However, if it IS being used as a symbol of intimindation and contempt towards someone else, I'm certainly not going to condone that either.

The flag shouldn't be a symbol of xenophobia or jingoism, or used to demean others. It should be used as a symbol of pride, not arrogance.

If the flag was being used in the maner described, then I don't have a problem with it and all national flags being banned, until cooler heads prevail.

Maybe those who were using the flag in such an unseemly manner should be given civics lessons, and what the flag REALLY stand for.
Work Right, Fly Hard

alberchico

Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
If anything - it has added fuel to the fire.

Exactly how can it make things worse???

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:02 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 23):
Exactly how can it make things worse???

C'Mon . . .you can't be this daft?!

The US Citizen students will now blame the Illegal Mexican Immigrant students for the ban on "their US Flag" along with the other problems the school is/was facing. . . . more gas on the fire.

I suspect, fairly soon, there'll be flat out violence . . . .

alberchico

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:05 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 24):
The US Citizen students will now blame the Illegal Mexican Immigrant students for the ban on "their US Flag" along with the other problems the school is/was facing. . . . more gas on the fire.

I suspect, fairly soon, there'll be flat out violence . . . .

The people who support illegal immigrants will probally sit quietly and not make a peep. Nothing will happen out of this........

halls120

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:09 pm

Saw a brief interview of this principal on TV...I'm definitely paraphrasing here to save typing but as I heard it, flying the Mexican flag was ok because it represented "their" heritage but the American flag was being used to harass those with the other flag, which was not ok....
That just seems 100% backwards to me! It should be the other way around!

Welcome to modern US political correctness.

What would happen if we went into Mexico and started waving the US flag and insisting that we be allowed to move there with no paperwork?

We'd probably get our a**es kicked.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 21):
Quoting Alberchico (Reply 13):

Horseshit - if illegals don't like the US Flag, let them take their illegal ass outta here . . . that simple.

Agree 100%.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):
If the flag was being used in the maner described, then I don't have a problem with it and all national flags being banned, until cooler heads prevail.

I do. This is the United States of America. It is our national flag. That gutless principal had no business banning the flag outright. While I would have no problem with his supending a student who used the flag to harass or intimidate, how is the simple act of wearing a flag on my shirt an act of intimidation, contempt, or xenophobia?

When I see a demonstration of supposed loyal American citizens protesting a proposed law waving nothing but Mexican flags, I have to wonder just how loyal they really are......
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

alberchico

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:13 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 26):
When I see a demonstration of supposed loyal American citizens protesting a proposed law waving nothing but Mexican flags, I have to wonder just how loyal they really are......

are you saying they are traitors ???

halls120

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:16 pm

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 27):

are you saying they are traitors ???

No. If I thought they were traitors, I would have said so. They appear to be US citizens that feel more loyalty to Mexico than to the US.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Falcon84

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:17 pm

I do. This is the United States of America. It is our national flag. That gutless principal had no business banning the flag outright.

Sure he does. He's responsible for the school. Now, had he just banned the American flag, then I'd take serious issue with it. But he banned ALL flags, until people can cool off, why is that a problem? It's an affront to me that the flag be used in a way to intimidate others, just as much as if someone set it on fire or stomped on it. It's should be used respectfully, not as a way to intimidate or demean, IMHO.
Work Right, Fly Hard

halls120

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 29):
Sure he does. He's responsible for the school. Now, had he just banned the American flag, then I'd take serious issue with it. But he banned ALL flags, until people can cool off, why is that a problem? It's an affront to me that the flag be used in a way to intimidate others, just as much as if someone set it on fire or stomped on it. It's should be used respectfully, not as a way to intimidate or demean, IMHO.

You didn't answer my question. How is the simple act of wearing a flag on my shirt an act of intimidation, contempt, or xenophobia?

Falcon84

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 30):
How is the simple act of wearing a flag on my shirt an act of intimidation, contempt, or xenophobia?

If it's an act that simple, than it isn't. But if it's being used in a manner where one is shouting insults at someone else, or demeaning their ethnicity or race, than that's disrespecting what the flag truly stands for, imho.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting AAden (Reply 11):
feel free to wave your flags but not in the face of another student that is of a different race.

checkmark  I don't like banning the flag at all, but if it came down to either that or having it used to abuse others, I would ban the flag. If the kids can't handle it respectfully, they shouldn't be able to handle it, as far as I'm concerned.

How is the simple act of wearing a flag on my shirt an act of intimidation, contempt, or xenophobia?

It's not. But realistically, how is the administration of a school supposed to determine each individual case between people who were just wearing the a shirt with the flag on it for the heck of it, and those who wore it to demean others? It's not as easy as one would think. Kids will try to exploit loopholes. Therefore, you have to close all the loopholes.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

oldeuropean

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:52 pm

Oh my gosh, you really must have problems in the US.
In Germany you won`t find a flag in schools, beside of some holidays.

Here another example for the daily madness in American schools:
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/education/8335500/detail.html

Axel

[Edited 2006-04-02 13:58:58]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

777236ER

Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
This isn't communist China where the countries flag can simply be tossed away.

In Communist China, surely the flag and the ideals it represents are even more sacred than in the US? The US is supposed to be a nation united by freedom, not united under a flag.
Your bone's got a little machine

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 33):
Oh my gosh, you really must have problems in the US.

Oh my Gosh, that's your opinion - cultural differences . . .

And I find your laughing somewhat offensive.

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/....html

And this has what exactly to do with the banning of the US Flag by this pinhead principal??? Not even the same league. How you can even draw the comparison is beyond me.  crazy 

For the record, I think that crap in Kansas City is ridiculous as well. Red Highlights distracting other students . . . what a load of crap.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 34):
The US is supposed to be a nation united by freedom, not united under a flag.

OK, here we go . . . let me explain this simple - rather elementary (read that: easy for you to understand) ideal here 777: The flag represents that very freedom you describe . . . get it? It truly is a simple concept.

aloges

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:14 pm

http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/....html

rotfl  Reminds me of the fight some ("notoriously female") teachers at my old school were always on to: they wanted the width of tank top straps to be regulated, neck holder tops to be banned altogether and whatever else you can imagine. Of course none of that ever happened, otherwise it would have been "Welcome to totalitarianism!"

Though it's slightly odd no one ever tried banning some of the actually ugly clothing on the boys in the school... just the girls facing envy from some less-than-great-looking teachers.  scratchchin 
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

777236ER

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:18 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
let me explain this simple - rather elementary (read that: easy for you to understand)

No personal insults. Exactly what is your education? Exactly how many retired soldiers / law enforcement officers have good degrees?

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 35):
The flag represents that very freedom you describe . . . get it? It truly is a simple concept.

It could also represent torture in Guantanamo, execution of people who were children when they committed their crime, isolationism, obesity, ignorance, nationalism, imperialism and all much more. Seeing a flag as a metaphor is entirely subjective.

Get it?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 37):
No personal insults. Exactly what is your education? Exactly how many retired soldiers / law enforcement officers have good degrees?

Ha Ha Ha . . . gee, where's PJ when you need him.

Get it?

Much better than you do . . . .

No personal insults.

If the combat boot fits . . . I'm surprised I had to break down in such simple terms. I might not agree with you, but you're no idiot, and you don't play one well.

777236ER

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 38):
Much better than you do . . . .

But my point is, putting so much emphasis on a flag is dangerous. Hitler did that, and look what happened there. Patriotism is fine, nationalism is bad. The idea that the American flag represents good ie. freedoms, justice etc, also implies tacitly that the US is inherantly better than other countries.

The flag doesn't represent freedom, the flag represents the US - whatever that is.

It is only a piece of cloth, it's not a symbol for anything other than a country. Given that the country represents an almost infinite number of opinions and views, the flag can represent anything you want - hence the danger.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:37 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 39):
But my point is, putting so much emphasis on a flag is dangerous

I do not disagree with this. However - banning the US Flag in a US School is - without doubt - assinine. It's a cheap shot by a lousy school administrator who can't handle the students he has . . . and it solved nothing.

also implies tacitly that the US is inherantly better than other countries.

No it does not.

I've been to a lot of countries on this planet and all of them have their benefits . . . and drawbacks . . . this one included.

It is only a piece of cloth, it's not a symbol for anything other than a country.

Incorrect again. . . . while it might be a simply piece of cloth it is certainly more than just a "symbol".

Lets not divert this thread into another "what is a Flag" thread - there are plenty of those, and I hate repeating myself . . .

777236ER

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
also implies tacitly that the US is inherantly better than other countries.

No it does not.

If the US flag represents freedom, in your mind, that surely means the US is inherantly free.

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 41):
If the US flag represents freedom, in your mind, that surely means the US is inherantly free.

One aspect, yes. That is NOT what your earlier statement read:

implies tacitly that the US is inherantly better than other countries.

The UK is inherently free, Germany is inherently free, Mexico is inherently free, Canada is inherently free . . . displaying the national flag of any of those nations on public buildings does not make any of them - nor the US - inherently 'better' than any other country.

777236ER

Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:54 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 42):
The UK is inherently free, Germany is inherently free, Mexico is inherently free, Canada is inherently free

And if, in your mind, the US flag represents freedom, what does it matter if the German, British, Canadian or Mexican flag is flown in public buildings where the public want that flag displayed?

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 43):
And if, in your mind, the US flag represents freedom, what does it matter if the German, British, Canadian or Mexican flag is flown in public buildings where the public want that flag displayed?

Fly the German, UK, Mexican flag all day long on German, UK, or Mexican buildings - I would expect it and consider it proper.

In the US, on public buildings, the appropriate flag is this one:

Now - you'll have to excuse me - it's time for sleep . . . be back in about 8 hours.

halls120

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 31):

If it's an act that simple, than it isn't. But if it's being used in a manner where one is shouting insults at someone else, or demeaning their ethnicity or race, than that's disrespecting what the flag truly stands for, imho.

But as I understand the reports, the principal bbanned all flags - regardless of how they were being used.

"LONGMONT, Colo. (April 1) - Dozens of high school students protested a temporary school policy forbidding students from displaying the U.S. flag - as well as flags from other countries - amid racial tensions following immigration rallies."

Quoting Mir (Reply 32):
It's not. But realistically, how is the administration of a school supposed to determine each individual case between people who were just wearing the a shirt with the flag on it for the heck of it, and those who wore it to demean others? It's not as easy as one would think. Kids will try to exploit loopholes. Therefore, you have to close all the loopholes

Displaying the US flag is not a "loophole." Basically, the school administration took the easy - and coward's - way out.

Exactly what is your education? Exactly how many retired soldiers / law enforcement officers have good degrees?

Virtually every officer in the US armed forces has a bachelor's degree, and most have one or two graduate degrees. In the senior enlisted ranks, bachelor's degrees are very common.

Nice try, though.

It is only a piece of cloth, it's not a symbol for anything other than a country.

In your country, perhaps. After all, your national anthem celebrates the Queen. In our national anthem, we celebrate the flag. A concept you apparently don't understand, just like some Americans don't understand why you honor an outmoded and undemocratic form of government.

You can dis our reverence for the flag all you want. Just don't get too arrogant about what YOU consider worth honoring....

ltbewr

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41 pm

A better form of protest, and one legally protected, it for the non-USA citizen/non-resident students to not do the Pledge of Allegience. What was happening at that high school was that some self-rightous Americans engaging in some very ugly and most dirtubing forms of 'patriotism'. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled many years ago that all children, even if here illegally per their parents, have the right to, and the states the obligation to provide basic eduction up to age 16 or really up to the end of High School.

767Lover

Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:48 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):
However - banning the US Flag in a US School is - without doubt - assinine. It's a cheap shot by a lousy school administrator who can't handle the students he has . . . and it solved nothing.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 45):
Basically, the school administration took the easy - and coward's - way out.

I agree. It's sad that in an institution devoted to EDUCATION, they can't find a way to discuss the situation rationally and open up a healthy dialogue between the students that would lead to more understanding of each other's positions.

Another example of how the public education system is evolving into nothing more than glorified babysitting. (I mean no disrespect to teachers...there are a lot of really good ones out there, but it seems that more and more, school administrators are taking the easy route to things.)

vafi88

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:00 am

Having visited Longmont, Colorado, and more specifically the school in mention - That doesn't surprise me one bit.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 am

Wisconsin law requires the flag to be displayed:

118.06(1)

(1) Every school board and the governing body of every private school shall cause the U.S. flag to be displayed in the schoolroom or from a flagstaff on each school ground during the school hours of each school day.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail