RichardPrice
Topic Author

Macs Run Windows XP - Official

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:12 pm

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Now, quite an number of people thought the latest OSX update (10.4.6) would break the recent hacks allowing Xp to be installed on Intel Macs, so this is quite an upturn!

Richard

Brendan03

RE: Macs Run Windows XP - Official

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm

Lol, I knew about this quite a while ago... It was only a matter of time...
Coolier than thou.

qr332

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:23 pm

Now it looks like i'll definatley be buying a Mac next time I buy a PC... gaming problem solved!

Are there any limitations to this?
"The greatest threat to knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Two questions:

1. How the hell do you right click?  Wink
2. With an Intel processor running Windows, how is this different than just buying a PC?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:31 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 1):

This is Windows XP onto an Intel Mac, not OSX onto a generic nonApple PC like you wanted to do the other day.

Brendan03

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 4):
This is Windows XP onto an Intel Mac, not OSX onto a generic nonApple PC like you wanted to do the other day.

Yes, I can read.. Getting MacOs to run on a PC was done some time last year

As soon as Apple moved to X86 I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone managed to get Windows XP running on Apple hardware...

This is definetly a pie in apples face... So much for them putting a lock-out chip on their hardware...
Coolier than thou.

Mir

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:35 pm

I'd be interested to know how the performance compares in terms of games, etc.

I use a PC, but only because FS isn't out for the Mac. If this is able to solve that issue, a Mac just might be in my future....

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Brendan03

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
I use a PC, but only because FS isn't out for the Mac. If this is able to solve that issue, a Mac just might be in my future....

I was thinking that myself because nothing is really keeping me on Windows anymore... It used to be flightsim but I hardly even touch that anymore.

I actually like the OsX layout and I've always enjoyed playing with macs but in the past they've never really been compatable with the programs I've wanted to use... although with the Apple revolution happening I can see myself using one...
Coolier than thou.

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:42 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 5):
Yes, I can read.. Getting MacOs to run on a PC was done some time last year

I was just making sure  Smile

As soon as Apple moved to X86 I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone managed to get Windows XP running on Apple hardware...

That in itself happened a few weeks back, when someone booted XP on an Imac and won themselves $14,000. But it isnt very pretty, and certainly not something you want to do all the time.

This is definetly a pie in apples face... So much for them putting a lock-out chip on their hardware...

Uhm, huh? The TCPA chip is designed to keep OSX locked to the hardware, and it does its job pretty well considering the absolutely *crap* you have to go through to get it to boot on a non Apple x86 system, as well as it stopping you updating such systems whenever a new OSX update comes out. So you end up with an out of date, potentially insecure OS thats partially comprised of binaries someone else has hacked to work that takes ages to reinstall if you need to, not exactly an OS I would trust.

OSX on generic x86 systems will always be in the realms of the hackers only, unless Apple releases a version themselves (which is highly unlikely to happen).

The 'lock-out chip' has nothing to do with stopping other OSes from running on Intel Macs, Linux booted quite a while ago. The only thing stopping XP from booting until now is the lack of a bios compatability level in the EFI that the Intel macs use (not included because Apple didnt need it!).

Klaus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:56 pm

Apple has always used a low-key approach to protection; Just look at the very mild DRM they use for the iTunes Music Store.

It is more a "you really shouldn't be doing this!" attitude than the usual fire-and-brimstone one.

Since many "bootleggers" will sooner or later be tempted to buy a proper Mac the next time around, it's just another way of subversive marketing. Although the notorious Apple legal department would rather die than admit to that, of course! Big grin

gkirk

Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:57 pm

I'm surprised this announcement hasn't forced Klaus into suicide  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Brendan03

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Well, Put it this way... I've always been extreamly anti-mac... You could get me in a bad mood just getting into it and as of lately, I'm starting to turn my head on the views... I'm getting bored of Windows and I've even been looking at cheap macs on ebay  duck 

I believe the 'hackers' may eventually find a way to run XP Natively on a Mac... I even believe there will be a way to do this on a true X86 machine...

The MacOs X86 that was floating around that people had been using on IBM Machines was a VM Ware image... Infact I was using it myself at one stage but that's another story

It's still early days yet but... Apple shouldn't be too afraid about getting OsX running on IBM machines because it means they can sell their OS to another market... even if they aren't buying their parts...

Let's just say... If you get a taste of the honey you usually want more
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:38 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 10):
I'm surprised this announcement hasn't forced Klaus into suicide

Why should it? I've run Windows on my Macs with VirtualPC for years by now.

Actually, about once per year is more like it.

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:44 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 11):
It's still early days yet but... Apple shouldn't be too afraid about getting OsX running on IBM machines because it means they can sell their OS to another market... even if they aren't buying their parts...

Apple isnt in the market of selling an OS.

racko

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 am

Is it just me, or wouldn't it be better marketing for Apple the other way round? Very few people will actually buy a very expensive PC to try out the Mac System, but far more would be interested in buying a €200 OS to try it out...

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 14):
Is it just me, or wouldn't it be better marketing for Apple the other way round? Very few people will actually buy a very expensive PC to try out the Mac System, but far more would be interested in buying a €200 OS to try it out...

I shall repeat  Smile Infact, no I wont, I shall jsut quote myself:-

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 13):
Apple isnt in the market of selling an OS.

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:17 am

Quoting Racko (Reply 14):
Is it just me, or wouldn't it be better marketing for Apple the other way round? Very few people will actually buy a very expensive PC to try out the Mac System, but far more would be interested in buying a ¬200 OS to try it out...

"Very few" is a relative term. Increasingly relative, it appears...!

Apple has always put a strong emphasis on providing an excellent user experience. And that simply requires hardware and software design being tuned to each other and held to the same quality standards (which are not perfect at Apple, either, but certainly near or at the top of what's available).

So Apple now has the only computers which can run all three major operating systems: MacOS X, Linux and Windows. All other vendors have only the last two as an option.

I'd say both Apple and the users can work with that...

tbnist03

Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:42 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
How the hell do you right click?

In my slight experience with Macs, usually if you hold the shift key and click, its like right clicking. (at least with yahoo pool  Wink)

With this news following the Intel chips being put in Macs, it makes me shudder. I am NOT a fan of Intel, nor a big fan of windows. I use windows out of necessity. If I had enough money, I would be the proud owner of the best G5 money could buy.

Personally, I think that windows running on a Mac will have some advantages, such as for people who do a lot of CAD-stuff. It would be nice to run AutoCAD on a Mac, then work on it in Photoshop. Definitely would eliminate the windows box in that case.

Only time will tell in regards to how this will shape the future market. I look forward to seeing what develops though.
-Mike

Brendan03

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Tbnist03 (Reply 17):
In my slight experience with Macs, usually if you hold the shift key and click, its like right clicking. (at least with yahoo pool

The new Mac Mice have touch sensors on them like a touch pad on a laptop which have upto 5 or 6 enableable buttons and a scroll wheel... I think this was macs best addition yet... the fact they're coming up with the 2 button (or more) mouse finally shows they're finally getting it (Whatever 'It' means)

I think Mac is going to have a good future...
Coolier than thou.

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:06 am

In my slight experience with Macs, usually if you hold the shift key and click, its like right clicking.

Control. I guess the Windows mouse driver for the Macs will allow that combination or a different one to be used as well (for the single trackpad button on the mobile Macs); If you connect an external mouse, just use one with more than one button and it works right away.

Personally, I think that windows running on a Mac will have some advantages, such as for people who do a lot of CAD-stuff. It would be nice to run AutoCAD on a Mac, then work on it in Photoshop. Definitely would eliminate the windows box in that case.

...or for all the Windows-based games. Apparently Apple's drivers are fully 3D-capable, so games using ActiveX 9 should run well.

Only time will tell in regards to how this will shape the future market. I look forward to seeing what develops though.

One way to look at it:

If you're a Windows user thinking about an upgrade to Vista, you'll most probably have to upgrade your hardware anyway.

With Vista delayed again, your best strategy would be this:
- Buy a Mac instead of a Windows-only PC.
- Install your current Windows on it if you must,
- Use it as your new PC.
- Check out MacOS X, while you're at it - it's included anyway. Even the current version 10.4 "Tiger" is already ahead of what Windows Vista is supposed to offer when it'll come out eventually (2007? 2008?), By that time, MacOS X will be at 10.5 "Leopard" already, again a major step ahead.
- If you should still prefer Windows to OS X, you can just install Vista (when it's finally available) and be done with it. According to recent tests, Macs are apparently very fast PCs under Windows.

deltairlines

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:26 am

I just got one of the new Mac Minis as my computer at my office...I've been pretty impressed with it so far...I'm not a huge fan of the Mac OSX layout, but other than that I have been quite pleased.

Jeff

102IAHexpress

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:36 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 1):

Agreed, once they introduced those Intel chips, I new this was a matter of when and not if Windows would officially run on Apple computers.
So, I pose the question is Steve Jobs good for the Mac? I don't doubt his business sense when it comes to Mp3 players and music downloads, which have bode well for Apple's bottom line, but is Steve Jobs the right man to lead the Mac computer line up.

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:37 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 20):
.I'm not a huge fan of the Mac OSX layout, but other than that I have been quite pleased.

Like any other change it will need a bit of getting used to at first; Just give it a little time.

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:48 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 21):
So, I pose the question is Steve Jobs good for the Mac? I don't doubt his business sense when it comes to Mp3 players and music downloads, which have bode well for Apple's bottom line, but is Steve Jobs the right man to lead the Mac computer line up.

This step is a major coup, even if an expected one.

Pretty much every Mac user knows Windows anyway - being able to install it on every new Mac will not weaken the platform since hardly anyone would "switch back" - Mac users generally know why they want to get away from Windows as far as possible.

The new option will only open the door even wider to Windows users who still have trepidations about making the switch.

As of today, Apple has officially thrown the gauntlet at Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba and the rest of the box assemblers under Microsoft's fist. Under the precondition of the switch to Intel (unfortunately necessary for several reasons), it's an excellent move!

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:32 am

Just to add a little perspective:

From Wall Street Journal Online - Mac's Moment?:

Quote:
Japan's Aozora Bank Ltd. is planning to do something once unheard of in the business world: switch nearly all of its 2,300 desktop personal computers to Apple Computer Inc.'s Macintosh computers.

Most companies use PCs that run on some version of Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system. But in a multi-year effort to replace its outdated mishmash of computers -- most running older versions of Windows -- Aozora is forsaking the standard PC.

A third of the company's computers already are Macs -- including sleek iMac computers that combine a screen and hard drive in one unit with a camera perched atop that allows employees to videoconference. Within a few months, Aozora expects about 90% of its machines will be Macs.

What brought on the switch?

Bill Chute, Aozora's chief technology officer, says the company decided to go with Macs because of Apple's latest operating system, Mac OS X, which has made the machines more stable and functional for many business users. Before OS X, "it would have been impossible," he says, because Macs didn't have the reliability and the functions that Aozora needs.

Would it be surprising to guess that Apple tipped their hand about Boot Camp to encourage the switch? Rather likely, I'd say - they know now that they will have a backup option if they should need one. (Not that I'd expect them to, but options are always nice when selling a decision to the board.)

max999

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:09 am

There's a bit of irony here.

If the Mac is so user-friendly and well designed, why would Mac users even want to use Windows? Why even bother with the money and effort needed to run Windows on an Apple machine?

Conversely...

If Windows is so badly designed and such a hard-to-use operating system, wouldn't a lot more people be clamoring to get a Mac OS X emulator?
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

captaink

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:22 am

1. How the hell do you right click? Wink
2. With an Intel processor running Windows, how is this different than just buying a PC?

1. Hold the ctrl key while clicking. If you have a two buttom mouse, the right clicking functions works just fine. I use a USB mouse on my iBook.

2. Most PCs still cannot run the awesome OSX due to driver issues.
There is something special about planes....

AirPacific747

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:25 am

well whats the big deal? Virtual PC has existed for a long time already...

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Quoting Max999 (Reply 25):
If the Mac is so user-friendly and well designed, why would Mac users even want to use Windows? Why even bother with the money and effort needed to run Windows on an Apple machine?

Games and custom proprietory applications such as kids educationals, work applications etc.

If Windows is so badly designed and such a hard-to-use operating system, wouldn't a lot more people be clamoring to get a Mac OS X emulator?

They are, havent you seen the stuff on techy boards about the OSX hacks to make it run on non Apple x86 systems?

Apple has about 5% of the market, and thats growing at a phenominal rate, but it boils down to the fact that hardly anyone has actually experienced OSX so its not as if the masses really know what they are missing.

Klaus

If the Mac is so user-friendly and well designed, why would Mac users even want to use Windows?

Simple: We don't! (Except for those rare cases where we've used VirtualPC in the past, or for games. As I said, it's been about once a year for me so far.)

That's why it is very unlikely that Mac users would "defect" to Windows, but highly likely that new Mac users would progressively gravitate towards OS X until finally ditching Windows for most or all applications.

a) Most Windows users have never used a Mac in earnest - they simply assume that their frustrations are "normal" for using any computer, even if it's just typical for using Windows. Those who actually use OS X for a while generally switch over and never look back.

b) There have been several attempts to build a Mac emulator under Windows - they just couldn't get it working properly. The few that got halfway close were simply unusable. And even so, they all violated Apple's licenses and/or copyright and/or required iffy ROM extraction procedures...

eilennaei

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:26 am

Oh no! Ordinary people now may want acquaint themselves with the Macs. When a company that for years has catered for the needs of the corps of the intellectual and creative elite of innumerable souls and minds worldwide faces itself with this sort of outcome, its dilemmatic position can only by defended by the established singularly equivocal technical superiority, and if the need be, by a justified pre-emptive attempt to activate the invalid mind set of the crippled PC camp standing on their mud feet.
In short: my hair is so-o ruined!
signed,
Klaus

[Edited 2006-04-05 22:37:49]

captaink

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 27):
well whats the big deal? Virtual PC has existed for a long time already...

yeah, but the performance of windows, especially XP on VPC really sucks. Running windows without an emulator is fantastic. Now i can revert to my Flightsim.. YEHHH
There is something special about planes....

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 30):
Oh no! Ordinary people now may want acquaint themselves with the Macs.

Well, as they say: There's a downside to everything...! Big grin

It's a widespread misconception (primarily among sour-tempered Windows-sufferers, for some reason ), that many Mac users' fervour could only be due to brainwashing; Small wonder - how could they imagine that using a computer can actually be something other than a dull and frustrating experience, with only an actually working system being noteworthy...? Big grin

The beginning of it all: "1984" by Ridley Scott

AirPacific747

Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 31):

yeah, but the performance of windows, especially XP on VPC really sucks. Running windows without an emulator is fantastic. Now i can revert to my Flightsim.. YEHHH

ah okay.. cool! I want an apple book pro!!! Big grin

Cadet57

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):

Likewise. New macbook for school, yay!

Quoting Mir (Reply 6):
I'd be interested to know how the performance compares in terms of games, etc.

Very good. I have a pro photog friend of mine that used a non-supported hack and it ran as good as his 2.9 ghz dual core p4 system with 1 gig of ram. Very smooth, we even ran doom 3 on some the second highest setting, tasty  Smile
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

eilennaei

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:17 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 32):
It's a widespread misconception (primarily among sour-tempered Windows-sufferers, for some reason ), that many Mac users' fervour could only be due to brainwashing;

At least to me it was always clear, being a priviledged one in the Avant Garde has had a detrimental effect on the values of some Mac evangelists. It's all about seeking personal identity and contesting alienation. Using a Mac gives you the feeling of superiority of being able to control something that's not accessible to the masses. That emotion and the concomitant release of brain chemicals may lull the person into a persevering false emotional state regarding his own position and the valuing of the others.

[Edited 2006-04-05 23:38:39]

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:20 am

Actually, I just enjoy what I do and like to help others to it as well.

But if the other explanation makes you happier - just be my guest! Big grin

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting Eilennaei (Reply 35):
At least to me it was always clear, being a priviledged one in the Avant Garde has had a detrimental effect on the values of some Mac evangelists. It's all about seeking personal identity and contesting alienation. Using a Mac gives you the feeling of superiority of being ble to master something that's not accessible to the masses. That emotion and the concomitant release of brain chemicals may lull the person into a persevering false emotional state regarding his own position and the valuing of the others.

Its accessable to the masses, they just have to go and seek out a mac shop (not hard) and buy one. Theres no special handshake, theres no entry requirement, there no exam.

I feel nothing wrong in saying I use something superior to Windows.

max999

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:24 am

Let me clarify...

The irony is in the fact that having to spend time/money/effort to create an emulator (Virtual PC, Boot Camp, etc) is an admission that Windows has won and dominated over the personal computing world.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 38):
The irony is in the fact that having to spend time/money/effort to create an emulator (Virtual PC, Boot Camp, etc) is an admission that Windows has won and dominated over the personal computing world

Apple never denied that Windows had won market share.

But in pretty much every other respect it doesn't look exactly healthy - a bloated, bleeding, patched-up dinosaur with no way to go, especially not to the future.

People who know both operating systems rarely settle for Windows afterwards. Apple has very little to lose and a lot to gain.

By the way: Boot Camp is not an "emulator" in that sense, it is a boot support and driver package. After booting, Windows runs natively just like on any normal PC (for better or worse).

MacOS X 10.5 will rather probably have a virtualization layer built into it which allows simultaneous execution of both (or all three) operating systems and which is a lot more convenient than just dual boot, but with the current version the strategic move has already been made.

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Max999 (Reply 38):
The irony is in the fact that having to spend time/money/effort to create an emulator (Virtual PC, Boot Camp, etc) is an admission that Windows has won and dominated over the personal computing world.

Why bother admitting whats blatantly fecking obvious to anyone? By making a bootloader (BootCamp is not an emulator) that allows Windows XP to boot, you gain the attention of people who like OSX and Macs but need to remain on Windows for some apps. This now gives them an option to do that while also allowing them to access OSX on the same hardware, whereas before BootCamp ,that sale would have gone to Dell.

Its all about options, and BootCamp allows a few more than there was before.

Whatever you want to think, this is a positive for Apple. To use Bootcamp, you need to buy Apple hardware, so even if you run Windows on it 100% of the time, Apples still ahead of where it would be.

F9Widebody

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 am

1. How the hell do you right click?  

Check out the mac mighty mouse. That thing will blow your mind.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 19):
games using ActiveX 9 should run well.

You mean Direct X?  confused 
YES URLS in signature!!!

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 41):
You mean Direct X?

Crap - yes, of course! (Shudder!)

RichardPrice
Topic Author

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting F9Widebody (Reply 41):
Check out the mac mighty mouse. That thing will blow your mind.

Apple really needs to do a wireless version of the MM  Smile Im not buying one until they do  Sad

eilennaei

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
People who know both operating systems rarely settle for Windows afterwards

Klaus, which words do I have to enter into google to verify this statement?

eilennaei

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 39):
Apple has very little to lose and a lot to gain.

Well yes, there's only so many members of the creative elite in the world with the Mac boxes and their Mac superiority complex. You will need to move on towards the gaming masses of the Proletariat, all along the iPod pathway.

Mir

Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:03 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 34):
Very good. I have a pro photog friend of mine that used a non-supported hack and it ran as good as his 2.9 ghz dual core p4 system with 1 gig of ram.

What kind of Mac was this on?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

aseem

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:25 am

Here is what I think
1. By allowing Apple computers to run on Windows, it has increased potential customers
2. It has nothing to lose as Mac is considered better than Windows, so a Apple owner won't be inclined to run Windows program, but on the other hand it increases potential customers who are hooked on to Windows based software
3. To prompt non-Microsoft software manufacturers like Adobe, Corel etc to make just one version compatible with both Mac and Windows.
4. Persuade Microsoft to make its Office Suite and other software compatible to both OSs.
4. Finally, pave way for PCs to be run on Mac Operating System..and make mince meat of Microsoft products

rgds
VT-ASJ
ala re ala, VT-ALA ala

jap

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:39 pm

Look what you made me do!!!
What A.net Threads Can Lead To... (by Jap Apr 6 2006 in Non Aviation)

grumpy  This thread and all its mac talk just made me buy an iBook G4 (yeees, I do know windows ain't gonna run on that- I'll be more than happy with OSX)- I hope you're happy!

I am Big grin
Scandinavian chick with a scandinavian horse- oh yeah! :D

Klaus

Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Aseem (Reply 47):
1. By allowing Apple computers to run on Windows, it has increased potential customers

Absolutely! Now there's even less that could hold people back from switching.

2. It has nothing to lose as Mac is considered better than Windows, so a Apple owner won't be inclined to run Windows program, but on the other hand it increases potential customers who are hooked on to Windows based software

Yep.

3. To prompt non-Microsoft software manufacturers like Adobe, Corel etc to make just one version compatible with both Mac and Windows.

That's the critical point - of course there should still be versions of the packages native to OS X in order to actually exploit the advantages of OS X. (There are many OS X exclusive applications.)

4. Persuade Microsoft to make its Office Suite and other software compatible to both OSs.

Already done! I (have to) use it nearly every day!
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

4. Finally, pave way for PCs to be run on Mac Operating System..and make mince meat of Microsoft products

Apple won't do that - they want to sell hardware - and keeping OS X exclusive to Apple hardware is a key advantage over all their competitors who are limited to only Windows (Linux is an option for all). Neither Dell nor any of the others can match this advantage, and I don't see Apple giving that away. All the others are fully dependent on Microsoft, only Apple can make its own strategy and tactics.

Even though Microsoft will sell a few additional Windows packages at first, this move could in fact seriously undermine Windows in the longer run - if Windows progressively degenerates to a gaming platform, as a kind of "software X-Box", Microsoft is really in a bind...

Corporate software has already begun to move towards web applications which can be used from any "terminal" computer with a browser, independent of its operating system and with no need to run corporate-wide client re-install marathons all the time (or for dealing with corporate infestation management). With progressing standardization, office tasks can increasingly be executed pretty much on any platform. No real need for Windows there either.

Microsoft certainly won't implode overnight, but they're clearly up the creek without a paddle at this time, and the only way for them is down.

If there's ever been a time to jump ship, it's now!

Quoting Jap (Reply 48):
This thread and all its mac talk just made me buy an iBook G4 (yeees, I do know windows ain't gonna run on that- I'll be more than happy with OSX)- I hope you're happy!

Much more important is that you'll be happy!  bigthumbsup 
You're welcome!  Smile