Banco
Topic Author

Florida School Declares London Unsafe, Cancel Trip

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:16 am

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....AID=/20060317/NEWS01/60317033/1075

Yeah sure

Followed by a rather childish, but somewhat understandable, retaliation from London officials:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/04/02/tourism.dispute.ap/
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

LeonB1985

RE: Florida School Declares London Unsafe, Cancel Trip

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:20 am

And the USA is, of course, at no risk from terrorists at all...  Yeah sure
From the construction site that is better-known as London Heathrow Airport

piercey

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:22 am

Our school is still going to Paris and look at all the cr@p going on their! this is a load of cr@p.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

LOT767-300ER

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:31 am

100% with London here, what idiocy by Florida.

LeonB1985

RE: Florida School Declares London Unsafe, Cancel

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:35 am

Also - who knows what could happen in the world before the 2007 New Year's Day Parade...! Or do the Floridians have intelligence that something is going to 'go down' on that particular day in London?! Maybe the USA will advise all its citizens to leave the UK, it's just far too dangerous!

[Edited 2006-04-02 20:39:03]

Banco
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting LeonB1985 (Reply 4):
Maybe the USA will advise all its citizens to leave the UK, it's just far too dangerous!

Well, it's fair enough to criticise the school, but we don't need to widen it to the whole country. Governor Bush's comments seem fairly scathing about the decision.

skidmarks

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:42 am

Seems that the isolationist policy of some years back is alive and well in Florida. Ah well, a lot of disappointed kids are going to be voting something else when it's their turn to vote.

Lets face it, the most dangerous thing in London is Ken Livingstone Big grin

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

Aeroflot777

Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:51 am

Very idiotic and childish decision!

Aeroflot777

JOSEMEX

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:02 am

From the article:

>>We’re leery of loading 140 students onto an airplane and flying across the ocean to London, where they just had a terrorist attack,”<<

By the same (stupid) measure, shouldn't for instance NYC be dozens of times more dangerous than London?

L-188

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 2):
Our school is still going to Paris and look at all the cr@p going on their! this is a load of cr@p.

Yeah but if you threaten them, they at least surrender.... Big grin
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

kaddyuk

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:08 am

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 6):
the most dangerous thing in London is Ken Livingstone

Wink
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

highpeaklad

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:52 am

I've always thought the safest time to visit anywhere was just after aterrorist attack, or at least to a place that has been attacked. At least those places know the threat is real and don't have the "it won't happen here " mentality.

I find the phrase in the article "He said there are plenty of opportunities for marching bands such as college bowl games or holiday parades in major cities, where student safety is assured." particularly chilling.

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

767Lover

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:08 am

I think it's wrong to not go, but then again we live in such a litigious society I imagine the school board is afraid of being liable in the (unlikely) event that something happens.

Espion007

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 am

Hey, I live near washington DC-and was downtown today. I must be flirting with death Big grin

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 13):
I think it's wrong to not go, but then again we live in such a litigious society I imagine the school board is afraid of being liable in the (unlikely) event that something happens.

Seriously, whats the chances of something happening thats terroristic (is that a word?)
Snakes on a Plane!

greasespot

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Espion007 (Reply 14):
Seriously, whats the chances of something happening thats terroristic (is that a word?)

It is now.. wink 

Guess it depends on where you got...I mean down town Baghdad.....Probably pretty good.....

Downtown London.....Probably pretty small.

Guess the problem is if there is a terroristic attack anywhere in Europe some parents will sue the school board....(assholes)

GS

*notice the deft use of new word in post.  thumbsup 
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Leezyjet

Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:59 am

Behaviour like this means the Terrorists have won.

Thats exactly what they wanted to acheive by striking fear into people, and in this case it seems to have worked.

Does this mean that the school won't allow those kids to cross the street, as there is a higher chance of them being knocked down than there is of being caught up in a terrorist attack.

More people are killed in road accidents around the world than have ever been killed by terrorism - just one is so common it doesn't even make the news.

Some people need to get reality check

Yeah sure
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

nonrevman

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:40 am

I like the British answer to all of this. Let's face it, going to Ft. Meyers is like rolling the dice. You could get washed away by a hurricane! Also, many regard Florida as being the birthplace of road rage. I was giving some students information on electricity, and we discovered that central Florida is in fact the "lightning strike" capital of the world. Sheeesh, give me London any day.........

daedaeg

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:56 am

This is too bad. The marching band is going to miss out on an opportunity to experience London.
Everyday you're alive is a good day.

ltbewr

Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:55 pm

I can understand to some extent of the fears of that school board. The visit was to be during a New Year's Day parade, which could be a terror target. But then again, so could downtown Miami, New York City and so on. London has had plenty of experience with terror in their long history and since the 1960's with IRA and Islamic related terror attacks. I have been in London and many other areas of Europe since the 1980's that have also been subject to terror attacks but still felt safe.
This was also very expensive and the money (about $250,000) could be better spent on scholrships or college tutition for themselves or fellow students. The school board may have also had issues with the special or higher premiums for their liability insurance.

LeonB1985

Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 15):

Guess the problem is if there is a terroristic attack anywhere in Europe some parents will sue the school board....(assholes)

Surely the 'asshole' parents just shouldn't give consent for their child to participate, in that case.

oli80

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 11):
I've always thought the safest time to visit anywhere was just after aterrorist attack, or at least to a place that has been attacked. At least those places know the threat is real and don't have the "it won't happen here " mentality.

I used to think like this as well. But, there was that failed attack just a week after the initial attack in London. Sure, it failed, but the intent was there.

gkirk

Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Banco (Thread starter):
Followed by a rather childish, but somewhat understandable, retaliation from London officials:

Aye, but it's frightfull funny old chap. One has to be amused at these antics  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

pilotaydin

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:54 pm

if something is going to happen, it's going to friggin happen....

remember that class of kids that were on TWA 800? even if France was unsafe back then, it's not always the reason why......

don't be scared to live man, hell i live in a war zone
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

LHMark

Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:58 pm

What a retard. Some of these kids will never got to Europe again in their lives, and they're going to miss the empathy and appreciation one gets for other cultures when travelling, just because this dude's a xenophobic ass.

If he's lucky, a school superintent position might open up in Kansas.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Greyhound

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:00 pm

“We’re leery of loading 140 students onto an airplane and flying across the ocean to London, where they just had a terrorist attack,” said Herb Wiseman, who oversees secondary operations for Lee County schools. “We don’t think at this time that it’s worth the risk.”

This guy was repeatedly dropped on the head as a kid. Honestly... I think Florida has more problems than London right now. In fact if I had the money, I would take my wife and I over to England for a little trip. My mom has a friend that lives in Lancashire, I believe.
29th, Let's Go!

oli80

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:22 pm

I was due to go to Israel for a football competition in 1999 with my school (The British School in the Netherlands). 2 weeks before the competition was due to start, my school cancelled the trip stating security reasons.

Reality was that a bunch of (influential) parents were unhappy about their kids going away so requested the school cancel it.

What i'm trying to say is that there may be more to this.

Delta767300ER

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:35 pm

Remember, most Floridians are not from Florida but have moved down here from other states......

-Delta767300ER

JRadier

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm going on vacation to Ft. Myers (well, Naples actually), do I have to cancel my trip now?  Wink
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

Cadet57

Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:56 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 3):
what idiocy by Florida.

bit of a redundant statement, imho  Wink  duck 

Quoting JRadier (Reply 27):
do I have to cancel my trip now?

yes, as you will be hit by a fluke hurricane, attacked by gators and be called a "dang foreigner" that and the EU will temporarily ban all EU-FLA travel citing an increase in terror chatter.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

LHMark

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:03 pm

Florida. Where the state motto is "She hit me first."
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Banco
Topic Author

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:15 pm

The irony of this of course, is that something like 40% of overseas visitors to Florida are British. This little spat won't make the slightest difference to Britons going to Florida, but you can just imagine the local tourist office spitting tacks about a local school idiotically irritating their biggest overseas market.

Greyhound

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 28):
yes, as you will be hit by a fluke hurricane, attacked by gators and be called a "dang foreigner" that and the EU will temporarily ban all EU-FLA travel citing an increase in terror chatter.

Oh stop... I'm starting to laugh hard enough it hurts. But you also forgot to mention that when it doesn't rain you get fires up the ying yang in the Everglades. Oh and then there's that natural disaster that plays in Tropicana Field, but that's another story.
29th, Let's Go!

deltagator

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:08 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 3):
what idiocy by Florida.

bit of a redundant statement, imho

I was so hoping that this school was in Broward or Dade County since those yahoos are the root cause of most trouble in the state. Unfortunately it wasn't and now my home state looks retarded yet again. I suppose if they think London is so dangerous they won't let their kids go to Miami either now?

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 31):
But you also forgot to mention that when it doesn't rain you get fires up the ying yang in the Everglades.

Not just that but in Central Florida aka "Lightning Capitol of the World" you get thuderstorms with tons of rain and lightning that still starts grass fires.

Quoting Greyhound (Reply 31):
Oh and then there's that natural disaster that plays in Tropicana Field, but that's another story.

I think I've seen more hockey games won in "The Pimple" than the Devil Rays have won ever in baseball.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 26):
Remember, most Floridians are not from Florida but have moved down here from other states......

Very true and they make us native Crackers look like mouthbreathing yokels. Damn Yankees!
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Boeing Nut

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:14 am

We’re leery of loading 140 students onto an airplane and flying across the ocean to London, where they just had a terrorist attack

Oh................................ my................................. God. Is he freaking serious? Somebody revoke this guys citizenship.  mad 

checkmark 

Oooo, Mr. Wisemen, you may consider banning buses while you're at it. Nobody ever get killed on those things!  Yeah sure

Give this f*#king moron a darwin award.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

Greyhound

Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):
Not just that but in Central Florida aka "Lightning Capitol of the World" you get thuderstorms with tons of rain and lightning that still starts grass fires.

We get the same in Arizona and the results are often devastating, except we don't get the rain.
29th, Let's Go!

Cadet57

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:53 am

Delete please

delete

[Edited 2006-04-03 21:07:41]

USAFHummer

Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:59 am

Was it me, or did the CNN article in the original post seem like it could have been taken right out of "The Onion"? That might be the funniest actual news article Ive ever read...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Cadet57

Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:09 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 37):
Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 35):
I guess they dont teach sarcasm where you live.... do you honestly beleive I ment that?

I think you've misunderstood him. He's having a go at Herb Wiseman from the school, not you. He's agreeing with you.

oops  embarrassed  your right, ive fixed my post...

Arsenal@LHR

Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:30 am

“We’re leery of loading 140 students onto an airplane and flying across the ocean to London, where they just had a terrorist attack,” said Herb Wiseman

Really ironic considering his surname is "Wiseman"......a wise man...NOT!
In Arsene we trust!!

JRadier

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:05 am

How do you think they will respond to four dutchies walking around in Heineken shirts and a dutch flag on the 4th of july? (semi serious  Wink)

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 32):

Sounds sweet, now if the lighting would only hit that Wiseman guy.
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and ther

N1120A

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 5):
Governor Bush's comments seem fairly scathing about the decision.

Not particularly. Jeb's words had pretty much no teeth at all.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

BDKLEZ

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:42 am

What a twonk! The USA is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world with all the legal firearms knocking about. You just have to look at someone the wrong way and you could be facing a bullet speeding towards your head. And all in the name of "rights". What nonsense from these people!

banghead 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

Tom in NO

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:47 am

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 29):
Florida. Where the state motto is "She hit me first."

.....and the state bird is the snowbird....and the state automobile is anything built by Buick.

Btw, the principal is a paranoid moron.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

flyboy36y

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:05 am

I wish that BA would pull out of MIA and any other FL airports that they fly to and the Brits issue a formal advisory against Florida travel. The prits are our partners in the war on terror, and this zenohobe needs a leson.

deltagator

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 43):
this zenohobe needs a leson.

First off, spell it right...it's Xenophobe. Second, don't punish the state because of one moron.

Update from last night is that the Lee County School Board has voted 5-0 to overturn the Superintendant's decision to keep the kids from going. The parents will now vote tonight at 1900 and must get 80% of them to say yes plus sign an agreement that they will pay for everything. Gov. Bush has stepped into it as well and is siding with the British. The Superintendant down there is typical government school mentality who has zero tolerance for facts or thinking. He has been shown to be a buffoon and I hope the kids get to go.

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 41):
The USA is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world with all the legal firearms knocking about. You just have to look at someone the wrong way and you could be facing a bullet speeding towards your head. And all in the name of "rights".

Yada, yada, yada...we'll get rid of the firearms when the Irish quit drinking whiskey.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

flyboy36y

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:31 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 44):
First off, spell it right...it's Xenophobe. Second, don't punish the state because of one moron.

At 3 am, I cant spell or type  Smile And I'd punish the state for other reasons such as bieng America's half-erect penis, Universal Studios, old people, KMIA, Cubans, the Miami Beach diet, Jaxonville, Talahassee, "Its a small world", et cetera.

Greyhound

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 45):
Jaxonville, Talahassee,

First off, spell it right...
29th, Let's Go!

mhodgson

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:35 am

"Its a small world"

Dammit, I'd repressed that memory!  Angry

Good to see people have seen sense over the issue.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Greyhound

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 41):
The USA is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world with all the legal firearms knocking about. You just have to look at someone the wrong way and you could be facing a bullet speeding towards your head. And all in the name of "rights".

Yada, yada, yada...we'll get rid of the firearms when the Irish quit drinking whiskey.

They're still not getting me frosted Lucky Charms.
29th, Let's Go!

deltagator

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 47):
"Its a small world"

Dammit, I'd repressed that memory!

Crap! Now that damn song is in my head too. Damn you Flyboy36y!

And I'd punish the state for other reasons such as ... Talahassee

Again, spell it right. But even as a native Florida Cracker I think we should be punished for the horrid cesspool that is Tallahassee. Noles suck, Gators rule!

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 47):
Good to see people have seen sense over the issue.

It will still be an uphill battle as the vote was only announced last night and they have to have 80% of the parents vote yes. We'll know by the morning though. I hope they do get to go as London is a great town. If they can't make it I'll go for them if they let me in the parade.