7LBAC111
Topic Author

F1: Toyota And Gascoyne Split

Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:13 am

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4878554.stm

Quote:
But he is renowned for his strong character and confident manner, and is resolute about the way in which he wants his teams to work.

Roughly translated, he's a selfish tw*t who doesn't like it when people want to do things differently"

7L

[Edited 2006-04-05 23:14:21]
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

bill142

RE: F1: Toyota And Gascoyne Split

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Whats the bet hes on gardening leave, again, and is annonced as the new technical director of McLaren later in the year.

cornish

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Thread starter):
Roughly translated, he's a selfish tw*t who doesn't like it when people want to do things differently"

Well To be fair to him Gascoigne has a damn good track record of turning teams into winners. He turned up at Jordan and made them winners, he did the same at Renault too and Toyota has certainly moved up the grid since he was there.

But his abrasive style was never gone to sit well with the Japanese suits. I remember seeing him caught on TV once at the British Grand Prix not long after he had joined Jordan. Jordan as ever was busy filling the garage with the usual celebrities and having a party. Gascoigne was busy muttering "while everyone else is getting on with the business of trying to win the grand prix, we're just p**sing around". He had a point of course and once he started putting his foot down Jordan were actually successful until he moved on.

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 1):
Whats the bet hes on gardening leave, again, and is annonced as the new technical director of McLaren later in the year.

Wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest - and i can imagine him fitting in well there too.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

studentflyer

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Let's see how they perform now... I wonder if RS's 3rd could be bettered after Gascoyne left.. And I do wonder, how competitive will Toyota be? They've got 2 of the more pro drivers, yet, what's happening now?

cornish

Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting StudentFlyer (Reply 3):
Let's see how they perform now... I wonder if RS's 3rd could be bettered after Gascoyne left.. And I do wonder, how competitive will Toyota be? They've got 2 of the more pro drivers, yet, what's happening now?

And stability is something that Toyota needs. They've been hiring and firing at a rapid rate since they joined F1. All that turnover is not going to move them forward. They've got a big development of the car coming in a few races time that may move them forward. Gascoigne's departure shouldn't affect that too much, but long term it won't help them too much, especially if they continue to hire and fire.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

bill142

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:01 pm

Quoting StudentFlyer (Reply 3):
I wonder if RS's 3rd could be bettered after Gascoyne left.. And I do wonder, how competitive will Toyota be?

Renault got faster after Gascoyne left.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 2):
Wouldn't surprise me at all to be honest - and i can imagine him fitting in well there too

McLaren management aren't known to sit back and dilly dally around. His style might be good for them, although Mike Coughlan has been producing some good machinery for them in recent times.

cornish

Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 pm

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 5):
Renault got faster after Gascoyne left.

Very true but he started the process that got them there. Much of the key people (Pat Symonds excepted) were brought in by him.

Tifoso

Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:31 pm

Excellent decision by Toyota. They were going nowhere under Gascoyne. Their flash of brilliance last year might be down to the extremely superior M tires (and the B tires this year may be a reason for the poor performance).

The team needs a shakeup. They have invested about 3 billion dollars now (2002-2006), and their performance is disastrous for that kind of money!