planespotting

Wal-Mart To Sell Brokeback Amid Conserv. Protests

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:58 am

From the article
Christian group accuses the retailer of 'pushing an agenda' by featuring the gay-themed film.
Wal-Mart to the producers of "Brokeback Mountain": We won't quit you.

Today, the largest retailer in the U.S. starts selling DVDs of the film about a gay love affair between two ranchers, despite protests from a national Christian organization.

The 3-million-member American Family Assn. initiated a campaign last week encouraging Wal-Mart customers to ask the company to refuse to stock the Universal film, whose director won an Academy Award last month, in its 3,900 stores.

The article goes on to say that Wal-Mart is only offering the titles that the public wants to buy. The AFA also claims that the movie "wasn't even a blockbuster movie" so there is no way Wal-Mart could not be pushing an agenda.

The logic this guy uses is totally awesome. This movie won something like three oscars, and was one of the most critically acclaimed movies of 2005. I don't think Wal-Mart cares one way or the other about promoting "gay agenda", and they just know this movie will sell very well upon its dvd release.

Wal-Mart needs to show these Christian organizations that they don't have all the power over them that they think they might. Brokeback Mountain is no Pregnant Barbie or Maxim Magazine (which the AFA and other organizations persuaded Wal-Mart to remove from its shelves). I am definitely not a Wal-Mart supporter, and I know Wal-Mart is not doing this for any kind of social or political reasons, but I am glad they finally came to a point where they aren't letting these outside organizations advance their conservative causes through them.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

NWA742

RE: Wal-Mart To Sell Brokeback Amid Conserv. Protests

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:05 am

Quoting Planespotting (Thread starter):
Christian group accuses the retailer of 'pushing an agenda' by featuring the gay-themed film

Uh huh, and agenda for business and money. Way to go morons, keep giving the average Christian a bad name by pulling this crap. Wal Mart will sell this DVD, as will any other retailer who sells DVDs. Business is business.

If they were actually promoting homosexuality, they'd have some rainbow banners at the front of the store, and the guy who greets you would say: "Hello sffweety, sfwelcome to Walmart!"

Smile

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

RichardPrice

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:08 am

And this is why some people go too far with religion. I have one thing to say to them:

Its your religion, not mine. I shouldnt be made to live by the rules laid down by your religion. Thats my choice. Get over it.

luv2fly

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 1):
If they were actually promoting homosexuality, they'd have some rainbow banners at the front of the store, and the guy who greets you would say: "Hello sffweety, sfwelcome to Walmart!"

Yes because that describes ALL gays to a tee! Welcome to the 21st century.

Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure
You can cut the irony with a knife

jaysit

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:17 am

We just found a job for you.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

planespotting

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:18 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):

I think he was just being facetious...but yes, it was a bit stereotypical.

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:23 am

The article goes on to say that Wal-Mart is only offering the titles that the public wants to buy.

Walmart is not dumb; they know that the gays have a higher disposable income on average than just about any other group.

The AFA also claims that the movie "wasn't even a blockbuster movie" so there is no way Wal-Mart could not be pushing an agenda

...it just blasted through the record for revenue takings per theatre.

Uh huh, and agenda for business and money. Way to go morons, keep giving the average Christian a bad name by pulling this crap.

When I see capitalism giving the Branch Davidians of the world a kick in the teeth, I wonder what free markets *can't* fix... Brings a tear to my eye Smile.
E pur si muove -Galileo

NWA742

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:32 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):

Stop whining, and stop being a crybaby with no sense of humor, it just gives people more basis to make fun of you.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 4):
We just found a job for you.

Hey I actually wouldn't mind getting paid to say hi to people, but working at a Walmart? Negative. And negative on the lisp too.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 5):
I think he was just being facetious

checkmark 

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 5):
but yes, it was a bit stereotypical.

And?

Man this what I love about these boards -- all it takes is one little comment.  rotfl 

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

Gilligan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:32 am

Christian group accuses the retailer of 'pushing an agenda' by featuring the gay-themed film.

I guess those "Left Behind" films you find prominently at Wal Mart are not pushing anything more than cheap B flickery.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

satx

RE: Wal-Mart To Sell Brokeback Amid Conserv. Prote

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 6):
When I see capitalism giving the Branch Davidians of the world a kick in the teeth, I wonder what free markets *can't* fix

Corruption? Pollution? Dependence on foreign fuel sources? Trade imbalances? Illegal logging? Oppressive regimes? Antiquated measurement systems? Affordable healthcare? Terrorism?
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

767Lover

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:36 am

Funny, the AFA doesn't seem to realize that Wal-Mart sells Sex and the City tapes-- including one that excerpts certain episodes about "lust":

They've experienced the pleasure of sex, the pain of heartbreak and the panacea of friendship. Now, old and new "Sex And The City" fans can relive some of the sexiest, most romantic, emotional and memorable episodes from the series with the all new "Sex And The City Essentials" - a collection of three episode selections from the HBO Original Series. Episodes include: "The F**k Buddy" - Carrie tries to turn a physical connection into an emotional one. "Running With Scissors" - Carrie and Big's affair moves from hotel room to hotel room. "The Turtle And The Hare" - Miranda introduces Charlotte to a very special vibrator called, "The Rabbit," which turns Charlotte into a recluse.

The AFA are a bunch of morons. It's a shame that they get so much publicity.

windshear

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:38 am

Them conservatives need to have more gay kids...

Focusing on Brokeback being a gay movie, is like saying that Romeo and Juliet is all about death.

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 9):
Corruption? Pollution? Dependence on foreign fuel sources? Trade imbalances? Illegal logging? Oppressive regimes? Antiquated measurement systems? Affordable healthcare? Terrorism?

Let's just agree to *completely* disagree.

I think that's more Target (Tarzhay) than Walmart.
E pur si muove -Galileo

A332

Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:48 am

I'm kind of glad these Christian Conservative idiots keep tarnishing their reputation in the public spotlight like this... hopefully, these very people will start to realize how stupid they are and walk away from their religious crutch!
Bad spellers of the world... UNTIE!

planespotting

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Windshear (Reply 11):
Focusing on Brokeback being a gay movie, is like saying that Romeo and Juliet is all about death.

No kidding! This movie is a drama with a tragic-romance theme...that just happens to feature a tragic romance between two gay men instead of a straight man and a straight woman. It's not a "gay" movie, and thats not what the movie is about.

windshear

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 14):

Wasn't that my point exactly?

Boaz.
"If you believe breaking is possible, believe in fixing also"-Rebbe Nachman

cfalk

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:14 am

Uh huh, and agenda for business and money. Way to go morons, keep giving the average Christian a bad name by pulling this crap. Wal Mart will sell this DVD, as will any other retailer who sells DVDs. Business is business.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

This is just stupid. The movie (which BTW I have no intention to see) is a widely distributed movie by a major studio, nominated for a number of awards. It's not Gangbang Vixens XXVI. Walmart's job is to sell DVD's, so let them sell it. You don't have to buy it.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

rwsea

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:27 am

The question really is: why are these "Christian" groups so afraid of a movie?

LHMark

Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 17):

Because they believe kids will catch gayness from watching the movie.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

satx

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 12):

Let's just agree to *completely* disagree.

It's up to you, but I stand by my questions 100%. The "free market" is little more than a financial euphemism for "the path of least resistance." When was the last time the correct way to do something just happened to also be the easiest way to do something?

Maybe it's because gays can't easily procreate on their own. Thus, they can't easily produce an ever more massive legion of blindly loyal Christians to roam the globe in their never-ending quest to covert every last mind.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

dan2002

RE: Wal-Mart To Sell Brokeback Amid Conserv. Prote

Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:57 am

3-million-member American Family Assn.

That part scares me the most.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

johnboy

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:03 am

Because this is a dying gasp of vitriol from organizations who realize that they are not only losing the battle for the minds of America, but also that those $$$$ won't be flowing in to buy those fancy cars, drugs, and mistresses (or "misters").

And i'm enjoying the HELL out of it.

yowza

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:28 am

In my experience profit margins trump "morals" and "values" every time.

YOWza

TheSonntag

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:33 am

Calling for a boycott isn't really in accordance with the usual ideals for a free society.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 am

I hope that everyone who's ever typed "why do you need to make a deal about being gay, can't you just be people?" understands this is why people have to make a deal about being gay every now and then.

To the AFA, can't we all just be people, too? Do you always have to have your hands down our knickers? Not that getting felt up is all that bad ...  Wink
International Homo of Mystery

767Lover

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 20):
3-million-member American Family Assn.

That part scares me the most.

I hear you, but I think the AFA has inflated its numbers to make itself sound more powerful than it really is.

searpqx

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:15 am

Way to go morons, keep giving the average Christian a bad name by pulling this crap.

Yup you got it (and I'm serious), Every time they pull one of these stunts, they do more for acceptance and tolerance of gay Americans than than any marches, publications or fundraisers HRC does.

"Hello sffweety, sfwelcome to Walmart!"

Close, but it's more, "Hello Dahling - that jumpthuit ith to die for! And that Blue Rinthe. . . FABULOUS!"

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 16):
which BTW I have no intention to see

Don't worry Charles - you're way down our list of targeted convertees. . . Wink

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
I hope that everyone who's ever typed "why do you need to make a deal about being gay, can't you just be people?" understands this is why people have to make a deal about being gay every now and then.

checkmark  Admittedly, the average Joe stopped taking the AFA seriously awhile ago, but the fact that they've got 'millions' of members signals that there are still plenty of folks out there that have their minds stuck in the dark ages.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

MaverickM11

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting SATX (Reply 19):
It's up to you, but I stand by my questions 100%. The "free market" is little more than a financial euphemism for "the path of least resistance." When was the last time the correct way to do something just happened to also be the easiest way to do something?

Start a new thread.
E pur si muove -Galileo

tsaord

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:03 am

Well...since the men in this movie had women/wives wouldnt that have made them bi-sexual and not gay? Not an attack on anyone but it seems to me that everything is gay or stra8 now and acting like bisexuals dont exist despite what any other group of people feels about them.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Jean Leloup

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:14 pm

Interesting point Tsaord. In the movie, I don't think it seemed Ennis was really attracted to his wife, but Jack did seem to also be attracted to women. There some major differences between the two, and it is important to remember that things are not just 'gay' vs. 'straight', anyway, as human sexuality is way more complicated than that.

Maybe in a couple years we'll have a movie that's quite clearly about bisexual cowboys or indians, or something.

Anyway, it is indeed interesting that one of the 'traiditional values' some conservatives seem to espouse is the suppression of free expression, information, and education. Disturbing.

JL
Next flight.... who knows.

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 29):
Maybe in a couple years we'll have a movie that's quite clearly about bisexual cowboys or indians, or something.

I certainly hope so, since Brokeback Mountain was about bisexual sheep herders. I so want to wear my Cowboy butts drive me nuts t-shirt to the cinema.
International Homo of Mystery

ltbewr

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:28 pm

Wal-mart is in business to make money. This was a critically aclammed, Oscar Nominated, mainstream theatherical movie with appeal beyond the 'gay' market. I am sure that they sell this only to those 18 or over as R-rated, per their standard policy.
To me these so-called Christian and Family organizations should go after Wal-Mart for the wide range of far more important issues in the way they do business, including how they treat their employees, affect small businesses in communities throughout the USA, their huge purchases of goods from and operating stores in anti-religious Peoples Republic of China and so on.

AvObserver

Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:53 am

What AFA fails to see is that all of their complaining will actually INCREASE DVD sales of the movie; controversies of this sort invariably attract interest from people who otherwise might not bother to pick it up. Mel Gibson's "The Passion Of The Christ" would likely not have been the megahit it was but for all the controversy fueled by Christian complaints. Years ago, a midwestern housewife named Terry Ricolta objected to the content in Fox's then-struggling sitcom, "Married With Children" and turned it into the fledgling network's biggest hit at the time. Asking customers to plea for Wal-Mart to not carry it will only backfire and fiercely stimulate its sales, the same way asking for customers to boycott it once it was in the stores would. When will these naive "prim and proper" folks ever learn - controversy SELLS! BIGTIME!