dl021

For Whom Will You Vote In Next Us Pres. Election?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:19 am

I'm not sure, but right now it looks like it's going to be Giuliani or Romney for me, unless someone else really good comes along.

I don't really see anyone in the Democrat camp that I'd vote for (although that governor from Virginia may not be all that bad).
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

searpqx

RE: For Whom Will You Vote In Next Us Pres. Election?

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:24 am

Um, can we at least get past the Mid-terms? This far out I really don't think you can say who the candidates will be. Who in March '02 would've seriously thought that Kerry would be the nominee.

I will say that Giuliani would interest me. Romney is an absolute no, as is the VA Gov.. Other than that, I'm actually trying to ignore the chatter for just a little while longer.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Cadet57

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:26 am

Quoting DL021 (Thread starter):
Giuliani

checkmark 

Romney

No! this man has done nothing for our state, tried to block gay marraige and overran the Big Waste of money for a tunnel that still leaks an causes me delays to BOS, oops I ment Big Dig... plus the fact that he thinks the state line is in worcester, not here in western mass....

And if Hilary becomes pres, im movin to canada....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

NeilYYZ

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:27 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 2):
And if Hilary becomes pres, im movin to canada

I would too, although I'm already here.

But if Guiliani becomes pres, I'll move to the states.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

bushpilot

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:31 am

At this point Im going to write in Mick E. Mousse. There will be a fresh batch of GOP folks in the hunt and hopefully some new Dems to go along with the usual crowd, Ill make up my mind when I find out who is actually running.

lentigomaligna

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:33 am

Giuliani

Perhaps, taking a lot of credit for being the mayor of a city that just got attacked though.

Romney

As someone who lived in Salt Lake City in 2002: Oh dear God No! Not a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks (as he would say).

thepilot

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:34 am

I'll vote for someone who knows how to do the job and do it well, regardless of party affilation.
From YVR

ArmitageShanks

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:37 am

At this point I will vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate will be.

It's too early to know.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:39 am

yawn  yawn  yawn 

Here we go again.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, anyone who seriously means that is a sorry excuse for an American.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

texan

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:39 am

I'm going to write in Jim Hightower.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

halls120

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:42 am

given that there are no announced candidates, why bother thinking about it?
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

AirCop

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:42 am

Romney for me

Not a chance. The right wing religous wing nuts of the Republican party will not support a mormon.

Cadet57

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 8):
I've said it before and i'll say it again, anyone who seriously means that is a sorry excuse for an American.

maybe not seriously but just enought that i looked for an apartment in YYZ  Wink But honestly, youd support that bat if she was our president. Mind you, I dont say that because she is a woman, I say that becuase she is an idiot...
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

planespotting

RE: For Whom Will You Vote In Next Us Pres. Electi

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:48 am

Joe Biden (D-DE).

He is the senior senator from Delaware, and his name has been mentioned a few times for the office. I really like what he has to say, and I plan to throw myself headlong into his campaign (on March 27 he announced his candidacy).

edit - correction

[Edited 2006-04-07 03:51:47]
Do you like movies about gladiators?

767Lover

Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 1):
This far out I really don't think you can say who the candidates will be.

Remember Howard Dean?  silly 

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 12):

maybe not seriously but just enought that i looked for an apartment in YYZ Wink But honestly, youd support that bat if she was our president. Mind you, I dont say that because she is a woman, I say that becuase she is an idiot...

Not ideally, but I said the same thing about the 'im leaving if Bush wins' folks.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:07 am

Even if it Hillery Clinton, I'll vote as I have since 1972 for the Democratic canidate! I am a die-hard, 'card carrying', registered and active member of the Democratic Party.

S12PPL

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:10 am

Let's just hope there's an America to be won. Bush is doing a great job of screwing this country over.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

searpqx

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 14):
Remember Howard Dean?

BINGO!

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 17):
Let's just hope there's an America to be won.

?

dl021

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:26 am

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 5):
Giuliani

Perhaps, taking a lot of credit for being the mayor of a city that just got attacked though.

What do you mean?

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 6):
I'll vote for someone who knows how to do the job and do it well, regardless of party affilation.

OK...well said. Any ideas who you'd vote for if it was tomorrow and the likely suspects were actually running?

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 7):
At this point I will vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate will be

It won't be Brown. Think you can get Boortz to run?

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 10):
given that there are no announced candidates, why bother thinking about it?

Because it's interesting and this will be the first horse race in a while with no clear candidate from either side dominating the picture. It's only a few months away from people gearing their pre-primary campaigns up.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 16):
Even if it Hillery Clinton, I'll vote as I have since 1972 for the Democratic canidate! I am a die-hard, 'card carrying', registered and active member of the Democratic Party.

Dude, you can't even spell the womans name. Straight line party voting is part of the problem in today's political environment. Candidates that feel invulnerable are the ones who block progress and engage in the bitterest partisan fighting.

Let's just hope there's an America to be won. Bush is doing a great job of screwing this country over.

A bit overdramatic.....you still pissed about Florida beating that ass?
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

S12PPL

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 20):
A bit overdramatic.....you still pissed about Florida beating that ass?

No, pissed that Bush is driving this country into the ground at a pretty good clip.

With an approval rating like that...One that hasn't been seen in this country in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time...he ought to be embarassed.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

lentigomaligna

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:31 am

What do you mean?

I mean, he's taking a lot of credit for being the mayor when 9/11 occurred without really having to do a whole lot. Whether or not he got rid of crime in New York is also debatable. I'm not saying Giuliani is a bad candidate, because in some ways I like him, but I think people have made him out to be something he's not.

767Lover

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:36 am

Straight line party voting is part of the problem in today's political environment. Candidates that feel invulnerable are the ones who block progress and engage in the bitterest partisan fighting.

checkmark 

MattCLE

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:39 am

Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico)  yes 

-Matt  Smile
Bear Claw, Free Fall, A Gunner's View

searpqx

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:46 am

Straight line party voting is part of the problem in today's political environment. Candidates that feel invulnerable are the ones who block progress and engage in the bitterest partisan fighting.

Another bingo! Our founding fathers never envisioned the dual party system in place today, and would probably shudder at what its done to the governance of this country. I'll vote for whomever best addresses the issues as I see them. Lately that’s been mostly Dems, but I very happily voted for Reagan and will vote Repub again if they field a candidate that returns to the traditional concepts of the Republican Party.

ArmitageShanks

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:50 am

It won't be Brown. Think you can get Boortz to run?

Haha, what a trip that would be! There would be some interesting changes. I don't think the LP party like him very much though.

I'm betting Michael Badnarik will run again.

TIA

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting Lentigomaligna (Reply 22):

I mean, he's taking a lot of credit for being the mayor when 9/11 occurred without really having to do a whole lot. Whether or not he got rid of crime in New York is also debatable. I'm not saying Giuliani is a bad candidate, because in some ways I like him, but I think people have made him out to be something he's not.

I tend to agree with this. Even though he did do wonders for NYC, and the city owes a lot to him, I believe that he got more credit than he deserved when 9/11 happened. You have to remember that by the end of his tenure, many people had had enough of him, and only the terrible events of 9/11 improved his image a lot. Another thing about Guliani, is that he is not a good team player, for whatever that's worth.

767Lover

Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 26):
Think you can get Boortz to run?

Haha, what a trip that would be! There would be some interesting changes.

Boortz would actually make an interesting candidate.

He offers a little something for everyone:

* He's pro-gay marriage
* He's against eminent domain
* He's for the fair tax
* I don't know his stance on abortion, because he refuses to talk about that issue or take calls on it.

One thing I don't agree with is his stance on pit bulls. He hates them and says all pit bulls are dangerous.

MKEdude

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Romney isn't going anywhere in the Republican party. He ran as a moderate in '02 (the only way to win in Mass.) Then when he started to get a national rep. he found religion. The way he changed positions on so many issues (stem cells, abortion, gay rights) then not running for re-election, was so transparent towards positioning himself in the national Republican party people are going to see him for what he is...a snake oil selling bullshit artist desperate for the limelight.

Guiliani isn't going to play in the south, other candidates will kill him on values issues.

Right now the smart money is on McCain but there is definitely room for some dark horses to slip in Colorado governor Bill Owens, and Kansas senator Sam Brownback are two I'm watching.

For the Democrats, Hillary has raised so much money that it may all be moot. But it's early, and I would watch Indiana Senator Evan Bayh and former Virginia governor Mark Warner.

It's early, just my  twocents 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

b6sea

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 pm

Condoleeza!

hahahah, probably Giuliani though

-Chans

FlyguyAZ

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:53 pm

As a democrat I say the best candidate this far out would be Evan Bayh (senator from Indiana). This guy was an incredibly popular governor in a very conservative state who was re-elected by the largest margin in Indiana history because he practiced responsible politics. When he left office Indiana had the largest surplus in history, and he has been in the senate now for about eight years (I think?).

Giuliani will NEVER get the republican nomination. He is pro-gay rights, pro-choice and basically anti- everything the republican right is for (and we all know that the republican right have the balls of the party). Plus, I am not sure what his background is, but being mayor (even of NYC) doesn't exactly qualify you for the White House. And yes, I know, there really aren't any qualifications laid out in the constitution other than age, but maybe he needs to try and win a senate seat or governorship first.

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 25):
I very happily voted for Reagan and will vote Repub again if they field a candidate that returns to the traditional concepts of the Republican Party.

So, what Reaganesque traditional concepts of the Republican party would you be referring to?

Record budget deficits? Trickle down economics? Arms for hostages? Blissful ignorance of the poor and underserved? Refusing to acknowledge the AIDS crisis? Undercutting funding for the mentally ill (who then become mentally ill AND homeless instead of just mentally ill)? Increasing defense spending by 90%? While Reagan cut social security, medicaid, and school lunches, the Pentagon was spending $34 million AN HOUR at one point early in Reagan's terms.

Now, admittedly, I am not a Republican so perhaps I don't understand these things, but is this the kind've Republican party you can see youself voting for?
Future ER Doc!

stlgph

Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:56 pm

The Democrats are digging up Kennedy and they're running him again!

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 29):
For the Democrats, Hillary has raised so much money that it may all be moot. But it's early, and I would watch Indiana Senator Evan Bayh and former Virginia governor Mark Warner.

I'd like to see a Bayh/Clinton ticket or a Bayh/Warner ticket.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

FlyguyAZ

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 29):
Right now the smart money is on McCain but there is definitely room for some dark horses to slip in Colorado governor Bill Owens, and Kansas senator Sam Brownback are two I'm watching.

I don't know much about Owens, but good lord don't let it be Brownback. The only difference between his religious zealotry and Bush's is that at least Bush somewhat tried to mask it for the sake of getting elected. Brownback is just a theocrat plain and simple.

McCain is McCain--he has some redeeming qualities (as hardcore democrat as I am, i actually voted for the guy). He has certainly been a tool now and then over the past few years. And he will be 72 or 73 in 2008. Now I dont have anything against old people, but that means that at the end of his first term he will be 76!! Do we really want a septuagenarian leading this country at the front end of the 21st century?

The last time we had an old Republican president....well...see my post above.
Future ER Doc!

zotan

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:24 pm

I would vote for Obama, but its probably too early to run him. Maybe someone will pick him as their VP though.

SFOMEX

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:26 pm

McCain/Santorum  checkmark   checkmark 
The only thing worst than the GOP is the Democratic Party, think about it!

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:32 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 35):
Santorum

vomit  vomit  vomit 

Seen his latest ramblings on Europe?

SFOMEX

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:39 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 36):
Seen his latest ramblings on Europe?

No, what did he say?

stlgph

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:40 pm

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 34):
I would vote for Obama, but its probably too early to run him. Maybe someone will pick him as their VP though.

exactly. ten years from now ... different story.

Santorum

i'd really like to try the crack you are on.

ANCFlyer

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:49 pm

sarcastic  Great . . . . bail out instead sticking it out . . . .

Let's just hope there's an America to be won.

sarcastic  again . . . ridiculous comment.

Straight line party voting is part of the problem in today's political environment.

BIG  checkmark 

I think the states ought to remove that option from the ballot altogether. It's a waste. People that vote straight party ticket are ignornant of the facts and positions of the candidates. They simply vote for the party because they've neither the time nor intelligence to think for themselves on any issue . . . quite sad really. Almost - almost - as bad as not voting at all.

McCain . . . he will get my vote if he runs. Hopefully his VP won't be a less than stellar performer.

If McCain doesn't run, it will be a tough call for me. I don't see anyone yet I like well enough to give the big chair to . . .

Santorum  no 
Romney  scratchchin 
Rice  rotfl 
Clinton  no 
Dean  cry  yell 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

jpetekyxmd80

RE: For Whom Will You Vote In Next Us Pres. Electi

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting SFOMEX (Reply 37):

No, what did he say?

Basically, 'Europe is dying'.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions...ion/read.main/1169808/6/#ID1169808

stlgph

Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:56 pm

what hasn't Santorum said?

www.santorumexposed.com

i love it!

MKEdude

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:16 am

Quoting ZOTAN (Reply 34):

It's too early for Obama, he needs more seasoning. Obama is going to be on a national ticket someday but not anytime soon. If you are Obama you don't want to risk doing what Edwards did, Edwards was once the heir-apparent of the Democratic party too but he jumped too soon and now he is on the outside looking in.

Santorum

Rick Santorum is the picture of everything that is wrong with the Republican party today, most Republicans don't even take him seriously. He is in deep shit this year with Bob Casey running against him. God willing and the creeks don't rise, he will be out of a job by January
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

desertjets

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:32 am

Mark Warner... no doubt about it.

since leaving office he has been fairly visible on the national scene. Just that he hasn't caught the eye of national media, who have delusions that Hillary has a snowballs chance. You have a fairly common sense moderate, who managed to do very well in Virginia, where governor's typically don't have all that much power compared to the Assembly. Plus the guy is from a southern state and is pretty open about his own personal faith. He has the heartland appeal that Rudy Giuliani doesn't have, and Hillary Clinton can never get.

However at this point the DNC is such a mess that I am not sure how successful a candidate from outside of Washington can be at this point.

Biden is an interesting possibility. I always enjoy watching him speak. He is certainly more animated than many politicians are. Though in the end I have to look back at history and see how many Senators fail to run successful campaigns for President.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

stirling

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:45 am

Isn't the question a little premature?

And do the candidates really make any difference anyway?

Saw a lecture from a well respected political scientist, his hypothesis was that if Kerry had won, the average American would have seen little change in government.

The Iraqi situation, would have developed on its own, not in the same fashion as under Bush, but it would have still been with us. Because the true force remains in power no matter who occupies the oval office, and that is the Corporations. And to a certain degree, wars are good for economy.
And if not Iraq, it would have been somewhere else....take your pick.

The military machine, which by some accounts, is responsible for upwards of 85% of all R&D spending in the USA, needs an outlet for said investment...hence, we have a war.

The presidential race, is nothing more than a popularity contest....

I don't want to believe it, but as time goes by, the reality becomes painfully clear.
Delete this User

b757300

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:50 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 28):
* I don't know his stance on abortion, because he refuses to talk about that issue or take calls on it.

Boortz supports abortion without any restrictions.

If I had to pick right now, it would be Senator George Allen from Virgina.

That said, I'm not paying too much attention to who may or may not run in 2008. Right now all the polls are simply showing who has the most name recognition. In 1998 George W. Bush wasn't seen by any of the pundits as seriously running for President.

I'll say this, there are two Republicans I will never vote for no matter what. One is John McCain and the other is Tom Tancredo.
"There is no victory at bargain basement prices."

slider

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting ArmitageShanks (Reply 7):
At this point I will vote for whoever the Libertarian candidate will be.

Me too...or the Constitution Party, depends on who it is.

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 13):
I really like what he has to say, and I plan to throw myself headlong into his campaign (on March 27 he announced his candidacy).

Just be sure to proof Biden's campaign materials, if you know what I mean...

Quoting FlyguyAZ (Reply 31):
As a democrat I say the best candidate this far out would be Evan Bayh (senator from Indiana).

I said 5 years ago that Bayh would be an up-and-comer within the party. He's more of a centrist, and that's what the Democrats need to win...they need to kick out the wacko kookjob fringe element if they want to win.

Quoting Stirling (Reply 44):
And do the candidates really make any difference anyway?

For the 2 major parties of the oligarchy? No. That's the sad part. And more validation to why we need a viable 3rd party and 3rd party candidate to really shake things up.

SFOMEX

Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:56 am

Quoting B757300 (Reply 45):
the other is Tom Tancredo.

I second that.

texan

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:00 am

Quoting MattCLE (Reply 24):
Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico)

I like Bill Richardson. I would probably vote for him if he ran. While Democrats have been throwing his name around as a candidate, he has frequently stated that he prefers to stay in his home state of New Mexico. New Mexico has a lot of work that needs to be done, and he is making that his first priority.

Democratic names to keep an eye on: Mark Warner, Brian Schweitzer (Governor of Montana), Evan Bayh, Tom Vilsack (Governor of Iowa), John Edwards (again). All moderates in this group. These candidates ranked by current strength are: 1. Warner; 2. Bayh; 3. Edwards; 4. Schweitzer; 5. Vilsack.

The Republican candidates are all over the map. Moderates, traditionalists, and religious zealots. It all depends on which branch of the party shows up at the nominating convention.

I still plan to write in former Texas Agricultural Commish Jim Hightower, America's most popular populist!

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

airxliban

Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:23 am

I voted for Nader in the last election and will do so again if he runs (doubt he will).

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 6):

I doubt such a person will be on the ballot.
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.