BDKLEZ
Topic Author

History Lessons In US Schools.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:56 am

I was speaking to someone a while back who used to be a teacher in Florida and I was amazed when she told me that the only history taught in her school was that of the USA and none other.

Now, in my school, I studied Irish history, Russian history, British history, European history and the history of medecine, all of which have left me in a rather informed position regarding certain world events, because as I know the history behind something, then I'm in a better position to understand current events and how they could possibly have come about whether or not they are morally justifiable or otherwise.

Is this true of all US schools, or is this just in Florida, or is it up to the individual school/county?

I'd be intrigued to find out becuase personally, I don't have a lot of time for folks who comment on issues in the present but at the same time have no comprehension of the past and how things have developed into what they have done.

wave 
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

AirPacific747

RE: History Lessons In US Schools.

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Thread starter):
I was speaking to someone a while back who used to be a teacher in Florida and I was amazed when she told me that the only history taught in her school was that of the USA and none other.

I think most countries focus on their own history, and yes I have been taught about Europe's history too, but we skipped world war 1 since denmark wasn't involved in it. The only reason why I know something about world war 1 was because I have been studying on a canadian highschool

Dougloid

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:03 am

I would check that person. It sounds to me like they were (pick one)

a) pulling your leg
b) talking out their ass
c) a Florida cracker
d) member of the Knownothing party

When you've stopped laughing you could ask this person what they did to fix the situation where they allegedly taught. If the answer is "nothing" then maybe you're talking to the wrong sort of person becuase they didn't learn anything while they were teaching.

Now....my old man was a Florida cracker in later life but as a kid he was imported to south Florida and one day in second grade he mentioned the Civil War and they took him to the principal's office and instructed him that that was the "war of southern independence and don't you forgit it".
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

jamesbuk

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:03 am

I guess our schools history is mainly war based, we do Vietnam, WW1 WWII the lead up to both of them, but then we do the american boom and some other shorter subjects aswell

Rgds --James--
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

Sabena332

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:06 am

And in the UK they only teach German history.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

bushpilot

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:07 am

Is this true of all US schools, or is this just in Florida, or is it up to the individual school/county?

It usually falls onto the state and school district to make the cirriculum decisions for instance that is how you get Kansas teaching creationism in science classes. When I was in HS you were required three classes World history, American history, and US government. There was a failed measure to have students here be taught Alaska History. There were additional electives offered which one who was interested could take, for instance I took two additional, one on the holocaust and one on eastern history. Most of the indepth specialized history courses fall at the college level.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 2):

a) pulling your leg
b) talking out their ass
c) a Florida cracker

I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the person in question. Secondly, why would she lie about? She has no reason to, she was simply quoting something as fact, it was me who was shocked about it.

c) a Florida cracker

You'll have to translate that into English for me please.

Now....my old man was a Florida cracker in later life but as a kid he was imported to south Florida and one day in second grade he mentioned the Civil War and they took him to the principal's office and instructed him that that was the "war of southern independence and don't you forgit it".

Yes, that's all very interesting, however it doesn't answer my question.

and don't you forgit it".

Spelling lessons required your end I see.

Please, either answer my question or don't; it's really simple! As much as I hate quoting myself I shall make the point again.....

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 5):

Thank you. A sensible response and one that I was wanting to see.  thumbsup 

Christa

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 am

I have studied History at GCSE level and am currently studying at A level (the stage below degree level, A level's are the examinations you take to get into University).

At GCSE level, I studied Nazi Germany and America from 1900 to the present day, so I don't think you can say that all the UK studies is Germany. I then had two coursework assignments, one on the British homefront during World War II and the other on a local History piece. That was on the strikes in the 20th century that occured in the heavy industries such as Coal.

At A level, I study the United Kingdom from 1880-2000, covering mainly the domestic issues such as the creation of new political parties, economic growth and decline and also various other events such as WW1, WW2, Thatcherism etc. However, yet again I study Nazi Germany and also have a coursework assignment on it. However, this time it is more in depth.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

MKEdude

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:38 am

I am teaching European history right now.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

searpqx

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 am

the only history taught in her school was that of the USA and none other.

In addittion to Bushpilot's (excellent) response, it also has to do with the grade level. In primary/elementary grades (1-5), it wouldn't be that uncommon for a school to focus solely on US or N American History. In Middle School that's usually expanded to include 'Western Civ' and by High School you get into the very specific national and/or regional histories. I would be shocked to find a school district that never covers anything beyond US history in all 12 years, but not in an individual building.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

SlamClick

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 6):

And then we have:

medecine

becuase

As I recall we were taught what might be called a history of western civilization, beginning with "the fertile crescent" and progressing up to as recently as maybe ten years before the current school year. It was probably called "world history" but I'm sure it ignored much of Asia and Africa as shapers of events.

Then we had US history which only lightly touched upon Spain and Portugal and their sphere of influence in the hemisphere. In first year Spanish we caught up on this a bit.

We had California history (obviously I went to school in that state)
I also recall other disciplines touching upon their own histories and one art teacher conducting a wonderful history of art and architecture.

All that was at a little public school in a backward and somewhat impoverished county.

Can't answer for Florida though.

Just spoke to my kids. They attended Nevada public schools and got just about what I listed. Add "Western traditions" and government classes.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:51 am

Incorrect I'm afraid . . . .

I know of three 'History' classes available in Anchorage schools, there may be others:

US History Mandatory
World History Elective
Alaska History Elective

When I was in school - yes, I know I'm an  old  git - World History and US History were entirely separate subjects and both were offered and both were mandatory . . .

BDKLEZ - you're friend's info - while purported to be fact in her mind - is not necessarily the way it is. Perhaps only in her school district . . . definitely NOT the norm.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:04 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 11):
And then we have

Point taken. I wish to retract my last your Honour!

Hate it when that happens!

Anyway,

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
you're friend's info - while purported to be fact in her mind - is not necessarily the way it is.

She's my big sister and has been a teacher for 25 years, so as I've said, I've no reason to doubt what she tells me. It seems possible that it was actually the case dependant upon the educational "area" she found herself in and perhaps also the grade that was being taught at her school.

Don't be offended, my fellow Americans, I wasn't having a pop at you guys, just more wondering if this was the exception rather than the norm, or vice versa!

white 

SlamClick

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:09 am

Perhaps they dropped it because students weren't testing well in that subject. I've heard of that happening at schools that have bureaucratic "squares to fill" to keep funding.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:11 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 14):
Perhaps they dropped it because students weren't testing well in that subject

Nice idea; I hadn't thought of that one, cheers.  scratchchin 

bushpilot

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
US History Mandatory
World History Elective
Alaska History Elective

ANC have things changed since I was attending ole West Side High?
We had to take World and US history, 9 and 10th grade respectively. Then there were whatever electives offered. Then 12th grade was US govmt. Out here in the bush they teach World and US history, Alaska history but the level of education isnt even on the same scale as offered in the city.

Arrow

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:21 am

I was lucky enough to take history in both Canadian (first) and US schools -- and the different treatment of the war of 1812 was hilarious. I had a great time. Was also interesting to get the markedly different attitudes towards manifest destiny -- which in Canada translates into "man the barricades."

Wouldn't have missed all that for anything.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

ANCFlyer

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:52 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 13):
Don't be offended, my fellow Americans, I wasn't having a pop at you guys, just more wondering if this was the exception rather than the norm, or vice versa!

No offense taken - not here anyway - you had a legit question . . . I hope you got the answer you were looking for. I do think the issue is the exception, rather than the norm.

Quoting Bushpilot (Reply 16):
ANC have things changed since I was attending ole West Side High?

Funding my friend.

I didn't include civics and US Gov't as I didn't consider it history. Those are still mandatory as far as I know. Of course, I haven't been in school in some thirty years, so I may be incorrect.

I wish Alaska History had been made mandatory. More precisely, Alaska Native History. Perhaps it would allow or enable us "round eyes" to better undertand our Native neighbors. I know my g/f (Athabaskan) family has some very rich history - and her Grandfather penned a book* - that thoroughly explains a lot of the culture along the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers from about 1900 until now. Definitely worth the read.

*Shadows on the Koyukuk -
www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/088240427X?v=glance
www.alaskool.org/native_ed/literature/Review_Kerr-SK.htm

West High grad, eh? My brother also.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

USAFHummer

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:59 am

The Social Studies curriculum at my high school (public school, Pennsylvania) was the following (at least when I was there from 1999-2003...AFAIK it hasnt changed much since then)

9th grade: US History up til the Civil War

10th grade: US History from Civil War to present (this was available in an AP course, 9th grade was just regular classes and non-AP honors...kind of a bizarre setup)

11th grade: AP European History, or World History (no non-AP European History available, World History was available in Honors though)

12th grade: US Government (AP and regular)

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

bushpilot

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:03 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
I wish Alaska History had been made mandatory. More precisely, Alaska Native History. Perhaps it would allow or enable us "round eyes" to better undertand our Native neighbors. I know my g/f (Athabaskan) family has some very rich history - and her Grandfather penned a book* - that thoroughly explains a lot of the culture along the Yukon and Koyukuk Rivers from about 1900 until now. Definitely worth the read.

I own a copy of that book. I am Athabaskan/white myself ancestry goes back to Holy Cross on the Yukon. Its crazy you are aquainted with the author. As a lifelong Alaskan, I run into instances weekly about just how damn small this state is. Out here like I said we have Alaska history(mostly native history) that ties into a Yupik language class. Prett neat stuff really. Also on our radio station KDLG they have the lets learn Yupik radio program for about 15minutes a day. Very difficult language, but anytime you can string together three Qs and follow it with J. Thats interesting pronunciation.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 18):
West High grad, eh? My brother also.

Grew up in Spenard, Northwood, Romig and West. Moved to Fairbanks for my SR year for family reasons graduated from Lathrop, went onto UAF. I claim West over Lathrop though.

MDorBust

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:05 am

In Texas, at least when I was in school... Highschool required US History and World History, and had several narrow field history classes as electives (an outstanding two semester european history is was available).

College level courses can be found in just about any field of history.. includeing a two semester gem on the civil war, and some in depth studies in the two continents left out of most previous studies, Africa and Asia.

I've been told that Jr. High requires Tx History, and a watered down version of the Highschool US History (can't trust students to learn it once apparently)... but I was never there so I can't say it's absolutely true.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

CXA330300

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:10 am

In my district US History and World History are mandatory for the same two years each for high school students, and some students also take additional electives on world history.......although I understand this is quite rare in most schools here in the US. Also in middle (junior high) school (though I was only in the US for 7th grade onwards) there is a general focus on ancient history and the 20th century worldwide as well.
AC/AA/UA/DL/B6/WN/US*/CO*/FI/BA/IB/AF/SK/LX/Sabena*/TK/LY/SA/MN/SW/AM/CE*/CX/CA/MU/JL/SQ/TG/MH/KA/5J

bushpilot

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:14 am

I have always thought that current events should also be taught in history. Im not talking about the latest sensationalism murder trial but important events that happen on the world agenda that has a true bearing on the future and roots in the past. Conflicts such as the Balkan War and Palestinian-Israel conflict go rather undiscussed in class and I think it would be wise for American school kids to know whats happening in the world.

flyboy36y

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:19 am

Europe?

aa757first

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:22 am

At my school we have US Goverment, World History, European History and American History, in that order.

AAndrew

Nancy

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 am

New York State:
World History 9th grade
World History 10th grade
American History 11th grade
Elective (Psychology, Current Events, Holocaust Studies etc)

Gilligan

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:31 am

In Texas they learn Texas history in the 4-5th grade. Took the girls to see the San Jacinto monument (birth place of Texas!) the second summer we were here and was absolutely floored when my youngest was able to tell me all about the stone carvings on the sides of the monument. My older daughter had world history last year (10th) and AP U.S. history this year. Next year I believe it is AP world history.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

Dougloid

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:34 am

a) pulling your leg
b) talking out their ass
c) a Florida cracker

I have no reason to doubt the integrity of the person in question. Secondly, why would she lie about? She has no reason to, she was simply quoting something as fact, it was me who was shocked about it.

c) a Florida cracker

You'll have to translate that into English for me please.

Yes, that's all very interesting, however it doesn't answer my question.

Please, either answer my question or don't; it's really simple! As much as I hate quoting myself I shall make the point again.....

OK. I can see that you do not understand satire and Americanisms complete with spelling and syntax errors carefully built in..

So, let me get right to it, specifically what you started with.

It's a statement not supported by facts despite the fact that this person is your sister. You should know better than to be taken in by vast sweeping unsupported generalizations about another country's history and teaching methods, about which you knew little.

Were your bullshit detectors turned off at the time?

If, on the other hand you're on a fishing expedition as we see from time to time, then fish away, although you must know you are fishing in troubled waters. Be my guest. It's open season year round on Americans here.

And as for spelling do you understand how that is used in the construction of humor? It's like a faucet-I turn it on and off when I want to. It's as useful as what you actually say.

Now. Don't read this next-say it out loud, and imagine yourself to be Joe Don Baker.

Hail, bawh, if'n yew don't know what a Flahda cracka is there ain't no use schoolin' yew and yer'n, is theah?

How'm I doing?

[Edited 2006-04-05 02:37:11]

AeroWesty

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 14):
Perhaps they dropped it because students weren't testing well in that subject. I've heard of that happening at schools that have bureaucratic "squares to fill" to keep funding.

I knew I'd read something similar to this in the NYTimes recently:

http://www.digitaldivide.net/news/view.php?HeadlineID=1008

The intense focus on the two basic skills is a sea change in American instructional practice, with many schools that once offered rich curriculums now systematically trimming courses like social studies, science and art. A nationwide survey by a nonpartisan group that is to be made public on March 28 indicates that the practice, known as narrowing the curriculum, has become standard procedure in many communities.

The survey, by the Center on Education Policy, found that since the passage of the federal law, 71 percent of the nation's 15,000 school districts had reduced the hours of instructional time spent on history, music and other subjects to open up more time for reading and math. The center is an independent group that has made a thorough study of the new act and has published a detailed yearly report on the implementation of the law in dozens of districts.

"Narrowing the curriculum has clearly become a nationwide pattern," said Jack Jennings, the president of the center, which is based in Washington.

At Martin Luther King Jr. Junior High School in Sacramento, about 150 of the school's 885 students spend five of their six class periods on math, reading and gym, leaving only one 55-minute period for all other subjects.
International Homo of Mystery

Dougloid

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:39 am

Quoting Flyboy36y (Reply 24):
Europe?

Yeah. I rope. Don't evvabuddy?

Silly  Silly  Silly

Gsoshutout55

Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:44 am

Here's what I've had so far starting in 5th Grade

5th:NC History (state)
6th:Western European History
7th:Eastern European History
8th:NC History (state)
9th:Civics and Economics
10th:World History (~8000BC-2000AD)
11th:US History
and next year
12th:None Required

That's a list of all the required history courses from end of elementary school throughout highschool, for the state of North Carolina.

Those are just the required courses, others, such as European History, Art History, and Psychology are offered as electives in social studies.

Nancy

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:01 am

1 credit World History, 1 credit American history 0.5 Economics and 0.5 American Government required in Florida

http://www.firn.edu/doe/curriculum/ccd2/0607/GradRequ06_07.pdf

KSYR

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:20 am

My former school in NY required 2 years of Global History (although an AP European History class could substitute for one of the years), followed by US History (AP or general) and then a history elective.

My current school offers AP World History, AP European History, AP and General US History, CP World History, etc.

I have spent more years in HS learning about European History than I have learning about American History.

L-188

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:23 am

I had to take World History and US History in High School.

But that being said with the way that schools are now teaching to the No Child Left Behind tests, It woudln't surprise me if they cut it out. I can't believe it is true that world history was dropped but it wouldn't surprise me.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

dtwclipper

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am

I don't know what it is like today, but I (high school class of '80) had classes in European History and World History.

My European History class in High School was one of the best I ever had, and that helped me decide to study history in college.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

maury

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am

When I was in high school in Florida (  old  ) in the late 70s, our 11th grade history was, as mandated by the state..."Americanism vs. Communism." Guess who won?

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:45 pm

Dougloid already explained it, but it's the language spoken by Appalachian Americans  Wink

Europe?

Yeah, that chunk of land to the east of us Big grin
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

scott2187

Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:55 pm

in my HS, public:

9th: Civics.
10th: US History, WWI-present.
11th: World History and Economics.
12th: whatever you feel like doing.

another question: Do schools in the UK teach history from 1776?
“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”

Dougloid

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 37):
Europe?

Yeah, that chunk of land to the east of us

Do you mean to tell me they finally changed the name of Staten Island?

bouncy   bouncy   bouncy 

garnetpalmetto

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:30 pm

For me when I was coming up in high school I had the following rotation:

9th Grade: Honors International Studies (basically a human geography course)
10th Grade: Honors World History
11th Grade: AP US History
12th Grade: AP European History
AP US Government
AP Microeconomics

Mind you, I was in a magnet program so that wasn't the normal rotation for most kids at my high school. As far as what the State of South Carolina requires:

1 year of US History
A semester of Government
A semester of Economics
1 year of another social science.

From that point when I got into college I took a few political science courses that took a historical perspective, but in terms of pure history courses I went with:

HIST 104: Islamic Civilization
HIST 109: Latin-American Civilization
HIST 312: The French Revolution & Napoleonic Era
HIST 370: Napoleonic Wars
South Carolina - too small to be its own country, too big to be a mental asylum.

BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 28):
I can see that you do not understand satire and Americanisms complete with spelling and syntax errors carefully built in..

Why would I, I'm not American.

It's a statement not supported by facts despite the fact that this person is your sister.

It's a question I have asked as a result of being advised that in one particular school, that the only history that was taught was American history.

You should know better than to be taken in by vast sweeping unsupported generalizations

None of those from me my friend. I asked a question. In fact, here it is again from the thread starter post.

It's seems like a question to me, and not a vast sweeping unspported generalisation.

If, on the other hand you're on a fishing expedition as we see from time to time, then fish away, although you must know you are fishing in troubled waters. Be my guest. It's open season year round on Americans here.

You seem to have a problem my friend. I'm rather confused at your tone!
Perhaps you're reading into something that's not actually there; regardless, here's my white flag if you've been offended by the question. I don't know how you could be, but in the interests of international relations...

white 

Dougloid

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 41):
You seem to have a problem my friend. I'm rather confused at your tone!
Perhaps you're reading into something that's not actually there; regardless, here's my white flag if you've been offended by the question. I don't know how you could be, but in the interests of international relations...

I suppose you're right-I probably wouldn't understand Irish jokes although I did read Angela's Ashes.

But to the meat of the subject. Consider the question and how it was posed. Let me try something on you.

Suppose I said "Well, all my Irish friends. My sister has spent the better part of her life in the fair city of Dublin and according to her the Troubles were all made up by a yankee press intent on inciting hatred against the British, and she heard it straight from Father O'Malley. Is this true?"

Your reaction would be incredulity, followed by asking me whether I had my bullshit detectors activated. Then you might ask yourself "Well, self, why on earth is that fellow asking a question that everyone on earth knows has to be a bit naive?" That's where the paranoia sets in, y'see.

FYI. A Florida cracker is a something of a redneck hillbilly, although there ain't any hills in Florida that I know about. There are many theories about the derivation of this term. Some say it's a name for a Florida cowboy whose whip cracks in the air.

You can get a lot of good information off this website about Florida crackers.

http://members.tripod.com/~UNX3/folks.html

But, in the interests of international solidarity and on behalf of all the Gallaghers in Donegal to whom I am related....cheerio.

Wink  Wink  Wink

mdsh00

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:13 am

I think that teacher must have something wrong with her, or maybe SHE only teaches US history.

In my School district in California, we started with history in 3rd grade with a history of the city, then in 4th it was California history, 5th was US, 6th was world.

8th grade was US history again, and 10th was World History. Keep in mind these were mandatory. European History was not offered at my school but a majority of them offer it as an elective class and a lot of students take it.

Slightly OTT: I don't know how world history is taught by other schools or teachers but it feels like they focus WAY too much on Western History. We would spend 2+ weeks about the Renaissance and Reformation while spending about a week and a half to cover the Far East and South Asia. Not to mention my teacher always used his "lectures" to badmouth the histories of that area and hype up the achievements in European history. To me that class spoke volumes about the level of ignorance in the US about Asia.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

fumanchewd

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:25 am

This isn't true. World history is taught, but not to the extent that American history is.

Perhaps it would be better to complain about a certain country and its president who refuses to acknowledge the holocaust.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...